Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Yep, they're really nice. The trans is the best part of the car probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

-Inu- posted:

My dad recently bought an '07 S60 FWD with ~140k on the odometer. He just had all of the standard maintenance done - timing belt/waterpump/pcv/cam gaskets and all that good stuff. My question is, what the hell should I do with the transmission? It's working great at the moment, but I'm sure the fluid is shot. Do I risk a drain and fill at this mileage? I've heard differing opinions, and I'd really, really hate to advise my dad do something and wind up blowing his trans (he knows nothing about modern cars so he's relying on me for advice).

Is it the 5-speed auto? If it's shifting fine now changing the fluid shouldn't do any harm, but on the other hand if it's shifting fine now I wouldn't sweat changing it that much. If you do decide to do a drain and fill use JWS 3309 compatible fluid (Mobil 3309 is a good one, so's Toyota T-IV), measure what comes out, and replace only that quantity. The dipstick is only accurate at certain fluid temperatures and if you don't have VIDA you can't get that information easily.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
What's the go to cheapo vica/dice setup these days?

MrDeSaussure
Jul 20, 2008

zundfolge posted:

Is it the 5-speed auto? If it's shifting fine now changing the fluid shouldn't do any harm, but on the other hand if it's shifting fine now I wouldn't sweat changing it that much. If you do decide to do a drain and fill use JWS 3309 compatible fluid (Mobil 3309 is a good one, so's Toyota T-IV), measure what comes out, and replace only that quantity. The dipstick is only accurate at certain fluid temperatures and if you don't have VIDA you can't get that information easily.

The IPD kit that relies on disconnecting the transmission cooler and pumping out a quart at a time, and replacing it with fresh fluid has kept my FWD S60 shifting like new with over 200k on the clock. Bought my Mobil 3309 in a case off Amazon for cheap. You don't strictly need IPD's kit, but you will need the stupid little plastic clip that secures the line into the cooler. It will usually break.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know what the 12V and grounds wire colors are on a 2005 V50 6 CD with "Premium" audio?

I'm trying to install this GROM MST4 thing and OF COURSE their directions don't match what's in my car.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Anyone got a spare B5234T3 laying around? :v:

My '99 C70 T5M got hungry while climbing a mountain on the interstate the other night and made a snack out of an exhaust valve (educated guess, my leakdown kit is still packed up) in cylinder #3. It's got 221k miles on it so I'd prefer to just replace the entire engine rather than slap a junkyard head on a high mileage bottom end.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 18, 2017

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
What's the lifespan of a timing belt from a 1997 850 n/a?

I had mine replaced, along with the tensioner, pulley and water pump, in late 2010. In that time, I've only put 26,000 miles on it. Do I need to replace it?

edit: nevermind, bought a belt. Just the belt though. Gonna see what condition the pulleys and tensioner are in but I expect they'll all still be good.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 19, 2017

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Terrible Robot posted:

Anyone got a spare B5234T3 laying around? :v:

My '99 C70 T5M got hungry while climbing a mountain on the interstate the other night and made a snack out of an exhaust valve (educated guess, my leakdown kit is still packed up) in cylinder #3. It's got 221k miles on it so I'd prefer to just replace the entire engine rather than slap a junkyard head on a high mileage bottom end.

I do, where are you? Engine is pulled from a 2000 C70 T5M with 50k miles on it. Shipping will likely be a couple hundred, and I want like $700 for the engine. Probably smarter to shop locally, but yes I do have that engine.

CornHolio posted:

What's the lifespan of a timing belt from a 1997 850 n/a?

I had mine replaced, along with the tensioner, pulley and water pump, in late 2010. In that time, I've only put 26,000 miles on it. Do I need to replace it?

edit: nevermind, bought a belt. Just the belt though. Gonna see what condition the pulleys and tensioner are in but I expect they'll all still be good.

Belts from that era are basically 70k or 7 years so good call. On the other hand, it's usually the rotating parts that fail when a failure happens. Tensioner/idler bearing or water pump. Might want to reconsider.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have a 2005 V50 T5 AWD, somehow lucked into a 6 speed manual. Speaking of, the shifter feels like crap and makes squeeky plastic sounds. Please advise. I use to have a NA Miata, so I may be a bit spoiled re: shifter feel.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

LloydDobler posted:

I do, where are you? Engine is pulled from a 2000 C70 T5M with 50k miles on it. Shipping will likely be a couple hundred, and I want like $700 for the engine. Probably smarter to shop locally, but yes I do have that engine.

I'm in Virginia but I'm interested; pretty much all the engines in my area/on car-part are $600-800 with more than twice the mileage.

PM sent :)

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

obeyasia posted:

I have a 2005 V50 T5 AWD, somehow lucked into a 6 speed manual. Speaking of, the shifter feels like crap and makes squeeky plastic sounds. Please advise. I use to have a NA Miata, so I may be a bit spoiled re: shifter feel.

Step 1 is to lube it, step 2 is go to swedespeed forums and read up in there and see if anyone else has that problem. I just did an engine swap in a 6 speed C70 last summer and the shifter felt fantastic. If it's a common problem you'll find an answer there.

obeyasia
Sep 21, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LloydDobler posted:

Step 1 is to lube it, step 2 is go to swedespeed forums and read up in there and see if anyone else has that problem. I just did an engine swap in a 6 speed C70 last summer and the shifter felt fantastic. If it's a common problem you'll find an answer there.

Thanks.

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010
Will these tires fit my 1970 Volvo 164?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...minLoadRating=S

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Yeah they should. They're specifically made for cars of your vintage.

You can go wider if you want, my 122 was on 185/65 tires when I got it. They're squeezed on the rims but they work. Your rims are wider than mine by an inch.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Speaking of tire fitment on Volvos.

I did a thing.

lol

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010

LloydDobler posted:

Yeah they should. They're specifically made for cars of your vintage.

You can go wider if you want, my 122 was on 185/65 tires when I got it. They're squeezed on the rims but they work. Your rims are wider than mine by an inch.

Are you sure? Mine are like 4.5". Later 164s were 5.5 I think.

Thanks for the info as always.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Noise Complaint posted:

Speaking of tire fitment on Volvos.

I did a thing.

lol

White letters out, please.

Otherwise :getin:

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

No white letters on this size grabber :<

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Noise Complaint posted:

No white letters on this size grabber :<

Better buy a paint marker then.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pfft, just need to step up a bit more and go for red.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

EvellSnoats posted:

Are you sure? Mine are like 4.5". Later 164s were 5.5 I think.

Thanks for the info as always.

Actually I'm not sure, but even still the tires will fit.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Good deal or bad deal?

Considering buying it and selling my '97 850 5-speed. My 850 has lower mileage but is probably in worse shape. As a winter beater, a turbo AWD wagon is enticing.

The snow tires I got for my 850 (regular V70 wheels) would fit, right? Or is there something funny with the AWD that would cause them to not fit?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

No fitment issues whatsoever. Only possibility is if the car was optioned or upgraded to 12 inch brakes up front then 15 inch wheels won't fit. But that's a big if, most P80 cars didn't have them.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

LloydDobler posted:

No fitment issues whatsoever. Only possibility is if the car was optioned or upgraded to 12 inch brakes up front then 15 inch wheels won't fit. But that's a big if, most P80 cars didn't have them.

My V70 wheels are 16" anyway so that's not a problem

edit:

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 25, 2017

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
That XC is a pretty good buy considering all that maintenance, my '98 has 250K on it and aside from the cacophony of dash squeaks and its Mystery Front-End Shake™ it could make it to 300K easy, I'm sure. My only concern with it would be that a lot of P80 AWD parts are getting discontinued by Volvo lately and it might be hard to find some things (axles, especially) if they break.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Thank you for making your thermostat housing a 2-piece unit, Volvo. And thank you for making neither the center gasket nor the thermostat purchasable seperately, requiring the entire thermostat assembly be purchased instead. And of course this part isn't kept in stock anywhere nearby, so I get to wait until today for that part to arrive so I can fix something that broke on Saturday.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Sup 1970 164 buddy?

Anyone know of Volvo clubs / people in Albuquerque? I'm trying to get my 164 tuned... it's a bit rough starting and really likes to miss while idling at a stop light. I'd thought I fixed it when I set the points a while back and it drove to work fine, but on the way home I thought it was going to die every time I pulled away from a stop.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Slim Pickens posted:

Thank you for making your thermostat housing a 2-piece unit, Volvo. And thank you for making neither the center gasket nor the thermostat purchasable seperately, requiring the entire thermostat assembly be purchased instead. And of course this part isn't kept in stock anywhere nearby, so I get to wait until today for that part to arrive so I can fix something that broke on Saturday.

You can retrofit it to the pre-2003 style if you want cheaper thermostats. I did on my 03 C70 with no ill effects.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Noise Complaint posted:

What's the go to cheapo vica/dice setup these days?

I would like to know this as well. I'm seriously considering ordering this thing. It seems a bit sketchy, but according to the customer reviews it's supposed to function. It couldn't possibly be worse than the pirated Mercedes specific scanner I was messing with some time back, that one needed a PC with windows XP or older and an old-timey serial port to function, with extremely clunky, virus-ridden software, though I actually got it to work just fine in the end. Old computers are certainly cheap enough to have a dedicated non-internetted one around just to run the car interface gadget.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Invalido posted:

I would like to know this as well. I'm seriously considering ordering this thing. It seems a bit sketchy, but according to the customer reviews it's supposed to function. It couldn't possibly be worse than the pirated Mercedes specific scanner I was messing with some time back, that one needed a PC with windows XP or older and an old-timey serial port to function, with extremely clunky, virus-ridden software, though I actually got it to work just fine in the end. Old computers are certainly cheap enough to have a dedicated non-internetted one around just to run the car interface gadget.

Read up on installation of those before you buy. Sounds like a nightmare.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Yes, the step-by-step is pretty involved. The sketchy MB scanner was even more complicated, but I got that to work after about three attempts and resurrecting an ancient PC with a 9-pin serial port, since the included USB adapter wouldn't work quite right.

Anyways the thing is ordered so I can hopefully report in a month or three whether it's any good.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
I just bought a similar one off eBay for about he same price, so I'll be able to chime in in about a couple weeks as well :homebrew:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
I'd suggest a VM, rather than a dedicated XP machine.

Don't end up like McLaren, needing a specific Compaq laptop to run the F1's diagnostic software.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
I have one of those... been trying for over a year to get it working right. Unfortunately the only laptop I have is also the one I use for work so I don't want to screw with it too much. I got the VM setup and IE 9 installed...but each time I try to connect I can't get through that step...it's been very finicky..

Edit: Also anyone have good tricks for getting the maintenance warning message to stop? I tried the reset procedure multiple times with no result, is there a trick I'm not getting?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Sold my old faithful V70 T5 manual on Friday. Sad times. Second longest I've ever owned a car, (8 years to the month) and second highest miles I've ever put on one car (109k) I put more miles on my first 122, but I only owned it 6 years. This car would have beaten that except I shared the miles with my convertible.

Oxphocker posted:

Edit: Also anyone have good tricks for getting the maintenance warning message to stop? I tried the reset procedure multiple times with no result, is there a trick I'm not getting?

The procedure that always works for me is this:

Key to position 1
within 1 sec press and hold trip odometer button
within 1 sec key to position 2
Keep holding till something blinks, about 10 seconds
let go and start the car.
Message gone next time you start it.

Most people say let go and remove key but that doesn't always work for me.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

bastard squeaky brakes for first thirty seconds after I start the car, both front and one side on the back. fine after that ( I guess after they've warmed up). 2004 v50 t5: any ideas?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Does the squeal come when you press the pedal or when you don't, or regardless?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Grease or shims always solve squeaky brakes for me.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
How old are your pads/rotors? One or both might need to be replaced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It's only when I brake and only the first couple of times. I think the front rotors and pads are reasonably new? The mechanic suggested replacing the pads with a different compound and putting some gunk on them, sounds like that's the best option.