Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I found a panniers set and rack from a 990 adv on craigslist for $100. Hilarity ensued:

I ran outta consumables before i could start fab on the adapter bracket for the top box.
Mo pics prior to painting:
http://imgur.com/a/J5mFZ

this will probably destroy the factory subframe...i'll deal with that later. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M42
Nov 12, 2012

numbahs

no workshop, no problem

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Ugh I hate those circlip pliers so much. They're the only thing that'll work for what they're designed for but they still never work. We have like 4 pairs at the shop, 3 of them bent and grinded and modified in various ways to try to make them work better.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Yeah they're a pain, but I've never found one that works 100% anyway. They all kinda squash the circlip sideways as well as in/out.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I've always just used a pick to get one lip lifted and then slide it under to pop it off, but I'm sure it's not the best way to do. I should get a pair of those pliers.

Cursedshitbox that's a great deal for that whole set of boxes.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
so I recently got a 390 Duke for my sister to learn on, and as is tradition she dropped it at 0mph day one. So I ordered some cheapie pedals to replace the one that got bent up in the drop:

note the obvious difference in that pin hole size. Yeah. You get what you pay for! These will be going back to amazon since that pin hole difference produces a cantilever effect that makes the pedal fail to engage the brakes, even if you literally stand on it.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Finished the wiring for my aux lights, light controller, and FuzeBlock, installed the integrated LED tail light, reinstalled all the body work, got the lights aimed so they hopefully don't blind the poo poo out of oncoming traffic.

Left on the to-do list: install crash bars, make Y-harness for LED tails so they work with the tail light, swap windscreen/install GPS mount + phone cradle + run power to it, install new banjos with speed bleeders in the ABS unit and vacuum/reverse bleed the rear brake up to said bleeders.

Coydog, after wasting a weekend getting my lights set up, I was kicking myself for not just going with those Run-D lights. Running power and making a harness to get the VisionX lights hooked up to the light controller was a complete and total pain in the rear end because they use a separate dimming circuit. At least If I ever want to swap them to a "normal" set of LED aux lights I can re-use most of the harness I made. The VisionX lens covers do give a nice cutoff though, and they throw light WAY down the road on full blast.

Fun note: my gas tank is swelling (plastic tank + ethanol = fat tank). Right now that just means the gas cap is sitting a little proud of the body work, but it apparently can cause a bunch of issues like broken tank shrouds if it swells far enough. Guess I get to call a couple of dealers to see if Ducati will warranty it, and find one that will coat the new tank's interior w/ that Caswell epoxy before they install it.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
I've been riding almost all winter but I haven't done any real maintenance poo poo. Unattached garage. Scrubbed basically a half pound of surface rust off of my chain today. Moved my cell mount to the center of the bars (space issues with my heated grips controller), where I broke the mount because it didn't fit. Then I fixed it and made it fit. Dropped a bolt in between my tank and frame, can't wait to catch that with my rear tire tomorrow.

I probably have a bunch of interval bullshit and new tires to get in the next couple months anyways if I'm taking the 990 down to Arizona in August for my summer vacation.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
So the project ex 250 cranked up a week ago. I've done a single coat of red kote on the tank and I think I'm going to do a second.

Maybe I'll take a video if it idling in a week. That'd be cool. It's got what sounds like a little bit of rod knock. Changed the oil in hopes it was a little diluted from gas after sitting.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

XYLOPAGUS posted:

So the project ex 250 cranked up a week ago. I've done a single coat of red kote on the tank and I think I'm going to do a second.

Maybe I'll take a video if it idling in a week. That'd be cool. It's got what sounds like a little bit of rod knock. Changed the oil in hopes it was a little diluted from gas after sitting.

This is the classic EX250 "Ninja Knock". It's not caused by a bad rod bearing, but by worn rubber bushings somewhere in the clutch. You'll hear it every time the bike hasn't been run in a while.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Slide Hammer posted:

This is the classic EX250 "Ninja Knock". It's not caused by a bad rod bearing, but by worn rubber bushings somewhere in the clutch. You'll hear it every time the bike hasn't been run in a while.

Best news.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I finally got my heated grips installed on my DRZ. Ended up buying a cheap plastic quick turn throttle so the throttle side grip would actually fit it. It was in the low 80s while I was doing this, but my hands were very happy riding in the next morning.

I also did a really nerdy thing to my jacket because my co-workers refer to my gear as a Stormtrooper suit.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
-Fixed my heated grip faulty high mode
-Installed RallyRaid upgrade upper tank mounts
-Tucked and tidied a lot of messy wiring

-Did a full evap canisterectomy as well as removing the Secondary Air System. Very happy with the results, and simplifying the bike. No FI lights because I made 22k ohm dummy plugs for both systems.

The SMC is well on it's way to being fully sorted.

Deeters posted:

I finally got my heated grips installed on my DRZ. Ended up buying a cheap plastic quick turn throttle so the throttle side grip would actually fit it. It was in the low 80s while I was doing this, but my hands were very happy riding in the next morning.

I also did a really nerdy thing to my jacket because my co-workers refer to my gear as a Stormtrooper suit.

I like this. Also heated grips own.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
What was wrong with the grips?

BTW I found a spare of the switch that I used for those grips, it's from Parts Express - let me know if you want/need a part #

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
I installed a crash cage on the 390 duke, then spun it around the block to make sure the engine wouldn't fall off, which resulted in a nail in the rear tire that has 200 miles on it. How was YOUR saturday.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Coydog posted:

-Fixed my heated grip faulty high mode
-Installed RallyRaid upgrade upper tank mounts
-Tucked and tidied a lot of messy wiring

-Did a full evap canisterectomy as well as removing the Secondary Air System. Very happy with the results, and simplifying the bike. No FI lights because I made 22k ohm dummy plugs for both systems.

The SMC is well on it's way to being fully sorted.

I like this. Also heated grips own.

How'd you make the wheel stickers from your vinyl? Are they straight strips, or did you trace out circular sections and cut those out or something?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jazzzzz posted:

What was wrong with the grips?

BTW I found a spare of the switch that I used for those grips, it's from Parts Express - let me know if you want/need a part #

Not a clue, but I replaced the switch and now it works. If it fails again, I'll go looking closer at wire connections, but they looked good. Thanks for the offer on the switch, but I found some identical ones!

High Protein posted:

How'd you make the wheel stickers from your vinyl? Are they straight strips, or did you trace out circular sections and cut those out or something?

Just cut strips and laid them down along the curve of the wheel. Vinyl will curve at much sharper angles than the wheels, and it was an easy job.

mad.radhu posted:

I installed a crash cage on the 390 duke, then spun it around the block to make sure the engine wouldn't fall off, which resulted in a nail in the rear tire that has 200 miles on it. How was YOUR saturday.

Just be thankful you don't have tubes. Post more pix of that biek, too.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I'm returning my fz-09 back to stock and I go to get the exhaust out of the shed. Fuckin chipmunks filled it with nuts, FILLED. I should have hung it up but I didn't think they would use it as a nut storage device. Anyway, I shook out about 100 by hand and then put it on the bike and shot out like 50 more that way. There's still like 5 or 6 stuck in there so my bikes gonna smoke for god knows how long till they are burnt up. Little bastards.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well, at least now it should feel less squirrely

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I hear the torque on those triples is pretty nuts.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Dammit dude, you should have known all the unfunny posters in CA would harvest this kind of opportunity to make acorny joke, since ordinarily they wouldn't have a kernel of humor about them otherwise.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Yeah there's all kinds of roasting going on. I think I got most of them out now though the smoke seems to have cleared up.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I feel like I remember this exact thing happening to another goon in the last year or so. They had pictures.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Gorson was posting a month or so ago about finding his swingarm full of acorns.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

http://imgur.com/a/B0ugx
3d printed a bracket for a voltage gauge and finally installed it.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I remember when I was a kid, my dad bought a guzzi with some reverse cone mufflers on it and when they started it up, acorns started shooting out the exhaust. So I guess it's kind of a common issue :v:

Yesterday I took the new sumo for a ride at the tricities kart track. I still need to adjust a lot on the suspension and git gud at racing, but it's a big step up in performance versus the sm610.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

Slim Pickens posted:

I remember when I was a kid, my dad bought a guzzi with some reverse cone mufflers on it and when they started it up, acorns started shooting out the exhaust. So I guess it's kind of a common issue :v:

Yesterday I took the new sumo for a ride at the tricities kart track. I still need to adjust a lot on the suspension and git gud at racing, but it's a big step up in performance versus the sm610.

I don't know a whole lot about bikes yet, what's the uh... flask with all the tubing sticking out of it doing?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

mad.radhu posted:

I don't know a whole lot about bikes yet, what's the uh... flask with all the tubing sticking out of it doing?

overflow catch can for gas and oil and coolant probably

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
that barf can is amazing.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
What are those bands at the base of your anodized forks? KTM designed their fork guards to wear away the anodize on the forks (lol), and I could use that to cover it and keep it from getting worse.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Coydog posted:

What are those bands at the base of your anodized forks? KTM designed their fork guards to wear away the anodize on the forks (lol), and I could use that to cover it and keep it from getting worse.

http://slavensracing.com/shop/carbon-fork-guards-by-eline-for-ktm-husaberg/

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

mad.radhu posted:

Carb catch can so gas stays off the track. It needs some refinement and a final placement, probably at the front where the radiator catch is at.

Coydog posted:

They're plastic rings, I think they're just stock on the KYB SSS forks.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Apr 17, 2017

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

Do yours not have the little metal snap ring scrape guards around the edge of the forks? My KTM is a loving 2000 and it has them, I thought all WP forks had them in some flavour or another.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I have the little metal spring bracelet thing on the inner fork itself, but I mean those black bands at the bottom of his anodized portion, which keep the fork guard from rubbing off the anodize.

This is so tacky

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slim Pickens posted:

drat dude get a proper pin for that stand.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
lol it's a harbor freight stand, even if I hadn't lost the pin already, it wouldn't work near as well as that screwdriver. The holes never line up when it's all the way up.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

I changed the battery on my bike. Apparently I had left the old one on over winter. Womp Womp. Then I installed some handguards that I'd been eyeing.

And some grips and donuts.

and finally added some mirrors. My bike had gone wayyyy too long without mirrors.

Now I just need to figure out what to do with that hideous headlight.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Fishvilla posted:

I changed the battery on my bike. Apparently I had left the old one on over winter. Womp Womp. Then I installed some handguards that I'd been eyeing.

Your bike looks like an extremely angry fish. I like it.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
what are grip donuts for, exactly? I never ran them on my SMC and it was the only thumper I've ever had. I usually only see those things on dirt bikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Chichevache posted:

Your bike looks like an extremely angry fish. I like it.

Thanks (I think). It took a minute, but now I see what you mean. It makes me want to do up a Catfish Cowboy livery a la the Team Bearpope shield.

Jazzzzz posted:

what are grip donuts for, exactly? I never ran them on my SMC and it was the only thumper I've ever had. I usually only see those things on dirt bikes.

They're made to prevent blisters from forming on your thumbs when you ride. My understanding is that It's more common on dirt/sumo because you're more likely to have to regrip the bars. My DRZ came with a pair when I first got it, and I find them pretty comfortable, so I decided to replace them when I was in there doing grips and the such.