Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

mushroom_spore posted:

Looking forward to the Scotsman's Ghost vs. Blue Jack.

Holy poo poo that's gotta be what this is all about isn't it?

Having seen the whole thing now, I felt like the Evil Ellis Island scene was like, way too easy and on the nose. I liked the fight scene and I felt like that was better justification for Ashi realizing that Aku is bad news. Was weaker but set up some interesting stuff.

If the next episode is just Ashi meeting various characters of the week from the original series, probably culminating in the Scotsman, that's gonna be some good poo poo.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
I'm not sure who the scottish guy(i assume he was from the original series) was but I legit laughed at how unceremoniously he was fragged. Aku owns.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Yo internet, I'm gonna need an EXTRA THICC Aku comic with the Scotsman's daughters, TIA.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Servaetes posted:

I'm not sure who the scottish guy(i assume he was from the original series) was but I legit laughed at how unceremoniously he was fragged. Aku owns.

Besides Jack and Aku, the Scotsman was the only other recurring character, and Jack's only real ally in the future. That scene is great--it's characteristically crude behavior from him but in previous episodes he shows a certain shrewdness beneath his bluster. He knew exactly what he was doing and the right button to push to get Aku to forget about pursuing his daughters.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Is it just me, or did the voice acting seem 'off' during the 'Jack/Ashi escape the blue monsters' sequence?

Otherwise, great episode!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Servaetes posted:

The Scotmans death also got a good laugh out of me.

I just loved how quickly Aku destroyed their army. Aku is scary powerful even when depressed.

"Hm, perhaps annihilating this scum will break me out of my malaaaise."

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

i loving love that the scotsman's sword is still insanely bullshit and the only weapon that can match jack's bullshit magic sword

like not only is it able to match jack's sword, it literally makes him immortal

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

The Scotsman died doing what he loved: insulting other people.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

The Scotsman died doing what he loved: insulting other people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M11TUcHqwA

:scotland: :scotland: :scotland:

Scotsman was clearly the best part of the episode.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Let's remember the time he called some evil women she-dogs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ttc4Jbe4rcU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fereydun posted:

i loving love that the scotsman's sword is still insanely bullshit and the only weapon that can match jack's bullshit magic sword

like not only is it able to match jack's sword, it literally makes him immortal

I'm shocked that it broke. I didn't count on it letting him come back as a ghost so I thought they'd make Jack a new katana out of it.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

I like that what got Ashi to overcome the odds was the whole "children are so easily manipulated" speech. They probably could have made the connection more clear, but I guess it was alright

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Servaetes posted:

the scotsman and jack were basically perfect foils for each other and they have some of the best interactions of the original series

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I liked Episode 4 for the most part, but I guess I can understand why some people were down on it.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I liked this episode. Watching Ashi destroy Shockey Not-Bot was surprisingly enjoyable.

Also, goddamn, Scotsman, that's a lotta kids. :stare:

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

mandatory lesbian posted:

the scotsman and jack were basically perfect foils for each other and they have some of the best interactions of the original series

Seriously, anyone who hasn't needs to at least go watch "Jack and the Scotsman" immediately. Preferably also the two later Scotsman stories too.

I can't imagine watching the Scotsman and Jack FINALLY meet up again, whenever they do, will be even a tenth as awesome without that. :dance:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I cant' until Blue Scotsman gives Blue Jack so much poo poo.

STOP BEING A BABEY AND GET UR SWORD.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

the latest episode it wasn't as high-tension as the opening three, but i didn't think it was bad. if the jonah ep was the cooldown from the ninja chase, this feels like a hinge into whatever the next big plot section will be

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

mushroom_spore posted:

Seriously, anyone who hasn't needs to at least go watch "Jack and the Scotsman" immediately. Preferably also the two later Scotsman stories too.

I can't imagine watching the Scotsman and Jack FINALLY meet up again, whenever they do, will be even a tenth as awesome without that. :dance:

Theyre, like, totally cool.

Also I enjoyed sundowner getting killed.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

AriadneThread posted:

the latest episode it wasn't as high-tension as the opening three, but i didn't think it was bad. if the jonah ep was the cooldown from the ninja chase, this feels like a hinge into whatever the next big plot section will be

If the preview is anything to go by, the next episode will be Ashi chasing after a Jack who's gone missing and very likely off the deep end. This episode served its purpose by establishing Ashi's face turn, plus it also confirms that all the natural beauty on Earth is not the result of Aku's reign so much as it is the parts of the planet he hasn't bothered to destroy. I noticed people were asking about that earlier, so it's smart of the series to firmly answer that question.

As it is, these last two episodes have basically been the bridge between Jack's solo arc and Ashi's. Sort of an "I told you that story so I could tell you this one."

Thern
Aug 12, 2006

Say Hello To My Little Friend
I bet that the Scotsman will become the spirit needed to forge Jack's new sword.

Then every fight involves Jacks own sword insulting him during the fight.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

nerdman42 posted:

I like that what got Ashi to overcome the odds was the whole "children are so easily manipulated" speech. They probably could have made the connection more clear, but I guess it was alright

What I thought was interesting was how the guy in the suit went "oh poo poo :stare:" when she started to break out. I mean, I know we're dealing with a certain level of invincible bullshit, but she slipped having a claw clamped on her hands and feet and had the super strength to huck a guy in a huge robot suit across the room. I'm seriously starting to think that's not a costume and the Children have some of their father's powers.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Thern posted:

I bet that the Scotsman will become the spirit needed to forge Jack's new sword.

Then every fight involves Jacks own sword insulting him during the fight.

"I would have cut clean through IF I WAS MADE A CLAYMORE LIKE I ASKED YE"

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Chokes McGee posted:

What I thought was interesting was how the guy in the suit went "oh poo poo :stare:" when she started to break out. I mean, I know we're dealing with a certain level of invincible bullshit, but she slipped having a claw clamped on her hands and feet and had the super strength to huck a guy in a huge robot suit across the room. I'm seriously starting to think that's not a costume and the Children have some of their father's powers.

I would genuinely be surprised if the Aku cult wasn't dealing with some supernatural poo poo in some way.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Rigged Death Trap posted:

"I would have cut clean through IF I WAS MADE A CLAYMORE LIKE I ASKED YE"

"HOW CANNAE BATTLE EVIL WHEN I'M IN THE FORM O' THIS WEABOO RAZOR?!"

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Equeen posted:

I would genuinely be surprised if the Aku cult wasn't dealing with some supernatural poo poo in some way.

I've considered that since their mother had septuplets somehow

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
It's pretty great how Scotsman purposefully used his life as a bargaining chip in distracting Aku to save his daughters then to come back as his original self in ghost form. :allears:

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I've considered that since their mother had septuplets somehow

Well, the Scottsman's wife birthed like, two hundred daughters, so maybe that's just a thing in the Jackiverse...

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Theory time: I wonder if "It's time" means that Jack's going to try and challenge the Guardian again.? It's reasonable that he'd temporarily give up and be too afraid to try again after the last thrashing he got, ESPECIALLY since he's lost his sword.

But now, maybe he's just going to try and go for broke anyway. He knows he probably won't win anyway, but death sure beats the heck out of listening to Blue Jack all the time.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Fionordequester posted:

Theory time: I wonder if "It's time" means that Jack's going to try and challenge the Guardian again.? It's reasonable that he'd temporarily give up and be too afraid to try again after the last thrashing he got, ESPECIALLY since he's lost his sword.

But now, maybe he's just going to try and go for broke anyway. He knows he probably won't win anyway, but death sure beats the heck out of listening to Blue Jack all the time.
I was thinking that too since Gendy did say that the Guardian was going to be addressed in this season

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

achillesforever6 posted:

I was thinking that too since Gendy did say that the Guardian was going to be addressed in this season

I certainly hope it's going to be addressed this season since there aren't going to be any more after this!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Jack's quest for pants has taken a very dark turn.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Ashi: [looking up at the night sky] how are stars made?

Jack: well when I was a boy, my mother told me about a story of how two siblings rode on celestial horses in the void before the creation of the earth, and shot shining arrows which burst into all the stars there are now.

Ashi: Jack... what is a "boy" you speak of?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I don't know why people are making GBS threads on this episode, I thought it was a good time.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

Bear in the Woods posted:

Truly the most evil of plugs

Ever step on one of those motherfuckers? Worse than standing on an ancient horned manifestation of all that is evil.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

I was surprised at how sad I was at the Scotsman's death. I wasn't expecting it to be so abrupt. I immediately smiled when I realized that his daughters could see his ghost, though. I'm glad that it looks like Ghost Scotsman will be sticking around.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Megaspel posted:

Ever step on one of those motherfuckers? Worse than standing on an ancient horned manifestation of all that is evil.
Errant building blocks are the true evil, I think.

MichiganCubbie posted:

I was surprised at how sad I was at the Scotsman's death. I wasn't expecting it to be so abrupt. I immediately smiled when I realized that his daughters could see his ghost, though. I'm glad that it looks like Ghost Scotsman will be sticking around.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I don't know why people are making GBS threads on this episode, I thought it was a good time.

I also really liked this episode, and that Jack did a really good job of debunking Ashi's viewpoint piece by piece. And I was also really glad Ashi got to ACTUALLY be useful, instead of just being turned into a damsel-in-distress like a lot of "action chicks". That scene where she broke out of her cuffs was especially amazing!

...That said, some of the dialogue and character designs were pretty on-the-nose. You could tell that this was originally a kid's show in a way that you couldn't with the first three episodes. That doesn't make it worse than the other episodes, it just means it's a bit different in tone, that's all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Doctor Reynolds posted:

The Scotsmen died really anticlimactically, the dialogue wasn't the most complex, andhow Jack seems to have gone rogue because he didn't check to see if the kids were truly dead. I liked this episode, don't get me wrong, but I can see how some might have found it lacking.

I find interesting how Samurai Jack's pacing is doing since it made the jump from self-contained stories in each episode, to episodes that are part of a continuity. I understand the strengths and weaknesses of each, so I can forgive SJ for having the occasional instance that doesn't amaze me. So long as the show focuses on visual artistry, I think it should continue to be pretty good.

• Locked thread