Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

The icbms are impressive but i wouldnt call north korea technologically advanced

Calibanibal fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Der Kyhe posted:

It also should be remembered that the West-East Germany unification was a deal between "the most advanced nation of the Soviet block" which was relatively well-off even against western standards, and very prosperous Western nation. And it almost bankrupted the country leaving several shortcomings which are an issue still today.

That is completely different scale of things if compared to Korea, where one country is a technologically advanced modern society and the other one brainwashed leftist dictatorship existing mostly on thirty year old or older technology.

This really isn't true. North Korea has all sorts of modern tech for civilians, you just have to be in the upper few million of people to be able to afford it. Their military stuff is crap because the state can make big bucks off selling some of their newer tech they had to other places, but the same sort of thing doesn't really apply to consumer goods. The kind of stuff a decently well off middle class resident of Pyongyang might have in their apartment - an ok HDTV, a cheap smartphone and tablet, a cheap computer - are going to be pretty similar to what you might have as a lower middle class resident of Seoul.

The main thing is the Pyongyang resident has to deal with food still being more likely to be a worry, the electricity being unreliable, and the media they can access being pretty lovely. And of course this all gets worse as you go down the scale to the other regional cities, and then people struggling to get by in the countryside are going to have less stuff. But they'll all still have heard of poo poo like computers and phones, and at least the party officials or whatever in the nearest town will have them

Also most North Koreans probably don't buy into the regime's story about stuff the way you seem to think either, at least no more so than East Germans really bought into everything the DDR government was saying, even those in the fringes of the country where receiving west German radio and TV was difficult to impossible.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Honey, do you wanna watch "Japanese War Crimes Highlights", "Juche and the City" or "Our Dear Leader is a Literal Half-God" tonight?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Economics is just a word to some people, isn't it.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
and we have lift off

let's see how the orange retard responds

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

fishmech posted:

This really isn't true. North Korea has all sorts of modern tech for civilians, you just have to be in the upper few million of people to be able to afford it. Their military stuff is crap because the state can make big bucks off selling some of their newer tech they had to other places, but the same sort of thing doesn't really apply to consumer goods. The kind of stuff a decently well off middle class resident of Pyongyang might have in their apartment - an ok HDTV, a cheap smartphone and tablet, a cheap computer - are going to be pretty similar to what you might have as a lower middle class resident of Seoul.

The main thing is the Pyongyang resident has to deal with food still being more likely to be a worry, the electricity being unreliable, and the media they can access being pretty lovely. And of course this all gets worse as you go down the scale to the other regional cities, and then people struggling to get by in the countryside are going to have less stuff. But they'll all still have heard of poo poo like computers and phones, and at least the party officials or whatever in the nearest town will have them

Also most North Koreans probably don't buy into the regime's story about stuff the way you seem to think either, at least no more so than East Germans really bought into everything the DDR government was saying, even those in the fringes of the country where receiving west German radio and TV was difficult to impossible.

Also remember that those luxuries in Pyongyang are poo poo that's cheap to slap in. A lovely HDTV, a smartphone/tablet, and maybe some battery packs to deal with blackouts aren't breaking the bank. They're a cheap way to paint a paper thin veneer of western luxury onto the lives of a select few. Just because the regime can afford a few thousand bucks a pop to give a few people some toys doesn't mean it won't be a gigantic nightmare to deal with things like food, electricity, medicine, and basic plumbing for the millions of people who currently exist solely to produce food for the select few or hold guns to scare the west. Like you said, that's going to be the real problem.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

rear end struggle posted:

and we have lift off

let's see how the orange retard responds

CNN is reporting it failed. I guess the orange retard is off the hook and it's the little fat boy's ball.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008

Calibanibal posted:

The icbms are impressive but i wouldnt call north korea technologically advanced

Did they eat the third dog or what

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Iowa Snow King posted:

Did they eat the third dog or what

How do you think they fed the other two.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Trying to make comparisons to East Germany but I'm struck by the absolute bonkers size of the N.K. army and the paramilitary organizations.

East Germany's population was 16,586,490 in 1989, with the military numbering some 175,300 troops, which could call on several hundred thousand reservists.

North Korea's population was 24,895,000 in 2013, with the military numbering some 1,190,000 troops + 5,889,000 paramilitaries, and can call on several hundred thousand reservists.

I'm not sure what these paramilitaries are. But how the crap do you integrate that into a reunified Korea?

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 16, 2017

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

CNN is reporting it failed. I guess the orange retard is off the hook and it's the little fat boy's ball.

I anticipate he will make an impotence joke and then suggest that you to believe him when he says that he has no trouble in that department. He will further indicate that you should "ask Syria" if you are not convinced.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Maybe it's just me but I almost feel embarrassed for Kim. It's like nobody told him that those cold war era Tank/Missile parades are passe. It feels like just another example of how that whole country has been cut off from progress. I remember seeing some documentary about NK where the NK guide was proudly showing off cassette tape recorders or something. It's just so awkward, like that one woman at the office who's still rockin the same haircut from a couple decades ago and nobody is nice enough to tell her.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wikkheiser posted:

Trying to make comparisons to East Germany but I'm struck by the absolute bonkers size of the N.K. army and the paramilitary organizations.

East Germany's population was 16,586,490 in 1989, with the military numbering some 175,300 troops, which could call on several hundred thousand reservists.

North Korea's population was 24,895,000 in 2013, with the military numbering some 1,190,000 troops + 5,889,000 paramilitaries, and can call on several hundred thousand reservists.

I'm not sure what these paramilitaries are. But how the crap do you integrate that into a reunified Korea?

North Korea's military is primarily young men in the draft which nearly everyone of them has to go through. North Korea's "paramilitaries" are mostly just the male population that has passed through the draft period and hasn't aged out yet (a lot of them have to serve a full 10 years and during those 10 years they'll spend a lot of time just working in a factory or other similar businesses), and formally also includes a bunch of male teenagers and I think a decent amount of the normal police in their numbers.

If you went and counted the American military using the same sort of criteria as North Korea uses, well: You have 1.3 million people in the normal active military service, 800,000 in the reserves, over 3 million people working for direct defense contractors, around a million cops and other police department staff, and another couple million people working in places that contribute heavily to military needs from food to paint (remember again: much of the North Korean armed forces personnel work in civilian jobs to supply the military and make money for the military). And then you have a good 20 million veterans, and 3.5 million current participants in the boy scouts, who'd be counted as paramilitary under what North Korea counts.

So that's like, 39 million "military" and "paramilitary" in the US under the standards that make North Korea have 7.1 million "military" and "paramilitary".

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

-Blackadder- posted:

Maybe it's just me but I almost feel embarrassed for Kim. It's like nobody told him that those cold war era Tank/Missile parades are passe. It feels like just another example of how that whole country has been cut off from progress. I remember seeing some documentary about NK where the NK guide was proudly showing off cassette tape recorders or something. It's just so awkward, like that one woman at the office who's still rockin the same haircut from a couple decades ago and nobody is nice enough to tell her.

Have you looked at his haircut?

Or maybe his obesity in a country that is so malnourished over decades that on average they are 10 cm shorter than South Koreans.

It's hard not to be a complete joke if everyone is too afraid to tell you so.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

-Blackadder- posted:

I'm not trying to defend him but the upper echelons know everything they spout is pure bullshit. It's the power of the masses they fear so they have to continue this charade, otherwise they don't get their sweet smuggled western toys and money

JUCHE! Self reliance on other, bigger countries and smuggled goods!

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
So were those things in the parade supposed to be real? I saw some western reporters talking about them as if they were supposed to be taken seriously?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

-Blackadder- posted:

wow someone should really tell south korea that too

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/worldnews/10346381/South-Koreas-biggest-military-parade-for-10-years.html

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

japan too! why can't these backwards countries (not racist) get with the times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVpkTQ_g30I

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

nickmeister posted:

So were those things in the parade supposed to be real? I saw some western reporters talking about them as if they were supposed to be taken seriously?

The trucks and the tubes are real, what's inside the tubes is the mystery

its either nothing or a badly designed icbm

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
MRBMs, the North Korean's have fine MRBMs they developed with Iran.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

The trucks and the tubes are real, what's inside the tubes is the mystery

its either nothing or a badly designed icbm

Their full of used pinball machine parts.

Astroclassicist
Aug 21, 2015

https://twitter.com/DavidShuster/status/853609572581474304

That seems quite bold.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It seems like an easy boast to lie about. Without any credible organisation going out and taking responsibility it didn't happen, and even then it's doubtful.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Not really, they were doing this under the Obama Administration as well, Obama specifically gave the NSA and CIA orders to find ways to digitally interfere with the launches. Shortly afterwords, rockets started failing or exploding.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/04/world/asia/north-korea-missile-program-sabotage.html?_r=0

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

you would have me believe that in a few months trump went from barely being able to tweet, to being so digitally powerful he can shutdown a missile on the other side of the world?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Calibanibal posted:

you would have me believe that in a few months trump went from barely being able to tweet, to being so digitally powerful he can shutdown a missile on the other side of the world?

I don't think anyone is alleging that Trump himself hacked the missile

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Calibanibal posted:

Nah, its another Obama achievement that Trump will tout from the mountains to wag the dog.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Unless we have TS/SCI clearance we'll never really know either way so why not make the claim whether it's true or not? At least it throws the Kim regime off balance if nothing else

If we did do it though I'm intensely curious how since we can't really recruit spies and it's not like their machines are hooked up to the global internet

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Am I wrong to not care at all that North Korea has nukes or ICBMs? I just don't see any way they are going to start a war with the US or South Korea or anyone else. They just want to ensure that their ruling class stays in power which seems to be what SK and China want to happen anyway... Why everyone is all of a sudden crazy about North Korea is really beyond me. Nothing has changed.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mcmagic posted:

Am I wrong to not care at all that North Korea has nukes or ICBMs? I just don't see any way they are going to start a war with the US or South Korea or anyone else. They just want to ensure that their ruling class stays in power which seems to be what SK and China want to happen anyway... Why everyone is all of a sudden crazy about North Korea is really beyond me. Nothing has changed.

You mean why people care about North Korea just now? It's because Trump all o a sudden had a thought pass through his idiot brain and he got mad at North Korea over it.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

mcmagic posted:

They've become more hostile since Jong-Un took the reigns, and KJU has been going out of his way to sour North Korea's relationship with China, their ally in the region. China has also been stepping up sanctions in response to poo poo that NK has done, which has worsened relations among that group.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

mcmagic posted:

It promotes proliferation (there's genuine talk in South Korea about pursuing their own nuclear program, especially if something changes wrt US support), there's the huge uncertainty about where those bombs will go with regime collapse (plus the possible danger, however unlikely, of NK selling some off), and most importantly it means if there is a resumption of hostilities (which, no matter the intentions of NK when they set up the program, is never not going to be a possibility) then any stray missile has the potential to kill millions. While I understand it not mattering to you (unless you're in SK or maybe Japan then I don't think there's much danger of being vaporized), it does matter.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Koramei posted:

It promotes proliferation (there's genuine talk in South Korea about pursuing their own nuclear program, especially if something changes wrt US support), there's the huge uncertainty about where those bombs will go with regime collapse (plus the possible danger, however unlikely, of NK selling some off), and most importantly it means if there is a resumption of hostilities (which, no matter the intentions of NK when they set up the program, is never not going to be a possibility) then any stray missile has the potential to kill millions. It might not impact you personally but it does change things.

If they have ICBM's it's just as likely to impact me personally as anyone else...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
That and I don't know if I trust a country that openly uses VX at an international airport with having nukes.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

mcmagic posted:

If they have ICBM's it's just as likely to impact me personally as anyone else...

It's not remotely as likely to impact you personally unless you're in South Korea or Japan. It opens up the possibility, that's all.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Grapplejack posted:

They've become more hostile since Jong-Un took the reigns, and KJU has been going out of his way to sour North Korea's relationship with China, their ally in the region. China has also been stepping up sanctions in response to poo poo that NK has done, which has worsened relations among that group.

china's commitment to dprk sanctions is dubious at best. the turning away of coal ships has more to do with their across-the-board coal reduction than punishment for the nuclear program, no matter how badly trump wants to believe he art of the deal'd xi

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

That and I don't know if I trust a country that openly uses VX at an international airport with having nukes.

Killing one dude does not guarantee that you're invaded and your government is overthrown and you die. Thats what happens if Kim uses a nuke.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

CommieGIR posted:

That and I don't know if I trust a country that has invaded nations and killed millions in living memory with having nukes.
agreedo. invade the USA

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

rear end struggle posted:

MRBMs, the North Korean's have fine MRBMs they developed with Iran.

Missiles, Really Big--Magnum-sized (to suggest to the world the majesty of Jong-Un's monster dong)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

TenementFunster posted:

agreedo. invade the USA

But who are you going to get to do it that hasn't killed large groups of people in living memory ;)