Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

404notfound posted:

4K is the new 3D when it comes to TVs, i.e., you can't get a nicer TV that doesn't have it. Hopefully 4K will be around to stay though. I don't think I've ever tried 3D on my TV other than briefly firing up Arkham Asylum to see how it felt--and then promptly turning it back off.

4K will be around to stay because it actually makes a difference and isn't a gimmick like 3D. The only way it goes away is when 8K becomes more standard which hopefully won't be for many years because even PC's are barely able to run new games in 4K/60FPS with $1,000 graphics cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

s.i.r.e. posted:

I hope, one day, technology will advance enough so we can have both.

In a unit that won't burn your hands when you're holding it sure eventually.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Mr. Shifty is really fun. It's only a few hours long and there's almost no story and the game crashed twice toward the end and made me replay some difficult sections that took me 15-20 tries to get past the first time. But it's like playing the opening part in X-Men 2 where NIghtcrawler is teleporting around the oval office beating the poo poo out of secret service agents, it rules. Everything else is forgivable.

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
I loved 3D TVs, but they had a lot of problems. Different manufacturers had different flicker rates, so some TVs gave me headaches and some did not. The passive 3D on the 3DS especially hurt.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

404notfound posted:

4K is the new 3D when it comes to TVs, i.e., you can't get a nicer TV that doesn't have it. Hopefully 4K will be around to stay though. I don't think I've ever tried 3D on my TV other than briefly firing up Arkham Asylum to see how it felt--and then promptly turning it back off.

I can't see a path back from 4K to be honest, it's quickly becoming standard and HDMI 2.0/2.1 and stuff like that is pretty much demanded in new tech - even a semi-luddite like me will look twice before buying to make sure new stuff has 4k support in case I might want to use it. I just hope they have a better gimmick than higher resolution next time they want me to get a TV, I don't think I'll ever see the point of much more pixels than that

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
I think the Digital Foundry guys commented on the whole 4K resolution thing in that it was usually TV manufacturers who were playing catch-up with the power GFX boards provided, but now with the introduction of 4K it has gone the other way. 1080p is demanding enough, but now you have to bring out four times as much muscle. Obviously Nintendo didn't go down that road, rather they took the Wii route with its SD-quality output.

That said, one of the points the guys at DF also mentioned is that Splatoon 2 doesn't apparently utilize all the hardware power the Switch has, at least if wattage measurements are any indication. (Running BotW uses 60W at peak, Splatoon 2 ran at 30.1W at peak.) That's pretty impressive, so there might be actual room for improvement. We'll have to wait and see.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Rexroom posted:

I think the Digital Foundry guys commented on the whole 4K resolution thing in that it was usually TV manufacturers who were playing catch-up with the power GFX boards provided, but now with the introduction of 4K it has gone the other way. 1080p is demanding enough, but now you have to bring out four times as much muscle. Obviously Nintendo didn't go down that road, rather they took the Wii route with its SD-quality output.

That said, one of the points the guys at DF also mentioned is that Splatoon 2 doesn't apparently utilize all the hardware power the Switch has, at least if wattage measurements are any indication. (Running BotW uses 60W at peak, Splatoon 2 ran at 30.1W at peak.) That's pretty impressive, so there might be actual room for improvement. We'll have to wait and see.

I thought those numbers sounded way, way too high so I checked the youtube video - I think he says 16W and 13W at peak, respectively. It's still a very big difference, hopefully they can squeeze out some extra pixels.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

That power difference is likely the cpu not the gpu sadly. Can't imagine there is a lot of processing done in an arena shooter vs a dynamically loading open world with ai and physics

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

LethalGeek posted:

That power difference is likely the cpu not the gpu sadly. Can't imagine there is a lot of processing done in an arena shooter vs a dynamically loading open world with ai and physics

Why'd they do the physics in CPU though, isn't that normally offloaded to the GPU?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

1 more day until Wonderboy

11 more days until Mario Kart all day e'ry day

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Why'd they do the physics in CPU though, isn't that normally offloaded to the GPU?

Cpu handles simulation stuff like ai. Gpu is for all the floating point operations for pumping out polygons usually but im no expert

10 years ago people thought dedicated physics processors would catch on but that didnt happen

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I thought those numbers sounded way, way too high so I checked the youtube video - I think he says 16W and 13W at peak, respectively. It's still a very big difference, hopefully they can squeeze out some extra pixels.

Whoops. drat teens messing up my mind. :argh:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Real hurthling! posted:

Cpu handles simulation stuff like ai. Gpu is for all the floating point operations for pumping out polygons usually but im no expert

10 years ago people thought dedicated physics processors would catch on but that didnt happen

Oh I remember that - like they'd say they could keep your old GPU and use it as a physics processor, and it wouldn't need SLI or anything like that since only one card did the rendering? It sounds pretty cool, but if I remember correctly the physics calculations are pretty tiny compared to graphics stuff.

Anyway I don't think you can determine CPU/GPU load from wattage alone, it's quite possible there's space for optimization

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah multicore processors started to catch on and now they handle everything that way i'd imagine

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

You can be bummed that a cool game is running in 720p docked without being a graphics snob. It's a very noticeable difference, despite the "too busy playing the game to notice the graphics" logic. Splatoon 2 is gonna be cool anyway.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

yeah like nobody expected the switch to be a powerhouse but it's reasonable to have hoped for 1080p out of splatoon when docked. 1080p is almost 40% more pixels than 720p, that's a huge difference. it doesn't matter that much in the end because people buy nintendo consoles for the quality of the games but it'd be nice if they both looked and ran as well as they could, too.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
As an adult who spent money on a Nintendo console at launch in 2017... I too am very concerned about voice chat and resolution... gently caress you ninty!!!!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

monkeu posted:

As an adult who spent money on a Nintendo console at launch in 2017... I too am very concerned about voice chat and resolution... gently caress you ninty!!!!

Really? That's what you're going with?

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Wheany posted:

Really? That's what you're going with?

Yes. Go back to pc gaming if you're so concerned about resolution and voice chat with pubbies you loving turbo nerds

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Lotta cool dudes on this page.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

monkeu posted:

Yes. Go back to pc gaming if you're so concerned about resolution and voice chat with pubbies you loving turbo nerds

this is a bad gimmick

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Cardboard Box posted:

this is a bad gimmick

This is the truth. If you bought a Nintendo console which is also a handheld and now you're sitting here typing long posts about how you expected it to be a graphical powerhouse then you're legit a loving idiot :laugh:

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

monkeu posted:

This is the truth. If you bought a Nintendo console which is also a handheld and now you're sitting here typing long posts about how you expected it to be a graphical powerhouse then you're legit a loving idiot :laugh:

Cardboard Box posted:

... nobody expected the switch to be a powerhouse ...

i really don't think anyone is as upset about this as you're making them out to be but whatever gets you off

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Cardboard Box posted:

i really don't think anyone is as upset about this as you're making them out to be but whatever gets you off

I woke up to like two new pages in the switch thread and instead of it being about some cool games it's idiots whining about pixel counts. If you honestly didn't expect it to be a graphical powerhouse then you were correct. You can literally fit the whole system in the pocket of the pants that I imagine someone like you would wear

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

wow nice. you're a cool guy my dude

Unmature
May 9, 2008

monkeu posted:

I woke up to like two new pages in the switch thread and instead of it being about some cool games it's idiots whining about pixel counts. If you honestly didn't expect it to be a graphical powerhouse then you were correct. You can literally fit the whole system in the pocket of the pants that I imagine someone like you would wear

gently caress, I love a good JNCO burn.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I couldn't care less about chasing graphics numbers but if they make it so you need to use the phone app for voice chat that's just idiotic. Unless they reroute sound through the app too, I guess? It would be a massive misstep, no matter if you were talking to useless pubbies or friends.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

All I know is

portable Mario Kart

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Infinitum posted:

All I know is

portable Mario Kart

i'm ready

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES
I did Zelda, what should I do next?

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
Buy Wonder Boy in two days.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I hope 200cc is open by default

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

pippy posted:

Sidon

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?
Have you snipped clips yet

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
shovel knight

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

eonwe posted:

shovel knight

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Infinitum posted:

All I know is

portable Mario Kart

It's amazing how far we've come. I remember importing Super Circuit because I wanted a portable MK so bad. I really hope Nintendo continues DLC for Deluxe. I'd buy that poo poo yearly and be excited every time.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

pippy posted:

Snipperclips, Shovel Knight, and Fast RMX are all great choices imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

blaster master 0