Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

basically this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
TETSUOOOOOOOOOOO

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Monday I installed a new exhaust on my crf250l and went for a ride around the fields and then into town. I barely made it 2 miles down the road before I found myself with the right of way at a 3 way intersection to a police officer. I tried to wave him through but he kindly waved no thanks, you go ahead with a grin. So I short shifted with all my might and kept it to the speed limit but it wasn't enough. You see, my plate on my dirt bike was dirty. So we pulled into the most public parking lot smack dab in the center of the town.

Since it was more or less an impromptu ride I didn't have insurance or registration on me and I have out of state plates but the guy ran my license and seemed content with my failed attempt to get on geico.com through the town library's wifi.

As he was letting me go on my way, he chatted me up about how I liked the L model, if I had done the sprocket swaps, and asked what the "no bullshit" top speed I have had it going. Probably one of the better traffic stops of my life.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Decided to start changing my own tires.

Okay, two hours later I got the new rear tire mounted. Can't get the bead to set, it's midnight and I'm sure my neighbors have loved hearing the song of my compressor's people the last twenty minutes. I'll try again in the morning.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

PCOS Bill posted:

Okay, two hours later I got the new rear tire mounted. Can't get the bead to set, it's midnight and I'm sure my neighbors have loved hearing the song of my compressor's people the last twenty minutes. I'll try again in the morning.

I'm loling. With you, not at you.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There's a guy here who will do off-bike tire mounting and balancing for 29 bucks and it's the greatest thing ever.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

PCOS Bill posted:

You DID take the core out of the stem, right?

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

PCOS Bill posted:

Oh man, front's are even worse. Tire lube, taking small bites, and getting the tire to the drop center is the holy trinity. Also put the tire in the sun for a while beforehand.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Sagebrush posted:

There's a guy here who will do off-bike tire mounting and balancing for 29 bucks and it's the greatest thing ever.

My local guy did on-bike mounting for 50 bucks and we just chilled out and chatted bikes and the IoM TT while he did the work. Also his roommate wore old lady blue blockers and offered me weed

A++ support your local backyard unlicensed businesses

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Had no luck, left it sitting there in the sun while I went out to buy a jug-o-lube and a new tire chuck, as the gasket in mine failed and then I threw it across the garage. Got home, mounted the new chuck head on a 1/4" base and figured I'd test it first...

And the loving beads go POP POP and seat in a second and a half. I guess heat was the trick to do it. So now I have a gallon of RuGLIDE in the garage for next time. I had been using Windex for the actual lubricating during mounting, next tire should be way easier.

So now I have a new set of PR4s on and they feel great. Rode a mile and a half to the nearest gas station to top up my tank, 33MPG this tank which isn't that bad for an FJR.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Call local shop 3 times, they finally pick up, "oh yeah we got that points and condenser in stock." Confirm part numbers, swear they have it. Drive 30 minutes into town, AND GUESS WHAT THEY DON'T loving HAVE THEM

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Protip: when someone makes a joke about you being an organ donor because you're a motorcyclist, definitely don't say that "actually i'm not because of jokes like that" if you don't want to trigger someone

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Also, another thing that's fun is standing on the pegs for a few miles behind someone, having them freak out and think you're trying to intimidate them or something, and then driving by a cop while the driver frantically motions to them about me. And then the cop does nothing, because it's not illegal to stand on the pegs in Colorado.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

I once got pulled over going 93km/h in a 50 zone (27mph over the limit) because of one of those bullshit situations where a tiny podunk town on an 80km/h road sticks its 50km/h sign right at the "city limit" which is beside a cornfield miles away from the first building. So I was speeding a little but then hit the arbitrary limit where I was speeding a lot, and the cop caught me right there.

The cop let me off with a warning, thankfully, I guess cause he knew it was kinda bullshit and it would have been like a $5000 fine.

Christ 50 kmh is slow.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

call to action posted:

Protip: when someone makes a joke about you being an organ donor because you're a motorcyclist, definitely don't say that "actually i'm not because of jokes like that" if you don't want to trigger someone

Not... trigger?

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

PCOS Bill posted:

Not... trigger?

I know, man, I dont understand either

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

call to action posted:

I would like to know more.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Every time a motorcyclist dies in Kalamazoo, I get a call from a family member.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Bled my brakes because my rear pedal wasn't returning easily. Pedal still sticky. Googled it, looks like it's common for a sticky rear brake pedal on the FJR, guess I have to take it apart and clean it too.

And my front brake is better but still slightly mushy. I might put the rest of the bottle of brake fluid through it just to see if I can't chase another bubble out somewhere.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Try lubing the rear brake pivot, and bleeding the front banjoes.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I see an awful lot of brakes that can be improved a bunch by just greasing the pivots.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Was driving the work the other day and approached a red light when I noticed a guy on a sportbike with an obviously low rear tire. I couldn't tell what kind of bike because it had been poorly resprayed all black and had other obvious signs of drops and battle scars.

I do the nice thing and pull up next to the rider and tell him his rear tire is low. He proceeded to pull his helmet up to talk to me, revealing that it wasn't even buckled in the first place.

I repeated that his tire was low and he says "these are sport tires, they're supposed to be lower pressure to grip better." I tell him I think it's too low (I have the same tires on my bike) and he insisted it's fine.

I suppose my face gave away my skepticism because he then shouts "I know what I'm doing, I've been riding my whole life, bro!" As if that has anything to do with riding around with maybe 25psi in your rear tire.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Busa bro! Need all the grip I can get for this monster!!!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

No. 6 posted:

Was driving the work the other day and approached a red light when I noticed a guy on a sportbike with an obviously low rear tire. I couldn't tell what kind of bike because it had been poorly resprayed all black and had other obvious signs of drops and battle scars.

I do the nice thing and pull up next to the rider and tell him his rear tire is low. He proceeded to pull his helmet up to talk to me, revealing that it wasn't even buckled in the first place.

I repeated that his tire was low and he says "these are sport tires, they're supposed to be lower pressure to grip better." I tell him I think it's too low (I have the same tires on my bike) and he insisted it's fine.

I suppose my face gave away my skepticism because he then shouts "I know what I'm doing, I've been riding my whole life, bro!" As if that has anything to do with riding around with maybe 25psi in your rear tire.

If it was visibly flat it's probably closer to 15 pounds tbh.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Also isn't that terribly wrong? Don't they have more sidewall flex and higher wear when low? It's not like it's a dirt tire off road...

Personally, I just run recommended PSI, because I'm not Rossi.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

No. 6 posted:

Gotta air down that back tire for dank whoolies, brah

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

Also isn't that terribly wrong? Don't they have more sidewall flex and higher wear when low? It's not like it's a dirt tire off road...

Personally, I just run recommended PSI, because I'm not Rossi.

Funnily enough I've just started running slightly over recommended PSI (36 rather than 34) on the enthusiastic recommendation of someone who I normally trust on such things and it's made a really surprisingly positive impact. It may just be because they were slightly squared and this is helping bring the profile back to normal. I guess it might be reducing absolute grip a little bit but the improvement o feel is amazing, and surprisingly over small bumps and imperfections it actually feels smoother than normal.

Also just to reinforce what others have said, 25 really isn't enough to be visually noticeable on most sports tyres, it might not even be hugely noticeable in normal riding. I think for it to be visually noticeable it's got to be down at the point where the thing's creeping all over the place. Now I think of it I bet that's why he thinks it's a "sport" thing, because a rear tyre that's too low will slide like an absolute fucker so he can convince himself he's totally drifting it out of every corner.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Well he lowered the PSI to get more traction and his bored out 600 was still drifting the rear so he's still dropping PSI until it stops sliding.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I finally get a day off after 9 days at work and it's nice and warm and sunny and holy gently caress is it windy. Tried to take the DR 350 out to the National Forest and for the first time ever thought I was going to get blown off the road. Actually did get blown onto the shoulder a half dozen times. Supposed to rain tomorrow but gently caress it I'm going anyway.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

If it was visibly flat it's probably closer to 15 pounds tbh.
From what I've seen you don't start to notice bad handling until it gets down to 15 but most tires visibly hold shape at 15 so his was under 10 I'd bet. But drag race cars run like 7psi so how can you argue with the guy.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Got all the parts in for this piece of poo poo and did some wheelies. At least it looks nice.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

little honda best honda

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yerok posted:

Got all the parts in for this piece of poo poo and did some wheelies. At least it looks nice.

Holy hell what is that? Engine looks very similar to my MB100.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
74 Honda MT250. It's pretty cool for what it is. If it had the head machined to correct the squish and raise the compression closer to CR spec and it would be a good tree hitter.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

In that vein, I'd like to do the squish thing with my MB but I don't know if I need to change the jetting to compensate for this or what. Two-strokes are loving mysterious w.r.t. tuning and stuff for me.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Ah it's easy, you just lean them out till they seize and then you replace the top end and go a step richer

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

In that vein, I'd like to do the squish thing with my MB but I don't know if I need to change the jetting to compensate for this or what. Two-strokes are loving mysterious w.r.t. tuning and stuff for me.
Having read 3 books on the topic and been attempting it with a roadrace bike for a couple yers now, I feel the same way.

Yerok posted:

Ah it's easy, you just lean them out till they seize and then you replace the top end and go a step richer
This is pretty close to the actual methodology. Try changing anything at all, it probably won't work, but if it does then keep it. Repeat until you've wasted 3000 hours and gained 0.5hp.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I finally get a day off after 9 days at work and it's nice and warm and sunny and holy gently caress is it windy. Tried to take the DR 350 out to the National Forest and for the first time ever thought I was going to get blown off the road. Actually did get blown onto the shoulder a half dozen times. Supposed to rain tomorrow but gently caress it I'm going anyway.

Good on you, if I stayed inside for every day where it was supposed to rain here in CO but didn't I'd be a very pissed little boy

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yerok posted:

74 Honda MT250. It's pretty cool for what it is. If it had the head machined to correct the squish and raise the compression closer to CR spec and it would be a good tree hitter.

"Tree hitter" is an excellent (and accurate) thing to call trail bikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
pretty sure the solution to my current existential crisis is to do the crank and 144 kit and porting on my blown up YZ and go do some tree hittin'

e: the guy who owns that MT's name is Mark so every time I pick up the phone when he calls its "oh hi Mark" and when he told me the bike's history "wow what a story Mark"

Yerok fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 20, 2017