Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The thing I like about these tribe swaps is that it makes it pretty hard to guess who will be targeted post merge. There's been enough shakeup and intermingling that there's a lot of relationships and no really solid alliances.

My guess is that by basic Survivor rules the top targets would be Ozzy, Cirie, and Culpepper. Ozzy seems especially in danger considering his own tribe was considering booting him this past Tribal and he doesn't really have the game awareness and skills to sense that and flip things. Culpepper seems like an obvious threat not just because of his size and perceived leadership role but his social game could either be a help or another reason to see him as a threat. And we saw that Cirie was immediately targeted the same way Sandra and Tony were and she just has never been to a Tribal to see if she'd get votes. So that could happen once she's locked in.

Besides that Michaela and Zeke seem like the second tier of obvious threats but its probably a wildcard at that stage for whatever particular cliques form and who they don't like/fear. Michaela does seem like she's not got a lot of friends which is a bad place to me at this stage of the game. She's a little too much of a challenge threat to play under the radar, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, do that. I binged all the seasons a few years ago and it's easy enough for you to bail on a season when/if you realize there's nothing compelling you to keep watching. They're not long seasons and things tend to stay interesting enough even in the bad seasons until you get towards the end when the end game starts to emerge. That's when you're either engaged or you're not.

The only problem with my binge was the "Russell Fatigue" as seeing him pop up a third time really shut down me down.

His downfall was funny as hell and like the only entertaining thing about RI, the rest was horrible

He sucks so much that his tribe hosed themselves over to get rid of him

heybrother
Jan 4, 2013

Parity warning posted:

His downfall was funny as hell and like the only entertaining thing about RI, the rest was horrible

He sucks so much that his tribe hosed themselves over to get rid of him

That tribe was also historically awful. 0 returners and basically nobody of positive note.

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

Jeff did an interview with Katie Couric about the choice to air the segment among other things. Mostly stuff we've already heard, but Jeff is really blatant about how much Zeke was in control of the broadcasting direction for that scene.

https://www.yahoo.com/katiecouric/survivor-host-jeff-probst-responds-transgender-outing-backlash-214638497.html?soc_src=mail&soc_trk=ma

Teckiwi
Dec 7, 2006
I wounder if Tai will manage to get himself voted out holding 2 idols like James did, he already seems to be on the bottom of his majority..

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Shiiiiit, finished watching the previous episode :negative:

Some of you are too understanding of Varner. I read Zekes column (which was really good) and read Varner's fake apology and it was just so transparent. He wouldn't use all that bullshit about being a "cis-gendered privileged male" if he were genuine. He's just trying to limit his losses by quoting pretty much exactly the backlash that he has probably got in social media etc. There has been nothing genuine about what he has said about it, and he clearly hasn't learned anything, nor has he probably made an actual effort to learn or grow.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Varner seems a little over defensive. Like, he needs to drop the part where he's trying to explain why he did it or prove he's such a champion for trans rights. That comes off self serving and like you're still making excuses.

Still, he's owning it, calling it "assault", and apologizing so at that stage it's just a matter of whether you believe him or not. But at least he's doing that and not trying to minimize it like many non-apologies do.

I buy that he's genuinely sorry he did it and recognizes it was a terrible thing. I just think he's a little too arrogant/self absorbed to stop making it about him.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I think he's sorry that he did it. I just think he's sorry because of how it affected his own life, not Zeke's.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think its possible he's sorry both because of how it hurt Zeke and how it hurt himself. He just doesn't seem to recognize that those aren't equal things.

I guess I'm maybe a little sympathetic if he's gone through 8 months of guilt and is now watching his life fall apart over it. But like, that's still all his own doing so he ain't the victim. Zeke is. He doesn't seem to fully grasp that first part.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Nothing excuses what Varner did. But it's also lovely people are calling his place of work to get him fired.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I wouldn't seek to get someone fired or something but I can see why Varner might not have a future as a real estate agent since that job seems to be big about the individual salesman and any routine client Google search would probably go bad for the agency.

Or something. I'm basically basing my knowledge of real estate on Modern Family, Cougar Town, and Santa Clara Diet. So I'm dumb.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Andrea's response showed more emotional depth than I ever expected from her.

Teckiwi posted:

I wounder if Tai will manage to get himself voted out holding 2 idols like James did, he already seems to be on the bottom of his majority..

I'd like to see Tai do a super-Erik Reichenbach: be persuaded/decide to give away both idols and then get voted out.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Do I remember correctly that no one knows for sure that Tai has even one idol (let alone two)?. Aside from oh-so-correct remarks from other contestants that he is ridiculously good at finding idols.

I just can't see any way that he would get actual use from them. I only see an outcome where he opens up to the merged tribe that "I have an idol... (pause) okei, I have two idols".

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Bolivar posted:

Do I remember correctly that no one knows for sure that Tai has even one idol (let alone two)?. Aside from oh-so-correct remarks from other contestants that he is ridiculously good at finding idols.

I just can't see any way that he would get actual use from them. I only see an outcome where he opens up to the merged tribe that "I have an idol... (pause) okei, I have two idols".

I think in some ways that "is good at finding idols" actually means "is so bad socially that they don't get it's not ok to blatantly spend a lot of time searching for idols".

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Arcanen posted:

I think in some ways that "is good at finding idols" actually means "is so bad socially that they don't get it's not ok to blatantly spend a lot of time searching for idols".

The risk- reward seems to be just fine, at least in this seasons edited version. With the prime example being Tai's "I have one idooool... but I think, maybe I need two idooool". Idols everywhere, just find a tribe sign and dig :gary:

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

In a general sense, I think there's a reason that people who are up against the wall often manage a last-minute idol find: they throw caution to the wind and blatantly go searching. It's obviously a lot easier to find an idol when you're caring less about being discovered. I think people who have a reputation for being "good at finding idols" are people who don't have that caution in the first place, and are blatant about their searching from the get-go.

They find lots of idols, but they don't grasp how it makes them look sketchy in the game, socially. They tend to be people with other huge social game flaws. Tai, Tony (I still don't quite understand how he won...), Russell.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Tony, for all his antics, pulled some amazing fake outs at tribal near the end. The bluff with the Tyler Perry Idol likely saved him from being booted at F4.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i didnt see a thread for it but has big brother canada been good this year? i kinda quit watching midway through season 3 when it got out of control with putting in like a million twists

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Arcanen posted:

Tyson also found two HII's during the season he won (Blood vs Water)

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

It would also be funny if someone finds the clue to Tai's second idol and goes digging, only to find it gone.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Sounds like the perfect opportunity for a fake idol on his part.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

its me glenda posted:

i didnt see a thread for it but has big brother canada been good this year? i kinda quit watching midway through season 3 when it got out of control with putting in like a million twists

It's been good so far, the twists haven't been TOO ridiculous. It's basically BBCAN Fans vs Favorites, and they actually got a good crop (give or take a Dallas). I'm a huge fan of the token older lady, Karen, even though she has no shot to win.

The best part is the first twist they did, where Neda received immunity that lasted from week two all the way to jury, only to have it turn out that the immunity wore off during a double eviction, so she got evicted about twenty minutes after the immunity ended.

I can only keep up so well, though, it's hard to find non-:files: means of watching it, and the YouTube streams, when they exist, tend to consist of the very letterboxed, slowed down stuff that's really irritating to watch.

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 18, 2017

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'm not trying to say "Get out of here with that Big Brother talk", but if there's this much interest in discussing it, one of you should go start a thread for it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Survivor 35 and 36 will also be filmed in Fiji.

Prepare for more themed seasons rather than being named after the location.

Absolute Zero
Mar 12, 2007

Best QB in Arizona history*

*projected

Zesty posted:

I'm not trying to say "Get out of here with that Big Brother talk", but if there's this much interest in discussing it, one of you should go start a thread for it.

Been hoping someone would start a thread actually. Been enjoying this season so far, as usual it's better than the US version. I cheered so loud when Neda got evicted, but felt kind of sorry for her when she started crying like that. You could tell it meant so much to her.

Love Ika's crazy poo poo, but get the feeling her days are numbered.

Someone start a thread :/

In Survivor news, did I hear right during that last BB Can episode that this week's Survivor is two hours? Awesome.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
It's two episodes back to back. Hooray for filling time in the schedule!

As for filming in Fiji for two more seasons... eh. I feel like they've managed to find all the varieties of location they can, and it's probably saving them money to not pull up roots.

I'm not sure it really matters at this point. Fiji has proven to have a good mix of good looking location, water for challenges, and cooperative weather (no Cambodia monsoons or whatever that was). Can't say I blame them.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah I'll take infinite future seasons of Survivor in one location than the risk of new locations. Must be getting old.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
I want another season in China, that was awesome and very unique.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

less laughter posted:

I want another season in China, that was awesome and very unique.

That's how I felt about Tocantins.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

SalTheBard posted:

That's how I felt about Tocantins.

That setting was pretty similar in terms of landscape, vegetation etc. to Gabon, I felt. There's never been a setting/atmosphere quite like China before or since.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Survivor: North Korea please

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I too have been going through and watching the old seasons of Survivor with CBS's online thing. Came across this lovely episode photo... Good work CBS.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Just do Survivor Alaska as a scripted show and use that one guy's fanfic as a base.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I too have been going through and watching the old seasons of Survivor with CBS's online thing. Came across this lovely episode photo... Good work CBS.

when did Eric Bana play survivor?

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I just want more night challenges/ geographically relevant stuff. Cambodia had one challenge like that and it was great and reminded me of China

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

blue squares posted:

Survivor: North Korea please

And after that, Survivor: The Moon.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

for real though im surprised they've never gone back to australia, theres definitely more than enough fauna and remote places there. they've also never gone back to borneo, would be perfect setting if they ever did all winners season

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

its me glenda posted:

for real though im surprised they've never gone back to australia, theres definitely more than enough fauna and remote places there. they've also never gone back to borneo, would be perfect setting if they ever did all winners season

Australia is probably way more expensive to film in than a small island nation.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

What am I missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Zesty posted:

What am I missing?

It's showing the immunity winner.

• Locked thread