Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
The shell I want to try uses Baubles, Traverse, Chord, and Commune with Nature. Duskwatch Recruiter filters once you have infinite for Emrakul/Walking Ballista. Core is pretty tight & the mana base fetches aggressively to turn on Delirium so could incorporate another color (red and black seem most likely). In the test hands on TappedOut I opted for 4x Leyline of Sanctity and 4x Blossoming Defense mainboard. Apostle's Blessing might be better over Blossoming Defence (stops Whipflare, Anger as well).

Assuming 0 interaction (Ad Nauseam, Tron, Storm) it goes off easy Turn 3, consistently Turn 4, and if protection is necessary or a bad hand was kept Turn 5. Don't expect it to make waves, Company Combo is already a thing and has a value plan for backup. Anafenza & Melira have much stronger support roles in that deck as well.

e: Only thing of note is the Delirium shell from Death's Shadow makes it extremely consistent, but the status of the creatures (2 CMC, 0/2 & 2/1) means they die to any & all interaction. Probably gonna try a version out at the shop, bringing Bubble Hulk was a lot of fun!

myDad fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
gently caress I just realized the split card change means you can no longer imprint fire/ice on an isochron scepter. Wasn't as broken as modern decks abusing split card CMC but it was a very satisfying cube interaction.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

uninverted posted:

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, you can just draw every creature in your deck with recruiter and infinite mana, no visionary required.

Yep but if you need a non-creature you can get it with visionary.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Melira isn't even super great anymore and is probably replaceable if it enables another good combo to cut her. I like current company decks but I'm open to a new version, plus druid is fine as a mana dork anyway. New green god is an interesting finisher, you could maybe go straight GW but Melira company gets a ton of value from viscera seer so I dunno.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
For reference this is the list I was testing using TappedOut's Playtest feature

Land (18)
4x Arid Mesa
1x Forest
1x Plains
1x Sacred Foundry
1x Stomping Ground
2x Temple Garden
4x Windswept Heath
4x Wooded Foothills
Creature (14)
3x Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
4x Devoted Druid
4x Duskwatch Recruiter Flip
1x Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
2x Walking Ballista
Sorcery (8)
4x Commune with Nature
4x Traverse the Ulvenwald
Artifact (4)
4x Mishra's Bauble
Instant (8)
4x Apostle's Blessing
4x Chord of Calling
Enchantment (8)
4x Leyline of Sanctity
4x Oath of Nissa

I don't think Modern is the place where you want more than a plan A and plan B, and most decks only have a plan A. This is a fast combo deck, while Podless Melira Pod Company tends to outvalue & play a more cautious game. With infinite life & Scry they're able to set up impenetrable defenses with different silver bullets each turn.

This is more like Ad Nauseam, the key difference being Ad Naus has interaction vectors via their mana base (artifacts), one potential combo half (Phyrexian Unlife), and the rest is on the stack. When your opponent can't interact with the stack they have to attack your mana or enchantment. However there is incredible strength in being able to go off with two spells on the stack once you have your mana. This combo relying on creatures makes it much more fragile, but the tutors are more powerful than in Ad Nauseam (Commune & Peer are comparable for the purposes of digging for pieces) and the combo pieces are overall cheaper (no 5-mana instant required!).

Like I said, I'll probably whip something up to bring to FNM, but I don't think Vizier will be making waves.

e: Melira is huge in that she can be a piece for infinite life & protects against infect, which historically has 0 ways to destroy opposing creatures (and doesn't care how much life you have!).
Vizier could show up, but adding Devoted Druid for infinite green seems unlikely. Abzan Company operates on a very low curve due to the nature of Collected Company & they'd be diluting their competitive advantage by moving away from the core combo (Viscera, Anafenza, Finks).

myDad fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 16, 2017

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

myDad posted:

For reference this is the list I was testing using TappedOut's Playtest feature

Land (18)
4x Arid Mesa
1x Forest
1x Plains
1x Sacred Foundry
1x Stomping Ground
2x Temple Garden
4x Windswept Heath
4x Wooded Foothills
Creature (14)
3x Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
4x Devoted Druid
4x Duskwatch Recruiter Flip
1x Emrakul, the Aeons Torn
2x Walking Ballista
Sorcery (8)
4x Commune with Nature
4x Traverse the Ulvenwald
Artifact (4)
4x Mishra's Bauble
Instant (8)
4x Apostle's Blessing
4x Chord of Calling
Enchantment (8)
4x Leyline of Sanctity
4x Oath of Nissa

I don't think Modern is the place where you want more than a plan A and plan B, and most decks only have a plan A. This is a fast combo deck, while Podless Melira Pod Company tends to outvalue & play a more cautious game. With infinite life & Scry they're able to set up impenetrable defenses with different silver bullets each turn.

This is more like Ad Nauseam, the key difference being Ad Naus has interaction vectors via their mana base (artifacts), one potential combo half (Phyrexian Unlife), and the rest is on the stack. When your opponent can't interact with the stack they have to attack your mana or enchantment. However there is incredible strength in being able to go off with two spells on the stack once you have your mana. This combo relying on creatures makes it much more fragile, but the tutors are more powerful than in Ad Nauseam (Commune & Peer are comparable for the purposes of digging for pieces) and the combo pieces are overall cheaper (no 5-mana instant required!).

Like I said, I'll probably whip something up to bring to FNM, but I don't think Vizier will be making waves.

e: Melira is huge in that she can be a piece for infinite life & protects against infect, which historically has 0 ways to destroy opposing creatures (and doesn't care how much life you have!).
Vizier could show up, but adding Devoted Druid for infinite green seems unlikely. Abzan Company operates on a very low curve due to the nature of Collected Company & they'd be diluting their competitive advantage by moving away from the core combo (Viscera, Anafenza, Finks).

Your decklist does not have a combo unless I'm missing something.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

ShadeofBlue posted:

Your decklist does not have a combo unless I'm missing something.

Good catch, the Anafenza's should be Vizier of the Remedies but that card is not yet in their database

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

myDad posted:

Melira is somewhat replaceable because infect is dead, although she does help vs affinity sometimes. You're right about the rest though probably. It would be a full reworking of the deck to take advantage of the mana.

Edit: I still think a bant version with trinket mage and ballista sounds like fun, building a sideboard package off mage sounds appealing and hitting the mana combo plus mage is essentially a 3 card combo since it tutors ballista. Might be fun to toy with.

Fingers McLongDong fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 16, 2017

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Melira is somewhat replaceable because infect is dead, although she does help vs affinity sometimes. You're right about the rest though probably. It would be a full reworking of the deck to take advantage of the mana.

Isn't another strength that hosers become a lot more narrow? Not having to worry about graveyard hate ruining your day seems good.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

Isn't another strength that hosers become a lot more narrow? Not having to worry about graveyard hate ruining your day seems good.

Yep, and this is exactly why archangel/feeder is favored over playing murderous redcap these days.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Sickening posted:

Big part of Podless Pod is having a million silver bullets like Reclamation Sage, Qasali Pridemage, and even Caustic Caterpillar (Rec Sage usually does it since Torpor Orb doesn't see a lot of play).

A big strength of Druid combo is not using the graveyard though!

e: Haven't seen Archangel/Feeder against any Abzan Company players as they can get infinite bolster with their main deck creatures & it takes 2 precious sideboard slots. Most moved away from Redcap either playing very few in the main or side, or more commonly none at all!

myDad fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Apr 16, 2017

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I've seen a ton of dudes trying to make Exert decks out of Always Watching and/or Arlinn Kord and they remind me a lot of the Ojutai deck I was playing SOI standard, except the average card is a lot worse.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Speaking of shadow of the grave, it seems to me like it could be neat with lion's eye diamond, if you cast it in the same fashion as infernal tutor. Not sure if that's enough for storm to want a copy, but it's interesting.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

I've seen a ton of dudes trying to make Exert decks out of Always Watching and/or Arlinn Kord and they remind me a lot of the Ojutai deck I was playing SOI standard, except the average card is a lot worse.

Its interesting. In some playesting, the double combat guy seems to be better than initially thought. Some of my playgroup has a list that is a combo of humans/exert. Always watching and even the white trial seem to top it off fairly aggressively.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Sickening posted:

Its interesting. In some playesting, the double combat guy seems to be better than initially thought. Some of my playgroup has a list that is a combo of humans/exert. Always watching and even the white trial seem to top it off fairly aggressively.

There just aren't enough sources of Vigilance to make it worth building around the interaction. Some of the cards like Glorybringer are independently hood but it's just that guy and the 3/1, really.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

Modern.jpg

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
What card is that?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Fingers McLongDong posted:

What card is that?

Surgical Extraction

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Star Man posted:

Surgical Extraction

Christ. I had not seen this one creeping up. Although on reflection I am jamming in every sideboard I can these days.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Because I'm a stupid moron, I read Robert B. Wintermute's The Quest for Karn, which was the Scars of Mirrodin block novel. Here's a short review:

It's really loving bad. :saddowns:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
The only real difference between story writing then and story writing now is that they post it on the website.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That's the thing: They were already posting it on the website back in 2011. They just picked a random part of the story and published it in a book, without introducing any characters or setting up the plot in any way. And if you want to know what happens after Karn gets healed, you have to go dig up an Uncharted Realms article. (Spoilers: Mirrodin is hosed anyway.)

It's no wonder these things didn't sell.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Devoted Druid up to $4! I got a playset yesterday for about that price, thanks thread. I'm a true mtgfinancier now

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
It can't stay like this even if the deck becomes successful, right?

It's a modern era common, there must be a million of the things lying around in collections - I've certainly still got a playset somewhere. I know it's Shadowmoor, but it didn't sell that badly did it?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mossyfisk posted:

It's a modern era common, there must be a million of the things lying around in collections - I've certainly still got a playset somewhere. I know it's Shadowmoor, but it didn't sell that badly did it?

Commons from that set are expensive for are reason. The set is very old and the commons like this were already low in supply.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

mossyfisk posted:

Shadowmoor was from when magic was a lot less popular than it is now, even if it sold well the amount of cards around would be low compared to the amount of people playing modern now.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

mossyfisk posted:

the playerbase was much much smaller from kamigawa through alara, the game literally almost died until they hit big on M10 and zendikar. sets from that era are pretty lightly printed compared to everything more recent.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

My one problem with Legacy Cube is that I've been matched up against the U/W Mono-Counterspell deck for about 80% of my matches and it is just boring as poo poo to play against.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
A land is Animated by Nissa, Vital Force. On my turn I play Dungeon Geist on the land. Geists effect will keep it locked down, despite it no longer being a creature, correct? Doesn't that seem weird?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mandatory lesbian posted:

A land is Animated by Nissa, Vital Force. On my turn I play Dungeon Geist on the land. Geists effect will keep it locked down, despite it no longer being a creature, correct? Doesn't that seem weird?

It hasn't changed zones or anything, so it's still the same game object, so any effects on it continue to apply. The effect says "target creature" and the card is no longer a creature, but targeting restrictions only matter at the moment when the spell or effect resolves. It's just like how if you cast Oath of Ajani while your land is animated, when it stops being a creature, it keeps the +1/+1 counter.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Entropic posted:

It hasn't changed zones or anything, so it's still the same game object, so any effects on it continue to apply. The effect says "target creature" and the card is no longer a creature, but targeting restrictions only matter at the moment when the spell or effect resolves. It's just like how if you cast Oath of Ajani while your land is animated, when it stops being a creature, it keeps the +1/+1 counter.

so why doesn't this work the same way for Auras? they fall off, despite having resolved

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

so why doesn't this work the same way for Auras? they fall off, despite having resolved

Because Auras work in a very particular way - they have "Enchant Creature" or "Enchant Artifact" or whatever on the cards because they used to be "Enchant Creature" cards, not "Enchantment - Aura". If you have an Aura with "Enchant Blue Creature" and the creature stops being Blue, the enchantment falls off. Same with Enchant Creatures falling off of things that are no longer Creatures.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You're conflating the rules for continuous effects and Auras as objects. An aura attached to an illegal target is put into the graveyard as a state-based action because them's the rules – just like a Creature dies if its Toughness falls to 0.

Pedantry aside, why a continuous effect created by a spell or an ability only checks once while one created by a static ability (such as an Aura, I guess) checks continuously, yeaaaah I dunno. I guess it's easier to play? "Target Zombie gets +1/+1 until end of turn" would be a pain in the rear end if you had to keep checking its zombieness until end of turn, right? Conversely, "all Zombies get +1/+1" would be a pain in the rear end if you had to remember which of your dudes were zombies when the Lord came on board.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
Where can I go to read an updated list of the cards spoiled so far for Amonkhet?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Subways Jared posted:

Where can I go to read an updated list of the cards spoiled so far for Amonkhet?

In the latest issue of InQuest

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Yes and no. Even weirder, if you steal a manland with Vedalken Shackles, you keep it as long as Shackles stays tapped.

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
Where are people doing their playtesting for stuff like STD decks? Are the two most popular options still Xmage, and Cockatrice, like I'm reading in the OP?

Thank you for this, exactly what I was looking for.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

PlasticAutomaton posted:

My one problem with Legacy Cube is that I've been matched up against the U/W Mono-Counterspell deck for about 80% of my matches and it is just boring as poo poo to play against.

I have played against the person who got Treachery every single time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Subways Jared posted:

Where are people doing their playtesting for stuff like STD decks? Are the two most popular options still Xmage, and Cockatrice, like I'm reading in the OP?

Thank you for this, exactly what I was looking for.

The modo beta is good, if you can get in. I was kicked last year for some reason. I think they didn't appreciate my feature requests like revamp the trading system, battlefield layout, and pairing queue and probably wanted just notes on broken new cards heh.

Also just proxying up some poo poo and jamming with friends. There was a good tool that let you print 5ish cards on to one card-sized piece of paper so you could 'play' 5 decks with one set of stock that was very handy.

I think though the canonical answer is 'don't play standard'.

• Locked thread