Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.
This was probably like 10 or 12 years ago but the one time I played in a regular ball hockey pickup it was clearly run by guys who sucked at real hockey and couldn't wait to show off their mad ball skills on a bunch of scrubs who keep falling down on roller blades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

yeah basically pleads is right

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hmm, I suck at real hockey. Should I throw away my skates and go own bitches in ball hockey?

What if I suck at ball hockey too?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Ball hockey is fun and got me into Ice hockey (no cheap ice where I was, so when I grew up we played in a ball league).

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

We used to play ball hockey every now and then inside an abandoned grocery store. The shelves were all gone so it was nice and open. Grocery carts laid on their sides for goals. Ah, small town life.

LowOnCyan
Feb 29, 2016

None of this matters
Hockey Puke Story:
For the last few years, we started bringing a Puke bucket to the first game of the season, as we were always out of shape over the summer, and it took us at least a couple of games to get our bodies back used to the intensity and exhaustion.

Every year I tell myself to take it slow, but then I backcheck hard once and it's all over.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Ball hockey is vastly inferior to ice. It's full of idiots who do nothing but take slap shots at the earliest opportunity. It's decent fun I guess but I'd play ice 100/100 times over ball hockey.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
My scrimmage today turned out to be a 4v4. We booked 2 hours of ice.

I'm loving dead fellas.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Ginette Reno posted:

Ball hockey is vastly inferior to ice. It's full of idiots who do nothing but take slap shots at the earliest opportunity. It's decent fun I guess but I'd play ice 100/100 times over ball hockey.

Oh, for sure. Given the choice, ice wins every time. Ball hockey is ice hockey's cousin that you don't mind seeing on holidays, but no more than that because he's actually kind of boring.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I didn't even know ball hockey was a thing. why is that a thing?

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Pretty sure you guys are spelling lacrosse wrong.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

bewbies posted:

Some places don't have Ice but they've got decent floors that roller skates will go across with no issue.

Thus, ball hockey.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Lacrosse is pretty fun too, although I'm terrrrrrible at it.

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Everytime I go to pure hockey I look at all the lacrosse stuff and wish I had played that as a kid, but I'd definitely just get run over if I tried it now. You can't just glide along with everyone else like you can in hockey.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I wasn't rich enough to play lacrosse as a kid and ice didn't exist where I live.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

bewbies posted:

Don't you live in the US? It's been big in Massachusetts/Philadelphia for years. Florida too, and probably other places.

It's a thing because you don't need to know dick about anything to play it. Just grab a stick and go take bad angle slap shots like an rear end in a top hat.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Played in a cancer benefit tournament this weekend and took home the hardware. The first and second game were blowouts 7-1, 7-0. For some reason in the 2nd game their goalie wanted to spend more time attempting to trip/slash/hack my team instead of making saves. The final team was a combination of the team I won a top tier St.Paul league with + another solid team in the same league. They had two guys who were just two years separated from their college careers at Denver and UMD so I knew it'd be a battle. We had a national champion from the 01-02 Gopher squad on our team among other solid D3 players. This tournament had a deal where if you paid $60 you get a free penalty shot (money went to charity obviously) so I was pretty afraid this would come into play and possibly tilt me. They did score on their chance which made it a 2-2 game but we ended up winning 5-3 including the empty netter. The game was a really fun team win, I had to make a lot of big saves and so did the opposing tender who played great. Hockey is fun and good and for charity its an added bonus.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is that the huge 8 sheet arena in Minneapolis? The cafe over the ice looks familiar.

I stopped in there once on a work trip and it was a hockey overdose, I couldn't pick which rink to stay at so I wandered between all of them.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

xzzy posted:

Is that the huge 8 sheet arena in Minneapolis? The cafe over the ice looks familiar.

I stopped in there once on a work trip and it was a hockey overdose, I couldn't pick which rink to stay at so I wandered between all of them.

You're thinking the Super Rink in Blaine, this is actually Highland in St.Paul. The entryway looks almost identical and I didn't even think about that till now.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Ball hockey is huge in Canada too, they have tournaments all the time. Apparently Alexander Burrows was the best ball hockey player ever, just like completely dominated tournaments.

It is a terrible sport though full of the absolute worst people.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I remember playing ball hockey in gym class through school and it was always my favorite section of PE. When I was older I thought ball hockey was casual like kickball, then I realized its full of the guys at hockey games who yell "SHOOT! HIT HIM! OOOOH FIIIIGHT!" and want to be hockey bros but can't skate.

As for lacrosse, my area didn't know that sport even existed. Only a few of the largest rich schools back home have teams.

Where I grew up it was football for the jockey/tough guys, baseball for the rednecks who liked to chew tobacco, wresting for weight lifters, basketball for the tall guys and soccer for the pansies.

I played every sport, including racing BMX but I was never able to play organized hockey because of the cost, the lack of teams in my area, and the commitment from my family to play. I just played street in the summer, pond in the winter and then eventually started playing inline and ice around 20.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I have no kids so this is all word of mouth but I've heard lacrosse has gotten huge with kids the last 5 years or so. Not sure why, but I can confirm driving past sports fields I see way more lacrosse than even soccer.

This could be biased though as I live pretty close to a commune of yuppies.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

I have no kids so this is all word of mouth but I've heard lacrosse has gotten huge with kids the last 5 years or so. Not sure why, but I can confirm driving past sports fields I see way more lacrosse than even soccer.

This could be biased though as I live pretty close to a commune of yuppies.

Every time I see people playing lacrosse I just think cool sport and all but why wouldn't you just play hockey.

But then I think that about just about every sport so

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
From a logical standpoint it should be more popular.

Its a high speed game that has a fair bit of contact, requires less gear than hockey, doesn't require expensive ice time, isn't as brain-mushing as football, and isn't as boring as soccer.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Verman posted:

From a logical standpoint it should be more popular.

Its a high speed game that has a fair bit of contact, requires less gear than hockey, doesn't require expensive ice time, isn't as brain-mushing as football, and isn't as boring as soccer.

No doubt.

Hockey has been doubly screwed because for years it has been extremely hard to follow the play on TV. Watching hockey before HD was a challenge for anyone not used to the flow of play. Also hockey is way too goddamned expensive still.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Lacrosse has definitely seen a resurgence but saying it is more popular than soccer is a bit of a stretch. Otoh the part of North Vancouver I live in is quite dense in people from EMEA so I'm sure my local experience colours this as well.

The sport I've been seeing more of is cricket actually. There was a new pitch built for it near my place a year or two ago.

And agreed on the hockey cost - my son's league just bumped the cost 10% as they've had numbers decline for the last 4 years and not really any strategy for increasing them :smith:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Outside of skates I can't see why everything is so damned expensive. It's all injection molded plastic and felt. Sticks are expensive too but wouldn't wood sticks be an alternative for youth hockey or kids playing midget?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Vargatron posted:

Outside of skates I can't see why everything is so damned expensive. It's all injection molded plastic and felt. Sticks are expensive too but wouldn't wood sticks be an alternative for youth hockey or kids playing midget?

It's not just equipment. Ice is expensive too. And yeah you can go for cheap equipment but even if you do you're looking at a big investment to pay for equipment, ice, and league fees. Plus travel time/cost.

It's a huge investment and one most parents aren't gonna want to make unless they are in love with the sport. I was lucky in that my dad loved hockey and made enough money when I was growing up to let me play, but most kids aren't gonna fit that criteria.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Skates for kids can still be had cheap, but there's a lot of pressure to get the more expensive stuff - the producers deliberately make the cheap stuff barely functional so that you're forced up-tier to not wreck your kids' ankles or w/e

As for sticks - the difference in velocity with a composite vs a woody is so much different that if you want to play at the elite level (even in bantam and midget) you really need to be using composites. They have some cheaper comps so you can dip your toe for around $60/stick but if your kid gets serious about it you're pretty quickly into $200 sticks. OTOH if they end up in house there's a lot less need for this other than "cool factor"

I make good money so I can choke it down but I'm basically up to about $1500/year for my loving 7 year old already, with league fees, tourneys, travel, gear, and whatnot. There aren't any ponds to speak of around where I live so I can't just "throw him out wherever on skates". Organized programs are really all their is.

My kid is good-ish and he wants to try to get better, and I'm not ready to temper his enthusiasm for it so there's hockey camps and poo poo as well that run several hundred a week during the summer.

Another few years and he'll figure out he's 15% shorter than all the other good players and I can steer him into refereeing instead but until then it will be an expensive trip.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Well be thankful he's not a goalie at least. That's a big $$$ position.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Vargatron posted:

Well be thankful he's not a goalie at least. That's a big $$$ position.

No, he definitely wants to be a goalie. Until Atom they get gear from the league so I have another 2 years of reprieve before I have to eat that cost too.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Composite sticks for adults are a no brainer. I don't know your 7 year old's exact skill level but my guess would be his shot wouldn't suffer at all with the cheapest stick available.

I tell the parents of the kids I coach (10U) to buy their kid whatever, when he can go bar down from the faceoff dots it's time to start worrying about good sticks.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Chemmy posted:

Composite sticks for adults are a no brainer. I don't know your 7 year old's exact skill level but my guess would be his shot wouldn't suffer at all with the cheapest stick available.

I tell the parents of the kids I coach (10U) to buy their kid whatever, when he can go bar down from the faceoff dots it's time to start worrying about good sticks.

Yeah my answer got a bit jumbled but I referee Bantam and Midget AAA - it was them I was talking about the high end comp sticks for.

My son has a $25 entry level comp that I only got because it was on sale at our local hockey shop, and I use a classic woody to coach because I was never any good with it anyways :v:

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Ginette Reno posted:

Don't you live in the US? It's been big in Massachusetts/Philadelphia for years. Florida too, and probably other places.

It's a thing because you don't need to know dick about anything to play it. Just grab a stick and go take bad angle slap shots like an rear end in a top hat.
That's funny, I grew up on Cape Cod, one of the most yuppie areas of Massachusetts (though it is mostly because of tourists in summer time) and our school system didn't have lacrosse. It was a spring sport and the hockey team tried to convince the school on multiple occasions to add lacrosse because there was a ready made team since all of us hockey players would have played both but they never added it. Must have been too much budgeted for the other spring sports or something. We always got fed some line about lack of interest in people joining the team which is why our argument about having a team ready to go with practically the whole hockey team wanting to play was our best argument. In reality it had to be budget based, uniforms, busses to games, a coach, etc.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

We've been getting a bunch of lacrosse teams in school and weekend rec leagues, whereas 5 years ago if somebody knew a sport other football they'd probably just moved from somewhere else. I have probably 2 or 3 coworkers who have kids in lacrosse, boys and girls both. It's pretty cool, and the kids love it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A quick google shows that lacrosse participation in the US has grown from 250,000 in 2001 to 800,000 in 2015.

So maybe it's the hockey of the future when trump kills the ice caps and we no longer get cold weather.

edit - usa hockey players are increasing about 1% a year, lacrosse is managing 3%. Lacrosse actually beats usa hockey in registrations right now (542,583 hockey players last year).

xzzy fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Apr 18, 2017

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

xzzy posted:

A quick google shows that lacrosse participation in the US has grown from 250,000 in 2001 to 800,000 in 2015.

So maybe it's the hockey of the future when trump kills the ice caps and we no longer get cold weather.

edit - usa hockey players are increasing about 1% a year, lacrosse is managing 3%. Lacrosse actually beats usa hockey in registrations right now (542,583 hockey players last year).

Lacrosse can get played on a football field, where hockey can only be played in hockey rinks. Think of how many middle/high school football fields/stadiums there are compared to hockey rinks, especially in suburbia.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

yeah gently caress field hockey

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
For the longest time I thought Lacrosse was some weird made up sport that American pie invented, because we don't play it in England.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

dogstile posted:

For the longest time I thought Lacrosse was some weird made up sport that American pie invented, because we don't play it in England.

I mean, you're not wrong https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lacrosse#History