Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
That's very true, yeah. The way I do things is that, for havens that start with 4-5 resisties, I do recruitment, then when I have that 6th, I flip them to Intel full time until a Jailbreak pops. Usually I get a second one before vigilance goes up too high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Is killing an alien ruler the first time you encounter them as per the achievement even possible? As soon as they lose 1 row of health they immediately bail. The viper ruler armor and the freeze grenade only buy me 3 extra actions, and that's not enough to drop the remaining 40 or whatever health they have remaining.

I retried the mission and let it beat up my squad a bit to see if it would entice it to stick around but nope, bails as soon at 1 row of health is gone.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
The general tactic for that is to delay that mission until high ranks and higher tiers of gear. Of particular note is the Heavy Ordnance grenadier perk at Lieutenant (assuming base classes) which can give you a second Frost Bomb if you put it in the grenade-only slot. Plus you can save things like the Axe's throwing attack or Lightning Hands to get some extra damage in before he bails.

There's also the occasional lucky repeater activation after you've spent three goddamn turns positioning your soldiers for the fight, Reyes. ...Oh, don't mind me.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Suspicious posted:

Is killing an alien ruler the first time you encounter them as per the achievement even possible? As soon as they lose 1 row of health they immediately bail. The viper ruler armor and the freeze grenade only buy me 3 extra actions, and that's not enough to drop the remaining 40 or whatever health they have remaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvoM3Xqkuyk&t=1844s

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Suspicious posted:

I retried the mission and let it beat up my squad a bit to see if it would entice it to stick around but nope, bails as soon at 1 row of health is gone.

In addition to the above, Bladstorm wrecks them if yoy set your Ranger up properly.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
How can I know a ruler will show up before I take the mission? Berserker queen just showed up for the first time in a VIP-kidnapping council mission, chilling on a rooftop for no real reason.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Suspicious posted:

How can I know a ruler will show up before I take the mission? Berserker queen just showed up for the first time in a VIP-kidnapping council mission, chilling on a rooftop for no real reason.

Mods.

You can't in vanilla. Even when you get the scanner they're exempted.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
It turns out the crossbow's chance to stun can work on alien rulers, and the 2 extra actions let me kill the berserker queen just as it tried to run away. I spent hours on this stupid mission but hey, cheevos unlocked. Can't wait for the archon ruler which I hear is extra BS.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Suspicious posted:

You can do it with the viper king, yeah. I didn't use bladestorm for it. I had five of my dudes in overwatch, and had the sixth trigger the king. Then its a matter of using all of your big booms, free actions, and frost bombs. With the other two rulers, ehh, maybe you can get lucky and execute one.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Apoplexy posted:

I can answer a ton of questions about the strategic layer. Just ask away! On why setting everyone to Intel works best in many cases is that it'll get you a mission with a long enough timer remaining to allow you your optimal squad. Hell, even if you're just going to stealth it with a Shinobi or a Shinobi+Spec or 3x Shinobi or something, better to not have to waste intel boosting a mission's infiltration rate. Why Intel works better than Recruiting when you have at least 4 or 5: Getting a Rebel-packed Jailbreak mission makes Recruit functionality redundant. You're more likely to get a Jailbreak than the Resistance Workers you want from the same time spent on Recruit. Supply is still a job I have a hard time not doing. I usually turn every rebel past 9 or 10 onto it so I get 10 Intel/3 Supply per region at max.
This is good to know, but honestly I've been doing pretty well using mostly recruit for each haven. New recruits come onboard pretty fast. I'll focus a 2-3 regions at a time on really heavy intel to bring vigilance up there and let others sort of 'cool down', and once a region's got 13 reistance ops I can switch it to heavy intel and take over mostly from the others (or even squeeze out some minimal supplies). When intel's heavy I eventually get a lead on the liberation "questline" and if I can liberate the region (only 2 so far) I switch to almost entirely supply and a few intel just to watch for ADVENT attempts to recapture the area. I don't generally keep recruiting on in liberated regions because even though it can yield scientists or engineers on a REALLY minor chance, the intel-heavy regions normally get me enough from rescuing VIPs.

Also, I have over 800 intel at this point. I spend it almost never, skip only maybe 1 out of 10 missions if I can, and boost only when I can't get 100% or I'm on a one-man mission. So I guess I'm doing pretty well there.

Suspicious posted:

I managed to kill the Berserker Queen (only) on my first try, mostly because while I was waiting for another pod she wandered into a full squad of overwatches, then I hit her with chain shot and some other really high damage moves. She went immediately into fleeing mode and I got her with an overwatch, yet somehow didn't get the achievement for killing a ruler as it attempts to flee.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Suspicious posted:

I've done it the hard way versus Snake Dick, and have come damned close to both getting Piledriver Queen and Herr Archon Von Assholeberg on their first appearance. Putting off the Nest until you at least get tier 2 weapons does wonders just for giving you the extra damage to reduce the life expectancy of any of the Rulers. Obviously freeze grenades do wonders, especially if you put them on a Grenadier for 2x freeze uses. After that, any and all free actions (sniper free pistol shot, free reloads, etc.) do wonders to help you get more turns in since they won't react. Also special ammo/grenades: poison, fire and chemical burn all stack and can cause a ruler to lose several points of health a turn (or non-turn if they're frozen in ice while also burning alive). Finally anything that has a chance of stun can make a wonderful hail-mary. For this reason, Rangers with level 2 swords are potentially amazing against Rulers, especially if they have Bladestorm. Run up and sword the ruler, and watch Bladestorm activate for a chance to hit and stun when the Ruler runs for his/her portal.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vib Rib posted:

A good solution to both 1+2, in my mind, would be to tie all progress to Advent facilities. My favorite Avatar-rebalancing mod, which sadly is no longer being maintained, changed the system so that the generic Avatar project could never gain progress nebulously; it was always tied to facilities. If the project gains a tick of progress, that tick comes from one of its facilities, and can be undone by destroying that facility. As opposed to Vanilla, where some pips are just general progress and can never be undone. With how active and powerful Advent is in LW2, and how much trouble you have to go to to locate Advent HQs, this wouldn't even change the difficulty much -- it would mostly just prevent poo poo from happening like it did in that video.
Then, just do the same for dark events. Either tie them to facilities or give us missions to 'break' ongoing/permanent dark events. This feels like it should be easy/obvious. A chance to remove that +1 HP all enemies get by blowing up a cloning plant or something would fit both the theme and the methods of the mod.
You could argue this would let you stall out the Avatar Project forever, to which I say sure, but how does that change the balance any further, if you're already in a winning position? I mean if you can liberate the entire world from Advent control, I think you've kind of earned it.

I've isolated the numbers that need to be changed to make the things you want to happen, happen, but I don't know how to make it a mod, nor how to share it BUT, here are the changes you need to make to your own .ini

https://pastebin.com/4P15BrQj

Long War specifically, you can't make all of those changes manually, because it has it's own facility spawning system, that I couldn't find the guts for, but in the XcomGameData.ini

you have these lines of config:

code:
;Hours between subsequent points of doom appearing on fortress
MinFortressDoomInterval[0]=1200 ;Easy
MaxFortressDoomInterval[0]=1200
MinFortressDoomInterval[1]=1080 ;Normal
MaxFortressDoomInterval[1]=1080
MinFortressDoomInterval[2]=1020 ;Classic
MaxFortressDoomInterval[2]=1020
MinFortressDoomInterval[3]=960 ;Impossible
MaxFortressDoomInterval[3]=960
just change that to this

code:
;Hours between subsequent points of doom appearing on fortress
MinFortressDoomInterval[0]=999999999 ;Easy
MaxFortressDoomInterval[0]=999999999
MinFortressDoomInterval[1]=999999999 ;Normal
MaxFortressDoomInterval[1]=999999999
MinFortressDoomInterval[2]=999999999 ;Classic
MaxFortressDoomInterval[2]=999999999
MinFortressDoomInterval[3]=999999999 ;Impossible
MaxFortressDoomInterval[3]=999999999
It will essentially turn off the passive gain past the first point to trigger things, and then everything should be golden from there. So you still have to play whack-a-mole with facilities, but you don't have to worry about passive poo poo.

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Apr 16, 2017

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Can you instakill rulers with a repeater because that is pretty much the only thing that would make me even consider turning on that bullshit

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Digirat posted:

Can you instakill rulers with a repeater because that is pretty much the only thing that would make me even consider turning on that bullshit

Yes, but it's as rare as a regular Repeater kill in vanilla is. Rulers are real jerks.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
e: Dumb to post this in two posts, instead of just one

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Digirat posted:

Zemalf killed first two rulers with repeater shots of same sniper. Berserker queen got executed even before it could do any action.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Just started another campaign after a long pause. Was it ever the case that running an Overwatch with a Ranger (with the appropriate perk that makes the ranger immune to overwatch or reaction fire ; forgot the name) doesn't even trigger the Overwatch? I seem to recall that in the past you'd trigger it but it would automatically miss - effectively removing the overwatch. Maybe I'm confusing XCOM2 with EU? Or was this nerfed changed in patch? If so, any other chance I should know about?

Also, what's a "good" time to do the two DLC missions? What kind of ennemies should I expect (so I can gear appropriately) ?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Is it Covering Fire you're thinking of? Because I've noticed it NOT ONLY doesn't work half the time it's supposed to, not triggering on enemy fire and all, but takes into account their cover, where they'll usually be when they take a shot. Garbage perk. Everyone says so.

edit: Nope, I misread. I thought you were talking about the other end of overwatching. Shadowstep is the perk that makes a unit NOT trigger Overwatch or Reaction Fire at all. Lightning Reflexes is the one that gives you a monster-sized boost to their defense when running through Overwatch/Reaction Fire, allowing that unit to safely clear out overwatches. I forget which is in XCOM2 vanilla, but both exist in LWPP and Long War 2.

Most people say Magnetics and Combat Armor are enough to get through both DLC missions, though, for what that's worth. Be forewarned that, while the SPARK mission gets you the free SPARK unit and all, the Alien Nest mission releases the alien rulers into the wild, to appear in your guerrilla ops at random. Best hold off on doing THAT mission until you're reasonably confident in your squad.

Apoplexy fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 16, 2017

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Furism posted:

Just started another campaign after a long pause. Was it ever the case that running an Overwatch with a Ranger (with the appropriate perk that makes the ranger immune to overwatch or reaction fire ; forgot the name) doesn't even trigger the Overwatch? I seem to recall that in the past you'd trigger it but it would automatically miss - effectively removing the overwatch. Maybe I'm confusing XCOM2 with EU? Or was this nerfed changed in patch? If so, any other chance I should know about?

Also, what's a "good" time to do the two DLC missions? What kind of ennemies should I expect (so I can gear appropriately) ?

Yes, you are confusing Lightning Reflexes (EU, does trigger the OW shot) with Shadowstep (XCOM2, does not trigger OW shot.)

I'd wait until magnetic weapons before doing Shen's Last Gift. Not sure I'd do the other mission at all.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Lightning reflexes was also available in vanilla xcom2 as an AWC perk, iirc.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Right, thanks for the reminder, guys! I was indeed confusing Lightning Reflexes with Shadowstep.

I think I'll tackle Shen's Last Gift next then, but from reading the last few pages I'm kind of thinking of going "screw this" when it comes to the Alien Rules one.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Well, the funny thing about the Alien Hunters DLC is that it's split into two parts: The weapons and then the rulers and their armors. The weapons you get from a Point of Interest spawn that is a prelude to the Alien Nest mission. You get the weapons-- the frost bomb, boltcaster, pistole, and axes-- from a non-mission pop-up. Just scan and you get 'em all at once and there ya go. The Alien Nest PoI will spawn at a later date. You can ignore THAT ONE and keep the weapons from earlier just fine without activating the Alien Rulers. The only stuff you'd miss out on then is the armor you get from skinning them.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
What's up with the UFO chasing the Avenger? I specifically did the the Dark Event mission to prevent it from happening so it must be some random event? The UFO has been chasing the Avenger ever since, for like 6 months now. Will it eventually go or do I have to go through the base defense thing (which would not be cool at this point of the campaign I think).

Apoplexy posted:

Well, the funny thing about the Alien Hunters DLC is that it's split into two parts: The weapons and then the rulers and their armors. The weapons you get from a Point of Interest spawn that is a prelude to the Alien Nest mission. You get the weapons-- the frost bomb, boltcaster, pistole, and axes-- from a non-mission pop-up. Just scan and you get 'em all at once and there ya go. The Alien Nest PoI will spawn at a later date. You can ignore THAT ONE and keep the weapons from earlier just fine without activating the Alien Rulers. The only stuff you'd miss out on then is the armor you get from skinning them.

Yes I got the weapons. The throwing axe is amazing, the gun is kinda cool, the frost grenade is awesome, and I don't use the shotgun because it's only 1 ammo (my main Ranger was blessed with Serial by the AWC gods). But they're starting to lag behind damage-wise it seems?

Furism fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 16, 2017

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Yeah, once you hit Magnetics research it'll let you upgrade them.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

Apoplexy posted:

Yeah, once you hit Magnetics research it'll let you upgrade them.

IF you do the mission that lets the bosses out into the world. If you never do that mission you can't upgrade the weapons. This is a fine compromise from my perspective.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Tricky Ed posted:

IF you do the mission that lets the bosses out into the world. If you never do that mission you can't upgrade the weapons. This is a fine compromise from my perspective.

Eventually most things you get from that scanning site get kind of useless except the frost grenade which is always useful.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

monster on a stick posted:

Eventually most things you get from that scanning site get kind of useless except the frost grenade which is always useful.

Shadowkeeper is literally a pistol with bonus aim and a special always hit shot that conceals if it kills. Its arguably better than the frostbomb.

The other two fall off a bit though, yeah. 1 shot is crippling for the caster and the axe has lower chances of inflicting stun/burn than equivalent tier swords (25% vs 75%)

Zore fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 16, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Still waiting on an actual expansion that improves on the game.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say it's BETTER than the Frost Bomb, but the aim bonus remains useful, though the guaranteed hit loses some value as you upgrade normal pistols to have higher damage. Particularly if your Sharpshooter is going Gunslinger, you'll want to give them a Mag or Beam pistol over the base Shadowkeeper.

The one undeniably useful feature of the Shadowkeeper's guaranteed shot is to knock the Archon King out of his piledriver - assuming the sharpshooter holding it is close enough.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

BlazetheInferno posted:

Well, I wouldn't go so far as to say it's BETTER than the Frost Bomb, but the aim bonus remains useful, though the guaranteed hit loses some value as you upgrade normal pistols to have higher damage. Particularly if your Sharpshooter is going Gunslinger, you'll want to give them a Mag or Beam pistol over the base Shadowkeeper.

The one undeniably useful feature of the Shadowkeeper's guaranteed shot is to knock the Archon King out of his piledriver - assuming the sharpshooter holding it is close enough.

I mean yeah, but people who don't do the ruler missions are missing out on fun poo poo and the Plasma level shadowkeeper is bonkers fun

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Is this the cool kids place to talk about BeagleRush. I don't think I've seen him on the forums for quite some time now, but his return to form is pretty good.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Zore posted:

I mean yeah, but people who don't do the ruler missions are missing out on fun poo poo and the Plasma level shadowkeeper is bonkers fun

True, but the conversation was about the inability to upgrade the items without doing the Alien Nest mission, and the usefulness of the weapons with that in mind.

Also: Turns out that a Shinobi from the Long War Perk Pack can still get Phantom from the AWC. Whoops.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I don't think there's any point in building a workshop, unfortunately. A build of GTS - comms - power - awc - foundry - power lets you perfectly everything you need ASAP with no engineers needed in a power facility at the end and using the first 6 (quickest to excavate) building slots. Then you can put the psi labs and shadow chamber on power coils and still need no engineers on power and upgrade both power facilities but leave them unmanned to power upgrading the comms still without an engineer on power. If you put a workshop in there, you need to keep an engineer on power which means you've gained an extra engineer but require an extra engineer so you're spending the more crucial part of the game where supplies are most limited spending more supplies for no advantage.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
It all comes down to how many engineers you have available to you. If the game is refusing to give you engineers, and you don't have the intel/supplies available to safely purchase more, then the multiplying factor of the Workshop is extremely helpful. One engineer becomes two, two become four. Building a workshop is cheaper than buying an engineer from Resistance HQ.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I want my goddamn archangel armour back, is that too much to ask for?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

I want my goddamn archangel armour back, is that too much to ask for?

Yeah, it's unfortunate but Firaxis neutered the gently caress out of flying as a concept during X1 -> X2. Doesn't even work, the Long War team had to do a bunch of fixes to even get the drone enemy to work, so the likelihood we'll see archangel armour as a mod is low, it'll be a solid investment of time to do so.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Maluco Marinero posted:

Yeah, it's unfortunate but Firaxis neutered the gently caress out of flying as a concept during X1 -> X2. Doesn't even work, the Long War team had to do a bunch of fixes to even get the drone enemy to work, so the likelihood we'll see archangel armour as a mod is low, it'll be a solid investment of time to do so.

Those drones are the most goddamn annoying thing. Especially since I've got the alien pack (vanilla, the rest of LW2 doesn't appeal to me) and have been trying to move up to Legendary just to say I beat Legendary. Because of their innate 20 "flying" defense you have to shove a rookie's face into one to get even a ~60% to hit, especially if you like having Not Created Equally/random gains on like I do. Once you get any aim/abilities they become nearly trivial, but until that point they're a nightmare.

How do I know this? Legendary Gatecrasher with the LW2 Aliens Pack adds a pod with a Sectoid and Drone in it in addition to the 3 soldiers and 2 soldiers with Officer pods.

Also, I'm starting to think an expack might really be in the works. I didn't see this come up previously despite this news being nearly two weeks old, but the official XCOM Youtube channel uploaded a "First Year of the Resistance" on the 3rd:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-16XOsStco

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

BlazetheInferno posted:

It all comes down to how many engineers you have available to you. If the game is refusing to give you engineers, and you don't have the intel/supplies available to safely purchase more, then the multiplying factor of the Workshop is extremely helpful. One engineer becomes two, two become four. Building a workshop is cheaper than buying an engineer from Resistance HQ.

One engineer doesn't become two because the workshop uses one power and takes up a spot that could have been providing +3 power with a much cheaper power facility, leaving you 4 power behind a workshopless build. This requires you to staff a power plant with an engineer so it increases the number of engineers available by one and the number of engineers you require by one leaving you exactly where you started except you spent more money and have more upkeep.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I see what you're saying there, and yes unupgraded workshops provide a small benefit for a real supplies/opportunity cost, but I have never, ever, run into power problems. I usually run off a single (iirc) power plant until I'm at the literal bottom row. But anyone building workshops usually wants them fully staffed asap, and getting 2 'free' engineers is usually worth the engineer that has to go into the power plant, which in turns spits out net positive power. The bottom line is that you're spending supplies for extra engineers, which most people are ecstatic to do barring unusual early mission rewards. Laboratories being trash despite using the exact same mechanic of spending stuff for more dudes can be highlighted to show how useful early engis are over almost anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Plus there's opportunity costs, clearing debris earlier, getting the supplies/alloys from them, and the resultant buys or builds you can make from those.