Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Bombadilillo posted:

Classic goon groupthink weird opinions like "bloodborne is good' :jerkbag:

I'm not a huge fan of Souls games but I understand the appeal and can tell they are well made games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ammanas posted:

Well when the replies are 'what there are so many great games' without listing a single game you kinda wonder what the theme to the thread is

still haven't googled wii u?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Actually I considered buying a Wii u before PS4 but Nintendo hasn't made a good system since the GameCube. Appreciate your advice friend

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Also the switch is pretty good. But if you wanna talk about No Games. Wait on that.

Ammanas posted:

Well when the replies are 'what there are so many great games' without listing a single game you kinda wonder what the theme to the thread is

What kind of games you you like buddy. From your post I got

No anime.
No cinematic
No Soulsborne
Nothing I can't do better on pc
Horizon was cool.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Some people do not understand why others would not enjoy things like bloodborne and nioh when they are some of the most inaccessible niche games that exist. Recommending those sorts of games to everyone expecting they will enjoy them is foolish. Even more foolish are statements like "oh you must not like video games there are so many great games they are called nioh bloodborne dark souls what is wrong with you if you don't like them!!!!!"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Ammanas posted:

Actually I considered buying a Wii u before PS4 but Nintendo hasn't made a good system since the GameCube. Appreciate your advice friend

you hosed it

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Bombadilillo posted:

No anime.
No cinematic
No Soulsborne
Horizon was cool.

I like good games, ty

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Wandle Cax posted:

Some people do not understand why others would not enjoy things like bloodborne and nioh when they are some of the most inaccessible niche games that exist. Recommending those sorts of games to everyone expecting they will enjoy them is foolish. Even more foolish are statements like "oh you must not like video games there are so many great games they are called nioh bloodborne dark souls what is wrong with you if you don't like them!!!!!"

He said. "I know I wasnt gonna like it but I got it and OMG its poo poo."

Also you are full of it. Everyone knows they aren't for everyone and the recommendations are always "If you like Soulsborne then you should get..." We all know we are broken for liking souls games not everyone else.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Ammanas posted:

I like good games, ty

No good games on ps4 then. Sorry for your purchase.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

I already said I'm not bothered by you liking things I don't like, not sure why your feelings are so deeply hurt.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bombadilillo posted:

Also the switch is pretty good. But if you wanna talk about No Games. Wait on that.

No anime.
No cinematic
No Soulsborne
Horizon was cool.

Madden/FIFA/The Show?

NBA 2K is really good but it might be too cinematic

Speaking of which, I am legit excited for this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9XO1iibfSI

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

all the classic 8 and 16 bit games from japan are actually just anime but the pixel art resolution is too low for you to tell.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

I actually bought the PS4 for the RDR sequel in December. It's called "being ready"

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Ammanas posted:

Alright mini-post mortem on my PS4 purchase:

Mixed. Game library remains massively unfulfilling.

Horizon is a legit marquee title. It's pretty, has a good narrative and original gameplay. No regrets on this one. The sound design alone keeps you hunting machines.

Nier....What the hell is this game. I hate it but I keep coming back to it. So many weird, anachronistic elements. Dumb anime poo poo all over. Wasn't worth the price but I keep playing. Befuddling but fun, aggravating but addictive

Bloodborne: I knew I wouldn't like it, grabbed it anyway for cheap. gently caress this ugly, lovely game. Seriously do not get people's obsession with Dark Souls and Bloodborne. Tremendously unenjoyable

Shadows of Mordor: I had remembered this game being better than it is. Also another cheap grab. It's alright.

Uncharted 4: quite a semi-interactive cinematic achievement.

Going to grab Rachet & Clank next. Wish there was more to the library than this. Have a feeling I'll be using the 4 as a media server even more than I did for the PS3. I'm pretty sure I had like 18 games for PS3.

The hardware and design is pretty fresh. Controller is great and the standby system that loads an 'off' console directly into a loaded game is dope.

And... Knack?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Ammanas posted:

I already said I'm not bothered by you liking things I don't like, not sure why your feelings are so deeply hurt.

I ask you what you do like. And you were an rear end in a top hat about it. Glad to hear you are so calm and not bothered. Cool how you can do that and manage to be an rear end in a top hat at the same time.

Nobody can recommend you games when all you have said is negatives and nobody knows what you are looking for you dumb dumb goon.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Purchasing a PS4 in anticipation of Knack 2 would not be the worst decision

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ammanas posted:

I like good games, ty

Why did you ask in the first place if you were going to be an unhelpful twat about it

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ammanas posted:

Alright mini-post mortem on my PS4 purchase:

Mixed. Game library remains massively unfulfilling.

Horizon is a legit marquee title. It's pretty, has a good narrative and original gameplay. No regrets on this one. The sound design alone keeps you hunting machines.

Nier....What the hell is this game. I hate it but I keep coming back to it. So many weird, anachronistic elements. Dumb anime poo poo all over. Wasn't worth the price but I keep playing. Befuddling but fun, aggravating but addictive

Bloodborne: I knew I wouldn't like it, grabbed it anyway for cheap. gently caress this ugly, lovely game. Seriously do not get people's obsession with Dark Souls and Bloodborne. Tremendously unenjoyable

Shadows of Mordor: I had remembered this game being better than it is. Also another cheap grab. It's alright.

Uncharted 4: quite a semi-interactive cinematic achievement.

Going to grab Rachet & Clank next. Wish there was more to the library than this. Have a feeling I'll be using the 4 as a media server even more than I did for the PS3. I'm pretty sure I had like 18 games for PS3.

The hardware and design is pretty fresh. Controller is great and the standby system that loads an 'off' console directly into a loaded game is dope.

I recommend Senran Kagura Peach Beach Splash for your exquisitely refined tastes.

Puyo Puyo Tetris is also legitimately good.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

whens this pos getting a halo?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Is it not heavenly enough already?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Well, ill repeat myself: I liked Uncharted, Nier (for some inexplicable reason), Shadows of Mordor and Horizon, the last being the only AAA title of the bunch. The only game I hate is bloodborne, because it is a trash game.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Ammanas posted:

Well, ill repeat myself: I liked Uncharted, Nier (for some inexplicable reason), Shadows of Mordor and Horizon, the last being the only AAA title of the bunch. The only game I hate is bloodborne, because it is a trash game.

I think Uncharted is AAA

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Midjack posted:

Is it not heavenly enough already?

gaming ambrosia

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Wandle Cax posted:

I think Uncharted is AAA

the AAA is very well charted in my neighborhood, they have maps of every state and province for sale

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

AAA is a category of production scale and not a rating of quality

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Wandle Cax posted:

I think Uncharted is AAA

It's production values are simply staggering but it felt really on-rails. Which I guess isn't that valid a criticism of a videogame that's explicitly cinematic. Ill give it two As

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That's a good point. I'll give Uncharted an A-

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I mean, you could try Yakuza 0 or Infamous Second Son/First Light or Resogun? Those are my go-to recommendations.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Ammanas posted:

It's production values are simply staggering but it felt really on-rails. Which I guess isn't that valid a criticism of a videogame that's explicitly cinematic. Ill give it two As

For a linear game I thought it was surprisingly not on rails, there were those few open-ish vehicle sections and most of the combat encounters were fairly open ended too in layout and stealth or combat options

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

FauxLeather posted:

Same. There is so much gameplay footage from E3 2011 it's sad that a publisher would just drop a game that's so far along with development. It's definitely a common thing in the industry, but still, drat.

Nah, rumors were that what was shown at that E3 was literally all they had for the game. It was a rickety clockwork mechanism that could be "played" but only if you followed their script. Which, to be fair, isn't really out of the ordinary for early E3 demos.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yes, in the games industry AAA means that the budget was over a certain amount.

illBilliam
Jan 8, 2006

Ammanas posted:

What about The Last of Us remastered? Any of the Batman games?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Tales of Berseria is good

And Persona 5

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

I'll check out infamous. Last of Us was a brilliant game but after several run-throughs and dozens of hours of mp on PS3 I think I'm good on buying it again.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wandle Cax posted:

Fwiw it's very common on the internet for people to come into a thread like "wow souls sucks what garbage rear end stupid games series only a moron could like" and then act shocked when people who like them react negatively and then they go "this is why I hate Souls fans! They can't accept that people don't like souls!"

Not that the poster in question went quite that far, but many have, and it's not that shocking that someone will get poo poo on when they call a well loved game garbage because they spent 15 minutes playing it and didn't like it. He's called it trash like 5 times and he has no idea what he's talking about, is everyone just supposed to be like "yeah man you are totally right"?

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 17, 2017

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Excuse me it was 30 minutes

I get why people like it, it's a highly technical and challenging game that rewards practice, repetition and tactical play. I'd love a game like that that wasn't wrapped in an awful aesthetic or had a genuine, compelling narrative.

e: like I said I don't particularly care if you agree or disagree. I'm merely stating my opinion, not asking for validation.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

is everyone just supposed to be like "yeah man you are totally right"?

usf already covered that last page

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I personally think it's fine for someone to dislike something I like. Bloodborne is one of my favorite games of all time, but it isn't for everyone. I love the aesthetic which is disgusting as they said, but intentionally so. If it's not their thing, it's not a personal attack against me and I'm not going to jump on them over a difference of opinion.

Nier is cool y'all. It's really chill and the combat is satisfying. I like riding the animals and ramming things.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Nioh is another sweet game but it's got that Souls feel... but it isn't "ugly, lovely" or have "bad sound".

So depending on what you actually disliked about Bloodborne beyond the aesthetic, maybe look into that?

Also maybe consider Gamefly or Redbox and save yourself some heartache if you have really strict preferences...

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Destiny is real good but going to die in September when the sequel hits. Definitely the most fun I've had in a game with goons since CoD4 on the 360. People don't like that a bunch of the story is buried in a grimoire accessible via Bungie.net or a phone app because they'd rather read text files on their TV I guess. But it's a fun loot shooter and probably the most mechanically sound fps on a console.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

At this point I just sort of wish they'd release a standalone multiplayer because there isn't a more fun FPS as far as the multiplayer shooting and gameplay goes but everything relating to single player content was trash trash trash and you basically had to do it at least once. Basically I just want Battlefield Destiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Destiny was one of the reasons I got a PS4 but then I never actually bought it. Something about it is very hard to figure out to me. A lot of it looks really great but then there seems to be so much awful poo poo that would drag it down for me, like many of the worst parts of an MMO.