Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Well, it didn't take him long to delete his twitter account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Guest2553 posted:

unless you're white!

I like that they thought this was a quote worthy of The Big Letters and not just dumb and racist

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Slime posted:

Funerals dictate that you have to spend thousands to honour your dead loved ones. Thousands spent on putting them in an expensive box and then letting them rot in the ground, or burning them to ash.

just let med students cut up my corpse then toss the rest into a big ditch, i don't really give a gently caress what happens to my body when i'm dead since i won't be using it anymore

Or cremation. Rockin party. Spread the ashes with friends and loved ones.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Slime posted:

Funerals dictate that you have to spend thousands to honour your dead loved ones. Thousands spent on putting them in an expensive box and then letting them rot in the ground, or burning them to ash.

just let med students cut up my corpse then toss the rest into a big ditch, i don't really give a gently caress what happens to my body when i'm dead since i won't be using it anymore

I don't even have a tv funeral.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Slime posted:

I buried my mother for $700. And that was service and food for 20 guests.

And they still took for for $200 because when I asked to cremate her in a cardboard box the funeral home said they needed a wooden box or she wouldn't burn properly.

On her death bed she threatened to haunt me if I let the "leeches" get more money than what was needed to finish the task.

8 years later I buried her dad at $600 with food.

I swear to do my good for nothing father at less than $300. Cremate him at full power and blow him out the chimney. Then burger king for the siblings.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Catberry posted:

I buried my mother for $700. And that was service and food for 20 guests.

And they still took for for $200 because when I asked to cremate her in a cardboard box the funeral home said they needed a wooden box or she wouldn't burn properly.

On her death bed she threatened to haunt me if I let the "leeches" get more money than what was needed to finish the task.

8 years later I buried her dad at $600 with food.

Holy poo poo, where was this? I had to pay $3k to have my mom cremated in Maryland. :smith:

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Holy poo poo, where was this? I had to pay $3k to have my mom cremated in Maryland. :smith:

Sweden mind you. We have a burial tax here (0.22%) Which covers most of the funeral costs when you die. Because everyone will eventually die and need to be tended to so the state covers the mandatory stuff.

The burial tax covers

Storage of the deceased.
Transportation of the deceased
A place to hold the ceremony
Burial process and a burial plot for 25 years

My mother requested to be cremated and her ashes spread at a memorial site so what I paid for was the box, the lawyer to handle her estate, the food, and a place to serve the food where we would all eat.

Which came to about $700.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I like that they thought this was a quote worthy of The Big Letters and not just dumb and racist

The comma between "urban" and "hip-hop" bothers me. At least be consistent, you dumb article!

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Yeah, if people wonder what appropriation is, just look at articles about anything taken from black culture.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Possibly the worst username/post combo.
Boo-tay. Tay. TAY. TAY!

[edit] Your overthruster's for poo poo.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

:thermidor:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Catberry posted:

Sweden mind you. We have a burial tax here (0.22%) Which covers most of the funeral costs when you die. Because everyone will eventually die and need to be tended to so the state covers the mandatory stuff.

The burial tax covers

Storage of the deceased.

My mother requested to be cremated and her ashes spread at a memorial site so what I paid for was the box, the lawyer to handle her estate, the food, and a place to serve the food where we would all eat.

Do they dig you up after a quarter century. I didn't think Sweden was hurting for burial space.

You can get cremated here for five to eight hundred. And if you're cremating, you have time to order your headstone online at 1/4th the cost. If you're lucky you might even have a coupon code.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Catberry posted:

The burial tax covers

Storage of the deceased.

That's a fairly enlightened concept. Out of curiosity, what happens with the burial plot after 25 years?

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
I think they get interred in a mausoleum or something similar.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I thought everyone had learned by now that Sweden is the greatest country on this planet

Fanky Malloons
Aug 21, 2010

Is your social worker inside that horse?
As a funeral director, let me just say that some of us are nice people who just want to help you figure out how to bury/cremate your dead loved ones in the way that's best for you. It probably varies by state/province/country, but where I am, hardly anything is mandatory (embalming, etc) and I go out of my way to make sure people know when something isn't required, and not to push things on people that they don't really want. The only time I really argue with people is if they want to do a viewing and the person who died looks awful for whatever reason (decomposing, autopsied, etc) and I know they're probably going to be horrified if they don't let us fix them up.

FYI, It's not something a lot of people think about when someone's just died, but it's totally normal for people to call around to all the local funeral homes and see who has the cheapest prices -- a good general rule of thumb is that if they won't give you prices on the phone, and/or won't explain what their costs cover until they've got you trapped in the arrangement room, then gently caress 'em.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Krispy Kareem posted:

Do they dig you up after a quarter century. I didn't think Sweden was hurting for burial space.

You can get cremated here for five to eight hundred. And if you're cremating, you have time to order your headstone online at 1/4th the cost. If you're lucky you might even have a coupon code.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

That's a fairly enlightened concept. Out of curiosity, what happens with the burial plot after 25 years?

If the family hasn't bought extra time then they may put someone else in there after 25 years. The country isn't hurting for spots but people can be picky about individual graveyards.

Edit: Standard practice is to not put another body in there until at least 50 years after the last person. It's just that the family loses the right to the spot for the second quarter century.

Fanky Malloons posted:

As a funeral director, let me just say that some of us are nice people who just want to help you figure out how to bury/cremate your dead loved ones in the way that's best for you. It probably varies by state/province/country, but where I am, hardly anything is mandatory (embalming, etc) and I go out of my way to make sure people know when something isn't required, and not to push things on people that they don't really want. The only time I really argue with people is if they want to do a viewing and the person who died looks awful for whatever reason (decomposing, autopsied, etc) and I know they're probably going to be horrified if they don't let us fix them up.

FYI, It's not something a lot of people think about when someone's just died, but it's totally normal for people to call around to all the local funeral homes and see who has the cheapest prices -- a good general rule of thumb is that if they won't give you prices on the phone, and/or won't explain what their costs cover until they've got you trapped in the arrangement room, then gently caress 'em.

Sounds like quite the... undertaking.

Catberry has a new favorite as of 21:18 on Apr 16, 2017

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

goose willis posted:

Hey look it's that "10 scariest theories known to man" post again: http://imgur.com/gallery/YKIKY

I like how every time it's the exact same post and there's always Roko's Basilisk

I like how the logical response to pretty much all of them is "There's no way to know one way or the other, so best not to worry about it."

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Sunswipe posted:

I like how the logical response to pretty much all of them is "There's no way to know one way or the other, so best not to worry about it."

I was reading them as a bunch of "what if..." Which is about the same thing.

What if you are matrixed into the is really so aliens can buttfuck you 25/8? Can't prove you arent. 11th scariest "theory"

Bombadilillo has a new favorite as of 21:57 on Apr 16, 2017

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Bombadilillo posted:

What if you are matrixed into the is really so aliens can buttfuck you 25/8? Can't prove you arent. 11th scariest "theory"

:nws:/:nms: http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/johnson_10_09/

vvv you got it, bro

Pastry of the Year has a new favorite as of 22:24 on Apr 16, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Nostril loving alien. Hot stuff.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

:nws:/:nms: that poo poo, Jesus!

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

saying 'tumblr' is upset about something is around as accurate as saying 'something awful' is upset about something

This in group i associate with has varied members with unique personalities and individual opinions. This out group is a monolith.

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

Fanky Malloons posted:

NPR recently did a big article on predatory practices by funeral homes and the lack of transparency. It was an eye opening story.
http://www.npr.org/2017/02/07/504020003/a-funeral-may-cost-you-thousands-less-just-by-crossing-the-street

http://www.npr.org/2017/02/08/504031472/despite-decades-old-law-funeral-prices-are-still-unclear

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

JOHNSON COCKSLAP posted:

This in group i associate with has varied members with unique personalities and individual opinions. This out group is a monolith.

This, and also whining about tumblr as a metonym for angry teenagers is a rock-solid sign of Being Old. Other symptoms include irrational hatred of the word bae, selfies, and dubstep.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Staryberry posted:

NPR recently did a big article on predatory practices by funeral homes and the lack of transparency. It was an eye opening story.

Jessica Mitford's The American Way of Death, from 1963, is raw and sharp and, sadly, still relevant.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Plom Bar posted:

This, and also whining about tumblr as a metonym for angry teenagers is a rock-solid sign of Being Old. Other symptoms include irrational hatred of the word bae, selfies, and dubstep.

What about the word fam, fam?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Yeah, my grandfather had some old buzzard try to gouge him out of more money like this. My grandmother insisted on the cheapest coffin, the cheapest service, but this fucker tried to tell him how the expensive ones would be treating her and her memory right and honoring her, and the only reason he didn't get taken was my really angry mother was there with him. They couldn't get prices anywhere in their small town beforehand. He was trying to upsell without even saying prices. It's just "a little bit more".

Fanky Malloons posted:

a good general rule of thumb is that if they won't give you prices on the phone, and/or won't explain what their costs cover until they've got you trapped in the arrangement room, then gently caress 'em.

Every single funeral home in town did this. Every single one.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Plom Bar posted:

There's nothing wrong with being an old, but if you can't look at teens and see people who will go after everything with righteous fury absent any sense of nuance of context, then you're not any better than them. No one here has really had a problem with cultural appropriation as explained by people in the thread. Instead you're all railing against the strawman version they you know comes from dumb kids and assholes.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Why does Tumblr get so upset over minority and feminist issues?

I just can't figure it out.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

saying 'tumblr' is upset about something is around as accurate as saying 'something awful' is upset about something

Somethingawful is upset about everything.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

This is proof that literary awards need to die in a fire.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

That's... certainly something. :stare:

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

tyblazitar posted:

That's... certainly something. :stare:

http://clarkesworldmagazine.com/johnson_04_13_reprint/

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

Got this interaction on my video. Yeah, youtube is shooting fish in a barrel but this was spectacularly stupid. Note: I am a woman and I am good at a video game. The bit I forgot to expand was a bit where he said women should go back to playing bejeweled and farmville and let the men play the real video games.

And a total lack of self awareness to top it off:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I absolutely love the idea of some kind of false flag operation woman-narrated youtube let's play channel. :allears:

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Yoshesque why did you engage that person for so long

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I plan on burying my mother beneath the great blue sky to be consumed by the creatures of this earth. What should I look for in a funeral home?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I can't believe there are people who actually try to have a debate over youtube comments. I do my best to not even look at the comments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://youtu.be/0Rtu1Va-dnM