Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I just wanna say this thread got kind weird these last few days. I love you guys, though. Keep it classy, ok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Regardless, there's no magic bullet in the ARM space that would allow Nintendo to make a handheld console and run graphically complex games at 1080p at high frame rates. The hardware just doesn't exist.

Something like Borderlands 2 is about the limit of what the console is going to be able to handle at 1080p and even that is probably going to have an average frame rate below 60.

I mean people can be aware of that and still express disappointment upon learning that a game is gonna run at only 720p.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
honestly w/r/t "performance", Nintendo kind of asked for it when they claimed that the Switch was "a home console that happens to have a handheld mode" instead of the reverse

I never expected it to not be a souped-up handheld, but the longer they try to say it's in the same arena as beefier consoles the more of these comparisons they're inviting where the switch is going to come out looking worse

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4TbAYwuYs8

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAxFjVCkpRY

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

http://i.imgur.com/ec2r9Fv.mp4

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gotta order one of these in time for Mario Kart

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I want that cat

but i have one of those arm thingies. It's awesome

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

that looks like my cat

i don't think i would ever actually get one of those arms but boy that seems convenient for playing while being a lazy piece of garbage

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

As a cat owner & lover, I know that look. "I am incredibly embarrassed to be in this picture, and I lick my own rear end in plain view in order to bathe"

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

but i have one of those arm thingies. It's awesome

What brand/model is it?

Does it just slip in under the mattress or is it on a stand?

I'm after something I can just slip under a mattress and is held down by the mattresses weight

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Infinitum posted:

What brand/model is it?

Does it just slip in under the mattress or is it on a stand?

I'm after something I can just slip under a mattress and is held down by the mattresses weight

If it's like the one I have (which is not on my bed but eye level at my work desk) it has a desk clamp... but you could probably clamp it onto a piece of plywood to slip under the mattress...

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Is anyone planning on trying to snag a Switch from Nintendo World on Monday morning? They said they're gonna have them at 10 am I believe.

Have any goons bought one before from NYC? How much earlier should I show up?

like 8

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

This was much funnier than it should have been....

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ordering Mario Kart 8 Deluxe from Target gets you a Switch/Mario Kart branded Rubix Cube for some reason:

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I can't really tell the difference between 720p and 1080p

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

turn on your tv

s.i.r.e. posted:

Ordering Mario Kart 8 Deluxe from Target gets you a Switch/Mario Kart branded Rubix Cube for some reason:

nerdy highschool rubix cube club teens will be extremely hype for this. they might even solve it in front of their backs just to see its cool art this time even though they can do it behind their backs cause they memorized the algorithm

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

bowmore posted:

How bad are your eyes?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

s.i.r.e. posted:

Jesus, check out the 3p resolution on that thing. And a 1:1 aspect ratio?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

s.i.r.e. posted:

gently caress, I really want that Rubix Cube but I'm going digital for MK8.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Just buy a Rubix Cube from Walmart or something and play with it while MK8 downloads.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Apparently they did a cube with Mario Maker and it was really cheaply made and didn't work well.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Policenaut posted:

Just buy a Rubix Cube from Walmart or something and play with it while MK8 downloads.

I already have a cube, friend. The Cube, actually (it's really drat good). but a MK cube would be cool for my desk.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

bowmore posted:

it's admittedly harder if you don't have a large tv and/or sit relatively farther away. i use an extra computer monitor at my desk for my consoles so those pixels are right up in my face.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kazy posted:

Apparently they did a cube with Mario Maker and it was really cheaply made and didn't work well.

If you can flip it on eBay for the price of Mario Kart 8 then it'll work really well.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

gently caress, I really want that Rubix Cube but I'm going digital for MK8.

Same. I wish digital purchases would get some extras like this too.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

404notfound posted:

4K is the new 3D when it comes to TVs, i.e., you can't get a nicer TV that doesn't have it. Hopefully 4K will be around to stay though. I don't think I've ever tried 3D on my TV other than briefly firing up Arkham Asylum to see how it felt--and then promptly turning it back off.

Better resolution isn't a fad, better screens have an actual use and unlike 3D it's an improvement (like better CPUs). Things like 3D are just tacked on poo poo that nobody really needs (or wants) for regular use but going to 4K is just a thing that'll happen over time just as TVs went from 240 to 480, then 720, 1080, and now 2160. Eventually we'll have even more absurdly high resolution devices until displays are replaced with neural uplinks or whatever Shadowrun-esque poo poo we start integrating in to people.

Most non-tech savvy/nerd people still can't quickly tell the difference betwen 720p and 1080p unless they're sitting really drat close to their TVs.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

final fantasy 7-9 (okay, maybe just 9 if you don't have nostalgia goggles),

:lol:

FF9 might look 'better' but you're crazy if you think nostalgia goggles don't apply to FF9 of all games.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

This reply is for a post from like 3 days ago but the Gamer's Club Unlock thing Best Buy has is 20% all preorders/new games. When they say new they mean "not used". Amazon's is preorders and 2 weeks of release only. So you can wait to pick up a game when it lowers price and still get the discount. Or goes out of print with it's first print run bonus like BoI did. You can still get the discount at BB!

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Loved traveling all weekend with my Switch. Was able to play some Zelda in bed and Binding of Isaac while I pooped.

Oh and Turf Masters outside.

I also did non-Switch things but it's awesome to have during downtime.

I also caved and got the archer link amiibo.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The thing with higher resolution TVs is that at 8K and above unless you have some stupidly large screen sizes there really won't be a difference picture wise. In fact at the typical distance from a TV and typical size of TV purchased the vast majority of 4K displays are a waste and it's just idiot nerds thinking they're eyes are special and can totally tell the difference

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

hey how come botw's lock on system is less functional than the one in oot in terms of quickly switching enemies while also choosing to retain the lack of a dodge when outside of lock on?

it kinda sucks to lose dodge when not locked on in botw imo

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Yeah that is kind of a huge pain. Has definitely screwed me over more than a few times. Each time I forget it's not my fault.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

bowmore posted:

I'll p on you until you get it

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I'm a master at getting free, or half off gamefly monthly subscriptions. Gonna be renting that lego police game and puyo tetris. But Mario Kart 8 is an instabuy, no questions asked.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
The Switch is super chill and I don't regret my purchase. I can bring it to the bar and play it outside in light spring rain while my friends finish smoking. Tonight I played Graceful Explosion Machine and beat a couple levels. Which was surprising...I'm terrible at that game.

Then I broke it apart and put it back in my purse. The screen part fits in the front pocket where I sometimes put my phone or keys.
It would be kinda cool if they made a hard plastic case just for a joycon, so you could let it rattle around in your bag or whatever. As a system it's very exciting.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

get a sleeve or case for sunglasses at the phramacy for 2.99 and put the joycons in it

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Beastie posted:

Yeah that is kind of a huge pain. Has definitely screwed me over more than a few times. Each time I forget it's not my fault.

My BotW combat strategy is primarily run away and drop a bomb behind me so that hasn't been too much of a problem.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Bass Bottles posted:

Don't lick the cart

Watch me

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib

Real hurthling! posted:

get a sleeve or case for sunglasses at the phramacy for 2.99 and put the joycons in it

No too big. If you put one on top of the other or side-by-side, it's like the size of a deck of cards. A little plastic case would be cool.
I guess in the short term a soft case for glasses might be an option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Pakistani politics posted:

No too big. If you put one on top of the other or side-by-side, it's like the size of a deck of cards. A little plastic case would be cool.
I guess in the short term a soft case for glasses might be an option.

then you want a collectible card case. like what mtg people keep their decks in. they are like sturdy plastic cigarette boxes available in various depths for practically nothing

• Locked thread