Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Yeah I decided to devote an afternoon to setting up my RetroPi. After 30 minutes or so I was like "oh. Well, what to do with the rest of the day?"

Took significantly longer to get my 8bitdo Bluetooth controller working but completely worth it to have a portable NES/SNES/Genesis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

MarcusSA posted:

This right here pretty much sums up why I like the NES mini and the idea of devices like it.

Sometimes is can be cool to dick around with stuff but I like being able to just sit down hit a button and it works.

Raspberry Pi emulation is for people who enjoy tinkering or are building custom devices, many other NES emulators will run on even poo poo-tier computers and require pretty much no fiddling.

I'd be more interested in an NES classic or Famicom mini if it was an fpga device or something, but between phones, computers, tablets, etc., I bet most people are set on no effort emulator devices that can plug into a TV.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

azurite posted:

They sell them in batches from Video Game Perfection.

Yeah, it doesn't take S-video. It outputs DVI, which can be easily converted to HDMI (I use a cable). Out of the box, audio is separate and stays analog. You can buy a kit to merge the audio, but I don't think you can get it pre-installed. My TV accepts separate audio sources, so I don't really need it.

I'm well aware that DVI can be easily converted to HDMI, but like I just said I need the audio to be integrated and that isn't easily converted. What part about what I said made you think you needed to explain DVI to me?

My question was "which s-video converter should I get" so apparently that goon is just a jerk because that's my requirement. Something that doesn't take s-video will not work.

I'm going to just buy some lovely converter off amazon unless anybody has any advise.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Sorry about that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

azurite posted:

Sorry about that.

Sokay. Guess I'll just go with the cheapo converter box for now. I'm still not ready for full on RGB/SCART madness :retrogames:

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Wouldn't an svideo to hdmi converter avoid the problems of cheap rgb converters since it's 480i not 240p?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RodShaft posted:

Wouldn't an svideo to hdmi converter avoid the problems of cheap rgb converters since it's 480i not 240p?

S-Video out of a "240p" system is still "240p".

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

I thought there might be some internal scaling or something to make it a more standard format before it goes out in svideo. I thought the problem with cheap scart to hdmi scalers was they thought the 240p signal was 480i making weird effects when sprites flicker.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RodShaft posted:

I thought there might be some internal scaling or something to make it a more standard format before it goes out in svideo. I thought the problem with cheap scart to hdmi scalers was they thought the 240p signal was 480i making weird effects when sprites flicker.

No, S-video on a system that has S-video output normally is just the same signal except that the chroma and luma don't get combined before going to the outside world.

Some modifications to add S-video to a system that normally doesn't do anything but composite or RF might also clean up the signal first, but the mod in question would specifically advertise that.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone happen to know whether any old DVI-HDMI cable will let me pass Audio from OSSC to my TV or does it need to be some special kind of DVI-HDMI cable? I'm reading reports that the DVI connection will pass audio if you have the audio option installed. Mine is being prepped and shipped end of April so I'd love to have a cable already.

Essentially looking at this: https://www.amazon.ca/Cable-Rankie-Rated-Speed-Bi-Directional/dp/B00YOSA85Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492308409&sr=8-1&keywords=dvi-hdmi

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
What is the best way to connect a Pi 3 running RetroPie to a CRT with component inputs?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm at the end of my wits with my Retropie. I had a very basic setup for NES and SNES games where I just had a scanline overlay, no shaders, and I was quite happy with how it looked. Then I updated the Retropie to the latest version and my overlays are gone, as in, the .cfg and .png files aren't even in the directory anymore. A fresh install (to a different MicroSD) confirmed that the overlays folder is empty by default. A bit of googling pointed me to this GitHub with overlay files, which look like the ones the Pie had before - I placed them in the right directory, made sure to enable and select overlays in the config files, but still nothing. Anyone know what might be going on there?

I officially spend far more time loving around with this thing than ever playing games on it. I suspect that's the true main mode of interaction.

When updating mine it appeared to destroy the file system because I removed the symbolic link for one the rom folders and replaced it with an actual folder. It was set up correctly, but whatever script did the updates just absolutely trashed everything to the point it wouldn't boot.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I mean, at this point I'd be okay just knowing why overlays won't work on a fresh install. I don't mind setting it up again as mine was pretty barebones to begin with. Guess I'll just follow a tutorial, I probably missed something.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So I've been playing Zelda: Spirit Tracks slowly lately and goddamned is it terrible. The train navigation is miserable, the control scheme that was already weak in Phantom Hourglass becomes downright unpleasant, and the dungeons are just plain boring with pretty much no creativity in the puzzles. This isn't even bad for a Zelda game, it's just plain bad. I guess there's a reason why this is the Zelda game that everyone forgot about pretty much right after it came out.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Spirit Tracks is the only Zelda game I've played that I could find little to no redeeming factors. By contrast I kind of like Skyward Sword and Phantom Hourglass just fine despite both being very flawed, but Spirit Tracks made me actively angry.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Both the DS Zelda games are pretty crap. A huge part of it is the insane control system. I think if you had normal controls instead of the awful touch stuff it would be more tolerable. But my god that train combat in Spirit Tracks is just awful. I love the idea of that world but the implementation of it is just heavily flawed.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Random Stranger posted:

So I've been playing Zelda: Spirit Tracks slowly lately and goddamned is it terrible. The train navigation is miserable, the control scheme that was already weak in Phantom Hourglass becomes downright unpleasant, and the dungeons are just plain boring with pretty much no creativity in the puzzles. This isn't even bad for a Zelda game, it's just plain bad. I guess there's a reason why this is the Zelda game that everyone forgot about pretty much right after it came out.
Welp I was going to be playing the two DS games for the first time after I finish my current re-play of Link to the Past.... I guess I'd better set my expectations accordingly.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
I like Phantom Hourglass. :911:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Xenomrph posted:

Welp I was going to be playing the two DS games for the first time after I finish my current re-play of Link to the Past.... I guess I'd better set my expectations accordingly.

Phantom Hourglass has some serious problems that turned me off playing Spirit Tracks when it was released but it did have some very creative puzzle design including the single most meta puzzle in the series. Spirit Tracks has most of the problems of Hourglass, and then everything it brings to the table is just broken. For example, you can upgrade train components by collecting treasures in the game. But the upgrades don't become available until you're pretty far into the game and the treasures are partially randomized with a system where you're supposed to trade with other players. I had unlocked the final quarter of the map before I had collected enough of the right kinds of treasures to get any upgrade.

worthless. posted:

Oh, so you're the one!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

What is the best way to connect a Pi 3 running RetroPie to a CRT with component inputs?

You'd need an HDMI to component convertor, that's the only way to do it. You could try converting the composite video output to component, but that'd be pointless.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I feel like 75% of my problems with Spirit Tracks would be solved if navigating the overworld was not such a loving chore. Who honestly thought that "warp system" was anywhere close to an acceptable solution? Or the trains of instant death harassing you at every turn?

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

Nate RFB posted:

I feel like 75% of my problems with Spirit Tracks would be solved if navigating the overworld was not such a loving chore. Who honestly thought that "warp system" was anywhere close to an acceptable solution? Or the trains of instant death harassing you at every turn?

I liked the warp system because it felt cool to go out and explore the sea and find the warp spots, and then writing the little note on the map. The map notes were probably my favorite part of the game.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

fishmech posted:

No, S-video on a system that has S-video output normally is just the same signal except that the chroma and luma don't get combined before going to the outside world.

Some modifications to add S-video to a system that normally doesn't do anything but composite or RF might also clean up the signal first, but the mod in question would specifically advertise that.

Not to belabor this, but then why would some modern tvs be able to accept composite(which I believe is 480i) but not rgb scart transcoded to component?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RodShaft posted:

Not to belabor this, but then why would some modern tvs be able to accept composite(which I believe is 480i) but not rgb scart transcoded to component?

All of these systems are putting out 480i or 576i signals (depending on original country). "240p" is a slang term for how most of the old ones don't really do it correctly, and really only generate half the lines or so i.e. making one field and usually displaying it twice in a row rather than one complete frame of two fields, and usually also have a bit of an off-timing which older TVs could usually cope with but which newer devices may not be tested against. On some systems, fully compliant 480i/576i signals are generated by the consoles, but from what could be called "240p" source material, and in certain scaling situations working from that looks better.

When you start dealing with adding RGB SCART stuff to consoles that didn't originally have it and then converting the RGB to YPbPr component, the total chain of modifications and conversions can introduce enough error in timing or other information that the TV will refuse to handle it. Meanwhile the plain unmodified composite video is less sensitive to that sort of problem, and the TV will still display it even if it ends up looking crappy.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

worthless. posted:

Me too

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
I liked Phantom Hourglass a lot except for the stupid timed dungeon you have to keep coming back to after each real dungeon. It made me never finish that game :(

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
The vs. mode in Phantom Hourglass was pretty cool. RIP Wi-fi Connection. At least local still works!

I ran into one person on there who absolutely destroyed me and I couldn't decide whether they were really good or the game design was fundamentally flawed/solved, or what precisely I was missing, but it was still fun.

The central dungeon is less tedious than I anticipated but that dread is very real. There are shortcuts you can open that help things, but still.

I liked it, but it's not super memorable and I don't feel much of an urge to revisit it ever.

Dr. Dos
Aug 5, 2005

YAAAAAAAY!
Is there a good either video or article out there that goes into what the Sega Genesis could do technically and the sort of things developers came up with to get around its limitations?

I just got done watching this neat demo video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeGdJk5zb6c

and realize that while I know a reasonable amount of stuff about NES/SNES hardware, I basically don't know a thing about the Genesis.

Ideally something like the ultimate game boy talk is what I'm looking for.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

fishmech posted:

You'd need an HDMI to component convertor, that's the only way to do it. You could try converting the composite video output to component, but that'd be pointless.

Hm, don't those converter boxes introduce lag though?

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Dr. Dos posted:

Is there a good either video or article out there that goes into what the Sega Genesis could do technically and the sort of things developers came up with to get around its limitations?

I just got done watching this neat demo video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeGdJk5zb6c

and realize that while I know a reasonable amount of stuff about NES/SNES hardware, I basically don't know a thing about the Genesis.

Ideally something like the ultimate game boy talk is what I'm looking for.

Holy smokes! Now that's blast processing!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Hm, don't those converter boxes introduce lag though?

Yeah, as do the emulators you'd be running on a Pi in the first place. You should really just run it directly to an HDMI monitor/TV, it'll work best that way.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have an amazon svideo to hdmi upscale and it's pretty decent for the money. I timed it out with 240p test suite on my dreamcast and the best I could tell was it added a few milliseconds of lag, nothing serious at all unless you're already on a laggy setup and those extra couple ms will break the camels back.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I found a Coleco Telstar Alpha I forgot I had in the garage and went to youtube to see what it plays like, found a video of a large man wearing a naruto headband reviewing one, enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wonsg3SIwdw

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

fishmech posted:

Yeah, as do the emulators you'd be running on a Pi in the first place. You should really just run it directly to an HDMI monitor/TV, it'll work best that way.

drat. I have my small but growing collection of retro stuff hooked up to a CRT, and was going to use my RPi3 as a cheap stand-in for a SNES until I find my old one/buy a new one.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

drat. I have my small but growing collection of retro stuff hooked up to a CRT, and was going to use my RPi3 as a cheap stand-in for a SNES until I find my old one/buy a new one.

Well that will depend on the games. Even the worst lag is fine for the many great RPG titles on the system. Super Mario World is also pretty generous. So it'll be a case by case basis.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Does anyone know where to get a SwinSID Nano?

Googling just leads me to long dead web stores.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I have an amazon svideo to hdmi upscale and it's pretty decent for the money. I timed it out with 240p test suite on my dreamcast and the best I could tell was it added a few milliseconds of lag, nothing serious at all unless you're already on a laggy setup and those extra couple ms will break the camels back.

Can you test it to see if it has the interlace/deinterlace problems shown at about 9 minutes into this video?

Edit:
https://youtu.be/lHoOKLWIMKU

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 17, 2017

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

RodShaft posted:

Can you test it to see if it has the interlace/deinterlace problems shown at about 9 minutes into this video?

Into what video

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Into what video

My bad. Stupid phone posts.

https://youtu.be/lHoOKLWIMKU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Not that I have ever seen. Mine looks very normal.

• Locked thread