Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Calaveron posted:

Why were they so mean to Lilith. She was never nothing but polite, if a bit cold but that was mostly in response to Frasier, Niles, and Martin being mean to her

I mean, TBF to Frasier, she did kind of gently caress with his life by cheating on him with some french rear end in a top hat driving him to the ledge of a building, ready to jump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Alton Brown has returned to his natural habitat: Iron Chef America. I missed Iron Chef and wish someone would air the original so I could just take in all the awesome Japanese food.

edit: also, my culinary crush Stephanie Izard is killing it and is going to be Iron Chef Chicago and it's gonna be awesome.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Apr 17, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

They still make Iron Chef America? I thought Food Network had made it obsolete years ago by filling the rest of its schedule with lovely cooking gameshows.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

raditts posted:

They still make Iron Chef America? I thought Food Network had made it obsolete years ago by filling the rest of its schedule with lovely cooking gameshows.

they did, but they're bringing it back because I assume Alton Brown works Iron Chef into his contract every time it's up because he loves it so much. This time is better because if you want you can ignore the competition for the first five weeks and just watch three episodes of one brave chef going up against the three best Iron Chefs that Food Network has to offer (Symon, Flay, and Morimoto).

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Did they keep the stupid "first plate" thing?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Leftovers is back. Off to a good start.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don't post that stuff in here c'mon man

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Escobarbarian posted:

Don't post that stuff in here c'mon man

Agreed. I haven't gotten to watch it yet.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

DC Murderverse posted:

they did, but they're bringing it back because I assume Alton Brown works Iron Chef into his contract every time it's up because he loves it so much. This time is better because if you want you can ignore the competition for the first five weeks and just watch three episodes of one brave chef going up against the three best Iron Chefs that Food Network has to offer (Symon, Flay, and Morimoto).

Wait, it's not a challenger going up against the iron chefs every episode? Did food network gently caress up the concept that badly?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
If you lose, you're executed offscreen with a wire garrote.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mu Zeta posted:

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/H1fYGcB.jpg
gently caress
You

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Mu Zeta posted:

Man, I'm not even squeamish about spoilers but this is a dick move.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Finally caught the fifth Hap and Leonard episode. While the investigation part was funny, the reveal of the murderer was just super :smith:. Jesus, I teared up over TJ. 'Where'd his face go?'

I said it before, lots of tv doesn't surprise me or affect me emotionally but at least once an episode I am left stunned or moved and it sucks it's on Sundance cause I feel like it's the greatest show nobody's watching.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Vanderdeath posted:

Come on it's the Leftovers, if the main character being in an undefined and contextless shocking situation constitutes a spoiler to you then you might as well stop watching now because that's the show.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

MiddleOne posted:

Come on it's the Leftovers, if the main character being in an undefined and contextless shocking situation constitutes a spoiler to you then you might as well stop watching now because that's the show.

It's not context-less you idiot. A shitload of blood splatter on a person and police cruiser and a shocked expression is a loving opposite of context-less.

And after having watched the episode just now I can safely say that the loving image altered my experience during that scene.

Hakkesshu posted:

hey please don't be the big dick arbiter of what you think is a spoiler or not

You just arbitrated.

Edit: vvv Bullshit.

Longbaugh01 fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Apr 17, 2017

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Josh Lyman posted:

gently caress
You

What do you even think you're seeing? You realize he's been killed like 4 times already in previous seasons. A little blood means nothing.

Vanderdeath posted:

It's a screenshot of a guy covered in blood. It doesn't tell you anything.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Apr 17, 2017

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

hey please don't be the big dick arbiter of what you think is a spoiler or not, just maybe don't post out of context screenshots in the first place. it's not funny or insightful and it doesn't lead to any worthwhile discussion

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Apr 17, 2017

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It's not even blood, it's strawberry sauce. Beardo fell on a giant cheesecake covered with strawberry sauce made quite the mess!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Leviathan posted:

There's an Italian series called Gomorra that's pretty incredible, especially if you're a Wire/Sopranos fan. Just watched the first two seasons in the course of a week.

I've been thinking of watching this thing forever, thanks for reminding me. Is it on Amazon or Hulu?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
My god I just finished Slings And Arrows for the first time. It's so, so good -- the King Lear season in particular. Absolutely amazing. For those of you who haven't had the pleasure, it's a Canadian comedy/drama about a theatre trying to put on various Shakespeare plays, and the difficulties involved. Each season focuses on a different Shakespeare, and part of the difficulty involved in mounting the production lies in the events behind the scenes beginning to mirror the events in the actual plays. Which should be a recipe for high fructose corn syrup, but it ends up not being at all.

The entire thing is so gentle and funny for the most part, but then the final season just really rakes the entire cast through it -- but the thing that really gets me is how grounded and realistic it is. Despite having supernatural elements it's never particularly genre, and despite being a drama It's never melodramatic. Even when it's funny all the characters are themselves first, and joke machines second -- except for the two comic relief characters, who both turn out to be deeply unbalanced people.

It's so, so good, and I think it's crazy that no-one really talks about it. I mean, you see it turn up in the occasional top ten lists, and critics like Sepinwall and Nussbaum talk really highly of it when it does come up. David Simon, who made The Wire, talked about how much he admired the show (and you can see it shares many of his sensibilities, if a completely different subject matter). Hell, Todd Vanderwerff did a whole big retrospective for the Av Club about five years back, back when the Av Club was a respectable name and had the content and coverage to back that name. But I don't think I've ever seen a show fall into complete obscurity so, so quickly.

It's really very good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I definitely want to get round to Slings and Arrows eventually. Thanks for the reminder.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Hey Mu Zeta I watched the premiere and yeah posting that image definitely affected the scene it was in plz don't do that in future thanks

edit: oh yeah also this show is still GOAT-level

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 17, 2017

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Hey Mu Zeta I watched the premiere and yeah posting that image definitely affected the scene it was in plz don't do that in future thanks

edit: oh yeah also this show is still GOAT-level

Thought the second season got too overwrought, but I'm liking the third season so far. It's makes alot of sense from what's happened before.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

hey please don't be the big dick arbiter of what you think is a spoiler or not, just maybe don't post out of context screenshots in the first place. it's not funny or insightful and it doesn't lead to any worthwhile discussion

I disagree, it is quite funny.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Open Source Idiom posted:

My god I just finished Slings And Arrows for the first time. It's so, so good -- the King Lear season in particular. Absolutely amazing. For those of you who haven't had the pleasure, it's a Canadian comedy/drama about a theatre trying to put on various Shakespeare plays, and the difficulties involved. Each season focuses on a different Shakespeare, and part of the difficulty involved in mounting the production lies in the events behind the scenes beginning to mirror the events in the actual plays. Which should be a recipe for high fructose corn syrup, but it ends up not being at all.

The entire thing is so gentle and funny for the most part, but then the final season just really rakes the entire cast through it -- but the thing that really gets me is how grounded and realistic it is. Despite having supernatural elements it's never particularly genre, and despite being a drama It's never melodramatic. Even when it's funny all the characters are themselves first, and joke machines second -- except for the two comic relief characters, who both turn out to be deeply unbalanced people.

It's so, so good, and I think it's crazy that no-one really talks about it. I mean, you see it turn up in the occasional top ten lists, and critics like Sepinwall and Nussbaum talk really highly of it when it does come up. David Simon, who made The Wire, talked about how much he admired the show (and you can see it shares many of his sensibilities, if a completely different subject matter). Hell, Todd Vanderwerff did a whole big retrospective for the Av Club about five years back, back when the Av Club was a respectable name and had the content and coverage to back that name. But I don't think I've ever seen a show fall into complete obscurity so, so quickly.

It's really very good.

Definitely agree, I watched the whole series years ago and really enjoyed it.

Bonus points for probably being the last small Canadian production Rachel McAdams did before getting famous.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Leviathan posted:

There's an Italian series called Gomorra that's pretty incredible, especially if you're a Wire/Sopranos fan. Just watched the first two seasons in the course of a week.

Shageletic posted:

I've been thinking of watching this thing forever, thanks for reminding me. Is it on Amazon or Hulu?

Same, since I keep hearing it's one of the greatest things ever.

Dunno about Hulu, but it's on Amazon, though not free with Prime.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 17, 2017

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Patriot is an incredible show for a lot of reasons, but how exhausted and miserable Michael Dorman looks all the time really sells the show imo. I'm glad I decided to start watching this on a whim.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I have that drat "Cheer up, Hamlet" song stuck in my head now. Slings and Arrows was the best.

There's also a Brazilian adaptation of the show called Som e Furia but I don't know if it's any good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACopqMQLNhY

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

fadam posted:

Patriot is an incredible show for a lot of reasons, but how exhausted and miserable Michael Dorman looks all the time really sells the show imo. I'm glad I decided to start watching this on a whim.

Yeah, he just gets worn down by the constant stream of poo poo flowing his way.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Hughmoris posted:

Yeah, he just gets worn down by the constant stream of poo poo flowing his way.

Also he was capture and tortured for like, weeks about 2 months before the show starts. Specifically, he was subjected to what's called "White Torture", which is an application of isolation and sensory deprivation.

Snak fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Apr 18, 2017

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Snak posted:

Also he was capture and tortured for like, weeks about 2 months before the show starts.

Why don't you see more male hotel maids in other countries?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Hughmoris posted:

Why don't you see more male hotel maids in other countries?

It's so good.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

JFC I have so much TV to catch up on.

4 episodes of The Magicians
5 episodes of The Expanse
5 episodes of Legion
6 episodes of The Americans

And of course the season premiere of The Leftovers.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Your Pretty Face has been back for a couple of weeks now and it's kind of weird how they've just slotted Claude back in to the mix with no mention of him ever being gone for like an entire season.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Outcast has been enjoyable this season and Fargo starts tomorrow.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

muscles like this! posted:

Your Pretty Face has been back for a couple of weeks now and it's kind of weird how they've just slotted Claude back in to the mix with no mention of him ever being gone for like an entire season.

Yeah, I thought that was odd as well. I wonder if season 3 is being aired out of order or something.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Been binging Veep. I love the fact that everyone shits on everyone else as soon as they get even the slightest leverage.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I wasn't super into the first episode of the new MST3k but good lord was Cry Wilderness such a leap in quality. I watched it last night and I spent most of today still remembering and giggling at random lines throughout the day.

Bang!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

raditts posted:

Wait, it's not a challenger going up against the iron chefs every episode? Did food network gently caress up the concept that badly?

It's 7 chefs competing over five weeks to be the one person to face "the gauntlet", which is just Flay/Symon/Morimoto in a row. I'm not sure what will happen if they lose against the first person in the gauntlet, but I'm sure Food Network has thought that through.

Or not. This is the network that has a show about professional chefs going up against "cons" and it's not called "Pros vs. Cons" (though the baking spinoff is called "Bakers vs. Fakers", and their new show about getting better ratings on a certain website is called "Help My Yelp" so they clearly understand the concept of rhyming).

Hughmoris posted:

Been binging Veep. I love the fact that everyone shits on everyone else as soon as they get even the slightest leverage.

there's a reason people in Washington say it's the most accurate depiction of government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Pro doesn't rhyme with con though. I mean yeah it makes more sense, but it doesn't rhyme.

Maybe you meant alliteration? Bakers/Fakers and Help/Yelp also have alliteration, but pro/con do not. So I'm not sure what combination of rhyming or not would actually fit your weird problem with the name of the show. My problem with it is that it's a dumb show.

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 18, 2017

• Locked thread