Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I just noticed.

This card is rude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

I just noticed.

This card is rude.

I want to alter that man to look like doctor Daniel Dao

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That's some soft rock.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mandatory lesbian posted:

so why doesn't this work the same way for Auras? they fall off, despite having resolved

Because abilities only care about the legality of the target at the time of resolution.

This card wouldn't work otherwise, as it gives the land the quality that restricts its targeting. It already barely does anything as is!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Siivola posted:

That's some soft rock.

It must be sandstone.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

I just noticed.

This card is rude.

i kinda like pacifism with minor upside for the creature better then regular pacifism, i think it's more interesting

also gives upside to the one pacifying if they have enchantment recusion for if the opponent goes thru with it

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mandatory lesbian posted:

i kinda like pacifism with minor upside for the creature better then regular pacifism, i think it's more interesting

also gives upside to the one pacifying if they have enchantment recusion for if the opponent goes thru with it

Pacifism would've been particularly effective against embalm. This is a way of sidestepping that upside, whilst still keeping the removal spell efficient.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I've playtested a couple of hundred games and the deck that feels the best is this brand newfangled brew that I call "Mardu Vehicles".......

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

mcmagic posted:

I've playtested a couple of hundred games and the deck that feels the best is this brand newfangled brew that I call "Mardu Vehicles".......

Why is your ellipsis 7 periods long

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

mcmagic posted:

If Cat gets banned and nothing else, is there a R/B/X control deck that can actually answer Mardu's threats and present a better late game than Mardu's gameplan of "play a bunch of hyper-efficient, removal-resistant threats, then play a bunch of game-ending four drop planeswalkers"?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Hellsau posted:

If Cat gets banned and nothing else, is there a R/B/X control deck that can actually answer Mardu's threats and present a better late game than Mardu's gameplan of "play a bunch of hyper-efficient, removal-resistant threats, then play a bunch of game-ending four drop planeswalkers"?

Isn't that just post-sideboard Mardu Vehicles?

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Personally, I'm shocked.

Actually, serious question: is there any hope of a decent, cycling based control deck? A lot of the cards seem to have potential, but I haven't played standard in a while, so my ability to evaluate stuff is not really well calibrated.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

ShadeofBlue posted:

Personally, I'm shocked.

Actually, serious question: is there any hope of a decent, cycling based control deck? A lot of the cards seem to have potential, but I haven't played standard in a while, so my ability to evaluate stuff is not really well calibrated.

No.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

ShadeofBlue posted:

Personally, I'm shocked.

The land of two mana 4/4 fliers that dodge most removal and colorless fireball on a stick is not a land friendly to control

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 17, 2017

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I just bought into a several Heart of Kirans, so I assume they are getting banned along with cat. Then we can look forward to G/B dominating the field.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Hellsau posted:

Didn't the G/B decks have a decent mardu matchup but just get pushed out by the Saheeli value decks?

ShadeofBlue posted:

Personally, I'm shocked.

Like every other interesting mechanic that isn't attached to a bunch of mythics, no way.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

It's good to see we're still on the "Cards are DEFINITELY getting banned out of standard at the next b&r announcement" topic.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

It's good to see we're still on the "Cards are DEFINITELY getting banned out of standard at the next b&r announcement" topic.

I mean, they probably are

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
I freely admit that I don't play standard; but just to be clear, wouldn't a UW control deck theoretically have access to fragmentize to deal with Heart of Kiran?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

InterrupterJones posted:

I freely admit that I don't play standard; but just to be clear, wouldn't a UW control deck theoretically have access to fragmentize to deal with Heart of Kiran?

It's been in sideboards for a while, the problem is you can't really maindeck it because it does nothing against GB.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Ahtmonkey does have Dissenter's Deliverance, Manglehorn, and Forsake the Worldly, but doubt that's enough for Heart of Kiran.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I feel like at this point they've resolved to wait until the pro tour to see if Amonkhet fixes any of the format's problems and if it doesn't we'll probably get like a Felidar Guardian and Gideon ban or something. R&D won't know anything about Standard next week that they didn't already know five weeks ago when they decided not to ban anything, as lame as their excuses were at the time.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

InterrupterJones posted:

Traditionally, playing a narrow hate card to deal with a very quick clock that doesn't die to the rest of your removal has not been a good plan. Think of it this way: control decks already need their answers to line up properly with the threats that the opponent plays, and usually have a hard time winning when that doesn't happen, even in more control friendly environments. When you add more narrow hate cards to your control deck, you make it harder for your answers to line up with their threats. This is why control decks love flexible cards like Azorius Charm. Against a deck like Mardu Vehicles, Fragmentize might be a necessary evil to beat Heart of Kiran, although if that's true then I don't like UW's chances overall. It takes the place of a more flexible removal spell, meaning that you are weakening yourself against their non-Heart of Kiran draws. Maindecking Fragmentize is obviously a disaster against decks that don't have any relevant targets.

None of this is to say that it's a bad plan to play Fragmentize against Mardu Control, it's just that if UW needs to do that to have a chance to win, it points to a serious power imbalance/a lack of the type of cards, in the format, that UW would prefer to play.

Of course, against a deck with a ton of targets, Fragmentize becomes less narrow, and more of a card that you are actually happy playing with, rather than a necessary evil. I'm pretty sure Mardu vehicles doesn't play many (or any?) other targets that Fragmentize actually deals with, permanently, though.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Just play fatal push as your 1-mana heart of kiran answer imo

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Count Bleck posted:

I just noticed.

This card is rude.

the united airlines invitational card

I wonder how many times that joke has been made.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Procrastinator posted:

I wonder how many times that joke has been made.

:regd08: +1 times

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify
At least it wasn't a fatal push.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Procrastinator posted:

:drat:

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Count Bleck posted:

I just noticed.

This card is rude.

i love this card because it lets your opponent pay mana and sacrifice their best creature for a measley 2 life

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

It's actually a meaningful downside in this limited format compared to Pacifism because it gives them a way to dump their creature in the graveyard if they don't otherwise have a sac outlet. That's pretty relevant in a format with effects like Embalm.

The 2 life is basically just there to make the card more straightforward to read. If it gave you nothing for sacrificing your creature, players would ask why you'd ever want to do that.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

ShadeofBlue posted:

Of course, against a deck with a ton of targets, Fragmentize becomes less narrow, and more of a card that you are actually happy playing with, rather than a necessary evil. I'm pretty sure Mardu vehicles doesn't play many (or any?) other targets that Fragmentize actually deals with, permanently, though.
Going by GP Porto Allegre, pretty much all decks run some (but not all) of the following: Hearts, Ballistas or Towers. Mardu for example might run four Hearts and two Ballistas.

How do you feel about the new card Dispossess? It exiles all Hearts not already on the battlefield, but it costs 2B.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Spending your entire turn three not affecting the board, in the hopes of answering your opponents 2-mana card if they haven't played it yet? I can see how that would be helpful.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Well when you put it that way.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

green white cats is a surprisingly steady draft archetype for this set, especially if you can get Regal Caracal, which looks like one of the best limited bombs we've seen in a long time. they curve well and all cats provide value for playing them. white seems like a really good color this limited because you can mainboard answer cards that may typically see sideboard usage (like Forsake The Worldly, 2W Instant exile target artifact or enchantment) because cycling gives you something else to do with it (this card for example has cycling).

also guys dont sleep on Stinging Shot for limited. G to kill basically any flyer in the set at instant speed or the option to cycle it for 2 is just bonkers. there are a fair amount of flyers sitting around in this set, so this card will possibly wind up more relevant than it appears to.

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Apr 17, 2017

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Siivola posted:

Going by GP Porto Allegre, pretty much all decks run some (but not all) of the following: Hearts, Ballistas or Towers. Mardu for example might run four Hearts and two Ballistas.

How do you feel about the new card Dispossess? It exiles all Hearts not already on the battlefield, but it costs 2B.

In general cards like this are only worth playing against decks that need some specific card to function, which doesn't describe Mardu Vehicles.

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

did we ever determine how new perspectives works? is the discard of the cycling card part of the cycling cost?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Cycling is the action of discarding and then drawing, all done at once. Its mana cost is the cost referred to in New Perspectives.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So essentially, when you have a keyworded ability that looks like "Keyword {cost}", the "{keyword} cost" is the bit written next to the keyword. Any additional costs that are "baked in" to the keyword don't count as part of that. So the "cycling cost" for a card is the (usually mana) cost listed for cycling it - discarding the card itself, even though it's one of the costs to activate the cycling ability, is not part of the cycling cost.

It's the same rule, incidentally, that makes it so Varolz + Memnite doesn't turn into an arbitrarily large number of +1/+1 counters.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ShadeofBlue posted:

Personally, I'm shocked.

I think there are some cycling cards that are good in control shells like Censor and Cast out but I don't think you want to be playing cards JUST because they cycle. Drake Haven seems unimpressisve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Siivola posted:

This type of effect has been printed countless times. It is only good when it removes a decks ability to execute its regular gameplan, when the deck also doesn't have a plan B. Even if it were good vs a top tier deck, histroy has shown those decks will just diversify their threats if a card like this is good against them. Good examples are Splinter Twin boarding into Inferno Titans back in the day, or any deck with a transformational sideboard plan.

Also as far as ban chat goes, I expect Cat to eat a ban before the PT. I don't watch them but it is already THE deck to beat online, I don't think they want a second PT dominated by it. Heart of Kiran seems safe, printing it with Legendary and high crew cost help keep it in line. There's no obvious way to ban a card from the deck that makes sense, it's just synergistic good cards, but if anything, Gideon. Once Cat is out of the way the format should open up to let bigger decks in.

• Locked thread