Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The truck farmer one is also great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Home Economics Story is my favorite. "Kegs will be tapped, men will be used."

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The one where a squealy girl's brother brings home his dorky classmate and they all learn about the joys of electric home appliances always cracks me up.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
The freezer short is my favorite.

Gentlemen, please. "You filthy degenerates."

That thing is like seared into my brain.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I watched RoboCop again for Easter and I was surprised how handsome pre-murder Murphy was. Young Peter Weller was pretty hot.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Mr B Natural is the best MST3K short

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Samuel Clemens posted:

I have to admit, I never managed to get into MST3K. The few episodes I watched all felt too meandering, with jokes being stretched too thin across 90 minutes.

Maybe I should give it another chance. Are there any episodes in particular that really highlight what the show was capable of?

Eegah, Gunslinger, The Dead Talk Back, Zombie Nightmare, Danger!! Death Ray, Racket Girls, Jack Frost, The Final Sacrifice, and Girl in Gold Boots are all perfect episodes and available on DVD/streaming.

Any of the shorts, though, are gold. Once Upon a Honeymoon is one of the best. "Hmm, what rhymes with blue balls?"

One of the arguments against MST3K has been the fact they "corrupted" films, but even as much of a purist I am with films... does anyone really want to watch The Creeping Terror or Puma Man on their own?

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Apr 17, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

K. Waste posted:

Taxi is literally the only Jafar Panahi I've seen, but everything he's done looks extremely my poo poo.

Offside is fantastic, watch it asap

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

glam rock hamhock posted:

Mr B Natural is the best MST3K short

NOOOOO SPRINGS

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I'm Mikey the No Mike Sprite

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Coffee And Pie posted:

Freddie Prinze Jr seems like a sweetheart. I'm glad he's still with Sarah Michelle Geller. Kinda weird kids on this planet only exist bc if I Know What You Did Last Summer but ah well

Courtney Cox and David Arquette started dating, got married, and had a kid after both were in Scream.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
My girlfriend is upset that I said I'd rather watch Battlefield Earth than any of the Wes Anderson movies I've seen, AMA

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I'd be upset if my boyfriend was a scientologist too

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
the pretty girl ya boy met is protestant which explains her immediate attraction to me, martin luther being history's greatest shitposter and all

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Oh cool I saw a guy with a decal on his motorcycle helmet that said "AIDS cures fags." gently caress the Midwest.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Spatulater bro! posted:

Oh cool I saw a guy with a decal on his motorcycle helmet that said "AIDS cures fags." gently caress the Midwest.

Is that his SA username

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Spatulater bro! posted:

Thats when you accidently merge into his lane bro

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

FishBulb posted:

I'd be upset if my boyfriend was a scientologist too

What can I say, Space Rastafarian John Travolta is funnier than anything in the three Wes Anderson movies I've seen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xACbVe7o9Rs

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Courtney Cox and David Arquette started dating, got married, and had a kid after both were in Scream.

Guy Pearce met Carice van Houten (GoT's Melisandre) on the set of Brimstone and while they don't seem to be married, they have a kid together (I think it also led to Pierce divorcing from what IMDB calls "his childhood sweetheart"). Now I imagine most people haven't seen that movie, but I can tell you that it's not the kind of movie where you expect people to get romantically involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci3OHOolzEk

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 17, 2017

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

That's nothing, Christina Hendricks and Geoffrey Arend started dating after he met the actual devil and made a literal deal for his soul.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I dreamt I was trying to explain CD to Orson Welles, I have to get my imagination oil changed.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Took a sick day because I'm hungover and now I'm eating a bfast burrito and watching His Girl Friday

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Slugworth posted:

That's nothing, Christina Hendricks and Geoffrey Arend started dating after he met the actual devil and made a literal deal for his soul.

Is that why they were in that elevator together?

edit: schnozeberries guy and the devil, not Hendricks.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lurdiak posted:

There's a reason Trump had a lower turnout than Romney.

Trump got like two million more votes than Romney did.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Timby posted:

Trump got like two million more votes than Romney did.

yeah but still a smaller percentage of eligible voters.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Turnout in 2016 wasn't significantly out of line with recent elections--it was a bit down from like 08 but up over, like, 1996 or whatever. I think that's right I mostly pieced this together from old sugar packets.

Republicans are really racist and a lost cause. Find votes other places.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Thanks to everyone who recommended me MST3K episodes. That'll keep me busy for a while.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

My girlfriend is upset that I said I'd rather watch Battlefield Earth than any of the Wes Anderson movies I've seen, AMA

Which Wes Anderson films have you seen?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I remember The Get Down being quite well received here, how's season two? Season 1 started out really strong but sort of turned into a hip-hop musical by the end and I'm not quite sure how I feel about that.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Shameful lack of THE HORROR OF PARTY BEACH in those MST3K recommendations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DrVenkman posted:

Shameful lack of THE HORROR OF PARTY BEACH in those MST3K recommendations.

Here's a guy that knows whats up.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

gently caress these movies. gently caress 'em right in the poop hole.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Haha are they showing a better animated cartoon inside of a cartoon movie? :psyduck:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
What am I looking at here? :psyduck:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Safety Factor posted:

What am I looking at here? :psyduck:

if i had to guess just from the context provided, a kinda sad attempt at establishing the "realness" of batman's concept / setting compared to them old-timey cartoons

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

i mean maybe it's not batman, that's just the first thing i think when i see a butler and a kid dressed like he wants to be a ninja

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
So, would a Seven Arts short have been more appropriate?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Oh, great.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

if i had to guess just from the context provided, a kinda sad attempt at establishing the "realness" of batman's concept / setting compared to them old-timey cartoons

I don't think that's quite what they were going for. That kid is the latest Robin, who basically had no childhood, so this is probably just him discovering cartoons for the first time and being like "this violence rules". Unfortunately it has the side effect of showing how stiff and ugly and boring the animation and art direction of the movie is in comparison to a good cartoon.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Coaaab posted:

So, would a Seven Arts short have been more appropriate?

Well, not necessarily. The other thing I thought of was "is there supposed to be a parallel between daffy duck's relationship to the rat mobster and the kid's relationship to the butler?", which could be cool without changing anything about those two shots.

I just didn't think it was likely, because I'm already very negatively predisposed to DC animated films, because every one I've seen has been a massive turd with zero subtlety or self-awareness.

e: Daffy Duck's got a "detective hat" on and that rat is deffo coming off like a criminal

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Samuel Clemens posted:

Which Wes Anderson films have you seen?

Moonrise Kingdom (okay at best)
Royal Tenenbaums (liked it, but can't remember much about it)
The Life Aquatic (I hate it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Lurdiak posted:

I don't think that's quite what they were going for. That kid is the latest Robin, who basically had no childhood, so this is probably just him discovering cartoons for the first time and being like "this violence rules". Unfortunately it has the side effect of showing how stiff and ugly and boring the animation and art direction of the movie is in comparison to a good cartoon.

Oh, don't worry, stiff and ugly is what they're going for. The point is that Alfred turns on the TV, The Great Piggy Bank Robbery is on, and both of them give a plain, rigid, blank stare which... establishes nothing because now it's just two characters watching a cartoon vacantly instead of drawing a contrast between them.

Like, wouldn't that have been refreshing? Alfred turns on a Daffy Duck cartoon, has a chuckle to himself, looks to the child for affirmation, sees just a narrow-eyed little hellion staring back silently, then sighs and leaves quipping something?

In your version, Damian says some really spooky poo poo about, like, being on the side of the rat. This would also be interesting. Interest is death.

• Locked thread