Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

So I'm considering upgrading to Ryzen and apparently I must update to Windows 10 if I want security patches. So.. how bad is Windows 10 when you use current branch for business? Apparently current branch is a yuge mess, but does Microsoft manage to fix the bugs in 4 months or so the business branch gets? Do even security patches break stuff?

I just want to use my computer, not fight with day after day. The year during which M$ tried to force win10 to everyone was already bad enough...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I look after about 90 machines on CBB and haven't had any issues with it in the six months since we made the change. That said, I've had no issues with Home either, and that's probably just due to being in a region where Microsoft doesn't care to advertise and Cortana is turned off.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Ughh. I reset windows to possibly fix the issues Creators update introducesd and now it re-installs all the default apps like Facebook, Candy Crush after each reboot. Help!

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

SinineSiil posted:

Ughh. I reset windows to possibly fix the issues Creators update introducesd and now it re-installs all the default apps like Facebook, Candy Crush after each reboot. Help!

Strictly speaking, it's not installing anything, only the "ad" pointing you to these if you want. This is the Windows 10 Consumer Experience and you can disable it in a flash.

Might've changed in Creators update, but there's no indication of this that I can see.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Jan posted:

Strictly speaking, it's not installing anything, only the "ad" pointing you to these if you want. This is the Windows 10 Consumer Experience and you can disable it in a flash.

Might've changed in Creators update, but there's no indication of this that I can see.

Facebook and Netflix were definitely real apps that came back.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Actuarial Fables posted:

If anyone else is running an Education version - Cortana is now installed and enabled in the Creator's update. Before it wasn't even an option to turn on, due to the fact that showing ads to kids in a school environment is kind of bad. Maybe they've updated it so that it doesn't show sponsored content to Education versions?

If you don't like it, you can set the group policy "Allow Cortana" under "Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>Windows Components>Search" to Disabled. I had to restart my computer for it to take effect; gpupdate /force changed the search bar text, but Cortana was still working.

That's odd, we've been using the Education version of Windows 10 since the initial release, and Cortana has always been installed and enabled by default. I've always had to disable it through group policy. According to this page you're right and it shouldn't have been enabled. :shrug:

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Reset my Windows install to hopefully fix everything:
Speakers still didn't work - figured out they did something to audio enhancements in this update thus breaking my laptop speakers. Disabled now.
Mouse thumb buttons magically work again and hopefully it won't BSOD anymore.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Ihmemies posted:

So I'm considering upgrading to Ryzen and apparently I must update to Windows 10 if I want security patches. So.. how bad is Windows 10 when you use current branch for business? Apparently current branch is a yuge mess, but does Microsoft manage to fix the bugs in 4 months or so the business branch gets? Do even security patches break stuff?

I just want to use my computer, not fight with day after day. The year during which M$ tried to force win10 to everyone was already bad enough...

I think that plain security updates don't usually break stuff, but it's hard to say since they deliver everything in rollups now. If the branch for business is delivering the "feature" updates 4 months later, that will save some aggravation. The worst issues are gone in 1-2 months. (Some linger much longer, but they tend to be things that MS would claim aren't "bugs" like when they broke the DS4 controller compatibility software.)

The thing it, I'm fairly critical of win10's bad update record and even I don't feel like I'm fighting with it every day. It's not a "yuge mess", it's just not great compared to 7 or the later years of 8. The move to crowd-sourced QA from the fast ring has not worked out at all. But even the worst updates are still only screwed up for a few % of people.

Also, the more particular / OCD you are about your computer, the more of a pain it is. I'm hyper controlling about that poo poo and therefore annoyed by things like start menu icons or "features" re-appearing after I told them to gently caress off. If you don't care in the first place you don't even notice.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Same. I like to be in complete control over things that I own, and the re-enabling of "features" I turned off is very annoying.

At least all the stupid things are fixed via relatively simple registry edits.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I'm extremely territorial about my computer and hate anything that installs itself.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Creators update has done a weird thing to my HTPC.

It can no-longer communicate with my NAS via SMB, but it can use SMB with other devices on the network inclusing my other NAS before I retired it. I've kinda bodged it in the meantime by having Kodi talk to it via SFTP.

All my other Win10 machines with the creators update can talk to this NAS no problem.

The NAS is a Buffalo TeraStation III running Samba v3.6.3-31a.osstech on ARM with kernel version 2.6.31.8 on what appears to be a Debian based distro (possibly Stretch)

Hornet
Nov 13, 2007
Gamer
Before the creators update, I was able to change the Documents, Pictures, Music, etc. buttons on the start menu so that they would open to their respective libraries instead of just the specified folder on the C drive.

I did this by going to "%programdata%\microsoft\windows\start menu places" and changing the target of whatever shortcut I wished to change. So, for Documents it would be "%appdata%\microsoft\windows\libraries\Documents.library-ms"

You could even change the names of those shortcuts, and it would be reflected in the start menu. Since the creators update, that doesn't seem to work anymore. Changing the target works, clicking the shortcut will go to the newly set target, but it no longer changes the start menu buttons.
Does anyone know of a new way to do this, or know of a different way to do the same thing?

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Hungry Computer posted:

That's odd, we've been using the Education version of Windows 10 since the initial release, and Cortana has always been installed and enabled by default. I've always had to disable it through group policy. According to this page you're right and it shouldn't have been enabled. :shrug:

The removal of Cortana happened with the Anniversary update, and I was pretty sure that it outright removed the service. I remember looking for a way to enable it so I could sync it with my phone, but I wasn't able to find a way.

Strange that it's been installed and enabled for your machines, though! Maybe there was a way to enable it after all.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Double Punctuation posted:

I tried it, and it seems to be a more subtle effect than Windows Sonic. Whether it's worth $15 or not over Sonic, I'm not sure yet, but you get a month free to test it.
To me, Atmos can render sounds from behind way better than Windows Sonic. And stuff with the LFE channel sound located wrongly with WS. But yeah, the 15 bux aren't too exciting.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

My Logitech G430s don't activate Windows' surround sound thing. Is this because I have the 7.1 stuff enabled already?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
If they present themselves as 7.1 audio device, I'd figure they'd bypass the spatializer for stereo devices/headphones.

Judging images on GIS, the surround magic seems to happen in that USB dongle, because the headphones themselves feature just stereo jacks. If you want to try the new spatializers, plug them in directly into your mainboard's audio device and use that instead.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Ihmemies posted:

I've been using Windows 10 since launch and have never felt like I'm fighting with it. Current branch of Windows 10 is a-ok.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is the cheapest way to get a W10 license or Entitlement still an upgrade from W7?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Install Win 10, activate with Win 7 key still works, yeah.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What about "upgrade from old w7 install, log into w10 with MS Account"? My friend has a laptop on W7 she hardly uses, but she's building a new computer. It'd be nice if we could get an entitlement and move it or something. Worst case we just spend 70 bucks or so on a license though.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

PerrineClostermann posted:

What about "upgrade from old w7 install, log into w10 with MS Account"? My friend has a laptop on W7 she hardly uses, but she's building a new computer. It'd be nice if we could get an entitlement and move it or something. Worst case we just spend 70 bucks or so on a license though.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/accessibility/windows10upgrade The accessibility upgrade still exists if you want to grab a $20-$25 win 7 key from SA-Mart or something. I'm not sure you can transfer the w7 upgrade entitlement to a new computer by binding it to your MS Account.

edit: You actually might be able to transfer it after binding the entitlement to your MS account. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 19, 2017

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Actuarial Fables posted:

The removal of Cortana happened with the Anniversary update, and I was pretty sure that it outright removed the service. I remember looking for a way to enable it so I could sync it with my phone, but I wasn't able to find a way.

Strange that it's been installed and enabled for your machines, though! Maybe there was a way to enable it after all.

I think it might have something to do with the fact that I always installed it with an unattend.xml that bypasses the oobe. The Cortana app handles the start menu search, so I don't think they would have removed it completely.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

PerrineClostermann posted:

Just do a Windows 10 install straight to the new computer and use the Windows 7 key from the label on the laptop. Nothing more complicated should be required.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I recently set up a VPN on a VPS. Is there a way to get Windows 10 to automatically connect to a VPN when a user signs in and when it wakes up? I've started reading through this thing but I haven't heard of configuration service providers before so I don't know if that's a domain configuration thing.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
So if Settings > About reports my W10 as Version: 1607, OS Build: 14393.0, then that means that I haven't been receiving any updates for almost a year now right?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Ragingsheep posted:

So if Settings > About reports my W10 as Version: 1607, OS Build: 14393.0, then that means that I haven't been receiving any updates for almost a year now right?

Seems that way.

Did the person who set up your computer cripple Windows Update somehow?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
maybe? I'm on 1607 Build 14393.1066.

I've told it to defer upgrades until the creator's update dust settles. Nvidia card bootloops don't sound fun.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

dont be mean to me posted:

Seems that way.

Did the person who set up your computer cripple Windows Update somehow?

It's a company machine that was updated through "Software Center" but then my team and I left and we took machines with us (all amicable). The computers weren't wiped or reformatted, all the new IT guys did was create a new domain user account for each user.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Oh, then it probably didn't update because it couldn't see WSUS anymore and not even God knows if you'd have a license after a :pt:.

What kind of license does it say you have under Settings: System > Activation?

Also you can probably install 1703 from the Media Creation Tool/Upgrade Assistant/15063 ISO. Maybe. I hope.

You know what go run off an image of your Windows drive with Macrium Reflect Free before doing anything.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 21, 2017

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

dont be mean to me posted:

Oh, then it probably didn't update because it couldn't see WSUS anymore and not even God knows if you'd have a license after a :pt:.

What kind of license does it say you have under Settings: System > Activation?

Windows 10 Pro, Activated with a digital licence. The laptop was retail bought and originally came with Win8 key but had one of those also downgradable to Win 7 offers at the time.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I'd start afresh - it's less hassle and you won't have a legit license anyway

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Ragingsheep posted:

It's a company machine that was updated through "Software Center" but then my team and I left and we took machines with us (all amicable). The computers weren't wiped or reformatted, all the new IT guys did was create a new domain user account for each user.

This means it was likely managed and updated through SCCM. The new IT guys should remove the SCCM Agent and configure group policy to either point to WSUS or at least configure WUB (pretty much standard updates but with more control).

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Small annoyance that the creators update introduced for me: the new defender security centre health report will not stop nagging at me (by putting a small yellow exclamation point on its icon. Yeah I know, it's a very small annoyance) about how my laptop's screen is at max brightness and how this will affect battery life. I see no way to dismiss this message which seems like some primo dumb design. You think I don't know what running at max brightness does? I don't use battery power anyway!

Does anyone know of a way to actually deal with this or am I just going to have to deal with that exclamation in my bar forever?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Yeah I hate that too. Lemme know if you figure out a way to disable that.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
Stop and then disable the "Security Center" service. Defender AV will continue to run. Firewall will continue to run. Windows Update will continue to run. Those are all separate services. All "Security Center" does is nag you.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Shouild I have the creator's update yet? I seem to be the last one?

Looks like I have OS Build 14393.1066?

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

xamphear posted:

Stop and then disable the "Security Center" service. Defender AV will continue to run. Firewall will continue to run. Windows Update will continue to run. Those are all separate services. All "Security Center" does is nag you.

Thanks for this.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Deviant posted:

Shouild I have the creator's update yet? I seem to be the last one?

Looks like I have OS Build 14393.1066?

The rollout is staged and can take weeks. Use the Upgrade Assistant or Media Creation Tool or 15063 ISO.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

xamphear posted:

Or you can turn brightness to literally 99% (which basically doesn't matter if your laptop has auto brightness) and harass Microsoft about it in Feedback Hub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I have a problem. I disabled Cortana because it's dumb and useless to me and I don't particularly care for it to collect my info if I never use it. However, I do want to search the internet via the Windows search icon but it too is disabled. What do?