Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Tae posted:

Then you have the Ike-Black Knight problem of slapping Hammer/Armor Slayer to make it trivial even on the hardest difficulty.

Although to be fair, I could've easily just changed Corrin to a lance user and buy that Arms Scroll in the store for the Beast Killer but I need money for other stuff.
Yeah, no matter what angle you approach this "duel to the death" from, Xander is hilariously easy to take out in a single turn. It basically boils down to how you the player want to deal with the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

"Cheating like a real prince of Nohr, you scumbag"

N-no... I'm still so weak. I'm still no match for you...
Why did you let me win, Xander? TELL ME! WHY?!
Answer me! I fought so hard to be stronger... But it's still not enough! You still... *sob* Ended up protecting me in the end... It's just like when we always trained together... It's just like... *sob*

Do you know what my favorite memory is? Sharing a laugh with you, Elise, Camilla, and Leo around the dinner table. I think Leo had his boots on the wrong feet that day...

Is that seriously a thing we're putting on Leo? Is that his "character?"

In my heart I have so many memories of us siblings laughing together... Those were the happiest days of my life.
Then why did it have to end this way? Why did we have to fight?! If you had just listened to Elise, or to me... Neither of you would have had to die!

You chose a path...but I never had that choice. I am the Crown Prince of Nohr. My fate was sealed the day I was born.

Uh...actually...

Xander...
I'd like to think that things could have turned out differently in another world. We could have ended the war together, fighting side by side.

Just wait a couple more updates, dude

*cough* *cough*
Xander! Stay with me!
I'm here, Corrin. I...I'm sorry...I let you slip away from me. As crown prince...

So, I really did intend to kill you for the good of Nohr. But in the end... I did what I always told you not to do. I let my feelings overrule my duty.
In the end, it was my undoing. Is that...is that justice?

what

That's not fair, Xander! You think you can just say something like that and die on me?
I'll never be as good as you, Xander... I see that now. I've always looked up to you... You can't leave me!

I couldn't lead this world...or Nohr...into peace. But you...you can. And you will. You can do the things I couldn't.
That's how you'll surpass me... In the end...
Xander...
I'm counting on you, Corrin... Father... Garon...he's...he's... *cough* *cough*

Xander...
I think I understand. I promise to stop him!
Thank you, Corrin. Now, it's time...to say good-bye... Please...don't cry...
No...

*sob*
Corrin...

If I stayed here crying, Xander would have g-gently scolded me... To honor their sacrifices, I must carry on their honorable legacy. I must be a light in the dark, just like Elise was... And I must be a kind and determined leader... *sob* Just like Xander.

Come on, everyone. It's time.
You can do this, Corrin.
Thank you, Azura.
Everyone...we're almost at the end. King Garon awaits.

Tae fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 17, 2017

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Elise: I may die but I will not let my siblings fight to the death!
Xander: I just killed my little sister and to honor her last words I am going to completely disregard them and commit suicide by Corrin.
Corrin: CAN YOU NOT
Xander: Alas I have to continue to make poor decisions to continue this plot

I feel this sums up the chapter perfectly.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
It annoys me because it feels like there's a half-way decent character here. Most Camus characters are pretty dumb when you get down to it, but considering that Xander is also bond by family makes his refusal to join you a bit more meaningful. Okay, it would if Garon wasn't so cartoonishly, obviously evil that you have no idea why any sane indivual wouldn't jump ship when given the first opportunity.

I think if the writers got their poo poo together and realized that, yeah, he does act irrationally a lot of time and made that, ya know, intentional Xander would have been a much better character but that might be getting ahead of ourselves here.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, somebody had to actually fight for Nohr here. Camilla was just her brother complex, Garon's probably just going to be all ARGH BLARGH DARKNESS WARGH. Actually representing the nation of Nohr (and the crazy idea that maybe countries shouldn't launch commando raids to kill each other's kings) fell to Big Brother here.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Glazius posted:

Well, somebody had to actually fight for Nohr here. Camilla was just her brother complex, Garon's probably just going to be all ARGH BLARGH DARKNESS WARGH. Actually representing the nation of Nohr (and the crazy idea that maybe countries shouldn't launch commando raids to kill each other's kings) fell to Big Brother here.

Given that Nohr killed Hoshido's king by offering to sit down for peace talks then going "PSYCHE!" I don't think they're in a position to be casting aspersions on their enemies' regicide tactics. :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Elise, Kagero, Orochi and Oboro are too good for this sinful game.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The description box is very excited.

And then immediately CG movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcCmgP57aV0

That about sums it up.

No one told us that Garon can bust out a Power Wave with his axe!

I may think he's being sarcastic....

Young Prince Corrin. It has been a while, hasn't it. For someone who spent much of his life as a pampered shut-in... You've achieved something approaching competence.
Gee, thanks for the compliment. As I'm sure you're aware...we're here to dethrone you. You've sparked a needless war that has claimed thousands of innocent lives.
Including my mother's...and those of your own children. Xander and Elise.

Xander in particular was quite a capable pawn.
A capable pawn? Your own son? Do you feel nothing at their deaths? What happened to you, old man?
How dare you insult me!

Oh, he doesn't like being reminded of his age. That's his weakpoint.

Of course my own children were pawns. As are you.

We're right next to you. You don't have to yell

Xander and Elise thought of you until the very end! They fought and died trying to save you from my blade! Yet you feel no remorse?!
You are clearly beyond redemption or negotiation. The only thing left is to do is end your reign...and your life.
Bwahaha!

You had triangle advantage, too

What did you expect? Attacking me with that pitiful letter opener you call a sword...
Let me show you how it is done!

NO! Corrin is dead! Because if Hans was able to kill him, surely two strikes from Garon woul-

...Why did Lilith die

Psst... Get ready. I'm going to sing my song now... He'll be vulnerable for a moment or two—attack immediately!
*ahem*
I don't think so.

*Garon grabs Azura*

WHY DID YOU TRY THAT RIGHT NEXT TO HIM

Azura! Let her go, Garon!
Don't even think about it. You'll never hear her pretty voice again. If any of you wish to escape here with your lives, I demand total surrender!
Forget...about...me. Just...attack him!
I...I can't!

King Garon... What are your demands? If you are reasonable, I'm sure that Nohr and Hoshido can come to an agreement. Now, please...let Azura go so that we can discuss this.
Wise decision. I demand nothing less than total, unconditional surrender from Hoshido. You are to transfer control of your kingdom to Nohr immediately. Also...I require your life. BAHAHA!

NO! Ryoma is dead!

No! Ryoma!
Watch out, Corrin. He's more powerful than I imagined...

...Why does anyone die in cutscenes before this

This negotiation is a sham! I won't let anyone else die today!
BAHAHA! What are you going to do about it, exactly? Will you drop your pathetic sword and surrender to me? Or will you fight—and ensure the deaths of all your friends?
I don't understand... When I attacked him earlier, it was like my sword just bounced off Garon's armor... That never happened before. I need to figure out a way to hurt him...
You're right. We need more power...

NOW you want to power up?

Look... Raijinto is glowing!
Is Garon doing that? What's going on?

You...what...you were THERE when this happened last time...

I don't think so. Remember when my Fujin Yumi combined with Yato? It's happening again!
So that means Raijinto is—
Urgh!
Corrin!

I can feel a new power coursing through Raijinto as well...
This must be what the Rainbow Sage was talking about... The Seal of Flames! Our three weapons are unlocking something amazing... Noble Yato is becoming...Blazing Yato!

Blazing Yato-16 mt, 85 hit, 10 avoid, 10 crit, Critical Evade +10, partially negates Dragonskin; Strength and Speed +4 while in possession

This is basically the strongest weapon in the game, since it's basically 20 mt with the bonuses. And partially negating Dragonskin means that ability only reduces the Yato's damage by 1/4th instead of half.

Perhaps you're right. But there's only one way to know for sure.
Hyaaah!

*Corrin strikes at Garon*

Azura, now's your chance!

*Azura escapes*

Thank you, Corrin!
You've just sealed your fate. Prepare to die.
I'll cast your soul into the eternal darkness of Nohr! Soldiers! Surround them!
Wrong. Blazing Yato gives me the power to bring light to your kingdom of darkness!

...Practically over? Corrin, never talk again to enemies after this.

Just a simple walk up to Garon and kill him. There's still a couple Entrappers at the top, but the enemies aren't that tough at this point.

Unlike Xander, Garon is actually still pretty beefy considering you have to double his defensive stats because of his Dragonskin. Also has Draconic Hex which debuffs every single stat by -4 after combat, which is an ability Corrin can learn on Conquest.

Every available character is on for this fight, including Kaze. The final battle begins.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

This is the part where I continue to wonder why the remaining Nohr troops don't just desert upon seeing that their tyrannical boss can be killed.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tae posted:

...Practically over? Corrin, never talk again to enemies after this.

A brief reminder of some lines from past lords in similar situations:

"Perhaps this explains why your own soldiers refuse to stand behind you? You are a poison. A festering wound. And I will do what my sister could not."

"Enough! I don't require every detail of your twisted philosophy. You're a villain and a murderer, plain and simple. And I am the justice you deserve."

"I tell you again: I make my own future. And it's one you'll not live to see!"

Corrin really should have someone else write his speeches.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
And of course, we can't forget:

"Make your peace with whatever the gods worship. Your end is near."

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

So this map's hardest part is basically the beginning, because you have five hard hitting units up top and two hard hitting Heroes and zerkers on both sides.

Rinkah with Rally Defense on her will be key for baiting out the top because she can deal significant counter-damage.

Takumi is there to deal with the Tomohawk zerker.

Rinkah did her job well to get most of the Great Knights. Oboro normally is the option, but it's very hard for non-armor effective weapons to one-shot them even with Oboro's debuffs.

Corrin eliminates the other zerker and nets himself a fine level.

You are so close now to godhood.

To Kaze, level difference means nothing. Like I said, he either debuffs+poisons or instant kill. Win-win.

The hard part of the mission is now done. Kiragi gains STR/MAG/SPD/DEF for level 34.

So what's remaining are Bow Knights, tome users on each top corner, and that Brave Axe zerker. Not too bad.

No chance even if the zerkers managed to hit.

Rinkah and Scarlet open up the next turn with some hard hitting one-turn kills. The latter gains a level of HP/SPD/LCK.

Well, Kaze is trying his best I guess. A bit too late for his stats to matter at this point.

30 strength now. Yay.

I'm not sure why the Entrapper is targeting Rinkah or Oboro. None of the Entrappers actually do anything.

But most importantly: Rinkah finally learns Aggressor. That means she has 11 extra attack between her PSkill and Aggressor.

Eh...I mean, she can afford bad levels at this point.

Malig Knights get taken care of by bow royals.

The Wyvern Lords get eliminated as the Strategists start moving out now.

Beast Killer putting in the work, as Rinkah and Hinoka move out to bait out the Entrapper. But like I said before, the Entrapper doesn't use their staff. I dunno if it's because their resistance are sky-high.

Rinkah and Oboro take down the Dark Knights.

Takumi baits out a General guarding Garon, and double crits to save me a little trouble. He gets a terrible SKL level, but he hit level 15 which means Bowfaire.

Almost to the end, so let's take a look at Garon's two servants.

The Sorcerer is an absolute nuke fest with max magic, Tomefaire, and Vantage.

The Maid is a super annoying tank with Pavise/Aegis, Miracle, and Counter Magic.

Just finishing up the last remaining easy morsels.

This is the most annoying enemy by far.

GODDAMN MIRACLE

Rinkah at least has no trouble on her end.

gently caress YOUR PAVISE

I hate gimmick tanks.

How can you possibly think you can win?
I've grown, Garon. I'm not a victim anymore. And I WILL defeat you!

Even with the best weapon in the game, Garon still kicks the poo poo out of Corrin.

Or perhaps you're just a sacrificial lamb...

Rinkah is like easily three times stronger than Corrin

I am incredibly disappointed that Garon throws his axe instead of doing that Power Wave he did in the cutscene.

At least debuffs still work on Garon, and Takumi with Certain Blow is the only guaranteed damage dealer here.

SPINNING JUSTICE PEACE ATTACK

Just in time for Hoshidan Unity

SweaterGear
Jan 4, 2010

There's a Monopenguin! :swoon:
Those bodyguards are great, and I wish it was worthwhile to capture them, but alas the best time to capture units has yet to come.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
Jesus Kaze and his single digit luck

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Dont need luck when you have

skillz

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

On one hand, defense without speed.
On the other, gain some strength, dammit. You're shaming your family.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It's a good thing I've been having Corrin actually do the killing blows because these would look much sillier.

Soldiers of Nohr! Lay down your weapons! Garon is defeated!
Our next order of business is forging a peace treaty as soon as possible.

Peace Treaty with who. Your team killed everyone.

Of course it wasn't easy.

Uh...that was a fast transformation.

No!
ARE YOU REALLY SURPRISED?
What are you?!
NOW YOU SEE MY TRUE FORM. THE BLOOD OF THE DRAGONS RUNS IN MY VEINS—AS IT DOES YOURS. WITNESS MY POWER UNLEASHED.

Oh, people FINALLY point out the dragon blood thing after like 20 chapters.

*Garon slams Corrin and breaks the Yato*

*cough* *cough* No! He destroyed the Blazing Yato! HOW?!
BAHAHA! EVEN I AM SURPRISED. I EXPECTED MORE FROM HOSHIDO'S MOST FEARSOME WEAPON!
I THOUGHT WEAPON DURABILITY WAS TAKEN OUT!
This can't be happening...

*Takumi and Ryoma charge in*

Blazing Yato may be destroyed, but I can still attack with the power of Raijinto!
Don't forget my Fujin Yumi!
YOUR WEAPONS ARE MERE TOYS AGAINST ME.

*Garon smashes both*

Hmm, at least Garon lives up to his reputation unlike Xandy.

NO! Ryoma, Takumi...are you OK?
YOUR ALLIES ARE WEAK. I WILL DESTROY THEM NOW.
You can't! I...I'll protect them... Somehow...
DIE!
Over here, Garon!

*Garon strikes at the group, but Corrin blocks it*

Ugh...
Corrin! Stop hurting him, you monster!
Why did you do that?!
Ryoma...are you hurt?
What were you thinking, moving in front of his attack like that? You could have been killed!
You worry too much, Brother...

Urgh...

Went as well as you expected.

That's right, the final battle is two battles! gently caress you if you're not playing on Casual cause you can't save!

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Well those cutscenes just look silly when you have certain castle accessories equipped.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

King Moreevil mcPuppykicker can turn into the fell dragon.
:geno: I am surprised, this is my surprised face.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i like how hinoka hasn't had a single line this entire finale

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Endorph posted:

i like how hinoka hasn't had a single line this entire finale

Hinoka suffers from not being interesting enough to be relevant in cutscenes. Ryoma is the oldest male, ergo he's next in line for the throne and has the responsibility of leading Hoshido's army. Takumi is the youngest male, so he gets to be angsty about his inferiority complex and be important to the plot; also, he has a super cool magic weapon that is relevant to the plot. Azura has Bullshit Magic Cutscene Powers that are relevant to the game's plot. Sakura is your real* little sister and is there to meet the moe fanservice quota and also emote being upset when Corrin gets hurt.

Hinoka's defining character trait is... she was really, really desperate to get Corrin back from Nohr. Which happened right at the start of the game, so her character arc is effectively over without you needing to do anything beyond pick "Side with Hoshido". Oh, and her supports also revealed that she's mellowed out a lot from how she was in her youth, when she was much more frantic and passionate about it, so it was actually effectively over before you even started the game. :effort:

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Meh, we got bizarro incest subplot out of it.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Hinoka would have made sense if she stayed back in Hoshido to defend the homefront, but ends up coming along for the final battle as a Karel type unit with crazy growths and stats. would have fit her character that she spent all this time defending her kingdom, but when it comes down to it, she's not gonna lose her sibling again. this would have required a touch of nuance tho, the writers couldn't have pulled it off I think

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

B-A Supports

Takumi's emotions are fragile. He needs to work on his mental fortitude.

You let other people intimidate you. Do you have any idea how that started?

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Been wanting to say this for a long time, but savvy players will have foreseen something like this happening. After all, Dragonskin isn't exactly a skill that you give to humans, as shown by the fact that the only units who have it in Awakening are the last boss and, on higher difficulties, his second in command. Therefore, its mere presence in Garon's skill list raises serious questions about just WHAT Garon is as early as Chapter 12.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Next update is basically the biggest in a while, so I'm gonna test creativity and ask for some female names for Corrin. Don't do something like Foreign.

Also actual names, not Feety McDongers

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Karen.

Because I am boring.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Corrine, because I'm also boring.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

CptWedgie posted:

Been wanting to say this for a long time, but savvy players will have foreseen something like this happening. After all, Dragonskin isn't exactly a skill that you give to humans, as shown by the fact that the only units who have it in Awakening are the last boss and, on higher difficulties, his second in command. Therefore, its mere presence in Garon's skill list raises serious questions about just WHAT Garon is as early as Chapter 12.

Literally anyone with a functioning brain could see this coming, not just 'savvy' players.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

When I saw one of the options for female Corrin, I was reminded of Shinobu.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Keira

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Helen?

I mean, they're not fighting over Corrin for her looks, but it kinda fits if you squint a little.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

CptWedgie posted:

The first time Corrin turned into a dragon my estimation that Garon was also a dragon rose to 90%. Dragonskin just confirmed it.

Tae posted:

Next update is basically the biggest in a while, so I'm gonna test creativity and ask for some female names for Corrin. Don't do something like Foreign.

Also actual names, not Feety McDongers
You mean like Corrin McCorrinface?

How about Carine then?

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

RevolverDivider posted:

Literally anyone with a functioning brain could see this coming, not just 'savvy' players.

I suppose that means "savvy" can be interpreted to mean "actually paying attention" in my statement, doesn't it?

That said, WHY is Garon a dragon? Not just an in-story "why" either, but what narrative purpose does it serve to make him a dragon?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Where else did Corrin get his dragon-ness from since apparently Hoshido has no dragon blood in them that let them use Dragon Veins and such? (Note that it's the Nohr siblings what make use of them the most aside from the player.)

And in FE where there's one Dragon, there's always more Dragons.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

EponymousMrYar posted:

Where else did Corrin get his dragon-ness from since apparently Hoshido has no dragon blood in them that let them use Dragon Veins and such? (Note that it's the Nohr siblings what make use of them the most aside from the player.)

And in FE where there's one Dragon, there's always more Dragons.

The Hoshidans have Dawn Dragon blood, the Nohrians have Dusk Dragon blood.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Tae posted:

The Hoshidans have Dawn Dragon blood, the Nohrians have Dusk Dragon blood.

See!? There's even more dragons than I thought there were! (Genuinely forgot that.)

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Xena perhaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

• Locked thread