Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

ntan1 posted:

If you are thinking at the level Aman, then consider Amanemu instead., also in Japan.

That looks even better. I love this Aman brand. Now I just need to think up some excuses to go to Japan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If you want a nicer hotel in Tokyo just go to Tokyo oak wood premier. It's more of a serviced apartment and great location

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

poisonpill posted:

So would you recommend just a standard hotel in Tokyo, based on location more than anything else?

Yes. Location is important if you don't want to have to walk 7-10 minutes to reach a station. If you are fine with that, basically any major Tokyo area works pretty well. I find that I don't really party late at night and don't really even care that much about which station as long as it's within or near the metropolitan area. Your thoughts may differ.

$30-50 per person per night for a hostel.
$60-$80 per person for perfectly passable business hotel, but with low amounts of space as it is Tokyo.
$100-150 per person for a western hotel.
$250+ per person for a five star.

I personally typically do business hotels on my vacations, because I know exactly what to expect and am OK with limited amounts of space. I've been known to spend way more outside of Tokyo in the countryside on ryokans and other things. However, I know a lot of people are not used to business hotels in Tokyo and would choose a standard western hotel.

caberham posted:

If you want a nicer hotel in Tokyo just go to Tokyo oak wood premier. It's more of a serviced apartment and great location

This is perfectly reasonable.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Oakwood is corporate housing. I think they build one anywhere there's a US consulate or embassy just for free permanent diplomatic housing contracts. They're nice, but they're kinda cookie cutter samey McDonald's-style "good enough" nice

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Great amenities and great location for its price. That's what makes premier better than other oak wood properties and frasier suites. Rooms are newer and nicer and all.

I just checked aman and holy poo poo it's 170,000 yen a night for the lowest tier room.

That's USD $1500 a night. That's like oligarch levels of spend and I don't think I will spend it on a city center location apartment.

At least Aman hangzhou gives you a village house and direct temple access and private village garden grounds. I mentioned aman Tokyo as a money no object oligarch levels of "nice". Tokyo is already a giant money sink already so I think there's a bunch of things you can do.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I saw the lower end of Aman Tokyo is 90k yen a night. If it was the US I'd call that $900 after taxes and resort fees and poo poo but I dunno if Japan does that or if you really pay the posted price, if so that's like $830 a night. Pricey, but Japan is pricey and I think high end HK hotels are about the same.

I definitely wouldn't pay anything near that for Oakwood. Even premier. A lot of my coworkers in Guangzhou lived at the Oakwood premier there and again, it's nice. But at the end of the day it's corporate housing and you know what you're gonna get pretty much anywhere in the world.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

poisonpill posted:

If you were going to stay in a 5-star hotel in Tokyo for one night, which one would it be and why? Bonus points for the best 2-star hotel to crash in the next night after drinks.

Hoshinoya Tokyo because I want to try the onsen. It's actually slightly cheaper than Aman.
But yeah, for the same money you could pay for an entire trip to somewhere outside of Tokyo. At least that's how those of us who live in Tokyo feel. Hard to justify.

For a cheap 2-star hotel I usually just do one of the APA properties. Just ignore the propaganda in the room.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 16, 2017

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
The propaganda didn't get rescinded?

I always wanted to stay in one but somehow didn't and ended up in either an airbnb or found some other amazing deal.

New ones keep on popping up here and there.

Oh yeah if you guys want something like the Japanese Hilton then try out Mistui Garden hotels. They are all over Ginza and very near metro/ train stations.

There's also Keio Plaza in Shinjuku but it's actually one metro stop from shinjuku. A bit of a walk through empty walkways or corridors or homeless dudes at night.

Honestly though all this hotel talk doesn't really matter too much if you are new to Tokyo/Japan because you will probably

1. Get lost all the time
2. Spend all your time in some Akihabara maid cafe
3. Not know any better and only want to eat sushi Jiro
4. Be impressed with any conveyor belt sushi and call it a day
5. Go to Wendy's or Carl's Junior because they don't exist back home
6. Instead of spending more time in Tokyo you waste your time in Osaka

caberham fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Apr 17, 2017

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Forgot this one.

You just pick the cheapest option and don't give a poo poo.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Or you redeem your points and stay with whatever you are familiar with.

Ugh I want some Japanese food.

I'm going to Saiseriya

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

caberham posted:

The propaganda didn't get rescinded?

I always wanted to stay in one but somehow didn't and ended up in either an airbnb or found some other amazing deal.

New ones keep on popping up here and there.

Oh yeah if you guys want something like the Japanese Hilton then try out Mistui Garden hotels. They are all over Ginza and very near metro/ train stations.

There's also Keio Plaza in Shinjuku but it's actually one metro stop from shinjuku. A bit of a walk through empty walkways or corridors or homeless dudes at night.

Honestly though all this hotel talk doesn't really matter too much if you are new to Tokyo/Japan because you will probably

1. Get lost all the time
2. Spend all your time in some Akihabara maid cafe
3. Not know any better and only want to eat sushi Jiro
4. Be impressed with any conveyor belt sushi and call it a day
5. Go to Wendy's or Carl's Junior because they don't exist back home
6. Instead of spending more time in Tokyo you waste your time in Osaka

hey don't doxx my itinerary

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I'm going to Okinawa on Friday, I'm gonna be there for 6 days with my wife. First time ever in Japan. Except for beaches and snorkeling what should I fill my time with?

Also, I guess it's a long shot in this thread, but since I'm into cars, does anyone know if there is a car "scene" in Naha or elsewhere on Okinawa?

fish and chips and dip fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 17, 2017

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You can party with US troops and rape the locals :downsrim:

But do check out the museums and all. Not so sure about the cars, but you can try to find pimped out truckzzzzzz

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

For real though I am gonna 1000%, unironically go to Wendy's in Japan cuz it's really good.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

poisonpill posted:

If you were going to stay in a 5-star hotel in Tokyo for one night, which one would it be and why? Bonus points for the best 2-star hotel to crash in the next night after drinks.
I stayed at the Imperial Hotel for one night at the end of my trip - I have stayed in 5*s around North America and I have never had service that good. The room was really nice. The hotel common spaces were pretty dated, but from a location, service, and room quality standpoint I give it two thumbs up. If I were going back to Tokyo tomorrow and I had the cash, I'd stay there again for sure.

Disclaimer: It is probably not the nicest 5* in Tokyo. It is maybe not even on the first page of results of the nicest 5*s in Tokyo. But bang for the buck wise, it is really worthwhile.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I dont really like APA cause their rooms are ridiculously small compared to the other major chains, and for some reason they get the brunt of Chinese tour groups.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Magna Kaser posted:

For real though I am gonna 1000%, unironically go to Wendy's in Japan cuz it's really good.

Just go to shake shack if you want a fast-food burger in Japan. It's better than Wendy's for sure

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

ntan1 posted:

I dont really like APA cause their rooms are ridiculously small compared to the other major chains, and for some reason they get the brunt of Chinese tour groups.

Well probably not anymore lol

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Magna Kaser posted:

Me too

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Wendy's is a must but I want to finish this list sometime in my life

http://tokyobestburgers.com/

Best way to set up goon meets!

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
Airbnb apartments almost always cheaper and nicer than business hotels in the major cities

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Wendy's is good. The one in Ikebukuro was the best.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
You guys missed out on a kindred spirit since former Japan goon fast food king Carfax Report is no longer here besides business trips

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

fish and chips and dip posted:

I'm going to Okinawa on Friday, I'm gonna be there for 6 days with my wife. First time ever in Japan. Except for beaches and snorkeling what should I fill my time with?

Also, I guess it's a long shot in this thread, but since I'm into cars, does anyone know if there is a car "scene" in Naha or elsewhere on Okinawa?

The aquarium is pretty good, as are the ruins of the Nakagusuku Castle. There's also a pretty cool abandoned hotel project behind it, officially off-limits though.

Otherwise, make sure you get off the main island at some point. Snorkeling in Zamami was some of the best in my life.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

prompt posted:

Airbnb apartments almost always cheaper and nicer than business hotels in the major cities

It's mostly positive for me but I always find check in and to be a bit of a hassle. Especially with late/early check in and holding your bags after check out.

If you are lucky then you land yourself into a nice apartment with a helpful host giving local tips and pointers.

If you are not then it's some generic house lord in a barely furnished apartment.

Worst luck is you staying in some gross pigsty/ or noisy property.

I never tried the ultra high end airbnb but it's on my list one day.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm sorry to say that even Okinawa gets cold/cool in not-summer. I hope you get some proper warm beach days.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

prompt posted:

Tokyo was the first vacation in years I didn't use a VRBO/AirBnB. Just couldn't find one in a decent location that didn't look sketchy.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

LimburgLimbo posted:

Just go to shake shack if you want a fast-food burger in Japan. It's better than Wendy's for sure

That Wendy's First Kitchen was really, really good.

I'm bias though Wendy's is prob my fav fast food burg in the US and I legit miss it. It's also the only one of the big 3 that isn't in China :smith:

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Magna Kaser posted:

I'm bias though Wendy's is prob my fav fast food burg in the US and I legit miss it. It's also the only one of the big 3 that isn't in China :smith:

I am upset they don't have double stacks.

Also, I get mad at most Japanese burger places because their burgers are small and messy. Like they have to overcome the lack of meat by throwing a bunch of BS toppings on there. Eggs don't belong on burgers unless they are Australian.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Magna Kaser posted:

Actually come to think of it I haven't been since they shut down their dedicated store in Roppongi. Will have to check it out.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

LimburgLimbo posted:

Actually come to think of it I haven't been since they shut down their dedicated store in Roppongi. Will have to check it out.

That's the one I went to, and it had all sorts of weird stuff that was really good. I got some burger on a brioche with brie or something and it seemed way too good (and inexpensive) for what it was.

It's sad to hear it's gone.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
There's still a bunch around:

http://www.first-kitchen.co.jp/wendys-fk/shop.php

I rode by the one in Akasaka just the other day and it was open.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Magna Kaser posted:

That's the one I went to, and it had all sorts of weird stuff that was really good. I got some burger on a brioche with brie or something and it seemed way too good (and inexpensive) for what it was.

It's sad to hear it's gone.

I meant the Wendy's only store, not the Wendy's-FK combo. There used to be a big Wendy's in Harajuku and Roppongi.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Non-FK Wendy's in Tokyo are terrible. Like, even worse than the ones in the US.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?

caberham posted:

I never tried the ultra high end airbnb but it's on my list one day.

Used it for a penthouse suite in Vancouver, was awesome and a great value

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Stringent posted:

Non-FK Wendy's in Tokyo are terrible. Like, even worse than the ones in the US.

Aren't they all gone now?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I hope so. I saw on the list up there the one in Akebonobashi was converted to FK.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Legit miss Five Guys :(

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

LimburgLimbo posted:

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

caberham posted:

Wendy's is a must but I want to finish this list sometime in my life

http://tokyobestburgers.com/

Best way to set up goon meets!

Beware:m ARMS let's dogs from the nearby dog run into the restaurant without any warning inside the store. Nothing says bon appetit like a bunch of gross animals around you while you're trying to eat. Burgers are awesome though.