Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Green Intern posted:

A shame that the grand alliance fell apart over something so paltry as unrestricted exporting of Vampire Religion.

To be fair, how are u probably needed to be taken seriously two dozen turns ago, and unless Pan's 'fatigue' has been some no-effort fake attacks he's probably just going to be blood bags for the vampire horde. The bigger problem is that if that start focusing each other, that mostly leaves Caelum against that boogieman golem Bogarus, and I don't see that war happening while everyone else fights ending well for any non-Bogarus party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Honestly outside of Pan, (unless they are faking their bad attacks) I could see any one of Bogarus, Caelum or Gath pulling out a win at this point.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
What sort of nasty spells will we see Pan throwing at Gath?

Or Pan could just run his animal horde into vampires over and over again.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Even though a Golem can accrue insanity, I don't think it can ever trigger on it because it is a Mindless unit.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
There are nature spells that deal with undead, but they're not really designed for this many flying doom-fuckers.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
this is what probably should have happened the turn after Arcane Nexus went up tbh

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah for real i have read basically every dominions LP that has ever come up on these forums and in literally every other game, Arcane Nexus is a thrown gauntlet to the entire world, it's a personal promise to everyone playing that they absolutely will die, brutally, unless they do something about it right now. it's like going Christian first in a Shogun 2 game. It's writing 'REDRUM' on the walls in blood. it is insane that howareu has gotten away with it for so long.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
There's probably a little more leeway in a MoMoney game with the research settings dialed allllll the way up just because someone reaching Nexus may very well not have the tools available to leverage it fully for quite a while, but now that he's shown Wish he definitely needed to have something done about him yesterday.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Arcane Nexus income increases proportionately to gem expenditure, so Mo Money just means Mo Pearls from the Nexus.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

And even if they can't use the pearls it's giving them yet doesn't mean it's fine to let them have the pearls at all.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

I think someone covered earlier how much of a giant "KILL ME NOW!" sign How are u has on him right now, it's just that he keeps hiding it behind his diplomatic messages.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Also usually nobody wants to be the only one attacking an obviously strong nation, so a lot comes down to trying to convince everyone else to team up against that guy. In fact that's so important that I think this turn How are u is missing an important cue; if Pan is about to attack him, he ought to assume that everyone is about to attack him until he's certain they're not.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
That golem trick looks ridiculously effective. Is there any real counter other than "use units with high magic resistance, moron."? And is there any reason that not EVERYONE has a half dozen of those guys hanging around to effortlessly wipe the floor with large enemy armies? The pure expense of crafting a similar tough dude? Even without the unique Armor of Virtue, it seems to be doing pretty well.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

That golem trick looks ridiculously effective. Is there any real counter other than "use units with high magic resistance, moron."? And is there any reason that not EVERYONE has a half dozen of those guys hanging around to effortlessly wipe the floor with large enemy armies? The pure expense of crafting a similar tough dude? Even without the unique Armor of Virtue, it seems to be doing pretty well.

They are extremely pearl and mage turn intensive to get rolling.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Why haven't we seen more enslave golems from Ramc yet? Does it take a few turns to make one? Will Howareyou get his own enslave golems? Will the whole world be chewed up by armies enslaving each other?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Apocron posted:

Why haven't we seen more enslave golems from Ramc yet? Does it take a few turns to make one? Will Howareyou get his own enslave golems? Will the whole world be chewed up by armies enslaving each other?
Probably because they're, as just noted, extremely expensive to set up, and that armor to make sure it doesn't get killed while laying on the ground recovering from casting the spell is unique, so you can put it on up to one enslave golem. Currently, he can put it on zero without blowing a Wish himself.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

PurpleXVI posted:

Spamming assassin's with high MR at mass enslave casters can be useful. Even if you lose 5 or 6, killing that caster is time well spent.

That's another reason why the virtue armor is good, it helps proof against assassin strikes.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the mental image of a golem passing out to nap is v funny to me

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I remember when I played Dom 3 that if you put up Arcane Nexus, you should be prepared to fight the entire world. I'm really surprised How are u has managed to avoid the dogpile until now, silver-tongued mastermind?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
A lot of the players have shown fatigue from dealing with the increased resources of a Mo Money game, so that's probably a factor. Being very active diplomatically is also an important factor, I think.

Whether or not How are u is the most dangerous nation entering the endgame is a hard determination to make, and he certainly wasn't the largest, but domspam+vampires+Nexus should have been one of the world's biggest Kick Me signs, IN ADDITION to several other red flags that the other players made note of. You don't want to give a nation the time to fully leverage some of the most powerful tools in the entire game.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Apocron posted:

A golem costs a chunk of pearls to create and is made with 2 pips of astral magic (S2 for short). You can get +2 astral pips relatively simply from cheap items- the starshine skullcap and the crystal coin which are like 10 and 20 gems respectively. You can make a fake +1 astral sort of with a crystal shield because it gives that aforementioned boost first round. That only puts you at 5S effectively though. Construction 8 dimensional wand is good because you get a cheap, but unique, +1S booster. If you have a sorcery ring kicking around that is another +1S but costs like 70 pearls or something. Anything beyond that you are empowering the golem in astral to make up the differences you couldn't swing and that gets spendy and each empowerment takes a turn.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice
What is the effective level of the Golem's S magic vs Duel? Do all those boosters count?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

I ride bikes all day posted:

What is the effective level of the Golem's S magic vs Duel? Do all those boosters count?

They don't, it's base ranks only.

However, golems are mindless (or not alive? I forget which one matters) and are immune to Magic Duel, so it doesn't matter, you can't kill it that way.

Edit: vvvv That was fantastic.

Prism fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 17, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

boosters not counting is how Lilli got her current avatar, she killed a pony pretender god with a bunch of turkey mages using mind duel.

god drat, that owned.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Coolguye posted:

boosters not counting is how Lilli got her current avatar, she killed a pony pretender god with a bunch of turkey mages using mind duel.

god drat, that owned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxaO63-R774&t=9s

Ramc
May 4, 2008

I ride bikes all day posted:

It probably doesn't matter because he teleported into your attack and is going first.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, watching all these high-test things crashing into each other is well worth the price of admission.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Ramc posted:

Even though a Golem can accrue insanity, I don't think it can ever trigger on it because it is a Mindless unit.

Fun update from a different game, a Golem with insanity can totally have it trigger. It doesn't matter though because literally the only other non-AI player is howareu and he has 3 provinces to my like 100+ 50Kgp nightmare zone land where -I- have the pantokrator throne. ITS ME THIS TIME HOWAREU! I HAVE IT!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
CNN presents

Caelum Turn 78

The turn where I spend tons of time forging stuff and thinking about what stuff to forge.

Caelum Turn 79

The turn where I spend tons of time renaming commanders, forming armies, scripting armies and finally, moving armies.

15 minutes of scripting and renaming were cut from this ordeal, because I still have a soul.

Fake edit: My next attempt to close the posting gap will be next Sunday.

Ye olden turns

Ubern00b
Nov 4, 2009
After watching the Caelum video it's hard not to imagine 'Allo 'Allo as a theme for this LP.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

I have been playing this game for so very long... and I never knew this :negative:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 85

Turn 85 begins with a research breakthrough: we have reached Thaumaturgy 8. Thaum 8 opens up some new spells, but the one I’m most interested is this:

Worms That Walk are a unit introduced in Dominions 4. They’re kind of like…Nature Vampires. They’re Immortal, have an extra, special, battlefield-exclusive, additional version of Immortality, and are generally really cool. They’re expensive, but remember that we own the Throne of Sorcery which gives us a 20% Thaumaturgy discount. We’ll start summoning Worms in that province, because they’re always useful to have around.

Birds claiming Thrones.

We see that Caelum has successfully claimed one of the Thrones he’s stolen from Bogarus: The Crystal Throne. At this stage in the game the Adepts of the Iron Order that he can recruit from the Throne probably won’t make a huge difference in his strategy, but diversity is always welcome.

We cast all the usual spells this turn, including four casts of Send Horror at two of Pangaea’s provinces!

Badass Horrors from beyond the Veil!

:wtf:

Try again!

:wtc:

What a loving let-down, Christ. Greater Horrors are not nearly the terrifying army killers that I remember them described as being in Dominions 3. I am beginning to think that I would have to send 5 or 6 of them at the same target if I even wanted a chance at killing a small to medium size army. Sad!

We’re teleporting the four Horror casters out of Old Man Mountains, where they’ve been staying, because they need to get behind the front line in order to be safe from Seduction attempts. So, no Horrors next turn.

How about battles? First off: Pangaea didn’t attack us this turn. Our defensive traps moved into position and no beast-men armies showed up to meet them. That said, Pan didn’t move his growing armies -away- from our border, and in fact it appears as though even more troops and units are heading towards the front line of this cold war. Additionally, Afrosquirrel has become incredibly difficult to get a hold of on IRC, a sure sign that he isn’t diplomacy-minded any more. Well, we’re going to see if he attacks next turn, because gently caress starting an offensive if you don't have to.

Ok, there were several battles we saw this turn, the first few were between Caelum and Bogarus. In Wise Spring Grove we catch sight of something pretty funny:

Bogarus breaks the Caelan siege of one (1) Soulless Warrior with an army of Voi infantry and 14 thugged out Bane Lords!

This x 14

I love it! I think this is probably a huge waste of gems and time, but whatever! Maybe we’ll get to face them on the battlefield sometime soon.

In the province of Obalshin Caelum storms one of Bogarus’ forts. Caelum’s army is staggeringly large here:

This is nuts.

The defenders of the fort include a couple dozen bird-men that Bogarus dominated with his Golem a few turns ago. This time, however, there is no Golem, and the defenders are swept away on a tide of Wings and Rage.

Speaking of the Golem, well, it struck again. Caelum attempted to storm a fort in The Cracked Earth and got this for his trouble:

I didn't even take battle screen shots.

Libluini actually tried to mitigate the dominating Golem by Teleporting in a unit to cast Antimagic upon his army. However, he forgot that Teleporting is magic, and takes place during the magic phase of the game turn, while Storming a fort takes place at the end of the battle phase of the turn. The unit he teleported into the province joined his army, but it never had the chance to be given the “Storm Fort” order, and thus it defaulted to “Maintain Siege”, and sat outside the fort while the army went in and got hosed the hell up. Dominions: it all makes sense!

We only fought one battle this turn: we stormed the fort in Mushwoods:

:byewhore:

Victory! As spoils we get the bounty of Mushwoods, which ends up being a very populous province ($$, and soon slaves) and has sites that give a total of +2 Death, +2 Astral, and +1 Fire. A fine addition to our income!

The Arcane Nexus absorbed only 61 Pearls this turn, which, frankly, is crap. I am counting on the Nexus to pump in at least 100 Pearls a turn, fueling either our Wish caster or giving us the income to create 3 of our Golems each turn. We’re not going to do either of those things this turn, merely forge a Ring of Sorcery to give to a Kohen Gadol next turn to cast Horror Seed. :mediocre:

There were a couple of fun and interesting events that occurred this turn. First, I think we got hit by a spell in Star Peaks:

This would be the result of a spell called Wolven Winter, which is something you want to cast on somebody if you want to change the temperature scales in their province to Cold. I’m not sure why this was cast at me, so I guess we will find out.

Here’s a fun little flavor event that also happened this turn:

:v:

Ok so that’s it for reports for the turn. Now, what are we doing? Well, we’re reinforcing our defenses in the East on the assumption that Pangaea’s invasion is going to start any moment now. We’re also moving 7 Golems East to form the core of an anti-Pangaean spearhead army, with which we’ll go on the offensive.

Reinforcing with hordes of freshly summoned Demons!

And, more mages move into our goat-stack in Gemer.

In the West, on the Bogarussian front, we have cracked the gate to the fort in Ferra and are sending a scout inside this turn. We should also crack the gate of Bogarus’ fort in Banded Hills the next turn. Fingers crossed that we can take a couple more of Ramc’s forts in short order. I see that Bogarus has moved his own squad of Vampire Lords and lesser Vampires into Zeburia, a province adjacent to Ferra. I don’t think he’s going to use them against us, however, because our Dominion is so strong in the provinces we are currently sieging. I would be loath to risk so many Vampires like that, so I am assuming that they are meant to fight Caelum.

Bogarus' own Vampire strike-force appears.

We're also keeping a close eye on Pangaea's forces in the West.

Caelum is also ceding the responsibility to take The Cracked Earth to us. Recall that we want that province because it is a Wasteland, and would allow us to summon Se’irim there. We’re sending a squad of Vampires to take over the siege this turn, we’ll see how Bogarus reacts.

The real question of the turn in my mind is whether I can successfully wage war against both Bogarus and Pangaea at the same time. I’m not sure. I think it works to our advantage that neither Ramc nor Afrosquirrel seem to have their head completely in this game, but they’re both either bigger or richer than we are. We’ll have to play smart if we want to succeed. Thankfully, I feel like we can really count on Caelum in this fight. He’s fully mobilized against Bogarus and is showing perseverance, and having success! [Ed Note - This is some genuine and real appreciation for Libluini here. He may not be the most cunning or surprising player (godknows I am not either), but he pursues his enemies with dogged commitment and just does not quit. The losses he's sustained to Of Course I Have Construction 8 the Golem the past three turns would have had me thinking about throwing in the towel.]

How are u fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 23, 2017

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I don't trust these new fangled nature worm vampires. Bugs and worms and stuff? Gross. Everyone knows all reputable vampires are of the walking-corpse variety.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Yes, Feed Me Updates.

So thoughts so far. First off, while Caelum is your ally, I wouldn't be surprised you end up fighting Caelum anyway BECAUSE OF THAT DAMNED GOLEM. Caelum's new pretender god? That golem.

As for Pangaea, I can kind of get where he is coming from. Bogarus and You are fairly equal in his eyes. Bogarus however has kicked in a few teeth, and it's mighty appealing thinking that you're greener pastures.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

That loving Golem is ridiculous.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
That spell is ridiculous. I don't understand why everyone isn't just racing towards that all the time.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
The Worm That Walks?

My D&D group played through the Age of Worms campaign. We know how this ends.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Flavius Belisarius posted:

That spell is ridiculous. I don't understand why everyone isn't just racing towards that all the time.

If you have the pearl income, and the paths to make golems, it is never a bad idea. There is a big research investment though.

(That said I have mass enslave golems in 2 or 3 games right now.)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Flavius Belisarius posted:

because getting someone to the point of being able to cast it is really, really hard. it took a mo money game just to see it happen ONCE, forget the idea of having it happen multiple times in normal games. it's also very vulnerable in many situations, high magic resistance would have it burning it's One Weird Trick and wasting all of that mammoth investment. a couple of bane lords with magic resist gear would be able to plow through many vanguard armies and would disassemble that golem.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Apr 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
To comment on why I'm taking all those losses in stride, I'm talking about it in my currently rendering video of Caelum Turn 80. It's mostly the combination of my astonishingly high income, my rather cheap units and having built up loving huge forces all the time after facing only AI-resistance for the entire game.

My main problem is getting all those dumb hordes to the front. Quite frankly, if it weren't for 99% of my armies being dudes with wings, I'd probably a lot angrier at my losses, but since my reinforcements can fly to the front 2-3 provinces at a time, I can just shrug and send in more troops.

Losing mages is more painful, sure: But look at that battle where I got brutally murdered by the Golem: Still half my mages survive. Turns out if you have your mages hiding around huge blocks of chaff, it's kind of hard for the enemy to get at them, even if the enemy is your own units. Because those will be caught in the same clusterfuck and in many cases, had to first fight their way through tons of loyalists to get to the mages.

And of course if morale breaks in a huge defeat like this one, flying mages can just flap their wings and fly away to fight another day. (It also helps that all this is happening in the border regions between Caelum and Bogarus, so there are a lot of friendly provinces around to collect refugees, so I'm not losing as much mages to accidentally running into an enemy province as you would think.)

That said, of course that stupid Golem was both hilarious and infuriating, and after the first encounter I started to immediately plan his demise. :v:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Apr 23, 2017

• Locked thread