Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I really hated Red Bull Seb but the dude is just so loving enthusiastic and happy to be driving for Ferrari and winning that it's impossible for me to not like him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

1500quidporsche posted:

I really hated Red Bull Seb but the dude is just so loving enthusiastic and happy to be driving for Ferrari and winning that it's impossible for me to not like him.
Honestly.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

1500quidporsche posted:

His bouncing back and forth on the podium was amazing. A little kid realizing his dream.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

1500quidporsche posted:

Welcome aboard, friend.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

1500quidporsche posted:

Yeah, seems like he's grown past the insufferably after getting away from Helmut and Christian's teats.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Powershift posted:

His bouncing back and forth on the podium was amazing. A little kid realizing his dream.

That little kid has more WDCs than anyone else in modern history! There are 2 people in the world with more WDCs than him, and one is dead and the other almost there.

That's what is super awesome. He's super experienced, accomplished and truly one of the great modern drivers. He still has passion and enjoys his job and cracks jokes, he's just a fun guy to be around. Mark Webber was a decent bloke too. But being a Mark Webber fan was an exercise in frustration. The number of times he'd qualify the car so well and then just totally forget how a clutch works on raceday was ridiculous. Seb loving delivers, as well as being likable. Hells yes.

McGuinty
Feb 11, 2008

Where's the nearest golf course? I have to shit.

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I think you mean Sind Vettie

Lol right you are, my mistake.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Tony Montana posted:

That little kid has more WDCs than anyone else in modern history! There are 2 people in the world with more WDCs than him, and one is dead and the other almost there.

That's what is super awesome. He's super experienced, accomplished and truly one of the great modern drivers. He still has passion and enjoys his job and cracks jokes, he's just a fun guy to be around. Mark Webber was a decent bloke too. But being a Mark Webber fan was an exercise in frustration. The number of times he'd qualify the car so well and then just totally forget how a clutch works on raceday was ridiculous. Seb loving delivers, as well as being likable. Hells yes.

He has all them WDCs but nobody dreams of standing on the podium in red bull gear.

McGuinty
Feb 11, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

...whilst Stroll is surprisingly proficient.

In Quebec, if you haven't guzzled wine with dinner by age 7 and busted your cherry by age 11 then something has gone horribly wrong.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Ouch! But true!

Edit: he really does replay a schumy podium in his head when he gets up there. Complete with conducting the singing Italians. Awesome!

Tony Montana fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 17, 2017

McGuinty
Feb 11, 2008

Ideally, you should also be up to your ears in consumer debt within 6 months of being old enough to get a credit card.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

I thought I hated Vettel too but it was just Red Bull (Well, Marko and Horner, Newey is cool).

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
hey you know who was fun to watch last night?

Alonso. He was putting that car in places it had no place being and then ended by the Honda making GBS threads the bed mid-overtake/battle.

The other orange car was dead last and Alonso is pushing the top 10. drat he's good.

Oh and Bottas's face. Man. You really though you were going to win that poo poo dude? I was loving with you. You held Our Lord behind you for the opening laps, that's good man. Be happy with that poo poo. As the Sky commentators said when Bottas says hes struggling for pace isn't not because he's a lovely FRAUD its because his reference points are 4 and 3 times WDCs.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

1500quidporsche posted:

If you know what I mean lads :smuggo:

Is rhis your cart? Thats awesome and I really want to drive it.

Want to pet the pupper too

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
F1 2017: Just do whatever you want, mate.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The one thing that really hurt the race was Brundle and Crofty trying to manufacture drama with Lewis at the end.
they knew drat well the timing streams were broken for the viewers, and were commentating like it was just a formality that Lewis would catch up. From 11 seconds behind, with 10 laps to go, to a car that was merrily holding position with the engine turned down. 4 laps to go Lewis had got the gap to 7 seconds after Seb had come up to a backmarker fight involving Kvyat that he wanted no part of and Brundle BELIEVED. It was truly horrible to listen to.

Edit: legit example something they said; crofty "he can read the sponcership on that Ferrari rear wing now!!!!!" Then they cut to Lewis' POV camera and showed exactly what a 10 second gap looked like. He couldn't even see a red dot in the distance.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 17, 2017

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

I will never abandon Channel 4, not after BBC News used a Sky clip and all I could hear was Crofty yelling loud and high enough that only dogs could hear him.

That said I do sometimes frown at Coulthards vocabulary. He really loves talking about under rotation.

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

learnincurve posted:

The one thing that really hurt the race was Brundle and Crofty trying to manufacture drama with Lewis at the end.
they knew drat well the timing streams were broken for the viewers, and were commentating like it was just a formality that Lewis would catch up. From 11 seconds behind, with 10 laps to go, to a car that was merrily holding position with the engine turned down. 4 laps to go Lewis had got the gap to 7 seconds after Seb had come up to a backmarker fight involving Kvyat that he wanted no part of and Brundle BELIEVED. It was truly horrible to listen to.

Edit: legit example something they said; crofty "he can read the sponcership on that Ferrari rear wing now!!!!!" Then they cut to Lewis' POV camera and showed exactly what a 10 second gap looked like. He couldn't even see a red dot in the distance.

Haha yeah wasn't that just awful? Ted was in fine form at that point too, as in being a total and utter fool with every drat thing he said.

I was asked 'who is that idiot' and I was like 'oh that's Ted. He loving sucks. Wait till you see his tubby rear end in shorts in the pit lane. gently caress that guy'. I can't remember specifics but I can remember at China when Lewis walked out in the rain he started a thing about how that's against the rules. Even his colleagues were like, can you possibly be more of a wet blanket?

Seb was cruising and everyone knew that if Lewis got anywhere near him he'd just kick his spurs in and gently caress off. Everyone except the Sky team, or they knew as well and are just horrible sensationalist journalistic fuckheads

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Race highlights, Liberty doing a good job with these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yXvIbKXehw

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Actually, looking at Carlos' camera at 2:40 it was Stroll being shite as I first thought and his grid penalty is deeply unfair. Carlos was on the exactly the right line you take after exiting the pits and Stroll simply didn't give him enough room.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Yeah, it looks like Stroll was in the wrong there

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Tony Montana posted:

Sky...horrible sensationalist journalistic fuckheads

Checks out

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Tony Montana posted:

hey you know who was fun to watch last night?

Alonso. He was putting that car in places it had no place being and then ended by the Honda making GBS threads the bed mid-overtake/battle.

The other orange car was dead last and Alonso is pushing the top 10. drat he's good.

Oh and Bottas's face. Man. You really though you were going to win that poo poo dude? I was loving with you. You held Our Lord behind you for the opening laps, that's good man. Be happy with that poo poo. As the Sky commentators said when Bottas says hes struggling for pace isn't not because he's a lovely FRAUD its because his reference points are 4 and 3 times WDCs.

You're kidding right?

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
It was dead, and it was last. Meanwhile, good news for Alonso fans:

He's classified!

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Only our Nando can classify a car that's outpaced by a mobility scooter

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

geonetix posted:

Only our Nando can classify a car that's outpaced by a mobility scooter

(check who's in 18th for a fun surprise :ssh:)

aequalis
Aug 11, 2010

Fernando is smugger than you. Can you confirm you understand that message?

learnincurve posted:

Actually, looking at Carlos' camera at 2:40 it was Stroll being shite as I first thought and his grid penalty is deeply unfair. Carlos was on the exactly the right line you take after exiting the pits and Stroll simply didn't give him enough room.

Am I wrong for putting full faith in the race steward for handing out correct punishment there? As much as I dislike the guy, Stroll was just taking his line, and Sainz who would have seen him ahead, decided to dive bomb the corner. Which really pissed me off because Sainz was supposed to be my big positions gain from the GP predictor. Stupid poo poo.

Dumb Username
Oct 20, 2012
Brazilians are angry at Max
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/massa-warns-verstappen-after-brazilian-remark-895052/

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

What does "he's Brazilian so there's not much to discuss" even mean? Brake failure my rear end that was a warning

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

He's the perfect Ferrari driver; he makes so much of it about the team getting him the win that they'll love him for it.

learnincurve posted:

Nah, I think Brundle and Crofty are kinda clowns but it was closer than you're making out. It got to ~6s with lewis pulling in 1.5-1.9s a lap with 6 or 7 to go. It'd only honestly take those two backmarkers to decide to go through all 5 blue flags and they'd have been in the same corner.

They wanted to believe way too much with like 2 laps left, but yeah there was a chance the Ferrari didn't have better pace on those older harder tyres.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bernie without power is sad and annoying.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Khablam posted:

It got to ~6s with lewis pulling in 1.5-1.9s a lap with 6 or 7 to go.

Not really, early on he was making those gains but after that initial burst he was only around a second faster per lap, and eventually there were more seconds than laps. There was one lap when he was something like 1.8 seconds faster when Vettel hit traffic but he was never in danger barring a failure.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

NtotheTC posted:

What does "he's Brazilian so there's not much to discuss" even mean? Brake failure my rear end that was a warning

The origin of this one is unknown, probably football, but the stereotype in Europe is that Brazilians are cheats. See also; Australian umpires.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

HJB posted:

Not really, early on he was making those gains but after that initial burst he was only around a second faster per lap, and eventually there were more seconds than laps. There was one lap when he was something like 1.8 seconds faster when Vettel hit traffic but he was never in danger barring a failure.

I got the impression that until Lewis cut the gap down to 5-6 seconds that Vettel and Ferrari were not just saving pace for Vettel's sake but to dangle the prospect of a challenge for the win in Hamilton's face hoping he'd push the car too hard or make a mistake in his fervor to close the gap.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

HJB posted:

It just takes one backmarker to ignore the max number of blue flags because he himself is fighting for position, and suddenly you're out 3s on one lap and it's one lap before DRS.

We've seen the influence of traffic being as much as a few seconds quite a lot of times before.
Despite that Brundle still said Vettel 'had it in the bag'

Not sure I get the criticism. It would have been bizarre commentating to claim there was no chance of a victory and I'm sure any other feed made similar points.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

wicka posted:

Bernie without power is sad and annoying.

I know, he's almost as bad as ex-Australian Prime Minister Abbott with the sniping.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
NBC was doing the exact same thing in regards to Ham closing the gap

Also whoever it was that said that they prefer watching NBC and commercials over Sky is completely insane. The number of ad breaks midrace is just excruciating now that there is actually like stuff happening.

GOOD TIMES ON METH fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Apr 17, 2017

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Vettel wasnt pushing i think?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Without the timing screens it made for an interesting and completely manufactured story, when the reality was that it was a dull end to the race and Lewis had as much chance of catching Seb as my aunt fanny. If it had been Lewis 10 seconds out in front with 8 laps to go and a backmarker fight between them on a track where it was almost impossible to overtake, he would have been "looking after his tyres and in engine saving mode cruising to the end"

The idea that Seb hadn't hosed off into the distance and wasn't perfectly capable of picking up speed if Lewis got within 6 seconds of him is in my humble opinion "total bollocks"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

NBC was doing the exact same thing in regards to Ham closing the gap

Also whoever it was that said that they prefer watching NBC and commercials over Sky is completely insane. The number of ad breaks midrace is just excruciating now that there is actually like stuff happening.

It me. I watched a Sky stream for the first two rounds and switched back to NBC. I'd still rather miss chunks of the race than have all of it ruined by Brundle.

• Locked thread