Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Exinos posted:

Don't forget they're expecting poo poo to be hidden, like temples lost in jungles or buried alien artifacts where only a single copy of the item exists. They think they're going to be space explorers and a single planet will have enough hidden content to last for years.

Like most games, within 24 hours everything will be discovered and there will be 5 wikis on how to find this to build that.

In Star Citizens case there will be 5,000 YouTube tutorials for dupe exploits, ship thieving, beating the game with the starter ship, money exploits, and trading hacks.

The fidelity will last approximately 1 hour. The tears will be forever. Again though this is contingent upon a game that's half what they promised being released, at least with basic core features that people expect. Like progression and buying a ship with in game money instead of a credit card.

Basically everything that will destroy Star Citizen and what horrifies CIG to surrender is what will make it an actual game. There is heavy irony there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Spectrum forums are dead. Counted 19 posts made under an hour ago. This is easily checked in 5 seconds sorting by last activity. It is a holiday but its also primetime weekend a few days after the busy main forums were shut down and people should be checking out the new forum.
The entire forum is slightly busier than this one thread in a subforum of a subforum.

Its dead.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
ArsTechnica: "Star Citizen production schedule goes public—but still no release date. No word on the much-hyped Squadron 42 either, which missed its 2015 launch."

183 comments and counting.

KevinM1 posted:

Snake oil in SPAAAAAAAAAAAACE

+26 (+35/-9)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Wrecked Angle posted:

Hey any shitizens reading this, just imagine if these 2 things were true...

1. They can't get the engine to have more than 24 players in an instance without tanking performance.
2. They can't get any location or asset bigger than a std FPS map to function within the lovely engine.

If those things were true and thus far impossible to fix what would you do?

You know what I would do? I would keep focusing on game-modes which don't break my 24 person barrier and I would slowly push out updates which don't include any massive locations or assets because the engine can't handle them. I'd keep quiet about the very real technical limitations I'm facing and just plop out a few more smaller locations and ships. I'd kick the can down the road, keep collecting the pledges and pray to god a miracle fix happens.

Let's have a look what Star Citizen is doing...

I would barricade myself in the Imaginarium and record endless types of motion capture. Like "guy sits in chair 8 directions" and "tired guy sits in chair 8 directions" and "guys fails to sit in chair 8 directions".

After that, I'd begin important stuff like "guy drinks, then food" and "guy gets food then drinks", followed up with "tired guy drinks, then food" and "tired guy gets food, then drinks" and of course "guy fails to get drink" and "guy fails to get food".

That's easily like, a full month of me single handedly building a space game. If other people can't keep up they are probably in the wrong industry and wasting my money.

Chris: my resume is in the mail for you to hire me. I'm looking forward to helping you make Star Citizen through motion capture recording. :cheers:

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Mangoose posted:

I've been mostly lurking these SC threads, making the occasional poo poo post and I have to ask: what the gently caress is up with these redditors and Derek Smart's penis and balls? Is it some sort of lovely meme? I've been trying to find out what it is in reference to, because these people can't make a post without mentioning Derek's privates. It's driving me insane, so what am I missing?

Please don't begrudge them their little pleasures, they have so much disappointment in their lives.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

ripptide posted:

Please don't begrudge them their little pleasures, they have so much disappointment in their lives.

:same:

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

D_Smart posted:

Nah, that looks like a False Flag op to me. Anyone dumb enough to put $15K into a video game, and not for money laundering purposes, isn't going to create a Reddit account just to make it known to the world. Especially without giving a reason.

This was a low effort troll.

Not really sure how this would be successful....seeing large scale investors running from a product under development wouldn't make me, as a potential backer, consider dumping money in, so not a real benefit for Shitizens t...

Dang, you're probably right.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Spectrum forums are dead. Counted 19 posts made under an hour ago. This is easily checked in 5 seconds sorting by last activity. It is a holiday but its also primetime weekend a few days after the busy main forums were shut down and people should be checking out the new forum.
The entire forum is slightly busier than this one thread in a subforum of a subforum.

Its dead.

That's exactly what they want. They don't want a stupid loving "community". They just want whales to farm money from via lies and fake marketing until they're done.

Just give cig your drat money and shut up. They really don't care or want your opinion, only your money. Oh and enjoy your :lol: open development.

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Its dead.

Nah it's fine, everyone's just busy pledging

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Still unsure if Zecumbe is the best undercover SA operative ever or just that into Star Citizen.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Still unsure if Zecumbe is the best undercover SA operative ever or just that into Star Citizen.

Could be both :frogc00l:

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

even in an echochamber of mentally ill sycophants defending a dumb video game (if that's what you even want to call yelling at a 50 year old man), they still need to silence people who dare enter

how loving boring, at least manofmanyaliases sticks around cause its just as funny for him poking idiots as it is laughing at star citizens

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

D_Smart posted:

MoMa is strangely MIA. I wonder why :smuggo:

Archive this reddit: Derek confesses to murder.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ripptide posted:

...you know what else is a little pleasure?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Just in on its way to upvote heaven:

"The main menu didn't crash guys!"

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/65pbay/i_uninstalled_the_game_at_23_and_gave_it_another/

Although the op had "10 different people" helping with the cursor and chat, this is solid progress. 3.0 on target.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Apr 17, 2017

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Trying to update this from almost a year ago. Solid progress.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_Peter_principle
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_march_(project_management)

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Apr 17, 2017

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

heh goonies :owned:

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
I mean goonie's

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
That zecumbe dude does more damage to the SC community than anything anyone here can do. Literally just goes thread to thread and calls everyone he disagrees with "goonie cuntifas". Like wtf is that?

Another thing that makes the community look insane with the memories of goldfish. I'll make a post on reddit every once in a while on something factual, like Chris saying 'up to 1k people per instance". I'll get three people going SOURCE OR TROLL???!! and often that zecumbe dude doing the 'goonie oval office' thing. Like that poo poo is common knowledge there were a fuckload of reddit threads about it. Linking the source is a trap too.

I understand now for many of them its deliberate obfuscation of something that makes them uncomfortable but still goddamn.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

his nibs posted:

heh goonies :owned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS9QDGW5Lak

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

what is cuntifas i dont get it

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
SUPER HORNET - YOU GET STUCK IN THE COCKPIT IF YOUR CO-PILOT LEAVES IT FIRST.

ACTUAL RESULT
A person gets stuck in the Super Hornet's cockpit if the person he travels with leaves the cockpit first, it doesnt matter if you are a pilot or a gunner, you get stuck if you leve it last.

EXPECTED RESULT
Freely enter and reenter the cockpit in any order.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
WEIRD SH... HAPPENS WHEN TRYING TO ENTER TWO DIFFERENT SHIPS/SEATS AT THE SAME TIME

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
1 Get you and your mate to park their ships close enough together so the IK system for enter seat are close enough to reach at the same time
2 Move character into position between the two IK points
3 Activate the "Enter Pilot Seat" on the first ship and then quickly...
4 turn and activate "Enter Pilot Seat" on the second ship

The player starts going through the animation to get into the first seat, but then teleports and breaks all bones in the 'void' area, then teleports into the second ship. The character has a glitchy head movement afterwards. Exiting the ship teleports the player to the center of the Crusader Gas Giant. Upon respawning, the player character cannot turn left or right.

https://clips.twitch.tv/GoldenSpikyHawkEagleEye

EXPECTED RESULT
The Character should complete the animation for the first ship and remain in place in the first seat selected in the IK system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUFSgkO60Yk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_bBxkiptKE

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer

AP posted:

WEIRD SH... HAPPENS WHEN TRYING TO ENTER TWO DIFFERENT SHIPS/SEATS AT THE SAME TIME

STEPS TO REPRODUCE
1 Get you and your mate to park their ships close enough together so the IK system for enter seat are close enough to reach at the same time
2 Move character into position between the two IK points
3 Activate the "Enter Pilot Seat" on the first ship and then quickly...
4 turn and activate "Enter Pilot Seat" on the second ship

The player starts going through the animation to get into the first seat, but then teleports and breaks all bones in the 'void' area, then teleports into the second ship. The character has a glitchy head movement afterwards. Exiting the ship teleports the player to the center of the Crusader Gas Giant. Upon respawning, the player character cannot turn left or right.

https://clips.twitch.tv/GoldenSpikyHawkEagleEye

EXPECTED RESULT
The Character should complete the animation for the first ship and remain in place in the first seat selected in the IK system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUFSgkO60Yk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_bBxkiptKE

#iamastarcitizens

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

alf_pogs posted:

it's probably taken from antifas

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

alf_pogs posted:

DUSTY OLD BONES! FULL OF GREEN DUST!

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
I've been deathly ill. May I have a synopsis of the past week events?

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Sillybones posted:

CIG released babby's first GANTT chart. Shitizens rejoiced.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

alf_pogs posted:

oval office fascist probably, whatever that actually means

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I'm not sure what's worse, this bug or the completely terrible "use" system they have to navigate to pull it off.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The Titanic posted:

Comical options:

1: Because the draw distance would phase them out.

2: Because even two people standing equally apart from each other could literally be on polar opposites of the moon.

3: There is no loving moon in Star Citizen you can stand on.

4: Once you get >16 people, the moon crashes.

5: infinite people can stand on a moon made of imagination and cheese.

Napkin math time!

Basic assumption: at 3km, it's really loving hard to see another person with the unaided, eye — they're just over 0.5 milliradians high, and a good eye has an angular resolution of 0.29 mils, and that's before we even get into atmospherics and sight lines and the like. And we're watching a monitor anyway, possibly with a true PC 90° FoV since we're not console peasants. So on a 4k monitor, that person will be 4 pixels high and lost in the background noise.

If the moon is completely featureless (which admittedly removes that background noise), you'll be able to cover ~36km² (we're using a square because the maths for packing circles tightly isn't done on a napkin).

At ~1.5M registered accounts, that means they'll be able to cover 54M km² without seeing each other.

54M km² means we're looking at a ~2,100km-radius sphere (rounded up to give a bit more space for everyone).

What's out there that has a radius of 2,100 km?
• Europa: 1,560 km
• Pluto: 1,770 km.
• Moon: 1,737 km.
• Io: 1,818 km.
• Mercury: 2,440 km.
• Callisto: 2,408 km.
• Titan: 2,576 km.
• Ganymede: 2,634 km.
(Humour entry: Kerbin, 600 km.)

So by “massive”, they mean “pretty normal” — another one for the SC:ese-to-English dictionary.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Tippis posted:

Napkin math time!

Basic assumption: at 3km, it's really loving hard to see another person with the unaided, eye — they're just over 0.5 milliradians high, and a good eye has an angular resolution of 0.29 mils, and that's before we even get into atmospherics and sight lines and the like. And we're watching a monitor anyway, possibly with a true PC 90° FoV since we're not console peasants. So on a 4k monitor, that person will be 4 pixels high and lost in the background noise.

If the moon is completely featureless (which admittedly removes that background noise), you'll be able to cover ~36km² (we're using a square because the maths for packing circles tightly isn't done on a napkin).

At ~1.5M registered accounts, that means they'll be able to cover 54M km² without seeing each other.

54M km² means we're looking at a ~2,100km-radius sphere (rounded up to give a bit more space for everyone).

So by “massive”, they mean “pretty normal” — another one for the SC:ese-to-English dictionary.

Ok. Can Cryengine do

Tippis posted:

Napkin math time!

Can it be "Achieved with Cryengine"?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

A Guide to Star Citizen's development

:siren: Please read this if you are one of the following: :siren:

A. You are coming from a background where games you like to play are released within a year or two from when they are first announced.

B. You are just finding Star Citizen and are wondering when it will come out.

C. You are wondering if this game would be a good purchase to play with your mates.

D. You have been waiting for Star Citizen for more than three years and are disappointed with the progress that has been made.

(these categories should cover just about everyone so go ahead and read on even if you do not perfectly fit into A,B,C, or D)

Why Star Citizen is not a Video Game and how to grasp the concept:

We have all experienced video games before, whether is it a sidescroller platform game, a tactical first person shooter, a topdown real time strategy, or a turn based large scale multiplayer game we all know what a video game is, simply that... a game. Since the first video games many developers have attempted to break out from their game status into a more in-depth virtual universe. These games are anything from the recent Mass Effect game to games such as Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim or World of Warcraft. These games have attempted to tackled issues like AI, dynamic weather, crafting systems, true exploration, and many more that make up their core mechanics but none of these games have effectively tackled all of the aspects that make up a universe. Sure all of these games are groundbreaking in one way or another but none of them has the aspect of true economy and independent timelines that truly progress the world and change behavior, interaction, and the perception of the world without player interaction. When a game world takes on not only dynamic events in AI behavior but also dynamic interaction with the rest of the game world into account that is when the game steps beyond the limits of a game and into the possibilities that come with existing as a universe.

Star Citizen seeks to be the first game to truly create a universe, not a game, but a uniquely dynamic and unscripted universe of opportunities. To get to this point Cloud Imperium Games has to first build each block of the foundation, something that no other game has taken the time to genuinely accomplish, therefore leaving some aspects of each of these games scripted and static. The base of this universe relies on so many different aspect that all work together in harmony to create the universe that is Star Citizen. The Items system aids the Character AI in accomplishing tasks created by the missions system which relies on the location of bases, AI, Players, and Items, which relies on the creation of multiple planets and solar systems which relies on the procedural yet handcrafted worlds tool which relies on the underlying tech of the engine which relies on the Net code which relies on the idea of spacial occlusion which relies on the idea of ships and there hierarchies to determine player position which relies on what role the player has in the universe which relies on what they choose to do which relies on all the previously mentioned systems and how they work together to provide the limitless options for the player. There is no one building block that does not need any other piece of this puzzle that is the core of the universe systems. This is the Universe that Cloud Imperium Games is building, not a AAA game, but a dynamic, genuine, and truly alive universe. There is yet to be a Game that has accomplished this feet.

So in conclusion, No, this is not a AAA title that will come and go with the newest title in the series. Yes, this universe will be released slowly over time as each block of it's foundation is created and integrated. No, you should not buy this game to play with your mates if you are not prepared to realize that what you play now is not even the first iteration of the full experience that is Star Citizen. Yes, it has been many years since it's announcement and that is to be expected with a brand new studio who is preparing to help us take flight into the most immersive, dynamic, and vast virtual experience in history. The Idea of the airplane was introduced nine hundred years before it came to fruition. Let Star Citizen run it's course and the best reality in modern technology since sliced bread.

TL;DR

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

Tippis posted:

Napkin math time!

Nice try, goonie, but I think you have some conversion errors there. 54,000,000 square meters needs a radius of 2,100 meters, not KM.

So maybe Cryengine really CAN do it!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sillybones posted:

I hope you are feeling better, friend. :3:

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

oval office fascist probably, whatever that actually means

Well Derek is confirmed racist against germans and we as Derek's followers are thus also racist against germans so we all have to be facists

MY OPINION

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ripptide posted:

Not really sure how this would be successful....seeing large scale investors running from a product under development wouldn't make me, as a potential backer, consider dumping money in, so not a real benefit for Shitizens t...

Dang, you're probably right.

It's a False Flag op to get us to post about it, me to tweet about it, then they go loling that it was fake, we fell for it etc. Then they get to use that to discredit the other real refunds as being fake too, and that nobody is getting refunds. They've tried this before, like three weeks ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

The Titanic posted:

That's exactly what they want. They don't want a stupid loving "community". They just want whales to farm money from via lies and fake marketing until they're done.

Just give cig your drat money and shut up. They really don't care or want your opinion, only your money. Oh and enjoy your :lol: open development.

Yeah, that's basically it. They want a tighter echo chamber and one which they have better control over as it's easy to squelch dissent. Also, compared to the forums, go ahead and try finding ANYTHING on Spectrum. This is why they were so quick to kill the latest dissenting thread (here's a PDF) . This was a 200+ thread before they killed it.