Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

Got a 2015 MacBook. I only have two users (my admin and guest user, which I disabled) and my login screen looks like two text boxes for Name and Password.

Used to be my user was already selected and all I had to do was feed a password. How do I get that back?

Settings > Users & Groups. You'll also have to turn off the Guest user if you want it to come up right away with a password field.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.
Not sure if this belongs in the HW thread, but I'm looking for a way to connect two MBPs and a PC to the same monitor, KB and mouse. KB and mouse are bluetooth, so that means I can't use a HW KVM switch like I normally would.

Many years ago I used Synergy and it worked decently as a software KVM, but it was flaky at times and I was never sure if that was due to it being a software-based KVM or just something specific to Synergy. After doing some research I stumbled upon Sharemouse, which seems to fit the bill. I'm about to test it but I wanted to know if there was an obvious winner or go-to product here.

EDIT - Just read the system requirements for Sharemouse a bit closer and each laptop will need their own monitor. Which is a problem as I was hoping to output both of them to a larger, shared monitor.

Mandals fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Apr 16, 2017

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I haven't used it in a long time but Sharemouse worked well. It's Synergy but actually works. I don't know of any reliable software that can do the monitor thing you want.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Synergy works fine for me. I used to have bugs years ago, but not now.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

kefkafloyd posted:

Synergy works fine for me. I used to have bugs years ago, but not now.

Yeah, Synergy is fantastic and "just works". I've use it at work all the time in my lab, switching from a couple windows and linux boxes. I also have it on my desktop to swap between my Mac and my company issues desktop.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Mandals posted:

Not sure if this belongs in the HW thread, but I'm looking for a way to connect two MBPs and a PC to the same monitor, KB and mouse. KB and mouse are bluetooth, so that means I can't use a HW KVM switch like I normally would.

Many years ago I used Synergy and it worked decently as a software KVM, but it was flaky at times and I was never sure if that was due to it being a software-based KVM or just something specific to Synergy. After doing some research I stumbled upon Sharemouse, which seems to fit the bill. I'm about to test it but I wanted to know if there was an obvious winner or go-to product here.

EDIT - Just read the system requirements for Sharemouse a bit closer and each laptop will need their own monitor. Which is a problem as I was hoping to output both of them to a larger, shared monitor.

How are you going to share the monitor? Are you going to switch inputs when you want to control a different computer?

Mandals
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't it pretty to think so.

jaegerx posted:

How are you going to share the monitor? Are you going to switch inputs when you want to control a different computer?

That was the idea, yeah. Given that there doesn't seem to be a way to share a monitor in my current configuration though, I'm just using Sharemouse across two laptops, one connected to my monitor and one just using the built-in screen.

It would be neat if someone made a bluetooth-enabled KVM switch. Apple could probably do it, but they would never, ever, ever in a million years make one.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

jaegerx posted:

Yep, either with a mechanical/electrical switch or with a monitor that has multiple inputs that it can switch between with a button press. My LG UW monitor has multiple inputs. I can also split screen the display and show both inputs at once.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
i use sharemouse for this exact use case and it works well, be sure to set a special toggle key for when you roll from one monitor to another so you don't accidentally switch monitors in a fullscreen game or w/e (i use shift)

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
also if you want to share audio to one machine (e.g. headphones) airfoil will do this with a slight audio delay

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I've got 4 monitors and 2 computers and I've been using a keyboard/mouse switch. I checked out Sharemouse and it's working pretty much flawlessly.

It's a little expensive, but it works out of the box.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
So I forgot my iPhone backup password.

Is there any way to remedy this without wiping the phone?

As it currently stands I can sync fine and use the iPhone fine, but if I ever wanted to do a restore I'd need the backup password. (So while technically I can back up the phone, I have no way of accessing said backups)

It seems weird I can't, with physical control of the phone and having it unlocked, initiate something or otherwise create a new backup with a new password.

Would this be possible somehow? I've been putting off my battery replacement for a while because I don't want to lose all my data :(

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Pretty sure you can change the backup password, which will then be used on all future backups?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

~Coxy posted:

Pretty sure you can change the backup password, which will then be used on all future backups?

it asks for a password to change the password, hence my frustration.

I'd assume if I have access to the phone unencrypted, I could somehow push a new backup (with a new password) from said phone.

it seems like an oversight that if you ever forget your backup password, you can never backup your iPhone ever again.

This is especially frustrating since my phone is elligible for a battery replacement but to send it in would involve the memory being wiped.

I'd email Steve, but he's dead :/

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

I store my backup password in 1Password as a secure note. FYI for the future.

It seems that once you enable backup encryption, there is no way to disable it other than restoring your phone as new, according to Apple docs. That's a bummer. I'd have thought deleting your backups would do the trick, but it seems that it's locked on the iPhone side, too. Apple does say you can backup to iCloud without the password though. You could try backing up to iCloud, setting up your phone as new to get rid of the backup encryption, and then restoring from iCloud.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

What's the best, non-sketchy way to upgrade from 10.9.5 to 10.10 given that Apple already has pulled 10.10 from the store? App Store tells me my MBP is too old to upgrade to Sierra.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Redgrendel2001 posted:

What's the best, non-sketchy way to upgrade from 10.9.5 to 10.10 given that Apple already has pulled 10.10 from the store? App Store tells me my MBP is too old to upgrade to Sierra.
Is there a reason you don't want 10.11? Anything that can run Mountain Lion, Mavericks, or Yosemite can run El Capitan. I assume (maybe incorrectly) that El Capitan would still be available on the App Store for that reason.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Is there a reason you don't want 10.11? Anything that can run Mountain Lion, Mavericks, or Yosemite can run El Capitan. I assume (maybe incorrectly) that El Capitan would still be available on the App Store for that reason.

Thanks, appreciate it. They still make it available so that it can act as a bridge to Sierra for older computers.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king

maskenfreiheit posted:

it asks for a password to change the password, hence my frustration.

I'd assume if I have access to the phone unencrypted, I could somehow push a new backup (with a new password) from said phone.

it seems like an oversight that if you ever forget your backup password, you can never backup your iPhone ever again.

This is especially frustrating since my phone is elligible for a battery replacement but to send it in would involve the memory being wiped.

I'd email Steve, but he's dead :/

If you're on macOS you can pull the password out of the Keychain. Open the Keychain Access app in /Applications/Utilities and look for the iPhone Backup password, under the login keychain. You should be able to double click that, click “Show password” then type your computer password in. If you're on Windows then I have no idea.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I'm trying to backup my DVD collection to ISO, as some of them are starting to have problems playing (I suspect disk rot has taken a few already). I don't want to use Handbrake, since I want to get the menus, special features, etc into Kodi. Googling this brings up either out of date information such as FairMount, or paid programs that I don't trust giving my credit card information to. Is there something that someone can suggest that will let me get that data backed up?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

IUG posted:

I'm trying to backup my DVD collection to ISO, as some of them are starting to have problems playing (I suspect disk rot has taken a few already). I don't want to use Handbrake, since I want to get the menus, special features, etc into Kodi. Googling this brings up either out of date information such as FairMount, or paid programs that I don't trust giving my credit card information to. Is there something that someone can suggest that will let me get that data backed up?

Can't you just use Disk Utility? I'm pretty sure it can make images, unless they stripped it of that. Go to it and highlight the DVD in the list and there should be an option somewhere to make an image (can you tell I'm away from my Mac?)

edit: here this should help https://superuser.com/questions/85987/mac-os-x-best-way-to-make-an-iso-from-a-cd-or-dvd

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Pivo posted:

Can't you just use Disk Utility? I'm pretty sure it can make images, unless they stripped it of that. Go to it and highlight the DVD in the list and there should be an option somewhere to make an image (can you tell I'm away from my Mac?)

I imagine it will choke on the copy protection. I can't even use dd without getting a permission denied.

EDIT: Yup.
"The operation couldn’t be completed. (com.apple.diskutility error 3.)"
"Preparing imaging engine…
Reading SEASON01_DISC01 (Apple_UDF : 0)…
Operation failed with status 13
Operation failed…"

IUG fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 20, 2017

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Oh, right, DeCSS needs to be in the chain, derp. Welp, I don't know off the top of my head. Sorry.

edit: http://www.dvdfab.cn/hd-decrypter-for-mac.htm ?

Pivo fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 20, 2017

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
WTF is up with this thread when I get poo poo for trying to bypass my IT department but violating copyright law is hunky dory.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Smashing Link posted:

WTF is up with this thread when I get poo poo for trying to bypass my IT department but violating copyright law is hunky dory.

Backing up a copy-protected DVD you own is legally awkward in the US and Canada, but at least it's YOUR DVD.

loving with your IT department is just salt because a lot of us are part of IT departments and people loving with poo poo you set up properly is annoying, whether it's hardware or software. It's not *your* stuff.

You got poo poo because you're an annoying user from that perspective. :-P

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Smashing Link posted:

I think we can all agree backing up your own redundant media to a format that you can actually use isn't going to have the MAFIAA chasing you. IT department finding you're deliberately circumventing security policies is likely to cost you your job.

The amount of goddamn autistic screeching I was on the receiving end of for installing Team Viewer...

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
I basically agree, just saying it caught me off guard. I have been in compliance since my scolding by this thread FWIW.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Smashing Link posted:

I basically agree, just saying it caught me off guard. I have been in compliance since my scolding by this thread FWIW.

Thank you.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Theophany posted:

I think we can all agree backing up your own redundant media to a format that you can actually use isn't going to have the MAFIAA chasing you. IT department finding you're deliberately circumventing security policies is likely to cost you your job.

The amount of goddamn autistic screeching I was on the receiving end of for installing Team Viewer...

Yeah, but since it is in this gray area, it makes it hard to find a good guide online telling you how to do anything that isn't out of date. And also makes me not trust anything that anyone is selling. I used MDRP for 5 rips, but then it wants $25. I'd go buy a disposable Visa card before giving my actual card, but I feel like this is something that doesn't need shareware to accomplish.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

IUG posted:

Yeah, but since it is in this gray area, it makes it hard to find a good guide online telling you how to do anything that isn't out of date. And also makes me not trust anything that anyone is selling. I used MDRP for 5 rips, but then it wants $25. I'd go buy a disposable Visa card before giving my actual card, but I feel like this is something that doesn't need shareware to accomplish.

It's a good point, but I guess for the majority of people Handbrake's ability to rip the movie is enough. Being able to create a carbon copy of the DVD, menus and all, is a special usage case unfortunately.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Theophany posted:

thanks for the reminder, I need to remove that poo poo from my VM!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Running El Capitan. Open App Store, click 'Install' on the Sierra page, installer runs, reboots...back into El Cap. Ran it again, same thing.

What the gently caress. I've had this happen before but don't remember what the fix was.

I can't find the installer in Applications, it was downloaded under another user on this laptop (15" Retina), so I'm going to delete that user and re-download it in the App Store and see what happens.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

IUG posted:

I imagine it will choke on the copy protection. I can't even use dd without getting a permission denied.

EDIT: Yup.
"The operation couldn’t be completed. (com.apple.diskutility error 3.)"
"Preparing imaging engine…
Reading SEASON01_DISC01 (Apple_UDF : 0)…
Operation failed with status 13
Operation failed…"

I use RipIt.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Redgrendel2001 posted:

you might be able to run sierra using this tool http://dosdude1.com/sierrapatch.html I have sierra running flawlessly on an early 2008 MBP, all I needed was a new wifi card that cost $15

this is sketchy but less sketchy than running an unpatched os

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Despite some graphical glitches, this works fine. Thanks!

I'm just taking the folder it generates, using Terminal to create an ISO out of the files, and giving it to Kodi. Plays without a problem.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
So is there any easy way to install boot camp on an external drive?

I have a 128gb jetdrive (SD Card) that I'd like to install Windows on; Windows 10's performance in Parallels has been terrible and I might as well make a partition for it. Everything I've read, though, seems to be super hacky and time-consuming. I only have a 128gb SSD on my macbook though and there's zero way I'm going to be able to clear off enough space to install windows on it.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

robodex posted:

So is there any easy way to install boot camp on an external drive?

I have a 128gb jetdrive (SD Card) that I'd like to install Windows on; Windows 10's performance in Parallels has been terrible and I might as well make a partition for it. Everything I've read, though, seems to be super hacky and time-consuming. I only have a 128gb SSD on my macbook though and there's zero way I'm going to be able to clear off enough space to install windows on it.

It looks like it's literally supported from Boot Camp Assistant by Apple: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25912?locale=en_US
I misread

That being said, running Windows off an SD card is going to be *slooooooooooow*! Probably why Parallels is slow, too, it's generally not bad. What model Mac is it? Unless it's a 2016 TouchBar you can get a bigger SSD if you want, if it's 2012 or older you can replace your optical drive with another drive.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Pivo posted:

It looks like it's literally supported from Boot Camp Assistant by Apple: https://support.apple.com/kb/PH25912?locale=en_US
I misread

That being said, running Windows off an SD card is going to be *slooooooooooow*! Probably why Parallels is slow, too, it's generally not bad. What model Mac is it? Unless it's a 2016 TouchBar you can get a bigger SSD if you want, if it's 2012 or older you can replace your optical drive with another drive.

It's a 2015 model - I thought they were impossible to upgrade?

And TBH I never had a problem when it was running 7, but as soon as I upgraded to 10 it runs like dogshit. It's not even a read/write issue; I guess 10 is just too resource-hungry to run in a VM when you only have 8gb ram.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

robodex posted:

It's a 2015 model - I thought they were impossible to upgrade?

And TBH I never had a problem when it was running 7, but as soon as I upgraded to 10 it runs like dogshit. It's not even a read/write issue; I guess 10 is just too resource-hungry to run in a VM when you only have 8gb ram.

2015 uses a proprietary standard that looks like M.2 but isn't. You can buy Apple OEM drives on eBay. Or an AASP like irepair on college and spadinaBathurst can order direct from Apple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

See hurrrr:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Retina+Display+Mid+2015+SSD+Replacement/48251
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Retina+Display+Early+2015+SSD+Replacement/38520

edit: as to not triple post ... you might want to disable prefetch/superfetch in virtual machines since Windows prefers to keep RAM full of cache just like macOS, which makes a lot of sense when you're the host, not so much when you're running under a hypervisor that is itself a guest.

Pivo fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Apr 21, 2017