Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Ugh, all the blobs seem....blobier of late. Which isn't helped by the addition of a fourth blob in asia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?

Jamsque posted:

Fabricate claims on Portugal until the surrender of Maine fires and England is at war with France (if they decide not to fight you should probably just restart). If you take five or six provinces from Portugal in the first war you can vassalize them in the second once the truce is up. You can even save admin points by not coring their land and handing it back to them later if you want, but be aware that the higher their development the higher their liberty desire will be, and France will probably support their independence if they are still disloyal by the time the truce is up.

Restart as Castile if the England/France war doesn't fire soon enough? No way, you can take them both on, easily. Stackwipe Portugal and spread siege them, then pivot the bulk of your forces to defend against the English dogs. The only problem with this, which I encountered in this patch, is that once you've shamed them in the first war Morocco is actually aggressive enough to take Iberian land in a quick war. Freaking Portugal got reduced to their islands and colonies.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

thatdarnedbob posted:

Restart as Castile if the England/France war doesn't fire soon enough? No way, you can take them both on, easily. Stackwipe Portugal and spread siege them, then pivot the bulk of your forces to defend against the English dogs. The only problem with this, which I encountered in this patch, is that once you've shamed them in the first war Morocco is actually aggressive enough to take Iberian land in a quick war. Freaking Portugal got reduced to their islands and colonies.

It's not about the war firing sooner or later, it's that sometimes England wusses out and doesn't fight at all. Yes, it is possible to beat Portugal and England, but I think it's much more efficient to save your manpower and money in that war so you can use it to take back Granada and beat up Morroco so they don't fight Portugal.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?

Jamsque posted:

It's not about the war firing sooner or later, it's that sometimes England wusses out and doesn't fight at all. Yes, it is possible to beat Portugal and England, but I think it's much more efficient to save your manpower and money in that war so you can use it to take back Granada and beat up Morroco so they don't fight Portugal.

England not fighting at all is a bonus. I don't consider not getting it worth restarting. It'd be like restarting if you aren't the one to grab the Burgundian Inheritance, or can't get Iberian Wedding as Aragon.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
If there's ever gonna be a time for me to do a WC that time is now:

quote:

I've had this happen to me before. I think it has to do with the new statistics menu. At the end of the ironman game, the statistic screen pops up and you only have the option to quit. In a non-ironman game, you can continue. However, if you open up the statistics menu in ironman before the end of the game, the statistics menu never pops up at the end of the game. You get to keep playing. You can try this by starting a game right before 1821, opening the statistics menu, and then waiting a few months.
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/game-didnt-end-on-1821.1014292/

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
:eyepop:

that's exactly the kind of exploit I was waiting for for a ryuku/one faith run.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

So you can just play till the heat death of the universe?!? Thats hilarious!

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

My uncle works at Paradox and he told me that if you use the exploit as Byzantium and never conquer a single province in game, after you reach 2017 it unlocks Victoria 3.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

So you can just play till the heat death of the universe?!? Thats hilarious!

This is actually a neat development! I have to try it soon.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Just got Colonialism as Ternate in 1503 lads.

Random New World owns. Eat poo poo Europe.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

thatdarnedbob posted:

England not fighting at all is a bonus. I don't consider not getting it worth restarting. It'd be like restarting if you aren't the one to grab the Burgundian Inheritance, or can't get Iberian Wedding as Aragon.

The Surrender of Maine fires in the first six years of the game, the two events you mention can take almost a century if they happen at all. And why would Castille (or anyone else for that matter) NOT want England and France to kick the poo poo out of each other as often as possible?

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Jamsque posted:

The Surrender of Maine fires in the first six years of the game, the two events you mention can take almost a century if they happen at all. And why would Castille (or anyone else for that matter) NOT want England and France to kick the poo poo out of each other as often as possible?

Have It Your Way and all but I can't imagine myself ever restarting for more favorable conditions as anyone larger than say Granada but especially not for the strongest nation in Europe (Turkey is not in Europe for the purposes of this statement).

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

If I declare war with the Humiliate CB, will that still allow me to peace out my enemy's allies for land or do the restrictions apply to them as well?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

If I declare war with the Humiliate CB, will that still allow me to peace out my enemy's allies for land or do the restrictions apply to them as well?

Should be same restrictions - that CB not allowing you to take land is the entire point. It's... honestly kinda useless other than for it's specific purpose. I don't think I've ever used it, other than maybe accidentally?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's not bad if literally all you want is to humiliate someone, either for the age objective or for PP. Plus it gives you the ability to Show Strength in the peace deal, which is humiliation + 100 of each monarch point, but it costs 100 warscore.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yami Fenrir posted:

Should be same restrictions - that CB not allowing you to take land is the entire point. It's... honestly kinda useless other than for it's specific purpose. I don't think I've ever used it, other than maybe accidentally?

It enables the Show Strength treaty option which is incredibly good (100% warscore cost, gain 100 monarch points in each category, get an enormous amount of PP). It's sometimes worth it to keep an isolated rival around you can farm for MP and PP.

In my Morocco game right now I'm declaring war on Portugal for the sole purpose of breaking Castile up with their allies, I'm not interested in taking any Portuguese territory so I figured maybe I could have gone with that CB and got free monarch points for it. Oh well.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I wish it let you release nations, or at least cancel their subjects. Maybe that'd be overpowered?

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

yeah, the points are nice, but... the rival system is a bit too strict for that in my opinion. Either you get a rival that is coated in allies, or someone who is too weak to rival, and so on. It just doesn't really end up being "easy" monarch points, but something you spend too much time on.

Plus, I seldom can spare the manpower to go into wars just for a bunch of monarch points. Like I said, situationally useful, but I don't end up using it in practice. But then again, I'm usually playing a very hyperblobbing kind of playstyle.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack
I have been trying tons of Golden Horde games recently trying many things from rapid expansion to pushing into Europe through Genoa and whatnot, but things did not start going really well until i started abusing the Humiliate CB on each of my Neighbouring tribes, few get allies of note and each tend to get ganged by others at one point or another meaning easy victory and essentially free 100 of each monarch points for each rival, each war. And when they get ripped apart by others and become invalid you select whoever was just at war and is probably weakened and do the same thing.

Also works very well in the HRE while waiting for Aggressive Expansion to go away.

Definitely not worth it if your Rival is massive and would take many years to subdue however.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

When do you guys start your Golden Era? So far it's in the "too good to use" category for me.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Jay Rust posted:

When do you guys start your Golden Era? So far it's in the "too good to use" category for me.

It depends on the situation. When you're in a position to launch a ton of wars at people, that's a good time to use it. I primarily use it for the morale bonus, it really is big enough to make a difference.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Okay, THIS TIME there's no mistaking it. The AI went from Kasdir, to Figuig, to Fez, then back to Figuig, back to Fez, to Oujda, to Tlemcen. Fully maintained forts along the way, all my own territory, with no enemy forts counteracting zones of control. They just walked right through my forts like they weren't even there. I was watching DDRJake's stream today and he said that they know of a bug that allows AIs sometimes to ignore zones of control, so yeah, I guess this is a thing right now.

I feel like complaining about this issue is becoming my gimmick. :v:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Okay, THIS TIME there's no mistaking it. The AI went from Kasdir, to Figuig, to Fez, then back to Figuig, back to Fez, to Oujda, to Tlemcen. Fully maintained forts along the way, all my own territory, with no enemy forts counteracting zones of control. They just walked right through my forts like they weren't even there. I was watching DDRJake's stream today and he said that they know of a bug that allows AIs sometimes to ignore zones of control, so yeah, I guess this is a thing right now.

I feel like complaining about this issue is becoming my gimmick. :v:

Those moves are all legal. You're forgetting the 2-distance rule: units can move up to 2 provinces away from a Return Province without being blocked.

Fez has a Fort, so a hostile ZOC is created in Figuig. Return Province is marked as Kasdir when they enter Figuig from Kasdir. Oujda, Figuig, and Tlemcen are all 1 distance from Kasdir, and Fez is distance 2, so those are all valid provinces that can be moved into. They wouldn't be able to move as deep as Tadla or Gharb (distance 3) without going around the High Atlas

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I really wish they'd wipe all estates for the player when starting a new game, Morocco is such a nightmare estate wise. I actually went trough the process of removing the nobility from all the spice/sugar provinces and dealt with the revolts from it, only to have a stack of 24 pretender rebels spawn, from a bugged event chain no less.

Even a year or more after their addition, I just don't like estates, they're so annoying and serve little purpose. They should either be removed or massively improved to give more ways to play with them.

Butch Banner
Dec 14, 2006
The pinnacle of masculitinity

Tahirovic posted:

I just don't like estates, they're so annoying and serve little purpose.
How can you not like free monarch points, money and bonuses?

Yes the estates are ineffectively spread out at start, but it shouldnt take long to switch it out. Just give them their new land before taking away the old, if their influence goes over 80 for shorter periods, thats not an issue.

Estates have become even better with edicts, if you give an entire state to the nobility and slap the recruitment edict, thats a 58% state manpower bonus before building any barracks etc. Same with the trade power edict in states with multiple burger provinces.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I like using estates as a way to get your freshly conquered land to start paying out much sooner, using the ones that negate tax or production autonomy. The bonuses they provide are often great, too. Not just free monarch points, but stuff like the ability to get better generals when you're in a low-AT position. In my Morocco game I used the burghers to draft some early big ships that I used to kick the poo poo out of the Iberians' fleets. In the last game version, I used Dhimmi judiciously as the Mughals as I was chewing through India. Conquer high development territory, slap the Dhimmi on it asap, and their autonomy reduction combined with +33% tax income meant I was making loads of money off of a lot of those provinces almost immediately after conquest.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Tahirovic posted:

I really wish they'd wipe all estates for the player when starting a new game, Morocco is such a nightmare estate wise. I actually went trough the process of removing the nobility from all the spice/sugar provinces and dealt with the revolts from it, only to have a stack of 24 pretender rebels spawn, from a bugged event chain no less.

Even a year or more after their addition, I just don't like estates, they're so annoying and serve little purpose. They should either be removed or massively improved to give more ways to play with them.

Maybe you should learn their mechanics before complaining about how poo poo they are? As long as you keep their loyalty above 40% they will not revolt. All you need to do is revoke them over time, not at once, since loyalty will always slowly drain/be regained to rest at 50%.

Estates are really useful.

Apart from Monarch points, you can get manpower, money, advisors, extra colonist growth, ships, papal influence etc. out of them. How is that useless?

Yami Fenrir fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Apr 18, 2017

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The cheap advisers are pretty amazing, not only are you making more monarch points than usual but the offered estate advisers are also some of the best in the game: Better Relations, Inflation Reduction, Missionary Strength, and Unrest Reduction. This prevents having to pick possibly a suboptimal adviser type or from having to dumping cash for months on end hoping for a good adviser roll

Estates easily let you supercharge your country if you understand how they work and are willing to press a button every 10-30 years. It seems like a lot of people who used to hate them have kind of come around on their usefulness even if they may still dislike the micromanagement

feller
Jul 5, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

Estates easily let you supercharge your country if you understand how they work and are willing to press a button every 10-30 years. It seems like a lot of people who used to hate them have kind of come around on their usefulness even if they may still dislike the micromanagement

This is where I am. I don't really enjoy having to assign territory to estates all the time, but I do like getting free 40 AT generals and extra monarch power.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Yes I know how to milk them too and do it before I even unpause a new game. I just don't consider the whole system interesting at all, if anything it is annoying. There's hardly any decision making, you just click the button and write down the date you can do it again. Loyalty will recover during that time, it might as well be a passive x points/month instead of a once off.
Abusing the clergy for newly conquered land isn't really interesting gameplay either, you know they'll be about as happy with the new land as they were with the old now unrest free land.

Very simple things are missing, why is the Clergy as happy about a 1/1/3 province as it is about a 3/1/1 province? Why is there no real interaction between corruption/stability/trade and the estates?

Don't worry tough, I learned from my mistake, this time I asked them for a general and manpower before I took all their land and crushed their rebellion. One war and a province later the nobility will be happy with me again and give my forts extra defense. Meanwhile I can afford extra soldiers because there's no 25% autonomy cap on my precious sugar provinces.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I have to agree that Estates should be removed from a country the player is starting as - its super annoying that they are in really dumb spots and it can take a decade to get them sorted. Same with starting forts - they are often in super stupid spots and need to be deleted and re-built.

Butch Banner
Dec 14, 2006
The pinnacle of masculitinity

Tahirovic posted:

Very simple things are missing, why is the Clergy as happy about a 1/1/3 province as it is about a 3/1/1 province? Why is there no real interaction between corruption/stability/trade and the estates?

Ah well this I can agree with, and is sort of symptomatic of how the game keeps snowballing without really taking the time to back up and review how all the new features ties together. Like, from an immersive non-mechanical perspective, im not actually sure whats supposed to be the difference between power projection, splendor, and prestige, other than its stuff that makes other nations go 'oh look at those guys'.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tahirovic posted:

Fun fact: Butua (small country in SE Africa, vassal of Mutapa) starts with the nobility controlling their capital. Since the capital completely disables any estate interaction in that province, it's impossible to revoke the nobility from there until you move your capital.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
yeah, estates are annoying and add little to the game

EU4 was really missing some kind of internal politics, but estates thing is just a boring menu and some numbers, it never feels like something that actually exists in your nation

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I have to agree that Estates should be removed from a country the player is starting as - its super annoying that they are in really dumb spots and it can take a decade to get them sorted. Same with starting forts - they are often in super stupid spots and need to be deleted and re-built.

Nice satirical post.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Fister Roboto posted:

Fun fact: Butua (small country in SE Africa, vassal of Mutapa) starts with the nobility controlling their capital. Since the capital completely disables any estate interaction in that province, it's impossible to revoke the nobility from there until you move your capital.

this is probably a bug, report it if you can be bothered

I think some of the lopsided estate setups are actually intentional though, although I dunno if that's true for Morocco. For the Mamluks though they have a super powerful nobility, which I think is meant to model some of their problems.

also here's a dev diary on the Hungary patch:

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-18th-of-april-2017.1014773/

coming out in like a week or something, that was quick. I was wondering if they were gonna hotfix out the timeline bug thing but I think in this I doubt there will be time, so I might as well go for it.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Has anyone noticed that ironman games take forever to load with this patch?

QuarkJets posted:

The cheap advisers are pretty amazing, not only are you making more monarch points than usual but the offered estate advisers are also some of the best in the game: Better Relations, Inflation Reduction, Missionary Strength, and Unrest Reduction. This prevents having to pick possibly a suboptimal adviser type or from having to dumping cash for months on end hoping for a good adviser roll

Estates are great when you're first starting out but as you get larger the micromanagement of them starts to get really tedious.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Too Poetic posted:

Has anyone noticed that ironman games take forever to load with this patch?
Estates are great when you're first starting out but as you get larger the micromanagement of them starts to get really tedious.

Yeah, starting out they are pretty strong too. The general you can get is a great starting general.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I have never played as Hungary and still probably won't but more events and poo poo never hurts. The patch coming so quickly is great since I'm holding off playing anywhere near China until they apply some of the changes (specifically, making losing the Mandate of Heaven worse, as well as some bugfixes)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
My biggest complaint about estates is that they seem flavorless and disconnected from other mechanics.

Like, estate happineses should function more like the new pop happiness in Stellaris, where they're happy based off policies and actions you're taking in game, not just random events you min-max for points estate mana bonii.

• Locked thread