Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Damnit we NEED to see a steiner/serpent alliance people!

Besides, if we don't tell the rest of the sphere, it means a high chance of Hanse Davion getting poo poo on, which is always a positive!!!

Vote option 4 today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

4uuuuuuuuuuurrrrrr

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
Could someone explain to me why 6 is a huge deal. Given that clan intelligence is supposed to be a joke shouldn't most of the Innersphere houses already know about what is going on from their own vastly better intelligence services, and even if they couldn't infiltrate task force serpent, wouldn't task force serpent have told their nominal allies in Skye, the Free World's League, and Comstar? Wouldn't Skye and FWL at least be rife with spies from other houses? Wouldn't the NRWR be aware of what was going because of all their listening posts between the Innersphere and clan space and their really good intelligence branch? Or is the issue releasing the information to the general public? I mean it might generate panic, but if the information is presented the right way it can be used to generate more enthusiasm for the war effort.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The NRWR itself probably already knows but has no real motivation to share with the rest of the Sphere, since they don't really want the rest of the Sphere knowing anything about them or what they know, and anything that weakens the houses works out for the NRWR in th elong run.

The answer to the rest of the questions is "probably not, everyone is stupid." Plus it would force the rest of them to acknowledge that hey, this poo poo is happening, maybe you don't just put your head in the sand and hope everybody else can deal with it.

LegendairyBovine
Oct 6, 2014

It's time Freddy demonstrated some Realpolitik.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also, the Inner Sphere's ability to actually gather intelligence from the Clan Homeworlds is notoriously limited less by the competence of their counterintelligence and more by their sheer isolation and distance. Which is why places like the NRWR's listening posts, or Saeder-Krupp's little operation here, were so vital.

CalvinandHobbes
Aug 5, 2004

6 for the win.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
You naive children, letting the rest of the Inner Sphere know isn't going to unite the Inner Sphere against the clans, it's going to cause the complete destruction of the Lyran Commonwealth as the opportunistic villains that always made up the Inner Sphere spend that time figuring out the best way to get their chunk while the clans eat the Lyrans.

At least, that's what I hope.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

TildeATH posted:

You naive children, letting the rest of the Inner Sphere know isn't going to unite the Inner Sphere against the clans, it's going to cause the complete destruction of the Lyran Commonwealth as the opportunistic villains that always made up the Inner Sphere spend that time figuring out the best way to get their chunk while the clans eat the Lyrans.

At least, that's what I hope.

Maybe. But those same people will know that the factions not near the Lyrans would be plotting the same against them, and then they'd have to deal with the Clans anyway. It should server as a wake up call, because they see how bad the other houses have been getting their asses kicked by just small parts of a couple of Clans. If Frederick lays it out there that they're all dead, that should get them to at least wait to back stab him until the Clans are beaten back.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

it might not save the lyran commonwealth, but neither would any of the other options and this option pokes the political beehive

Professor Malice
Nov 16, 2011

I think I will like its consequences more than 6's.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Also they aren't just hitting the Lyrans, the DracSuns will have their hands full, so it will really be "How will the Mariks end up backstabbing the Lyrans" and "What the hell are the Capellans up to" (I really want to know the answer to that last one)

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Zaodai posted:

Maybe. But those same people will know that the factions not near the Lyrans would be plotting the same against them, and then they'd have to deal with the Clans anyway. It should server as a wake up call, because they see how bad the other houses have been getting their asses kicked by just small parts of a couple of Clans. If Frederick lays it out there that they're all dead, that should get them to at least wait to back stab him until the Clans are beaten back.

Counterpoint: Everyone hates the Steiners and most Inner Sphere Machievels will think that chewing through Steiner will leave those clans weak, so win-win.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Xarbala posted:

Also, the Inner Sphere's ability to actually gather intelligence from the Clan Homeworlds is notoriously limited less by the competence of their counterintelligence and more by their sheer isolation and distance. Which is why places like the NRWR's listening posts, or Saeder-Krupp's little operation here, were so vital.

This is exactly true and the prime reason why the IS had throughly infiltrated the Invading Clans almost immediately after Tukayyid but all they knew about, say, the Star Adders is their name.

Also re: the FWL, Duncan seems like he wants to put that feud behind him. It's been the mildest front in the Inner Sphere for centuries after all.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013

TildeATH posted:

At least, that's what I hope

None of the Innersphere powers are really poised to take advantage of Lyran weakness. Almost everyone is already committed to opposing clans, Drac-Suns + Lyrans because of a mutual border, Vipers-Skye-FWL due to alliance + proximity + Knights of the Sphere non-sense, and the NRWR republic because of the dogma of the clans + Amaris. The only people who aren't committed by necessity or ideology to fighting the new clans are too busy fighting each other - the Capellan Federation, the Taurian Concordat, and the Dutchy of New Sytris - soon to be the Greater Capellan Confederation, as it should be.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
4 and 6, in that order if they cannot be combined.

It's time to reunite the Steiners with their new extended family.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
4 is great because it effectively splits the sphere in half. Skye and the serpents are already close to the FWL thanks to their help with saving Carlos Marik. Adding in the Lyrans creates a huge power opposite the Drac Suns, meanwhile the capellans are going full mad scientist in the middle.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Can someone reiterate what this version of Task Force Serpent is?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't see how you could do 4 and not have it turn into 6 almost immediately. Like if you're informing the general public or even just the military and political leadership of hundreds of worlds, how could you possibly hope to contain that information from spreading to the other factions of the inner sphere?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Synthbuttrange posted:

Can someone reiterate what this version of Task Force Serpent is?

A joint invasion zone between the Steel Vipers, Star Adders and Cloud Cobras. Allied with the FWL and Republic of Skye in the new Star League.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Their territory is old Steiner stars, so 4 probably means giving up on taking any more of it back if not giving up the successes of this invasion, and also retaking Skye at least for now.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

If all the Clans are coming in this second crusade, fair warning to you all that any missions involving Ghost Bears I'll almost certainly be rooting for Ghost Bears. Only King Dadlas on the field could hope to compete.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

While I'm personally a four+six man myself, ultimately the reason I'd rather have six over four if we can only have one is because I think the Draconis Suns is pretty drat cool and if they don't get the word, they're going to get totally boned by the next wave. Presuming the next wave is actually en route to invade the Sphere rather than waste themselves attacking the original invasion Clans. Because with the Clanners you can never really tell what dumb-poo poo idea they're going with this week. Which is pretty much what happens when your governmental system is based around who's the best at driving a 'mech in one-on-one combat rather than, you know, actual tactical, strategic, logistical, or administrative skills.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

I cannot seem to press 4 hard enough.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
5 really feels like the most compelling story. Old general martyring his career for the sake of salvaging his blunder and all.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I think that the best choice i--

Gwaihir posted:

Damnit we NEED to see a steiner/serpent alliance people!

Besides, if we don't tell the rest of the sphere, it means a high chance of Hanse Davion getting poo poo on, which is always a positive!!!

Vote option 4 today!

--s to listen to this VERY COMPELLING ARGUMENT I vote 4.

(I was in the middle of typing up a vote for a different option when I read this. Dunking on Hanse overrules all, even my FWL Partisanship.)

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
4 because reasons

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

4, why not.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
I'm all 4 this.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

6 then 6+4

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Leperflesh posted:

I don't see how you could do 4 and not have it turn into 6 almost immediately. Like if you're informing the general public or even just the military and political leadership of hundreds of worlds, how could you possibly hope to contain that information from spreading to the other factions of the inner sphere?

They're mutually exclusive for a reason.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Tran posted:

5 really feels like the most compelling story. Old general martyring his career for the sake of salvaging his blunder and all.

This is how I feel. 5, let's see what Frederick Steiner can do to patch this up where he's best suited to do it.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

I'm going to personally vote for 4. but I'm sure whatever wins will be magical.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Bulletfodder
Dec 4, 2009
Tossing my vote in for 6.

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Information wants to be free. 6. Also, think of the diplomatic bonuses Steiner will accrue with the other Great Powers

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Voting 6.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
4!

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
6 Maybe something nice will happen to the Lyrans for once.

• Locked thread