Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

IcePhoenix posted:

I think it's happened three times (Warriors d. Mavs in 2007, Grizzlies d. Spurs in 2011, 76ers d. bulls in 2012) since they moved to best of seven, but the last one one hardly counts because the Bulls best player died in game one.

The first was the 63 win Sonics losing to the Nuggets in the 1995 playoffs. This is the series where Mutumbo became famous for the finger waving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

axeil posted:

NBA idiot question: how often do 8 seeds beat the 1 seed in the first round? I thought it was usually pretty one-sided but I know jack-poo poo about the NBA other than I like watching dudes dunk and get rebounds.

It's a rare event.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

It most famously happened with the Nuggets over the Sonics in the 94 playoffs. Though that was a best of 5 format at the time. Injuries and matchup issues are pretty big in the playoffs. Also, in some years, a conference has much bigger parity than usual, for good and bad. In 2011, the West was really strong top to bottom. If the Celtics end up losing this year, they're also largely considered one of the weakest top seeds in recent history though the East on the whole has been goofy as heck with the Cavs basically sandbagging the regular season.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

chilihead posted:

The first was the 63 win Sonics losing to the Nuggets in the 1995 playoffs. This is the series where Mutumbo became famous for the finger waving.

It was five games for a first-round series then. The poster you quoted was talking about 7 game first-round series, which started in 2003.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Redgrendel2001 posted:

It's a rare event.

Go Bulls then.

Unless the Wizards match up better against the Celtics...but I'm guessing that's not the case. Who knows, I'm a stupid NBA playoff poster. Just hoping things are fun to watch.

edit: I guess the big question is, do people with better NBA knowledge than me think the Bulls can actually manage to win the series? They looked like they were the better team but it was only one game.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
It was one game and the lone person with the ability to score on the Celtics lost an immediate family member the day before. Probably don't predict the entire series on the outcome of one close game. There are however genuine concerns about the Celtics being way too small and bad at rebounding to match up against the oafish Bulls

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The bulls will outrebound the poo poo out of the Celtics. Thats not gonna change.

The bulls won off portis and butler shooting contested 3s and making them. Thats the variable.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kibner posted:

It was five games for a first-round series then. The poster you quoted was talking about 7 game first-round series, which started in 2003.

Yeah, I intentionally left out the five game series because it's a different beast. Although I think an upset in those only happened twice?

axeil posted:

Seems like it's about the same level of difficulty as being down 3-0 and coming back to win.

I'm not sure if this is a dig at the Wild but I don't really care about Hockey (I didn't even realize they weren't the one seed anymore until like a day before the playoffs) so it's a bit off the mark :)

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 17, 2017

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Wednesday is going to be "Underdog's who are up 1-0" night with all 3 games. Will be a fun night.

Cool Buff Man posted:

It was one game and the lone person with the ability to score on the Celtics lost an immediate family member the day before. Probably don't predict the entire series on the outcome of one close game. There are however genuine concerns about the Celtics being way too small and bad at rebounding to match up against the oafish Bulls

IT will Siren-Song you into high playoff seeds and quick playoff exits.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
CHI vs BOS is also one of the best coaches in the NBA vs one of the worst

I wouldn't be surprised if the series ended in a gentleman's sweep

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Bulls won a close game because Bobby Portis played like an all star instead of a replacement level NBA player. That won't happen again.

That being said I want to watch the Bulls crush the Celtics dreams live so bad so go bulls bitch.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

CHI vs BOS is also one of the best coaches in the NBA vs one of the worst

I wouldn't be surprised if the series ended in a gentleman's sweep

I mean, Brad Stevens is young and has a lot to learn, but I wouldn't call him one of the worst....

elime anning
Nov 19, 2002

Morbid Hound
I feel the need to represent the 8 seed Knicks defeating the 1 seed Heat in 1998-99.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiJJCnrCX3I

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Lockback posted:

IT will Siren-Song you into high playoff seeds and quick playoff exits.

I've been saying the same thing for a while, so I entered these playoffs like a much quieter Raptors fan. It's way too easy to find a way to stack the deck against the Celtics and bully them if you have size and I really didn't want them playing the stinkin' Bulls. Fred Hoiberg has done it again. I still think they scrape by in the series due to blind homerism though

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Paul Zuvella posted:

The Bulls won a close game because Bobby Portis played like an all star instead of a replacement level NBA player. That won't happen again.

That being said I want to watch the Bulls crush the Celtics dreams live so bad so go bulls bitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6urRX_szKQ

No Bobby Portis slander allowed.

---

The thing that would worry me if I was the Celtics would be your team is complete garbage when IT isn't on the floor.

That Celtics team reminds me of the Rose Bulls teams

Rose/IT will get his and go off, but if the game is close in the 4th Lebron/Jimmy will shut down their best player and then proceed to dominate as he is the best player on the floor.

The Bulls also had a bad Mirotic, and Wade game. That's the thing about this dumb loving Bulls team. Is outside of Jimmy, and Lopez everyone else is inconsistent as gently caress. So you got a good Portis game. If he has a bad game Wade might have a throwback game. If he has a bad game Mirotic might hit some of his 35 foot shots etc etc.

I mean outside the fact the Bulls are gonna win in 4 games obviously, I still wouldn't worry too much about it if I was the Celtics

Dexo fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 17, 2017

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Yeah I would be worried as a Celtics fan because that was not a notably good game from the Bulls. Because they're trash, they'll probably play four worse games in the series and still lose, but they basically had three players playing very well and got the win.

Butler and Lopez need to stay consistent for the team to have a chance, and then the rest of the riff raff needs to time their sporadic good games efficiently

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The Bulls have lost too many series where they won game 1, sometimes losing the next 4 games in a row.

A 1st game win from the Bulls mean nothing for the past 7 years.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

xbilkis posted:

Yeah I would be worried as a Celtics fan because that was not a notably good game from the Bulls. Because they're trash, they'll probably play four worse games in the series and still lose, but they basically had three players playing very well and got the win.

Butler and Lopez need to stay consistent for the team to have a chance, and then the rest of the riff raff needs to time their sporadic good games efficiently

I mean, the Bulls got to the line and they had 20 offensive rebounds. I think the games are going to be messy slugs no matter what, and what I think you want is to get to the line and get as many garbage points as humanely possible. In seriousness, I suspect the Bulls aren't able to replicate that and Boston retakes the upper hand.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Lockback posted:

I mean, the Bulls got to the line and they had 20 offensive rebounds. I think the games are going to be messy slugs no matter what, and what I think you want is to get to the line and get as many garbage points as humanely possible. In seriousness, I suspect the Bulls aren't able to replicate that and Boston retakes the upper hand.

Bulls were one of the better OREB teams and Boston one of the worst.

That Offensive Rebound stat isn't too out of line with how the season played out.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Y'all forgetting the power of TNT, the network that 3 of the first 4 games in the series are played on. Bulls just need to steal that ESPN game to clinch the sweep

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dexo posted:

Bulls were one of the better OREB teams and Boston one of the worst.

That Offensive Rebound stat isn't too out of line with how the season played out.

They average 12 a game and got 20, that's a nice performance. Basically, the Bulls need free throws and 2nd chance points to win, and they got a lot of them last night and squeeked through. Maybe they'll keep getting a lot, but I expect them to regress somewhat in later games and they'll be in trouble.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Which of the underdogs do you guys feel might actually move on? The Bucks looked dominant to me, but I've seen them play like poo poo for no reason before too. Game 2 will tell us a lot.

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

I met Mike D'Antoni in a movie theater a while ago during the knicks years, he was very cool. So I have to pull for the Rockets at least until the WCF

Watching the Rockets after the Warriors game, im baffled that the Warriors dont just run a spread pick and roll almost every time down the court. I feel like the few times they did it against Portland they got wonderful shots, but Steve Kerr is trying to get too cute and way overthinking it

I get that they have like the best offense of all time according to ORtg, but they should have like FAR AND AWAY the best offense of all time considering the personel. Does someone smarter than me have stats on how many points per possession they get when they do their typical post up + offball cuts as opposed to pick and rolls

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

I will say that Robin Lopez is great in the playoffs when he can get away with being dirty and physical. 14 and 11 with 8 offensive boards.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Leon Einstein posted:

Which of the underdogs do you guys feel might actually move on? The Bucks looked dominant to me, but I've seen them play like poo poo for no reason before too. Game 2 will tell us a lot.

If Gobert can come back, Utah. If not, the Bucks looked like Toronto had no good answer for them. I expect Toronto to figure it out, because the team is too talented, but the Bucks are a handful.

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

I met Mike D'Antoni in a movie theater a while ago during the knicks years, he was very cool. So I have to pull for the Rockets at least until the WCF

Watching the Rockets after the Warriors game, im baffled that the Warriors dont just run a spread pick and roll almost every time down the court. I feel like the few times they did it against Portland they got wonderful shots, but Steve Kerr is trying to get too cute and way overthinking it

I get that they have like the best offense of all time according to ORtg, but they should have like FAR AND AWAY the best offense of all time considering the personel. Does someone smarter than me have stats on how many points per possession they get when they do their typical post up + offball cuts as opposed to pick and rolls

It's hard to quantify like that, because in a given possession most teams try several looks before taking a shot. It's not like when you run a play you say "these guys do this and then you take a shot no matter what". You usually go through several looks, and a shot like a post-up usually happens because the P&R or cut was defended and your running out of shot-clock. That's why ISO and Post-ups are used so much, they result in a shot after a few seconds no matter what.

For Golden State, they moved away from the P&R because it cost them a championship last year, as they weren't able to deal with the switches. So this year, they expanded out their repertoire, and can use the spread P&R in more selected situations and not let opponents get used to switches.

I am not saying this to be glib or insulting, but their offense worked, even after Durant went down. I would be hesitant to critique it too much given how effective it was. Also, this first round they are going to be focused on getting Durant back up to speed. The round will look closer than it actually is, if they are ever in trouble they'll just flip the switch and crush Portland (see Quarter 4).

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Sigh. #TNTBulls is only for regular season home Thursday night games.

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

Lockback posted:

It's hard to quantify like that, because in a given possession most teams try several looks before taking a shot. It's not like when you run a play you say "these guys do this and then you take a shot no matter what". You usually go through several looks, and a shot like a post-up usually happens because the P&R or cut was defended and your running out of shot-clock. That's why ISO and Post-ups are used so much, they result in a shot after a few seconds no matter what.

For Golden State, they moved away from the P&R because it cost them a championship last year, as they weren't able to deal with the switches. So this year, they expanded out their repertoire, and can use the spread P&R in more selected situations and not let opponents get used to switches.

I am not saying this to be glib or insulting, but their offense worked, even after Durant went down. I would be hesitant to critique it too much given how effective it was. Also, this first round they are going to be focused on getting Durant back up to speed. The round will look closer than it actually is, if they are ever in trouble they'll just flip the switch and crush Portland (see Quarter 4).

If I'm remembering correctly the issues last year came primarily because if they switched a PG on to Green, he couldn't take advantage of them, so they'd just use wings that could do a decent job of guarding Curry on Green (or the occasional heroic Kevin Love effort) and hide their bigs on Harrison Barnes or Andre Iguodala. This year the Warriors have Kevin Durant, who you cant stash a big man on, and if he's setting the screen you can't switch a PG onto him.

Also McGee, goofy as he is on defense, is a pretty great roll man due to the threat of him catching lobs. It'd be tough to guard him with a wing, since he'd probably get a bunch of offensive rebounds. In the Portland game they ran a spread PnR with Klay and McGee and it resulted in an uncontested layup, but then they never went back to it.

I'm not criticizing it too much, I think they're gonna have a relative cakewalk to a championship, but I'm curious how the team's offense would look if they stuck to the PnR heavy approach of last year given the addition of Kevin Durant

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Dexo posted:

Sigh. #TNTBulls is only for regular season home Thursday night games.

We control the #narrative now and won't let you take this from us!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Kibner posted:

We control the #narrative now and won't let you take this from us!

I knew about it when it was an injoke on Bulls Twitter. Now it's an actual thing, and commercialized. #TNTBulls sold out.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's Bulls fan appropriation

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

If Nurkic is able to play, do you guys think GSW will play Zaza or Javale against him in crunchtime or do you think they will stick with Draymond and hope to P&R Nurk off the court?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

It's hard to measure. Curry isn't the greatest PNR player, neither is Klay. Their best playmaker is Draymond, which is why they run the post ups. They want Curry and Klay doing stuff off the catch where they are murderous. The ball screen actions they do run are usually early offense drags and double drags where Curry doesn't have to do much dribbling or passing. He is very good at these.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I'd prefer them win but here's My sadistic dream:
Raptors get swept. Celtics get swept. Casey gets fired. Boston gets the 4th pick.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

The Bulls have won like 20 something straight on TNT though, haven't they?

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

the rockets offense is basically entirely dependent on James Harden being insanely good at running the pnr and generally being a great decision maker and passer, I don't think it works as consistently with almost any other player. I think to defend the Rockets you basically need a ton of athletic and long guys who can defend relatively well and not get totally exposed on Harden switches, and then force him to beat people 1 on 1. If you're letting him get switched off to say, Enes Kanter, it isn't going to be pretty. But most teams don't really have the personnel to do this.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I wish the Bulls would just go away.

Unfortunately Butler is too freaking good.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 17, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Man the more I look into this dumb bulls team the more confused I get.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CHI/2017.html

How in the gently caress were the Bulls the 6th best defensive team(Points allowed, and Drtg) in the league this year. Can someone smarter than me look into this. Because whoo boy does the Eye test completely fail me on that one.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Offense as a whole is on the up this season. It's harder than ever to be a good defensive team.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

AggressivelyStupid posted:

The Bulls have won like 20 something straight on TNT though, haven't they?

Only at home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

G-Hawk posted:

the rockets offense is basically entirely dependent on James Harden being insanely good at running the pnr and generally being a great decision maker and passer, I don't think it works as consistently with almost any other player. I think to defend the Rockets you basically need a ton of athletic and long guys who can defend relatively well and not get totally exposed on Harden switches, and then force him to beat people 1 on 1. If you're letting him get switched off to say, Enes Kanter, it isn't going to be pretty. But most teams don't really have the personnel to do this.

Hell Durant or Ibaka are long, quick and lean,....looks at Thunder roster.... :russbus:

• Locked thread