Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I don't know why people are making GBS threads on this episode, I thought it was a good time.

I think the sheer quality of the first 3 episodes has set a very high bar which is probably a lot of it. It would be amazing if it could stay at that level but there's naturally gonna be dips here and there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Yeah, I admittedly would've liked a scene where the Scotsman somehow managed to wound Aku with his claymore before he bit the dust (:v:), which causes Aku to start freaking out at the thought that there are people besides Jack who can potentially kill him.

Granted, I also thought the scene before that was a clever little bit of "show, don't tell": when Aku finally comes out of his fortress for the first time in ages, instead of shapeshifting himself into something like a mighty dragon or rampaging bull, he... Just becomes a featureless ball. It's still effective, obviously, but without having to fight Jack, he's just completely lost his creativity. Whether he wants to admit it or not, ever since his feud with Jack started, he's nearly become nothing without him.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
The Scotsman dying comically and anticlimactically while mouthing off to someone vastly more powerful than him, and then immediately shrugging off death was pretty much perfect and I wouldn't have it any other way.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

If the next episode isn't good I'm giving up on this show. Two bad episodes I can live with,but the third time's not the charm.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

VolticSurge posted:

If the next episode isn't good I'm giving up on this show. Two bad episodes I can live with,but the third time's not the charm.

The episodes were good, actually.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VolticSurge posted:

It's a 10 episode series that's half over.

also the episodes were good and not bad

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Tupperwarez posted:

Yo internet, I'm gonna need an EXTRA THICC Aku comic with the Scotsman's daughters, TIA.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Also how the hell did Aisha even get out of those cuffs they looked like they were literally crushing her hands and feet. She just kinda slipped out like that skin tight clothing is her actual body.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

EagerSleeper posted:

the dialogue wasn't the most complex

the dialogue has never been complex, hell there are a number of episodes in the original series where nobody really talks

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

VolticSurge posted:

good thing there haven't been any bad episodes

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Also how the hell did Aisha even get out of those cuffs they looked like they were literally crushing her hands and feet. She just kinda slipped out like that skin tight clothing is her actual body.

I just assumed what they'd latched unto was her latex suit and her hands and feet weren't really being crushed tbh.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Episode was good.

Dear Goon complaining about it and the one before being bad, what are you even talking about?

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

mandatory lesbian posted:

the dialogue has never been complex, hell there are a number of episodes in the original series where nobody really talks

I know that, so I am saying that Samurai Jack's dialogue has never been it's really strong point (but there are super good zingers occasionally that make up for everything), so an episode that focuses on dialogue might fall flat on people. I personally thought this episode was serviceable, but I'm just trying to understand the POV of people that may not have been wowed.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
I re-watched the episode just now. We should unofficially name it "Dad Good".

Scotsman chewing out his daughters for not covering up? He Dad good.
Scotsman throwing himself in front of Aku so his daughters can retreat safely? He Dad good.
Jack showing Ashi the true state of the world? He Dad harsh, but good.
Jack telling Ashi a bedtime story? He Dad good.
Jack going to the rescue of kidnapped children? He parental instinct good.
Jack traumatized by hundreds of children getting seizures and collapsing? He... get mixed signals on fatherhood. Maybe take rain check first.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I don't know why people are making GBS threads on this episode

It's TVIV, that's what we do. :shobon:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Regalingualius posted:

Granted, I also thought the scene before that was a clever little bit of "show, don't tell": when Aku finally comes out of his fortress for the first time in ages, instead of shapeshifting himself into something like a mighty dragon or rampaging bull, he... Just becomes a featureless ball. It's still effective, obviously, but without having to fight Jack, he's just completely lost his creativity. Whether he wants to admit it or not, ever since his feud with Jack started, he's nearly become nothing without him.

People are pissed about the Scotsman, but I really do think it was the right move. He leads a gigantic army of his own children when he's well into his 70s and in a wheelchair for one last charge, and Aku obliterates him in a second and doesn't even enjoy it. If anything, he's more bored than before, because there wasn't really anything they could do to challenge him.

Aku is the real victim here, when you think about it :(

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

People are pissed about the Scotsman, but I really do think it was the right move. He leads a gigantic army of his own children when he's well into his 70s and in a wheelchair for one last charge, and Aku obliterates him in a second and doesn't even enjoy it. If anything, he's more bored than before, because there wasn't really anything they could do to challenge him.

Aku is the real victim here, when you think about it :(

Evil Dictator Lives Matter

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I for one enjoyed that there was a ton of buildup to the scotsman's appearance and he died immediately. I literally laughed out loud at it.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Yeah that was the high point of the episode.

Also lol at the people going WHY DIDN'T HE CHECK FOR A PULSE yes let's expect rational behavior at all times from the guy who has very clearly been depicted as being pretty drat crazy already to the point of talking to apparitions. That wasn't him snapping, that was the last shred of sanity he had left disappearing like a fart in a breeze.

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

I think a big theme of this season is that mortal human's serving Aku are way eviler than the big guy and the weight that puts on Jack. Aku sees a crazed old man in a wheelchair swinging a sword at him and his first impression is to try and direct him home. Meanwhile some rando leather daddy is turning children into murder slaves with mind control chips and electrocuting a young woman to death.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://vtt.tumblr.com/tumblr_ooi6ji0o061tks34p_480.mp4#_=_

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

You know I'd be kind of interested to see this season end with old men Jack and Aku meeting again and just talking out their poo poo because they're just sick of it.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

The size of the Scottsman's family explains his wife's stoutness. Their combined potency probably made them all be born at the same time too, and she was powerful enough to survive each and every one of them while callin her hubby a nancy milk drinker for not bundling them all fast enough.

Rodyle posted:

holy poo poo was the black rider not just another figment but actually THERE the entire time? Like, it's an actual apparition?

Considering we live in a world of magic and what-not, where Scotsmen can exist as force ghosts, there is a possibility that Jack's greatest danger is that his own madness could either manifest as physical creatures or that they existed before Jack and he's somehow cursed in a way. Blue Jack could exist as a REAL thing! He did notice Ashi's disappearance in Episode 4 before Jack did afterall!:tinfoil:

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 17, 2017

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I imagine there will be more parallels made between Ashi and the Scotsman daughters.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I'm wondering if Aku just finally gives up and approaches Jack, asking him to just end it... And cracks way harder than Jack did when he finally realizes that he lost the sword.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

EagerSleeper posted:

I know that, so I am saying that Samurai Jack's dialogue has never been it's really strong point (but there are super good zingers occasionally that make up for everything), so an episode that focuses on dialogue might fall flat on people. I personally thought this episode was serviceable, but I'm just trying to understand the POV of people that may not have been wowed.

oh sorry mate, i misunderstood your point, i agree with this

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

mandatory lesbian posted:

oh sorry mate, i misunderstood your point, i agree with this

It's cool, no worries. ;)

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Simplest theory: Guy on the horse was Death, Jack finally gave in to follow him to the afterlife, Ashi gonna track him down and kick Death's rear end to get him back.

This is gonna be great. :allears:

e: so is Ashi and Scotswoman teaming up :getin:

Chokes McGee fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 17, 2017

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Not to be that goon, but like why would you assume jack knows how to take heir pulse, or that they'd have a pulse at all?

They are furry blue aliens they could have wood instead of bones or something just chill out

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also if a bunch of children suddenly writhed in unspeakable pain and collapsed in front of me, I'd probably lose a bit of my cool too.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Also if a bunch of children suddenly writhed in unspeakable pain and collapsed in front of me, I'd probably lose a bit of my cool too.

Also also also also also also also also also also also also also! Ashi's kind of a work in progress case on getting deprogrammed on that whole 'Living weapon, kill the samurai' purpose. So after seeing the fuzzy blue monsters screaming in pain and every single one of them collapse it's not too much a stretch to think that she decided to kill them to solve the problem.

Still a shame that he snapped immediately. If he'd been able to hang on for another ten seconds he would've been golden.

Or not. I bet the shock of things would've given him a stroke, honestly.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

VolticSurge posted:

In what way? This last episode was kinda on the nose, but it wasn't what I would call bad, even compared to the previous episodes.

Share with us. Perhaps there is something people are missing, like that one video that explains why the Cinematography in 'The Room' is actually cool and good.

https://youtu.be/BD-YZbeajeY

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 17, 2017

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I enjoyed the Scotsman Daughters and any daughter'll tell you Dad jabs at your outfit is a criteria for Dad/Daughter relations. :allears:

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I enjoyed the army made of Herculoids. Also, Moltar really turned into a jerk. Also loved seeing Zorak walk by in the preview for next episode, Aku really does like relocating interstellar criminals!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The creepy Space Russian's smile was literally chilling in an otherwise pretty lighthearted episode.

Visually the scenes where someone is moving towards the camera are consistently stunning, particularly this Ep with Ashi on the sea dragon' back.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

A dude posted:

J.A.B.C. posted:

In what way? This last episode was kinda on the nose, but it wasn't what I would call bad, even compared to the previous episodes.

IMHO the last two episodes were good but not as mega-awesome as the first ones. I guess the initial momentum is wearing off.

Anyway, here's my hypothesis for the Dark Rider: it's Jack from an alternate timeline.

Let's say that, soon after the first series ends, Jack discovers a time portal. However, using the portal would come at a horrible cost. Like, say, it's an Ancient Magical Artifact, and the artifact is shielding a peaceful village from Aku's gaze (which is why Aku thinks he destroyed all the time portals). Jack refuses to allow the village to be enslaved and does not use the portal. However, in a Bioshock-ish twist, an alternate timeline is created where Jack uses the portal, goes back in Time and kills Aku. However, that Jack is saddened by the thought of this timeline remaining enslaved, so he travels to this one, waiting for this Jack to become deadened enough to do what must be done.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 17, 2017

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

brocked posted:

I enjoyed the army made of Herculoids. Also, Moltar really turned into a jerk. Also loved seeing Zorak walk by in the preview for next episode, Aku really does like relocating interstellar criminals!

Here's hoping Space Ghost shows up to interview Aku.

"So! You're an ancient evil sorcerer demon... thing. What's that like?"

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

IronSaber posted:

Here's hoping Space Ghost shows up to interview Aku.

"So! You're an ancient evil sorcerer demon... thing. What's that like?"

*Space Ghost becomes disinterested and starts following a ladybug*
*Loses his poo poo when Mother crushes it*
"YOUR DAUGHTERS ARE MORONS!"

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

What about Samlab 2021?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Regalingualius posted:

What about Samlab 2021?

They just fight over the rules of what robots they can be for 22 minutes, then the scene explodes.

• Locked thread