Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
Maybe "Sarah" was using the doves to communicate with the departed? Those notes were written by them, she went crazy when she figured out how to communicate with them and she's spent the rest of her life trying to figure out how to meet her kids?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

HanabaL03 posted:

Holy poo poo. What an episode.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

HanabaL03 posted:

Holy poo poo. What an episode.

For real. I have to say, I laughed when the dramatic music cut out when Dean was explaining the dogs turning frogs gay infiltrating the government. That was a good bit of levity before the tragic struck. :smith:

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
A fantastic first episode. I'm so happy this show is back.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The parts of this episode that were like "Hey let's justify why like six major characters from the previous seasons probably won't be around anymore" felt a little awkward to me, particularly the sudden missile strike. It kind of felt like something out of a different show to me.

Otherwise I dug it.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Did Kevin try to kill himself, only to be saved by divine intervention again?

What happened to Lily?

Why shred the money? I get that they don't want to profit off it but why not donate it?

No intro at all this season?

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Here's a great article on the first episode of Season 3 and some minor spoilers for future episodes. http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/damon-lindelof-leftovers-season-3-994432?utm_source=twitter&utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

El Jeffe posted:

This is the one thing I was looking forward to the most. drat you for making us wait another week, Lindelof.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Thom and the Heads posted:

A fantastic first episode. I'm so happy this show is back.

Only 7 more :(

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

gently caress that was good. As usual, Kevin's confused reactions are my favorite.

What?

I want to believe that wasn't literally Nora in the future but it probably was.

Really wanted an intro but next week is fine.

Edit: vv poo poo, and that. Probably the same thing as Nora's arm. Ugh next week.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 17, 2017

Scurvy
Dec 28, 2002

Add me to the list of people wondering what happened to Lily.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
God drat.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Scurvy posted:

Add me to the list of people wondering what happened to Lily.

I wonder if this will be left intentionally unexplained, a complete mystery even when the show is done.

(And yes, I actually do want to find out what happened to Lily too, and I think it would be better if we do find out.)

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

Onomarchus posted:

I wonder if this will be left intentionally unexplained, a complete mystery even when the show is done.

(And yes, I actually do want to find out what happened to Lily too, and I think it would be better if we do find out.)

No way they don't give us an answer when they had characters bring it up in the first episode.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Woo!! What an episode!! This one hosed with me big time.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
I'm thinking the point of the "Sarah" part was to let us know from the beginning that the world is not actually ending in 13 days.

El Jeffe posted:

Did Kevin try to kill himself, only to be saved by divine intervention again?

What happened to Lily?

Why shred the money? I get that they don't want to profit off it but why not donate it?

1. Maybe, but there was no earthquake.

2. Maybe her real mom somehow got her back? Tommy knew who her real mom was.

3. Maybe to remove the temptation of profit?

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Apr 17, 2017

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
This show is so drat good. Goddamn.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I think it's interesting John is doing the 'palm reading' thing now, considering he roughed up the palm reader last season.

Also curious as to where Erika is. I don't think she even got a mention aside from when John was talking about when he was 25.

I was interested seeing Dean come back again, but yikes, I was NOT expecting that at all.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Also curious as to where Erika is. I don't think she even got a mention aside from when John was talking about when he was 25.

She was already planning on leaving John, their daughter betraying them and then dying probably pushed that process along even further.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Lord Krangdar posted:

She was already planning on leaving John, their daughter betraying them and then dying probably pushed that process along even further.
Her father committing suicide in the same time-frame certainly couldn't have helped matters either.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Raxivace posted:

The parts of this episode that were like "Hey let's justify why like six major characters from the previous seasons probably won't be around anymore" felt a little awkward to me, particularly the sudden missile strike. It kind of felt like something out of a different show to me.

Otherwise I dug it.

That the government gives absolute no fucks about massacring cults and the guilty remnant is something that has been long established in the show.

On an unrelated note, brilliant casting for the starting sequence:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millerism

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

joepinetree posted:

That the government gives absolute no fucks about massacring cults and the guilty remnant is something that has been long established in the show.
It still feels a little off to me in how it was executed, but that's a valid point.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Yeah, I figured she left during the three year gap.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
There's something so sad that John and Laurie have just grown comfortable in this life of lying to people now. That was actually one of the saddest things that stuck out to me in the premiere.

Le Saboteur fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 17, 2017

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Le Saboteur posted:

There's something so sad that John and Laurie have just grown comfortable in this life of grifting people now. That was actually one of the saddest things that stuck out to me in the premiere.

That's not what happened. They were trying to give people closure and then shredding the money. This time she's using John very, very much like she used to use Tommy. A supernatural version of therapy. As I recall, there was also an explicit instruction to hug given.

I bet I also I missed something(s) in the new episode. The show is meant to be rewatched or at least mined for all these little details.

Titan
Jan 14, 2002

joepinetree posted:

The three (?) scenes we've seen so far shows the government and especially the ATF is taking a firm kill em all approach to cults. We see them open up on Holy Wayne's compound without warning. They have that giant processing plant we see where the bodies of the GR and other cult members go. Shooting a hellfire at their little hide out didn't seem that crazy to me. Especially after Meg's speech about the tiger biting the magicians. They are even renamed the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, Explosives, and Cults.

The approach makes me want to see a wider glimpse of what the US has become post-departure. Is it pretty much the same except they take a more direct approach towards cults, militias, and domestic terrorists in general? Is it a police state now?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Why are we spoiling? Isn't this a 'live' thread?

This episode was pretty great. I really hope the fate of the GR isn't some kind of fakeout. I hope we're done with them.

They're basically terrorists so it was pretty drat satisfying.

The idea of a Gospel Of Kevin is pretty drat funny too.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Erika must have Lily, right? Did Nora give her away or did Erika take her?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I hope they constantly tease the departed returning, but they never do throughout the whole season. Then the last shot of the show is the camera zooming through a field towards a man walking with his back turned. Finally the camera catches up to him and he stops and turns around and it's Gary Busey.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
For such a grim show sometimes, I sure laughed at many things this episode: Gary Busey, "You mean 'paws'", Matt's burning bush story, and others. That use of that Simon & Garfunkel song was pretty brilliant.

I'm still tickled that this premiered on Easter Sunday.

And that ending sure gave this final season a different spin than I was expecting. They played it really well too since it looked like it could've been Garvey Sr. for a while. I liked that they set up Nora riding the bike earlier in the episode.

joepinetree posted:

Titan posted:

The three (?) scenes we've seen so far shows the government and especially the ATF is taking a firm kill em all approach to cults. We see them open up on Holy Wayne's compound without warning. They have that giant processing plant we see where the bodies of the GR and other cult members go. Shooting a hellfire at their little hide out didn't seem that crazy to me. Especially after Meg's speech about the tiger biting the magicians. They are even renamed the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, Explosives, and Cults.

The approach makes me want to see a wider glimpse of what the US has become post-departure. Is it pretty much the same except they take a more direct approach towards cults, militias, and domestic terrorists in general? Is it a police state now?

Speaking of this, one of the religious sects that came from the Millerite movement--and the debacle of "The Great Disappointment"--were the Branch Davidians AKA Vernon Howell/David Koresh AKA Waco. And we all know how that ended.

Sound familiar when we're talking about how the government has dealt with the Guilty Remnant and other post-Sudden Departure groups?

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Anyone else find themselves turning off HBO shows before the preview of the next week's show? There's no way I'm not seeing the show next week. The guy who plays John continues to be one of the most dynamic actors I've ever seen.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Anyone else find themselves turning off HBO shows before the preview of the next week's show? There's no way I'm not seeing the show next week.

I actually love spoilers and salivate during the credits waiting for it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Anyone else find themselves turning off HBO shows before the preview of the next week's show? There's no way I'm not seeing the show next week. The guy who plays John continues to be one of the most dynamic actors I've ever seen.
I sometimes do that. Back when Lost was airing I remember there being a podcast that was so hardcore about avoiding spoilers that the hosts wouldn't even watch the "previously on" segments before new episodes and even went out of their way to avoid learning the names of the episodes before watching them. They were pretty committed.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

joepinetree posted:

One of my nitpicks with last season's finale - as good as it was - was that, on the anniversary of the Departure, the US Government would not have increased security at a national park directly connected to the event and known to attract zealots. We know the feds take a brute force approach to new wave religious movements in the post-Departure world (don't forget the ATFEC guy in Season 1 implied to Kevin that they could "took care" of Mapleton's GR branch,) you mean to tell me they really would not be in a perimeter around the park armed to the teeth, and that they'd entrust security to local law enforcement and a handful of park rangers? Or that they wouldn't mobilize troops as soon as somebody parked a suspected bomb on the bridge and initiated a countdown?

The opening scene was a nice resolution to my pedantry. They might not have been prepared for Meg's stunt, but they sure as hell weren't going to let it go.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 17, 2017

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I don't mind them, because for HBO it's usually vague 'in the next weeks' stuff, and yesterday's preview didn't give away anything that hadn't already been given up in the promos.

Seconding the love for John. Kevin Carroll has some serious chops.

Also, a fun little article about the Busey balloon:
https://www.google.com/amp/www.indiewire.com/2017/04/the-leftovers-gary-busey-balloon-season-3-departed-1201805544/amp/

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
Overall a decent episode.

Maybe the Lily story is tied to Nora's broken arm?

I don't get why John is clinging to the belief that Evie is still alive, but it must mean that she is.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Aexo posted:

I don't get why John is clinging to the belief that Evie is still alive, but it must mean that she is.

Why does that necessarily have to be true :confused:

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Evie totally survived a bomb dropping on her head.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Aexo posted:

Overall a decent episode.

Maybe the Lily story is tied to Nora's broken arm?

No, she's dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Aexo posted:

The entire show has been about people unable to process grief after loss where there's no physical proof that anything happened to them other than simply vanishing, so now John is established as a character who has definitive proof of his loved one's death (There was at least enough left of Evie to confirm her dental records,) yet ironically refuses to accept it. It's a natural evolution for his character - John wasn't able to process the idea that Evie left of her own volition three years ago, why would he now accept her second sudden and far more permanent departure from his life?

I know it's going to be important to where his character's story is going - but this early on, who knows where that's going to be.

Also why the hell haven't the cleaned up the crater in the ensuing three years? Lawsuit interference? Or did the ATFEC leave it there intentionally as a "warning" to people coming into Jarden?

• Locked thread