Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

A delayed game will eventually be good. A bad game is bad forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Your bad forever

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Screaming Idiot posted:

that is what theme park tannoy announcements are for

"Would Sonic the Hedgehog please report to the security office? Sonic the Hedgehog please report to the security office. We found your... uh... your keys! Yes that's it, we found your keys. No need to be ready for a trap as we only want to return your keys."
"Please beware of the spikes on the asteroid coaster, they are sharp. Really? We have to warn people about spikes? Like they won't notice the spikes, I mean, come on! The cars are nothing but spikes! Unbelievable! What... Wa... My... My what is still on?"

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 17, 2017

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

a.lo posted:

You're bad forever

:colbert:

:(

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

DizzyBum posted:

A delayed game will eventually be good. .

Unless it isn't

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Augus posted:

Unless it isn't

Which means it was still a bad game and should have been delayed. :colbert:

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Phew good thing Mighty No. 9 was delayed repeatedly for like an entire year :yeah:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

imagine the state of it if it had come out there and then

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

The best thing to come out of Mighty No. 9 was the initial gameplay concept image. It was all downhill from there. :(

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Death is certain

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

DizzyBum posted:

A good game will eventually be good. A bad game is bad forever.
FTFY

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

FZeroRacer posted:

I'm willing to bet the 3rd character is going to be an OC that you create.

It's really starting to feel like this is going to be the case once we put all the "It's Bubsy!" stuff aside.

How deep can they actually make a character creator for a game like this though? Is every OC going to have to look proportionally similar to Sonic? Does your OC need to inherently run fast?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I wouldn't mind some Sonic 3 style connecting cutscenes, assuming you can even call them that. Those remain great. I still enjoy the Marble Garden to Carnival Night transition, descending into the carnival at dusk.

I would be very angry if they added in-game cutscenes that break up the flow. Pre-boss cutscenes always strike me as desperation, though I guess Sonic Mania doesn't need to build up some badniks.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
There's nothing mentioning where the cutscenes will be, they could just be Sonic CD style intro/outros.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I was hoping for Sonic 3-style cutscenes, but I like hand-drawn animation even more. They're both good, as far as I'm concerned.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Do we know how many levels Mania will have? A Sonic 3 & Knuckles length would be nice.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

If they released it when they originally said, they would've had to split it into two games. The latter would be a standalone DLC with Lock-On Technology.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

SeANMcBAY posted:

Do we know how many levels Mania will have? A Sonic 3 & Knuckles length would be nice.
Originally it was supposed to be "longer than any 16-bit game" though Webber recently said it would be a "proper Sonic length".

I assume he means S3&K since Mania's levels are according to the producer supposed to be Sonic 3 style.

So yeah we have no idea and I don't think they do either. Probably ten zones.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

DizzyBum posted:

A delayed game will eventually be good. A bad game is bad forever.

This quote worked better before games could be patched.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Spacebump posted:

What kind of patch could make Mighty Number Nine not a disappointment?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Screaming Idiot posted:

What kind of patch could make Mighty Number Nine not a disappointment?

the patch that makes it launch a rom of mega man x in an unlicensed snes9x environment, like bubsy did

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Spacebump posted:

Pretty sure that quote never worked, given we have things like DNF / crowdfunding / early access / etc.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Spacebump posted:

And now pretty much all games are released as paid betas.

At least that's what it feels like at times. Don't get me wrong, I think the benefits definitely outweigh the drawbacks. It's good that game-breaking bugs on console titles can actually get fixed.

SupSuper posted:

Pretty sure that quote never worked, given we have things like DNF / crowdfunding / early access / etc.

DNF was amazing and widely praised and fondly remembered in a parallel universe when it was actually released in early 2001.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

DizzyBum posted:

DNF was amazing and widely praised and fondly remembered in a parallel universe when it was actually released in early 2001.

Remember that this is the universe where Daikatana was released in 2000.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The third character will be revealed to be the new SOAP shoes mascot and will announce that SOAP shoes is back in business. The last third of the game will be Sonic and the player watching a two hour presentation about the exciting world of SOAP shoes and the kinds of things you can do with them followed by information of how to become a door to door sales representative like people who do Avon make up

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Why are the Sonic news sites picking up the amazon pre-order date as meaningful. It's a placeholder to placeholder thing.

Mine doesn't even say september fourth, it says august 29th, omg Canadians must get mania early???

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Seems the comic series is done for good

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2017/04/more-on-the-cancelled-comic-issues-archie-to-provide-update-to-subscribers/

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I doubt Western comics in general are going to be considered a growth industry anytime soon.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

D'oh. Is Mega Drive done too?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

That's kind of a shame. It was the longest running comic that was related to video games, right? Even though Archie had a lot of poo poo that took a complete universe reboot to fix, it's sad to see the end of it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Clearly they should save the series by establishing a Sonic Cinematic Movie Universe.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

that's not what the article says.

I understand not getting your hopes up and reading between the lines, but let's wait until the actual death sentence maybe.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Where's sonic(mania), string?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Just watch as Sonic gets picked up by DC and folded into their cinematic universe.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

Just watch as Sonic gets picked up by DC and folded into their cinematic universe.

Finally we can answer the age old question: who is faster, Sonic or the Flash?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Finally we can answer the age old question: who is faster, Sonic or the Flash?

I believe you mean, what is the secret identity of the strange, grimdark figure, Red Tail, that has stalked Sonic ever since the tragic loss of his sidekick during the Amy pregnancy scare arc. (this will not be resolved due to a continuity reboot)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

reverse sonic

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

This was probably an actual thing in the Archie Comics at one point to be fair.

Like wasn't there an issue where the entire story was told in reverse or something?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Sonic tapping into the Speed Force.

:flashfact:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

omg

omg I love Dr. Robotnik

That's actually kinda sad. Yeah, the comic was usually bad and insane and basically created a whole generation of furries, but I used to love it when I was a little kid. It's the longest running video game comic ever. At least let it go till issue 300 or whatever and give it some closure.