Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

Like, which ship is recommended to use with a fighter bay.
It depends on how you want to use your fighter and what type of combat you expect: if you just do REZ fighting and go after single target, you can use a Keelback and park it somewhere while you fly around.
If you are planning on doing actual combat with maybe an AI copilot controlling the fighter, you will want at least a Federal Gunship or go straight to the Anaconda, since the other smaller ships that can carry fighters aren't exactly well-suited for combat.

As for fighters, you have to pick between three types, each with its own set of loadouts: the Taipan is the tankiest and looks/sounds cool, the GU-97 is fast and sleek but very fragile and the Condor is too fragile to be picked over the former and not maneuverable enough to be picked over the latter. :v:
All weapons work well, but given how agile they are you'll want to stick with fixed weapons: fixed beams on fighters are vicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

NoneMoreNegative posted:

A new puzzler in Galactic news

Will probably be solved by this time tomorrow :o:

That's a scavenger hunt across the various moons and bodies of Sol I've ever seen one.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

radintorov posted:

It depends on how you want to use your fighter and what type of combat you expect: if you just do REZ fighting and go after single target, you can use a Keelback and park it somewhere while you fly around.
If you are planning on doing actual combat with maybe an AI copilot controlling the fighter, you will want at least a Federal Gunship or go straight to the Anaconda, since the other smaller ships that can carry fighters aren't exactly well-suited for combat.

As for fighters, you have to pick between three types, each with its own set of loadouts: the Taipan is the tankiest and looks/sounds cool, the GU-97 is fast and sleek but very fragile and the Condor is too fragile to be picked over the former and not maneuverable enough to be picked over the latter. :v:
All weapons work well, but given how agile they are you'll want to stick with fixed weapons: fixed beams on fighters are vicious.
Just an addendum to this: the Condor is working properly now as of 2.3. It's still not really my cup of tea to fly (go fast in straight line, gently caress you if you want to turn or drift) but the NPC pilots have no problems with them and the fixed multicannon variant of the Condor is an unholy terror in RES bounty hunting as it puts out a ton of kinetic damage and means you can lean more towards lasers and worry less about ammo.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

So, I was hunting down where the Steam version of Horizons stores its keybind files. I've made some modifications to my setup to account for a bunch of the new systems and functions, and the only files I can find with recent "last modified" dates have version numbers after them (eg MouseKB.2.0.binds). Granted, I think the folder I'm looking at is the right one because that MouseKB.2.0.binds file says it was just modified. But, despite there being a bunch more preset configs in-game, in that folder there are only my custom ones from before they handed out steam keys. They're in C:\Users\[myusername]\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings but all the other binds with recent modified dates are in [steamfolder]\Elite Dangerous\Products\FORC-FDEV-D-1010\ControlSchemes.

:frontear:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Well, poo poo. 5000 ly out from SOL on a short exploration run in the DBX to see if I can cap off my Elite Explorer badge and I end up at the Crescent Nebula... The system I land in has been explored before so I pick the next one over at random.

[Jumping to Medium Security system]

WTF, not anarchy like every other system outside inhabited space!?

:prepop:

:eyepop:

wow, I feel like a real actual discovered-a-thing explorer :)

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

That's really cool, congrats

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
Can't find the link to voicecomms/chat for Diamond Frogs/goons

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

CountingWizard posted:

Can't find the link to voicecomms/chat for Diamond Frogs/goons

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773251

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
So the Commander update sounds like a fair bit of fun.

I saved up a bunch of cash doing Robigo runs in an Asp to get a FDS. I like the pew pew, but I kinda miss the long journeys. Combining the two sounds like fun...

How feasible is it to get an Asp and upgrade the components with Engineers to make it a viable combat ship? It'd be great if they did a big version of an Asp and added a fighter bay...

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
I suspect you'd need dirty drive 5 to make a combat asp work, and getting to palin for level 5 thrusters is a hell of a grind. One of the starting fsd engis does thrusters 2 or 3, that might give you what you need to deal a few of the less squirrely bastards.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Got my ensign rank today and fitted out a multicannon gunship with a fighter bay. poo poo is legit.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Wow, so I was doing random passenger missions around the Diamond Frogs and Ross 584 (cause I bought ships there), shipping people between stations. Also did a few random 3 stops for multi millions. Then read that Quince has a station with a point of interest .19ls away. So I headed over there and checked it out, decided to ship my type6 over after I realized I didn't need the luxury cabin in my dolphin as much as I needed lots of cabins total. Been filling 4 cabins with 500-900k per cabin for a quick 5 minute flight. Now strongly considering picking up a type 7, since I could load that up with 6 cabins that are slightly bigger for 20m or so.

Also let a scan go through while I had a criminal on board, so I get the random interdiction attempts and gotta blow heatsinks to avoid getting killed for that bounty now. So it's staying interesting, instead of a completely mindless grind. Though it's such a short trip, you don't have time to look away either.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

DONE. Anyone mentioning the idea of a fourth Elite is a crazy person spreading lies.

Also, what i can only assume is an asteroid base, a few posts up looks neat.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Okay :frontear: I'm done with these constant adjudication server errors and random disconnections now. :smith:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Hey if I get a keelback with a fighter bay can a friend hop in and control the fighter?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Glenn Quebec posted:

Hey if I get a keelback with a fighter bay can a friend hop in and control the fighter?

You'd think that would be the case but the Keelback is one person only. :frontear:

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Hey does a 2D turreted mining laser exist now, or does the turreted version only come in tiny?

edit: VVV Gunship, probably, if Keelback's a no-go VVV

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 17, 2017

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Oh what the gently caress. I'm sorry for these super noob questions -- what's the least expensive ship that allows me to experience multicrew with fighters?? A loving anaconda lol

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Glenn Quebec posted:

Oh what the gently caress. I'm sorry for these super noob questions -- what's the least expensive ship that allows me to experience multicrew with fighters?? A loving anaconda lol

Keelback.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I thought that you couldn't do that because it's a single seater. Or did I misunderstand?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Glenn Quebec posted:

I thought that you couldn't do that because it's a single seater. Or did I misunderstand?

You didn't misunderstand, he just doesn't read before he posts :allears:

Cheapest thing you can experience multicrew fighters in is a Federal Gunship. I have a fit that I'll post once I can get to a desktop, but the discord warriors could probably do you even better

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I'm assuming that the federal gunship is a federation only ship. In which case I have no ranks in it and gently caress me that's kind of pricey.

So, in theory I could slap turrets (lol) on a vulture and we could go bounty hunting together? Sorry I'm just trying to wrap my head around this.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Glenn Quebec posted:

I'm assuming that the federal gunship is a federation only ship. In which case I have no ranks in it and gently caress me that's kind of pricey.

So, in theory I could slap turrets (lol) on a vulture and we could go bounty hunting together? Sorry I'm just trying to wrap my head around this.

Cheapest multicrew sans fighter is the Adder, but a Cobra III or IV might be a better bet. Fighters are all in stupid expensive ships, or the keelback.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I haven't played For ages, since just after the Vulture came out but how is the Asp Scout for exploring? The Explorer was just out of my price range and i like the look of the Scout.

How is the Viper IV and Cobra IV for bounty hunting too? They look quite neat.p e; apparently the cobra is an exclusive ship?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Glenn Quebec posted:

http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Multicrew

Here's a list of ships, with # of seats and fighter capability, all in the one convenient place.

If you want to fly with a multicrew gunner, you just need a ship with 2 or more seats (presumably outfitted with some turrets or whatever, so the other person will have something to do).

If you want a multicrew fighter pilot, you'll need a ship with 2 or more seats AND a fighter bay.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Glenn Quebec posted:

As everyone else has said, if you just want to do gunnerbro stuff right the gently caress now, you got plenty of options (I personally wouldn't recommend a vulture since it's pretty much built for fixed weapons). But if you want to try fighters, the cost and rank on the Funship aren't really obstacles unless you let them be. You can print credits with in-bubble passenger sightseeing missions, and fed rank can be quickly ground in Ochosi through data delivery missions (both of these get explained pretty often in the thread and in discord, you'll only have to go back a few pages to find a more detailed guide)

Edit: this is Merc's multicrew anaconda fit crammed onto a gunship for a fifth the price. The idea is to vent heat from the missiles through the engineered large beam. You won't have access to all the engineered poo poo yet, so you'll be able to cut costs even further with a cheaper power plant. Just run regular seekers until you get pack hounds, and an extra heat sink or two until you get the thermal vent mod. For fighters you probably want a multicannon condor (for your NPCs to dish out kinetic) and a plasma repeater taipan (for human pilots to have fun in). I'm pretty new to this too, so there's probably other tweaks to be made, but it'll get you started.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 17, 2017

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

You didn't misunderstand, he just doesn't read before he posts :allears:

Cheapest thing you can experience multicrew fighters in is a Federal Gunship. I have a fit that I'll post once I can get to a desktop, but the discord warriors could probably do you even better

Oh poo poo yes, I completely forgot you also need more than one seat for multicrew, gently caress.

OK that officially blows, then. Still, kind of funny that you can experience multicrew in Adders and Cobras, but fighters? gently caress you, pay money for a bigger ship.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
At that point why not just wing up with smaller ships? You'll be more effective and get better rewards. The only real downside is no instant travel to the same location.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I've only scraped together like 12 mill in the game so far. So, I think we will be rocking a cobra and doing some lightweight ratting and other odd jobs. Thanks for the advice tho and links to the Ed page with the multi crew ships.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Libluini posted:

Oh poo poo yes, I completely forgot you also need more than one seat for multicrew, gently caress.

OK that officially blows, then. Still, kind of funny that you can experience multicrew in Adders and Cobras, but fighters? gently caress you, pay money for a bigger ship.

Super duper blows! The only reason I had that answer and fit ready to go is I was in the same place as them pre-Quince. The current assignment of seats and fighters to the midrange ships makes NO sense

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

If you have three people who are not so rich you could have two jump in an adder, cobra etc. And fly and gun. Have the third grab the keelback and have them fly with the A.I. fighter. That seems like the most effective grouping.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

You cannot wing and multicrew at the same time.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

I haven't played For ages, since just after the Vulture came out but how is the Asp Scout for exploring? The Explorer was just out of my price range and i like the look of the Scout.

How is the Viper IV and Cobra IV for bounty hunting too? They look quite neat.p e; apparently the cobra is an exclusive ship?

The Asp-S is basically a bigger, bulkier, more expensive Cobra-3. Roughly comparable internal spaces and core systems to the Cobra, similar armaments (if better positioned).. much bigger a target. There's honestly no real reason for the Asp-S to exist yet, which is a complete shame - maybe if it had a fighter bay and a C5 internal or something it'd have a role.

If you want a cheaper exploration ship, though, the Diamondback-E got itself a buff in this update - they added a bit of internal space and lightened the hull to match, which directly boosted its maneuverability and jump range. Compared to the Asp-E, it now has superior jump range and maneuverability and is considerably cheaper to purchase and outfit, at the cost of flexibility - your internal spaces are somewhat more limited, which really makes the DB-E suitable only towards exploration and maybe light combat roles (it's still the cheapest and smallest ship in the game with a C3 gun mount).

The Viper-IV, meanwhile, is basically a Viper-3 with a heavier hull, more internal space, a bigger frameshift drive and a more powerful power plant. Sadly, while they upgraded the thrusters to compensate, it's still much slower and clumsier than the Viper-3. It's kind of a pig to handle for a combat ship, but looks cool and is nicely flexible - with all that internal space it's more of a light multipurpose vessel that's gonna push the occasional pirate's poo poo back in. Personally I prefer the Viper-3's speed and maneuverability (especially with the new racer-issue drives, which you can't even put on the Viper-4), but it's an OK ship to fly.

The Cobra-IV meanwhile is an even fatter and clumsier Cobra-3 with an extra C1 gun mount and some more internal space. It makes for an okay-ish mining ship and packs a surprising amount of dakka for a small ship, but remains thoroughly unimpressive for an 'exclusive' design.

I just realized that if you stopped playing around the Vulture's release, you haven't even tried the Diamondback series yet. You might want to give the DIamondback Scout a look for a bounty hunting ship - it's basically a bigger Eagle. Supremely nimble, beautiful gun convergence, cool looks, big fuel tank and hefty FSD for a combat ship. I've worked my way up to a Python and still have my DB-S in storage for the occasional poo poo-and-giggles run.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Boogalo posted:

You cannot wing and multicrew at the same time.

Lmao this loving game. Why even make that a thing?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Glenn Quebec posted:

"O hay there wing of 4 anacondas/'vettes/cutters each with full gunnery crews and player-piloted fighters, we couldn't possibly conceive of a threat capable of handling your level of coordination so you'll never exist!"

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Glenn Quebec posted:

It's like the core of the games engine is single player and multiplayer is shittily hacked onto it.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Xae posted:

the core of the games engine is single player and multiplayer is shittily hacked onto it.

ftfy

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

It just dawned on me that with three players unless we are in three separate vehicles or one single 3 crew vehicle. We won't be able to play together. Lmao. A hearty lmao.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

GrandAdmiralThrawnBob from The Official Frontier Forums posted:

It just dawned on me that with three players unless we are in three separate vehicles or one single 3 crew vehicle. We won't be able to play together. Lmao. A hearty lmao.

I want to read this whole thread; brown sea link plz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Drake_263 posted:

I just realized that if you stopped playing around the Vulture's release, you haven't even tried the Diamondback series yet. You might want to give the DIamondback Scout a look for a bounty hunting ship - it's basically a bigger Eagle. Supremely nimble, beautiful gun convergence, cool looks, big fuel tank and hefty FSD for a combat ship. I've worked my way up to a Python and still have my DB-S in storage for the occasional poo poo-and-giggles run.

My fetish adoration for DBS kept in check, one thing to keep in mind is that it, like the DBExplorer, runs very cool: heat is never an issue unless you try really hard to engineer it that way.

• Locked thread