Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I must be out of the loop by not having a PS4/Xbone, but Zelda is jaw droppingly gorgeous to me. I'm continually flabbergasted by how good it looks, so I don't understand this kind of talk.

I'm not one to get too focused on resolutions or frame rates, but there were a few things that bothered me. There was a weird haze during a lot of the game, presumably to hide the not great draw distance of the details? Even after the framerate patch things actually seemed to have gotten worse, at least for me. Instead of the frame rate being lovely in some areas my game was coming to a literal stop for seconds at a time.

I don't know why, but the snow areas had a green'ish tint and I also remember some of the Death Mountain areas getting a weird tint that didn't seem to fit the area. I had just got a Samsung KS8500 and thought my TV was broke. After checking some PS4 games those looked great though.

I don't know, I just don't think it was visually impressive and not even talking about the style of the game. I was playing docked the entire time, I guess maybe it looks better in handheld mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Zelda's art style is great and also very deliberately disguises things like the trees looking like World of Warcraft assets because the very simple look fits the style. However there are some noticeable jaggies and bad textures. The pop-in is atrocious too, in some fields and wooded areas you can literally see flowers appearing like three feet away from you. It still looks really really good because the folks making the game did a top notch job.

The haze is really loving bad though but I don't think it's a performance thing because it doesn't actually obscure anything, it just makes the game look washed out. It's weird.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's silly we're not getting that Disney collection tomorrow. Ughhhhh.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I must be out of the loop by not having a PS4/Xbone, but Zelda is jaw droppingly gorgeous to me. I'm continually flabbergasted by how good it looks, so I don't understand this kind of talk.

People are talking how it looks in a graphical sense, not it's aesthetic. The game is aesthetically beautiful and looks when you're up close to stuff but everything in the distance is pretty muddy, 900p at 30fps sucks and there's noticeable pop-in. It's limitations of the hardware and they pushed the Switch as far as it can go, but pulling out the Sheikah tablet to zoom into anything in the distance looks like god drat poo poo.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Played Neo Turf Masters today: it's good. Also pretty much finished BotW so I guess I'm playing through shovel knight next.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ya'll I'm, playing Wonder Boy right now. YEAHHHHHH.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Do you always have to enter your password to browse the eShop? Or is there anyway to set it to keep you always logged in?

Shards of Fate
Apr 19, 2002

They look like monsters to you?
I've had no problems with my Switch since launch date. Today I took it out from my bag, and from its pouch while it was in sleep mode and the thing was heating up with the fans going on overdrive. Any idea what caused this?

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Shards of Fate posted:

I've had no problems with my Switch since launch date. Today I took it out from my bag, and from its pouch while it was in sleep mode and the thing was heating up with the fans going on overdrive. Any idea what caused this?

Maybe it's waking up from sleep mode while in the bag? The fans will stay on in sleep mode if the console is too hot. I had to turn on the "3 button press to resume" thing back on to stop mine from doing that.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Do you always have to enter your password to browse the eShop? Or is there anyway to set it to keep you always logged in?

There's an option to change it in the eShop settings.

I love the lighting in Zelda. They did an amazing job capturing the open air feel. Horizon Zero Dawn looks technically miles better than Zelda but that game isn't very pleasing to look at for me personally. It reminds of those HDR wallpapers that used to be a huge thing a decade ago.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

s.i.r.e. posted:

People are talking how it looks in a graphical sense, not it's aesthetic. The game is aesthetically beautiful and looks when you're up close to stuff but everything in the distance is pretty muddy, 900p at 30fps sucks and there's noticeable pop-in. It's limitations of the hardware and they pushed the Switch as far as it can go, but pulling out the Sheikah tablet to zoom into anything in the distance looks like god drat poo poo.

I'm just behind the curve then by sticking only with Nintendo consoles; plus I was indeed confusing the aesthetics with graphics. Good to hear about things Nintendo will maybe bring in 10 years though, lol.

I guess I have noticed some of that but it was more like a "huh, that's weird" and it never bothers me. Sometimes it'd be nice to start gliding toward a tower and have a little more time to alter my trajectory after I see 3 electric Wizzrobes pop in though.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Does the full version of Puyo Puyo Tetris have the option to increase AI difficulty? All I've found in the demo is the handicap setting, and all that seems to do is make my pieces drop faster.
I've read elsewhere that traditionally in the Puyo games the harder AI characters are at the bottom so I guess try that.

I've resorted to playing 1v3 against the bottom row of characters. It's generally still not consistent enough of a challenge but it can keep things interesting or at least have the games going longer than 1v1. Or could try playing against Puyo but I haven't tried that myself, the potential for Puyo garbage is pretty massive so if the AI is good enough that should be fun.

Can't wait to get my rear end beat online, haven't been able to find anyone among my friends that can remotely challenge me. One handicap I did was swapping left/right joycons...which still wasn't a huge handicap when I didn't have to rotate a piece. Another would be the alternate control schemes, cause there's no explanation for them.

japtor fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 17, 2017

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SeANMcBAY posted:

There's an option to change it in the eShop settings.

Thank god, thanks.

I'm just behind the curve then by sticking only with Nintendo consoles; plus I was indeed confusing the aesthetics with graphics. Good to hear about things Nintendo will maybe bring in 10 years though, lol.

I guess I have noticed some of that but it was more like a "huh, that's weird" and it never bothers me. Sometimes it'd be nice to start gliding toward a tower and have a little more time to alter my trajectory after I see 3 electric Wizzrobes pop in though.

It's all really minor poo poo and as someone who loves running games maxed out at 1080p/60FPS on his computer it didn't matter. Art style goes above and beyond graphical flair and Nintendo always delivers in spades when it comes to art. BOTW is amazing regardless of it's resolution and frame rate, but when the frame rate really took a poo poo before the patched it, I got headaches if I was in low fps area too long. Though, having said that, I'd love to play BOTW somewhere down the line at full 1080p/60fps and less pop in. Probably gonna have to be through emulators.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

s.i.r.e. posted:

Ordering Mario Kart 8 Deluxe from Target gets you a Switch/Mario Kart branded Rubix Cube for some reason:

Can anyone find a target.com confirmation of this?

All the sites I find end up linking to that imgur picture or to a reddit post that links to that imgur picture. Meanwhile target.com makes no mention of it that I could find and my local Target was unaware of any such item, and a bit surprised because normally they'd get preorder cards a month in advance if they were going to do preorder somethings but they had nothin' for MK8D.

I'm worried this may be a hoax, because I for one did intend to get MK8 physical, and also I've no objections to patronizing Target.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The Splatoon 1 preorder bonus at Target was a repurposed water gun with a Splatoon sticker and a Wii U sticker on it, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was true.

(I have that water gun. It owns.)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Hammer Bro. posted:

Can anyone find a target.com confirmation of this?

All the sites I find end up linking to that imgur picture or to a reddit post that links to that imgur picture. Meanwhile target.com makes no mention of it that I could find and my local Target was unaware of any such item, and a bit surprised because normally they'd get preorder cards a month in advance if they were going to do preorder somethings but they had nothin' for MK8D.

I'm worried this may be a hoax, because I for one did intend to get MK8 physical, and also I've no objections to patronizing Target.

It's not a hoax unless it's from Nintendo themselves because I screencapped that image from a Nintendo email. They link to the order page for MK8D on Target's site but the site has no mention of it so I don't know what the deal is. But the offer is from Nintendo directly.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Before the years end we'll be seeing no damage full clears of BOTW.

DDR needs to come out on the Switch so somebody can beat BOTW using the pad

Yikes A Zombie!
Jul 18, 2003

When I found out Spelunker wasn't just a misspelling I was hurt

:negative:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
i bought a Vita for Spelunky, was worth it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/edmundmcmillen/status/853342805652983808

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

ChrisBTY posted:

You too huh.
I'm not getting a Switch at market price before the fall of western civilization am I?

Lol my card just got blocked because I tried to buy my some theatre tickets the same day as a Switch :downsgun:

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

s.i.r.e. posted:

Yeah, if you're interested in current-gen state of the art graphics, go look at Horizon Zero Dawn. Zelda looks spectacular for something from 2012.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If the Isaac amiibo unlocked Platinum God I would buy it instantly.

I'd still buy an Isaac amiibo regardless, but still..

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Shards of Fate posted:

Something managed to hit the power button and wake it up, once its like that it probably kept awake from different inputs until you found it. I'd say if you're not putting it in a case to power it off to keep that from happening again.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

A hypothetical isaac amiibo should just come with miscellaneous goo that you have to put in the figure so that it's leaking constantly

edit: or just be a tiny mr. potato head with a tons of collectible poo poo you can get for it.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

mike12345 posted:

Yeah, if you're interested in current-gen state of the art graphics, go look at Horizon Zero Dawn. Zelda looks spectacular for something from 2012.

We've hit diminishing returns pretty hard on sweet graphics, I think art direction is way more important than specs nowadays, though I concede 60fps is way, way better than 30fps.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Armor values of 50+ seem to neuter pretty much every enemys damage in botw down to the minimum quarter heart.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lemming posted:

We've hit diminishing returns pretty hard on sweet graphics, I think art direction is way more important than specs nowadays, though I concede 60fps is way, way better than 30fps.

30 fps is fine for zelda, the only thing i could really say need that level of responsiveness in the game is the dodge flurry and parry systems but dodge flurry windows are already badly implemented in other ways like triggering off of really weird criteria so its nbd

I also think realistic graphics have still made huge strides. Uncharted 4 and hzd were, in different ways, so far beyond everything else on ps4 visually that im very hopeful mario can have some anti aliasing if nintendo really wanted

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
hey guys the switch is still insanely good

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

eonwe posted:

hey guys the switch is still insanely good

hell, agreed

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Played some Fast RMX at lunch today. Game owns.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Switch Owns day 45: switch owns

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
holding out for redout

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Switch Owns day 45: switch owns

I'm actually starting to run into that "hard shutdown" issue-- sometimes when I put it to sleep, when I go to wake it up it won't respond to the home button, and when I hit the on-console on button to wake it up it's shut down BotW (haven't seen the issue with other games, yet). I've never had it happen before but it happened like 3 times over this weekend.

p. glad that I always save before sleeping the console but not super happy with this particular turn of events

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Started a super lucky run of BoI during lunch today. Eagerly looking forward to playing on the train and then on the tv.

Got the diaper that lets me poo poo bombs for every 3 seconds of uninterrupted fire.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I've barely been following Switch news but I heard Spla2n got a July release date and was wondering if that's going to have a bundle

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Lakbay posted:

I've barely been following Switch news but I heard Spla2n got a July release date and was wondering if that's going to have a bundle

yes, a heaping bundle of fun :D

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

If you want a super good Isaac run
M393 X367

Buy the ? item in the 1st Shop
Go into the first Devil Room that spawns

Enjoy.

Here's a Pyromaniac run as well because explosions are good
TRGY J4MQ

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

My only real complaint with the controls for Zelda is the dodge counters, which seem random and arbitrary as hell. Parrys seem really consistent and are satisfying, though. I'll do a perfect dodge and not trigger a counter, then other times I'll dodge an attack a second or two early and far out of the way in no danger and trigger it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Who wants to play video games?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYXzXBbFKOY

• Locked thread