Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Deteriorata posted:

The Renegade generally outscores the Crosstrek in reviews. Yes, it's a Jeep (made by FIAT) so it's going to be less reliable than the Subaru, but compared to how much you're already spending, the extra cost in maintenance isn't going to be all that much.

Buying a car is like buying a pair of shoes. If it doesn't fit, you're going to hate it and resent every penny you spend maintaining it.

Every car is going to need maintenance, and the difference between the best and the worst isn't very big. Get what you like and have fun with it.

There's the best, the worst, then FCA. The number of people I know with FCA lemon law experience on fiat based products is getting ridiculous. This isn't about cost, it is about your car being in the shop all the loving time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

nm posted:

There's the best, the worst, then FCA. The number of people I know with FCA lemon law experience on fiat based products is getting ridiculous. This isn't about cost, it is about your car being in the shop all the loving time.

My experience with FCA products has been quite different from yours, apparently.

ETA: Edmunds seems to agree with me:

2016 Jeep Renegade True Cost to Own: $26,506
2016 Subaru Crosstrek True Cost to Own: $30,282

So whatever issues the Jeep may have, the Subaru will likely be worse.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 17, 2017

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Deteriorata posted:

My experience with FCA products has been quite different from yours, apparently.

Were your products made and designed by Fiat or Chrysler? Like the RWD products and some of the tracks aren't made, but the fiat based ones have some issues. The renegade is made in Italy and mostly is a fiat.

TCO doesn't take into account real problems because they are covered by warranty. There is no cost. Only not having your car, setting up a tow truck, and fighting FCA for lemon law buyback.

nm fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 17, 2017

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

nm posted:

Were your products made and designed by Fiat or Chrysler? Like the RWD products and some of the tracks aren't made, but the fiat based ones have some issues. The renegade is made in Italy and mostly is a fiat.

Mostly Chrysler, as FIATs had not been sold in the US for 30 years. I currently own a FIAT, however.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The Fiata isn't quite the comparable car though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

The Fiata isn't quite the comparable car though.

Wait, is his fiat the one one made in Japan? That's kinda cheating.

Big City Drinkin
Oct 9, 2007

A very good

Fallen Rib
I have a question about what to do about my old car, which I'm definitely getting rid of. It's a 2000 Audi A4 and is seriously the biggest piece of poo poo on the planet. CEL always on, oil pressure warning (though two mechanics have said there's no actual issue), awful interior condition, all speakers blown, battery dies in about 3 days if not driven (any battery; I've replaced many), only working lock is on the trunk (which can open the doors), weird herky-jerky revving issue when stopped in drive, auto dimming mirrors blew up and leaked auto dimming stuff all over, coolant and oil leaks, window regulator acting up (after having replaced it once already), hood pneumatic rod thing won't stay up, etc. The list goes on but I can't remember everything. It also needs to pass emissions soon and that'll probably cost > $1000 to get done. There's no way I'm doing that.

But! It runs and I still use it for grocery shopping on the weekends. But it's a junker, right? I'm thinking I should just call a scrap guy to come take it away instead of trying to trade it in or sell it. Is that my best option?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Big City Drinkin posted:

I have a question about what to do about my old car, which I'm definitely getting rid of. It's a 2000 Audi A4 and is seriously the biggest piece of poo poo on the planet. CEL always on, oil pressure warning (though two mechanics have said there's no actual issue), awful interior condition, all speakers blown, battery dies in about 3 days if not driven (any battery; I've replaced many), only working lock is on the trunk (which can open the doors), weird herky-jerky revving issue when stopped in drive, auto dimming mirrors blew up and leaked auto dimming stuff all over, coolant and oil leaks, window regulator acting up (after having replaced it once already), hood pneumatic rod thing won't stay up, etc. The list goes on but I can't remember everything. It also needs to pass emissions soon and that'll probably cost > $1000 to get done. There's no way I'm doing that.

But! It runs and I still use it for grocery shopping on the weekends. But it's a junker, right? I'm thinking I should just call a scrap guy to come take it away instead of trying to trade it in or sell it. Is that my best option?

What to do with it depends a bit on whether or not you need to replace it immediately. A dealer would take it off your hands as a trade-in, may not be interested as a straight sale. As a trade-in they'd just wholesale it and it would be someone else's problem.

The car is maybe worth $1000 as is, its scrap value might be $400-$500. You could try a Craig's list ad for $1000 as a parts car and take $800, maybe. From what you describe I would feel awfully guilty fobbing it off on someone who intends to drive it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Big City Drinkin posted:

Any running car is worth $1000. Someone (stupid) will buy it for about that even if you disclose issues (which you should). Scrap is probably $400.
List it for $2000.

Unload My Head
Oct 2, 2013
2K is probably a stretch if it needs that much work, but never doubt craigslist. There are a lot of people out there who need a cheap pile to get around, and it's tax season so they have a nice $1500 check in their pocket.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Big City Drinkin posted:

This sounds like an average 16 year old Audi.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Unload My Head posted:

2K is probably a stretch if it needs that much work, but never doubt craigslist. There are a lot of people out there who need a cheap pile to get around, and it's tax season so they have a nice $1500 check in their pocket.

You list it for $2000 so they'll offer $1000.

Edit: can you sell it without emissions? In CA, you have to gave a smog cert, which would lead me to scrap if it needed anything beyond sensors to pass.

nm fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 17, 2017

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Some states (like CA) still have a cash-for-clunkers style program going on also. That might give you the best cash to hassle ratio.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

ShadeofBlue posted:

Some states (like CA) still have a cash-for-clunkers style program going on also. That might give you the best cash to hassle ratio.

Yeah, I forgot about that. My buddy made a lot of money retiring an old clunker that wouldn't pass smog. More than he could have sold it for.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Proposed Budget: Trading in Tacoma that I owe $18k on
New or Used: New
Body Style: Sedan with a trunk don't care about door amount
How will you be using the car?: Driving to work and for leisure
What aspects are most important to you? MPG

-----------------------

I currently have a 16 Tacoma, I want to get rid of it as I no longer live in a arctic wasteland but instead a sunny sunshine state.

I'm looking for a sedan, around 20k. What do you guys reccomend the most? The Civic or the Accord or the Corolla or a Impresza or a Mazda3?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Empress Brosephine posted:

-----------------------

I currently have a 16 Tacoma, I want to get rid of it as I no longer live in a arctic wasteland but instead a sunny sunshine state.

I'm looking for a sedan, around 20k. What do you guys reccomend the most? The Civic or the Accord or the Corolla or a Impresza or a Mazda3?

The Mazda3 probably gets recommended the most. Personally, I'd go with a 2 or 3 year old Mazda3 Grand Touring with activsense to get the adaptive cruise and whatnot. My recommendation for you would be to test drive the Civic, Accord, and the Mazda3 as they're all good cars for different reasons.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

-----------------------

If MPG is seriously all you care about, look at a Prius or other hybrid. Any of the cars you listed would get lower MPG but probably be a lot more fun to own and drive, so test out a bunch and see what you like. The Mazda3 tends to be a good compromise of economy and drivability.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
does the mazda3 have any of those safety features new toyotas have?

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I have a '14 hybrid Camry and I like it. Very smooth ride, nice pep when you floor it, looks good. Extremely reliable so far -- I've put in $50 in maintenance (scheduled, oil change) and maybe $350 in gas over the past year.

45mpg in 40 to 80 degree weather. Drops to like 38 mpg once it hits 20 degrees or below.

The only mark against it is an inability to fold the back seats down -- if you're going to IKEA, you'll need to rent/borrow a truck.

Based on your choices, I'd say it doesn't really matter. If you're inner city consider getting a lightly used compact (I'd go with Chevy Cruze or Prius). Otherwise, I hear the newer Impalas are pretty sweet. Hard to go wrong with an Accord or Camry either -- they're both class-defining models.

DNK fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 17, 2017

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh yeah I forgot about those. I guess the other thing i'm interested in is a good audio system; right now I have the basic Toyota one and it's underwhelming, so if I went with Toyota i'd prob make sure to get the premium one. I was thinking Carolla XSE I think it's called? I dunno, if Mazda or Honda have similiar i'd be fine with that too.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

does the mazda3 have any of those safety features new toyotas have?

I don't know which safety features you're talking about. You can get the Mazda3 with adaptive cruise, blind spot warnings, automatic braking, lane departure control.

You really just need to drive the ones talked about and make a choice that way.

I seem to recall that most in this thread aren't too enamored of the Corolla.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah fair enough I'll test drive em all. Leaning towards the mazda right now, never had one and I liked the Tacoma for what it was but....meh

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Thermopyle posted:

I seem to recall that most in this thread aren't too enamored of the Corolla.

The Corolla isn't a bad choice, per se, but it's lagging behind most of the competition in the small economy car segment in a lot of ways. It'll likely be a reliable, relatively cheap new car but you're paying the Toyota brand tax to get a car that is technologically older with worse driving dynamics and a less well-appointed interior than something like a Mazda 3 or the new Honda Civic.

For someone who wants "just a car" it's completely adequate, but the value proposition and engineering/design modernity isn't quite on the same level as the competition at the moment.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'll stay away from the corolla then. Guess Honda or Mazda for me

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I'll stay away from the corolla then. Guess Honda or Mazda for me

Try one and see for yourself, though. Coming from a Tacoma, you may feel right at home in a Corolla. That it's the latest, greatest whatever matters less than it being something you actually like, rather than something you feel like you're supposed to like.

How practical or roomy does it need to be? Being in a warm, sunshiny state may make a convertible attractive. If you're not in a hurry to buy, take your time and learn what's available.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
poo poo I'd love to have a convertible but the only thing in my range is a Mazda sport or whatever it's called but I'm too tall for one :(

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Just go drive some different cars. Certain cars look good on paper, or have a bit of a following in this thread (Mazda, which honestly I don't care for personally). Everyone is different though. Auto enthusiast care about different things than people who view their cars as appliances.

I think Hyundai and KIA are making some pretty nice cars right now. I'm personally a bit of a Ford Fanboy, but that's just my personal preference right now. I don't love the Focus in the compact segment though.

Go check out the Elantra, it can be kitted out really well and gets pretty solid gas mileage. The Sonata isn't a bad midsize option either, but if you shop midsize, lightly used Ford Fusions can be had for a huge discount.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

skipdogg posted:

Just go drive some different cars. Certain cars look good on paper, or have a bit of a following in this thread (Mazda, which honestly I don't care for personally). Everyone is different though. Auto enthusiast care about different things than people who view their cars as appliances.

I think Hyundai and KIA are making some pretty nice cars right now. I'm personally a bit of a Ford Fanboy, but that's just my personal preference right now. I don't love the Focus in the compact segment though.

Go check out the Elantra, it can be kitted out really well and gets pretty solid gas mileage. The Sonata isn't a bad midsize option either, but if you shop midsize, lightly used Ford Fusions can be had for a huge discount.

Explain some of this a little more please so I can learn a bit. Why don't you care much for Mazda, and why is the Focus not a good option in the compact category?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Michael Scott posted:

Explain some of this a little more please so I can learn a bit. Why don't you care much for Mazda, and why is the Focus not a good option in the compact category?

The Focus transmission is awful. It's supposedly less awful now, and those of us dumb enough to have one have a 7 year / 100k mile warranty on the transmission for free from Ford, but it's still bad.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

The Focus transmission is awful. It's supposedly less awful now, and those of us dumb enough to have one have a 7 year / 100k mile warranty on the transmission for free from Ford, but it's still bad.

Looking forward to this thread in a bit.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been living in 2004; kias arent poo poo anymore?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Michael Scott posted:

Personal preference, that's it.

I've been living in 2004; kias arent poo poo anymore?

No, KIA makes a good car these days. I don't think they lead the market in any category but their offerings are solid.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Deteriorata posted:

No first hand account, but if you're into the Chevy spirit there's the Sonic, which is a bit smaller than the Cruze but otherwise similar. A 2014 model ought to be right at your price point.

The Sonic is horrible and underpowered.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Razzled posted:

Hi friends!

Proposed Budget: 20k
New or Used: Either works
Body Style: Compact SUV/Crossover
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver, weekend warrior trail riding (light stuff, no rock crawling), towing dirt bikes
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? I've only driven crappy cars up til now so I'd like something newer and fancy this time around.
What aspects are most important to you?: I need something to support my weekend warrior dreams of adventure and fun and outdoors. So AWD/4x4 reliability and cost are my primary considerations here.

So far I have been researching and come up with this short list so far:
1) Subaru Crosstrek: I like the way these look but they seem to be universally panned as underpowered? Upside is that they are priced the cheapest for what you get and the AWD is supposedly very good.
2) Jeep Renegade Trailhawk: I also like the way these look and their offroad chops appear to be even better than the Crosstrek's. Jeep reliability lately seems to be in the dumps though...
3) Subaru Outback: It's a bit of a stretch budget wise but it checks the same boxes as the Crosstrek and has x mode for snow and stuff? Also a bigger motor in the 2.5

What else should I look at?

If you can wait there is a new Crosstrax in like 3 months

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

sbaldrick posted:

If you can wait there is a new Crosstrax in like 3 months

Haha was just about to post. Thanks all for the thoughts.

I've cooled on the Jeep and am gonna wait for news on the '18 Crosstrek to come out of NY this week. Supposedly the manual has six gears now which effectively quashes any misgivings I had

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The Renegade is poo poo much like the Ford DCT.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Test drive the Civic didn't like it settled with a corolla sport so you guys were right lol

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I have a third kid on the way and I'm thinking its time to sell my Charger for a minivan (I just asked about minivans in the parenting thread).

Proposed Budget: 22k
New or Used: Used, below 80k miles
Body Style: Minivan
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver to work (16 mile round trip) and hauling wife/MIL and three kids around on evenings/weekends.
What aspects are most important to you? Just want to get good bang for the buck and be safe. I really don't care about fancy poo poo like speakers or extra screens. (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style)
location I live in metro Detroit so the roads kind of suck real bad and sometimes strangers judge you for not buying American.

Where my mind is right now - my mechanic says that Toyota Siennas are the best for maintainability which is cool, but Chrysler/Dodge minivans are in much greater supply and at lower prices. Finding a used Odyssey is really tough. A late-model Kia seems like not a bad idea either, but idk.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The T&C won't be the most reliable thing in the world but other than that it is very good and a good value. Stow-n-Go is a great feature. I would probably buy Big 3 in Detroit as well.

edit: you've already dealt with FCA "quality" so if it hasn't put you off the brand I would definitely go with the T&C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Your mechanic is right. A year ago a guy I worked with picked up a lightly used Sienna LE for 19.5K or so. You shouldn't have a problem finding something in your price range.