Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
Playing a fanatical purifier empire is surprisingly fun. It's hard not to wind up hating alien life as a concept when you've got a dimensional horror in your hyperlanes, void clouds and pirates everywhere, and artifacts from ancient mass-murdering robots on half the planets you visit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I've noticed that since Utopia dropped that a lot more planets can start rebelling and breaking off. It's nice when they ask to join you but I've also noticed that when the go independent another issue - enabled by another change in Utopia - almost immediately cripples any new, independent empires. Now that food is a global resource the AI will sometimes put an emphasis on developing other aspects of a new colony instead of building farms, this will often leave some planets with a shortage of food, or with enough food to support themselves but not other planets which can be a problem if some of the larger food producing planets didn't break away with them. For whatever reason the new empire will have an extreme aversion to producing food and even if there are empty tiles they can switch to will still prefer collecting energy and minerals.

I had a strange incidence in an earlier game where an Awakened Xenophobe empire kicked the poo poo out of a Spiritualist Fallen empire (that didn't bother to awake or even defend itself) and took over the planets. As it was purging everyone one of the systems rebeled and immediatly asked to be my vassel. In the years after gaining independence they never built any new buildings and just sat there starving, instead prefering to put resources towards two frontier outposts and a new colony (that was also left to starve). It wasn't until I started transfering over some of the enormous surplus that I had before they were able to grow properly again. For whatever reason the AI just gets stuck trying to do something it clearly can't.

I haven't had the chance to vasselise any other planets that could be in the same position so I can't see what they're doing but I suspect they are mostly in same situation and the crippling lack of resources leaves them unable to do anything.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Anyone know the console command to trigger the final precursor step? This is the third game in a row I've gotten 6/6 artifacts, rushed to the system, scanned it down and... nothing. No final event. There's supposed to be a final event right?

GenericOverusedName posted:

Hey I'm really dumb and can't find that file. Where is it?

e: There's a bunch of species files, but none of them have anything that looks like a duplicate portrait flag.

I thought it was

ignore_portrait_duplication=no

but I'm actually getting the feeling it might not work the way I thought it did...

Maybe it just doesn't work at all?

Edit:
I might lose a war because my doomstack is stuck between two stations and freaking out instead of going where I need it to. I thought this bug was fixed?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Apr 17, 2017

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Psychotic Weasel posted:

I've noticed that since Utopia dropped that a lot more planets can start rebelling and breaking off. It's nice when they ask to join you but I've also noticed that when the go independent another issue - enabled by another change in Utopia - almost immediately cripples any new, independent empires. Now that food is a global resource the AI will sometimes put an emphasis on developing other aspects of a new colony instead of building farms, this will often leave some planets with a shortage of food, or with enough food to support themselves but not other planets which can be a problem if some of the larger food producing planets didn't break away with them.

Seems accurate to me.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

GlyphGryph posted:

I thought it was

ignore_portrait_duplication=no

but I'm actually getting the feeling it might not work the way I thought it did...

Maybe it just doesn't work at all?

What file. Where. What is the name and location of the file that line is located in. Steamfiles directory didn't have it, and neither did anything in the documents directory. Where do I find the thing that has this thing so I don't have a dumb thing happening anymore.

GenericOverusedName fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 17, 2017

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I was pretty excited to dive in with a hive mind, but I'm finding it pretty narrow. Everyone hates you, so you get into more wars, and if you claim planets you're automatically also genocidal, which pretty much seals the deal. I feel like you need the option to evict people or something so you're not permanently a genocidal monster from 2225 onwards. Equally, if you do have to be a genocidal monster, it'd be nice to be able to pick what type so you can at least do the one that gets rid of people quickest so you don't have planets full of buildings sucking 20 energy but producing 80 food that's sitting up past cap not doing anything.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

What file. Where. What is the name and location of the file that line is located in. Steamfiles directory didn't have it, and neither did anything in the documents directory. Where do I find the thing that has this thing so I don't have a dumb thing happening anymore.

In the species definition in the species files.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

I did a file search trough the entire stellaris directory, not any file has ignore_portrait_duplication in it. I think that's gone and/or never worked.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I am using whatever species the game randomly generated for me in this galaxy. I don't have a species mod file.

e:

Guilliman posted:

I did a file search trough the entire stellaris directory, not any file has ignore_portrait_duplication in it. I think that's gone and/or never worked.

Yeah, also the entire stellaris directory in my documents folder.

GlyphGryph posted:

In the species definition in the species files.

Okay rear end in a top hat, where the gently caress do they put those files?

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.
I redid the search, I might have missspelled ignore_

It's findinding two instances of ignore_portrait_duplication:

SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Stellaris\prescripted_countries\00_prescripted_countries.txt (2 hits)
Line 4: ignore_portrait_duplication = yes
Line 67: ignore_portrait_duplication = yes

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I am not using prescripted nations. I'm using whatever the game made when I hit the New Game Button.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I'd like to try out one of the new end game conditions, the bio, tech or spiritual victories. Anyone have a good civ build for one of them?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Zotix posted:

I'd like to try out one of the new end game conditions, the bio, tech or spiritual victories. Anyone have a good civ build for one of them?

They aren't really "end game conditions", they just give your empire buffs rather than working like a normal 4X ascension victory.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rougey posted:

This is the build I've been running:

Not to be a pain but as far as I know you can only get a certain amount of influence from factions, and getting more factions doesn't increase your influence gain, it just means they spread it out among them. So Deviants is probably just making your life more difficult unless you want to switch ethics a lot.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 17, 2017

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Seems like a bug that your tributaries don't like you because of high threat. They've already bent the knee, I'm no threat to them!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

the inability to merge a naval fleet and an army fleet means that I have to micro-manage the two together

You may already know this, but you can set an army fleet to follow a naval fleet just by right-clicking. It doesn't eliminate the micro but it cuts it down a lot; after I starting doing that the amount of times my army fleets get sniped went way down.

I think my next game is going to be Fanatic Purifiers. I think I can stack to +85% border range:

1. Fanatic Xenophobe +30%
2. Nationalistic Zeal +10%
3. Interstellar Dominion Perk +25%
4. Supremacy opener +20%

I may wimp out and play friendly with +55% border range only though.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
I'd love a mod that just made you auto-invade/conquer any planet that you bombarded down to zero.

Micromanaging armies is not fun.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I really hope they do something to fix species spam. I've been taking apart a huge human empire by liberating planets then annexing them. Every time I do, I add the exact same gene mods to them, cybernetic and conformist. I now have about 8 different "Humans" who all have the exact same traits in the exact same order with the exact name species name and portrait but all being their own species. This isn't just bloat on my screen making me OCD, it has real in-game effects for population growth since if you have a planet with 4 of them they'll be growing 4 different pops rather than 1.

There's also the problem that if you go wish the flesh is weak, all the species hit by it get a new name (that you can't pick your self!!!!) but if anyone gets missed they don't. So I have meta-humans, who are cybernetic conformists.
Then I have humans, still from my home planet, who are cybernetic conformists. But don't confuse those with the 7 other human species with the exact same traits that are descended from Deneb.

The game needs to at the very least merge species with the same traits and same name together, even if they were modded at different times. What would be nice though, and I think it would be a much better system, is to abstract minute differences in sub-species out and just collect them all under the same species entry. I've mentioned it before, but don't make a whole new species entry for each and every habitability, just add the habitability to the same species. So instead of having 3 different species of humans, one who likes continental, one who likes ocean, and one who likes tropical, just stack them together within the human species assuming they modify them selves as needed per each environment.

Just anything to reduce the number of species in the species list.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
Sectors..

So you can use sectors shipyards to build ships manually..

but your not allowed to help sectors develop their planets?
I got sectors sitting on 5k+ credits but it -5 a turn on minerals.. because of consumer goods is killing my sectors :P

There's not alot to complain about, but sectors are the one killing the game for me...

You basically have to pre-develop you planets before puttin them in sectors, which means you cannot expand rapidly.. ugh

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
You can give minerals and credits to your sector to help jumpstart its development instead of making them start from 0 or worse!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Iv'e been having zero problems with sectors now. I just keep them on balanced and they do their own thing. Way way way too much food but that's always been a problem. Every time I capture an AI planet they have like 1/3 of the planet covered in farms, I don't get it. Paradise dome + frontier hospital per planet seems to get the job done, slap an actual farm down here or there on a juicy food tile sometimes if you want some excess. I think I'm running at about +500 food at this point with +400 of that coming from my sectors because they fuckin' love food.

Do wish we had a little more control over sectors. Just simple things like "knock it off with the food" or "yeah keep science focus but can you please not be in negative minerals?" I almost wish it was based on SLIDERS or little priority bar graph things where you can set general targets for the sector. Just have one for Food, Energy, Minerals, Science showing the current production below and a target production above, or something like that. So if you want a sector to be 50/50 science and energy just set it that way and it will totally ignore food and energy. Or set minerals and energy and food to setting level 1, which is "break even" and research to maximum and the sector will build just enough food, energy, and minerals to be in the positive but otherwise focus on research, or any combo of the above.

You could also have a sub menu that has a list of special buildings like paradise dome, monument to purity, that fancy unity-getting monument, temples and so on. Have 3 settings for each, X for don't build, blank or a dash for the AI to decide, and a check box to force the sector AI to build one on that building on every planet no matter what. This would also help with situations where you've got all the unity unlocks, so you can now just go into your sectors and set all your unity related buildings to don't build, resulting in them demolishing them and building something else.

Also let us tweak sector planets without having to take them in and out of the sector. Just have it cost 20 influence per tweak or what ever. Same general cost to the player just soooo much less clicking.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Apr 17, 2017

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
So, that Xenophobe AE threatened me to try to thrall me, I said no and... they didn't do anything. Which was weird. Just as well, though, I'd been frantically building up since vassalizing all the empires that war dec'ed on me. I ended up building up enough for their fleet strength to be 'Equivalent' though that left me in the red on energy by a couple hundred credits. I ended up jumping on them first before they gained any more ground and, at first I didn't even get any resistance, I was just running around conquering planets two at a time with two 60k fleets. Then, when I was going on to the fourth or fifth planet conquered, an 80k fleet jumped into the system... then a 90k fleet did. Cue me scrambling to get both fleets in there.

I had the ascendent perk slot open to grab the Anti-AE perk, but I wanted to see how they did against them without first. My fleets had been build mostly 1 Battleship to 1 Cruiser, totaling 80 of each, Tachyon Lances in X, Kinetic Artillery in L, and Tier 3 Plasma/Flak Artillery in M.

I beat them, but it ended up costing me all of my Cruisers and half of my Battleships.

Scariest part was when the Unbidden event chain fired directly in the middle of the battle. Fortunately they invaded the other side of the galaxy so I can finish this first, but that was not something I was quite expecting to see right then.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
In my mind, Fanatical Spiritualist is still one of the most pleasing builds in Utopia. There is a good tech balance between unity production and governing ethics buffs, and wartime uses like that of psy-troops and other such unique abilities. Plus the potential, regular Shroud buffs.

Before Utopia I was usually a militarist/authoritarian centric build player, but now spiritualist is really my jam.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
So... um, I need to talk about purging.

I wanted to hitler some aliens I conquered. But I just wanted to hitler them a little, not completely. They had the same planet preference type as my core species so I wanted to give my citizens a little more "lebenstraum" if you get my meaning. So I went to the species rights for this species I had just conquered. They occupied four planets that were all mono-filled with just them. I set them to "undesirable" and the purge began. Thing is, the purge killed a grand total of zero members of their species for five years, and then on year five + 1 day literally ever single one of them died on every planet they inhabited.

Is this how purging is supposed to go? Like it seems bizarre to me to just go from "four planets filled with billions of people" for five years straight and then ONE DAY LATER "four empty planets, no survivors". You'd think they would just start dying off one by over time, not all drop dead at the same instant five years later. I just have the base game, no DLC if that makes a difference.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Chomp8645 posted:

So... um, I need to talk about purging.

I wanted to hitler some aliens I conquered. But I just wanted to hitler them a little, not completely. They had the same planet preference type as my core species so I wanted to give my citizens a little more "lebenstraum" if you get my meaning. So I went to the species rights for this species I had just conquered. They occupied four planets that were all mono-filled with just them. I set them to "undesirable" and the purge began. Thing is, the purge killed a grand total of zero members of their species for five years, and then on year five + 1 day literally ever single one of them died on every planet they inhabited.

Is this how purging is supposed to go? Like it seems bizarre to me to just go from "four planets filled with billions of people" for five years straight and then ONE DAY LATER "four empty planets, no survivors". You'd think they would just start dying off one by over time, not all drop dead at the same instant five years later. I just have the base game, no DLC if that makes a difference.

Yes, if you have Extermination set as a the purge setting. If you mouse over the purge icon in the bottom left of their portrait, it assigns a precise date. It's why I prefer to use them for slave labor to allow my preferred pop to migrate over to their planets as they die off.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Hey Alphamod stop generating giant empty barren planets that have no resources at all :mad:

For some reason it will occasionally also generate ones that are TOO big. I saw a size 57 one.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Sun Wu Kampf posted:

Hey Alphamod stop generating giant empty barren planets that have no resources at all :mad:

For some reason it will occasionally also generate ones that are TOO big. I saw a size 57 one.

Alphamod is in poo poo condition right now, which is why I hid my modpack which was like number 1 in six months for Alphamod.

As an alternative, may I suggest: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=901128991

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
So, how exactly do I Purge? Some of my aliens are trying really, really hard to revolt and the Imperial Empire of Humanity wants to "ensure unity." I never actually purged before and can't find the option.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Covok posted:

So, how exactly do I Purge? Some of my aliens are trying really, really hard to revolt and the Imperial Empire of Humanity wants to "ensure unity." I never actually purged before and can't find the option.

Go to the empire tab, to your species list, set their species as "undesirables" and simply select your purge method.

HOWEVER, your governing ethics must allow purging, so you typically need some kind of xenophobe ethic.

xXWehrabooXx
Mar 11, 2014

Kimsemus posted:

Go to the empire tab, to your species list, set their species as "undesirables" and simply select your purge method.

HOWEVER, your governing ethics must allow purging, so you typically need some kind of xenophobe ethic.

You can purge via displacement if you have authoritarian too.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kimsemus posted:

Yes, if you have Extermination set as a the purge setting. If you mouse over the purge icon in the bottom left of their portrait, it assigns a precise date. It's why I prefer to use them for slave labor to allow my preferred pop to migrate over to their planets as they die off.

Slaves don't die off though. Like I have other species as slaves and they go on forever. Or is that what happens if you have slaves and then enable population control on them? I thought it just meant they wouldn't grow anymore.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Theres more than one way to purge things. One way is forced labor.

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
Just finished another mod: Sector Shipyards. Lets you centralise production of armies and ships in sectors to their capitals, to make building fleets lategame less of an absolute ballache. It's up on the workshop here.
Description:

quote:

Annoyed by building fleets when you have multiple sectors? Wish you could compete with the AI's micromanagement of ship production? Look no further!

Sector Shipyard Centralisation
Sector Shipyards adds a new policy, Sector Shipyard Centralisation. When enabled, then for each sector with a governor:
  • Sector Capital
    Gains a +50% bonus to ship and army production per spaceport in the sector.
  • Sector Planets
    Suffer a -50% penalty to ship and army production speed.
With centralised production, an empire of dozens of planets is almost as easy to run as one with 3-4. Just hotkey your sector capitals and build everything from there!

Q&A
Why not 100%?
To avoid messing with the AI. Sector AI will still be able to build defence armies and constructors.
What about spaceport level?
All levels grant the same bonus. This is because managing build speed for individual ship types isn't possible- we can only reduce build time, which is impractical to work with and would clash with leader traits that edit build time for different ship classes.

Next, I'm thinking of making Ascension Milestones, that'll award ascension perks for hitting some milestones, designed to help wide empires not be completely blocked out of ascension. I only want a few milestones, and I'm thinking:
  • Survive 100 years
  • Settle 20 colonies
  • Conquer an AE homeworld/kill a Leviathan
Any other ones? I think making sure every playstyle can unlock maybe 2 extra is a good idea, and I think this covers both peaceful and aggressive wide empires.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Theres more than one way to purge things. One way is forced labor.

I don't see this option anywhere. Is it part of any DLC? I mentioned I don't have any.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Oh, sorry. Yes it's Utopia that adds the purging variety.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Ok, got it. I guess for now it's no-hitler or full-hitler only. No medium-hitler.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I've found that the combination of hive mind, extremely adaptive, and talented along with the pooled knowledge and natural neural network is extremely powerful. The negative traits are repugnant (everybody hates you already), fleeting (you're already super talented), and sedentary (I don't think hive minds even migrate). Grab the starting bonuses for the Discovery, Prosperity, and Expansion traditions before filling out the Discovery and then Expansion trees and now you can aggressively expand everywhere. Getting private colony ships is particularly powerful since it lets you spend your minerals on warships.

Thank you for that good post.

One question: Why talented and pooled knowledge, over say, rapid breeders and the +unity civic?

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

A Tartan Tory posted:

Can anyone else think of more growth modifiers than these? Need it for some science.

Fertile: -30%
New Generation Agenda: -10%
Fanatic Spiritualist Edict: -20%
Genome Mapping: -10%
Consecrated World: -10%
New Life Expansion Tradition: -10%

Apart from planetary modifiers like atmospheric aphrodisiac of course.

I don't think anyone answered this, so Festival of Worlds from artist enclaves is -10% more. I forgot the fanatic spiritualist edict is a thing. I wonder if -100% gives you one pop a month or fills up the planet instantly? Probably one a month.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Staltran posted:

I don't think anyone answered this, so Festival of Worlds from artist enclaves is -10% more. I forgot the fanatic spiritualist edict is a thing. I wonder if -100% gives you one pop a month or fills up the planet instantly? Probably one a month.

It doesn't work like that, it just reduces the multiplier on growth points so that it's only based on current population and habitability. IIRC it's (25 base + size penalty based on current pop) * (2-1+ -growth rate) at 100% habitability.

So if I have this setup on a few small planets that grow insanely fast, as well as the nomadic trait, as soon as they grow they will send out pop everywhere in my empire, negating the only real problem I have in this game (pop growth) without going full synthetics.

I was trying to get -100% so I could completely get rid of the multiplier.

A Tartan Tory fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is the AI response to unbidden still broken?

• Locked thread