Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
also reminder that this game is still quite broken and i've had games where voice chat just doesn't work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Athanatos posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o7zBBePbU4

The hungry buggies circle their prey, waiting for their next meal; blood on their mind, but frightened away by the bigger dominate king jeep.

what happens to the audio like 15 seconds in lmao i'm deaf now
e: holy heck it gets louder

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Nothing worse than seeing someone who doesn't see you 100m or so away, lining up your shot, holding your breath, squeezing the trigger, and seeing no puffs of blood before he turns around and kills you

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I seriously can't remember the last game with actual decent, built-in VOIP.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Overwatch's is pretty good, but that's an anomaly.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Discord is so amazingly better at voice than any in game I've heard in a while. The difference in audio between Discord and Siege's in game is stunning.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Constellation I posted:

Overwatch's is pretty good, but that's an anomaly.

did they ever fix that issue where you are unable to join voice chat until you restart your computer?

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

creatine posted:

did they ever fix that issue where you are unable to join voice chat until you restart your computer?

nope

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Problem
I keep getting this out-of-video-memory crash/error when playing the game on higher settings:

The crashes occur about every other match. There will be no warning, FPS will be rock stable, and suddenly my monitors will all go to black. Sometimes they will hang on the black screen, and I will have to restart my computer, but other times I can recover my desktop by mashing alt-control-delete enough times. If I do recover my desktop or on the way to the computer resetting that is when I notice the vram error I posted a picture of above. For me the error never actually appears in the game. I always get the screens going black first. Even when playing with 2 of my monitors disabled, the single monitor will go to black as well when the crash occurs.

The crashes are completely random in timing-- they could happen 2 minutes into the match or 20 minutes in. They did not seem to relate to anything going on in the game, as they could happen when sitting in an empty house doing nothing. In terms of FPS the game itself runs very smoothly on ultra setting, with 60-70 FPS.

Specs & Game Settings
CPU: i7-4790k@Ghz
GPU: Geforce Titan X SC
Ram: 16gb
HD: Solid State
Triple Monitor Setup, but I've tried disabling 2 monitors and it doesn't make a difference.
Game Resolution: 2560x1440
Game Settings: Crash seems to happen if the game visuals are on High-Ultra

What I've Tried
I temporarily solved the issue by pushing down everything to "Low" settings, and have been working my way back up, increasing settings one at a time. I'm currently at all medium settings with view distance on ultra.

The thing that confuses me is that I have a Geforce Titan X with 12gb of V-Ram, and my friends who are playing with 970's are running the game on high/ultra without having this issue.

Once I had everything stable on medium settings I started playing the game with Resource Monitor & MSI Afterburner open on my other screen. On average game is utilizing about 8-9 gigs of System Ram & 10-11 gigs of vRAM on Medium settings. I'm going to continue to push up settings to see what the usage statistics are showing when I reach the point where the game does crash again.

Of note, I'm not quite sure I understand how to measure Vram. Advertising claims my Titan X has 12gigs of Ram, Dxdiag lists the "Approx. Total memory: 20406MB", and MSI Afterburner lists 16,384 as the top of the graph, with the card idling around 6000 even when no game is being played Does the card really use 6g of Vram just to display my desktop?

Questions

I guess my main question is-- why is this happening? Why am I getting vRAM errors when my friends are running the game on Ultra with worse graphic cards? I've also never had a vRAM error before in any other game, including running things like the Witcher III or Battlefield I on max settings.

My follow up question would be-- is this an issue I can solve? Can I change settings to run the game on high-ultra, and still get it to work? Drop my resolution maybe?

Related, is this an issue on the game's end or Nvidia's end? Am I waiting on a graphic driver update or a game patch?

Finally, is it normal for this game to be using 8-9 gigs of system ram?

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Apr 17, 2017

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Any word on when the next update will drop?

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.

this game is unoptimized as gently caress. give it some time and wait for a patch. play on low settings.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Thom and the Heads posted:

this game is unoptimized as gently caress. give it some time and wait for a patch. play on low settings.

There is also a known memory leak, where I would suggest restarting the game after every round.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
I watched a ton of videos of people good at this before picking it up, and one thing I noticed immediately (I think one of the vids I watched actually pointed it out as a tip) was that gathering objects or groups of objects on the ground next to you is WAY faster if you do it from your inventory screen, rather than using the Interact command for each item one at a time. The pickup animation is almost a second long and you have to do it once for every item you grab if you Interact... but none of that happens if you use the Inventory screen. Why don't they just forego the animation completely so that you can actually use the interact button without feeling like you are playing sub-optimally?

I would much rather spam my interact button snagging up stuff than looking at my inventory screen... but if you drop into a town with 6 guys running around looking for the first thing that shoots bullets, every second counts.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

It still ducks down to pickup if you use right-click in inventory, so to do it fastest you have to left-click drag. They should make it the same for all methods.

Gesadt
Jan 3, 2014
anyone else getting the bug where sometimes hotkeys for weapon switching stop working and you're left with mousewheeling? better yet is there a known workaround? its really quite annoying

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

taqueso posted:

It still ducks down to pickup if you use right-click in inventory, so to do it fastest you have to left-click drag. They should make it the same for all methods.

Yeah, I should have specified. I don't think I've ever right clicked to gather stuff in the inventory screen... I'm LMB dragging like a madman. Extra painful when you can see the server lagging at the start of a match while 90+ people are running around frantically trying to last the first minute of play.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
I love using the KAR98 in most games and I'm kind of bummed that it sucks in Battlegrounds. Usually it's a powerhouse to make up for the fact that it's a bolt action rifle but here it seems to be both hard to find AND way worse than just about every other auto or semi-auto rifle.

Shotguns in this game loving own though.

It's disappointing as hell when you have a bad death in this game though. I shot at a dude in a car and he got out and we battled around some small hills. I got the drop on him and took him out. Afterwards a dude in another car drives up, I put a shotgun blast into him, and his car slams into the vacant one. At this point the game just like loving broke because the cars freaked out, he teleported like 30 feet outside of his car, and then proceeded to blink around shooting at me until I was dead.

e: also PRO TIP you can't outswim the kill wall

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 17, 2017

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Yodzilla posted:

I love using the KAR98 in most games and I'm kind of bummed that it sucks in Battlegrounds. Usually it's a powerhouse to make up for the fact that it's a bolt action rifle but here it seems to be both hard to find AND way worse than just about every other auto or semi-auto

Uh, have you tried hitting heads? the kar98 is amazingly good with anything 4x or above, blows the sks out of the water imo.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Bohemian Nights posted:

Uh, have you tried hitting heads? the kar98 is amazingly good with anything 4x or above, blows the sks out of the water imo.

Sadly I've never once been in possession of both a KAR and a scope for it at the same time.

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Bohemian Nights posted:

I can't hit anyone's head in this game for the life of me. I can't figure out if I need to lead or what but I suck. Yet i have a decent amount of wins, I just wish my aim wasn't so bad. My 10+ years of CS isn't doing me any good here.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The Kar98 is good even if you don't get headshots, the majority of late game combat revolves around peeking behind trees and rocks for a quarter second, and that bolt action rifle suits that style well.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

fyallm posted:

I can't hit anyone's head in this game for the life of me. I can't figure out if I need to lead or what but I suck. Yet i have a decent amount of wins, I just wish my aim wasn't so bad. My 10+ years of CS isn't doing me any good here.

Haha, I'm also pretty terrible at clicking heads in this game, friend. I scratch most of it up to the game's performance plus lag making minute adjustments on moving targets a chore, but I also know that my squad mate (who mains the awp in cs, go figure) can pull out the kar98 and hit heads in a car moving 100 km/h, twice as many meters away, so it's very possible that We're Just Bad.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

fyallm posted:

I can't figure out if I need to lead or what but I suck

Pretty much this.
Bullets in this game are projectiles, so you have to account for travel time, as well as bullet drop, the further you are from the target.

Extreme example of this: https://clips.twitch.tv/EnticingSpoopyKimchiOpieOP

CS bullets were hitscan, so the shots would always hit whatever you were pointed at. (ignoring the effects of recoil)

Tips for making long distance shots easier when scoped in (double tap right mouse key):
1. Holding Shift holds your breath and steadies your aim.
2. PgUp and PgDown will change the zeroing distance so you don't have to aim up as much when shooting at distant targets.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

.Z. posted:

2. When you are sighted in, PgUp and PgDown will change the zeroing distance so you don't have to aim up as much when shooting at distant targets.

Is there any ingame way to gauge distance that I've missed or do you pretty much have to eyeball it?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Bohemian Nights posted:

Is there any ingame way to gauge distance that I've missed or do you pretty much have to eyeball it?

You can use the maps.

MiniMap Square = 100 m across
Full Screen Map Squares = 1000m across

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
Clapping Larry

.Z. posted:

You can use the maps.

MiniMap Square = 100 m across
Full Screen Map Squares = 1000m across

Ahh, of course. I should have thought of that myself :p

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I don't want to be ginger Skrillex anymore. :smith:

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I'm pretty happy with my "alt-right Hugh Jackman" look my character is rocking. 3k is pretty steep to change your avatar, though.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Going for the "just got off work and loosened my tie, but suddenly--Mad Max" look

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
played 6 or 7 rounds

best I've done so far is like 15 out of 100 or whatever

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
I've played around 21 hours and I've won one match. I love this game.

Stealthgerbil
Dec 16, 2004

the only reason i care about unlocks is so i can get camo or nature colored clothing to make hiding in bushes easier.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Stealthgerbil posted:

the only reason i care about unlocks is so i can get camo or nature colored clothing to make hiding in bushes easier.

or for $0.75 you can just buy them unless you want the drat trenchcoat that increases your hitbox

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

funny Star Wars parody posted:

or for $0.75 you can just buy them unless you want the drat trenchcoat that increases your hitbox

Trenchcoats increase your hitbox? :psyduck:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Trenchcoats increase your hitbox? :psyduck:

Assuming it does, think of it like this:

Trench coat adds a layer all around your body, versus body armor which layers over your chest or whataveyou. However, the body armor doesn't bulge outward in a way that matters, while the coat is like doubling your skin size.

That is to say unless something went horribly wrong with the boxes, the hit box is like... minutely increased. If at all.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Wouldn't the hitbox just stay the same? Can you shoot someone in the backpack?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

That's the thing. I haven't seen the hit boxes firsthand, but I'd assume it doesn't really matter.

Plus with shooting the backpack, I'd wager you'd shoot front to back and not parallel with the player's back.

Again, unless something went horribly wrong there.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
it's better to assume cosmetics do not change your hit box because to assume otherwise would be woefully retarded

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Gay Horney posted:

it's better to assume cosmetics do not change your hit box because to assume otherwise would be woefully retarded

I would agree with that. Until I see proof that things are as complicated as people try to make them out to be, I will just assume developers took the easy way out on pretty much every issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

ump is solid 50-100 meters as well so keep that in mind when you pick one up, it's versatile for real

• Locked thread