Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

if you're white and wanna be woke, get yourself a cat-o-nine-tails and start hitting yourself with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Relin posted:

no the wokest is constantly questioning whether people are more woke than yourself, or if one person is more woke than another

let's not forget maintaining a sliding scale of which celebrities are good or bad based on their politics and treating said scale as something vitally important

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
Is christian iconography woke?

Also I'm the bra section behind the cross.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

"jesus was a drat democrat and therefore woke as hell" -john fugelsang

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Berkley Protestors Take the Pepsi Challenge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7u3uhKxNPNg

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Tunicate posted:

this owns

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Tunicate posted:

well, he tried

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Tunicate posted:

now this is some true gonzo reporting

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Inspiring

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

have you heard the tragedy of erin esurance?

https://priceonomics.com/how-esurance-lost-its-mascot-to-the-internet/

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

lol

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

At least it's better than that loving pig

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

i dont get how she was annoying

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

come save, m'lord

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

I AM THE 1% who find the Gordon's Fishersman sexy.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Peanut President posted:

I mean, he's a handsome older dude with great hair. I'm kinda surprised there wasn't more than 1% on there.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Peanut President posted:

edit: btw, searching for "erin esurance" on deviant art yields some amazing results.

mrmcd has issued a correction as of 03:28 on Apr 18, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Terror Sweat posted:

Is it even possible to culturally appropriate Japan? Its never been colonized and conquered by the west

It's not cultural appropriation, but it is an example "white washing", which is an issue that naturally affects Asian Americans more than Asians living in Asia (since "being marginalized in American society" isn't really an issue for, say, Japanese people living in Japan). At its most simple, the complaint is "why the gently caress wouldn't you just hire an Asian actor to play an Asian character", and it's made worse by a history of white actors often playing Asian characters. It's not like there's some dearth of English speaking Asian actors, so there isn't much of an excuse for this sort of thing.

I mean, obviously there are many more serious issues, but it's still a legitimate thing.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

wanna gently caress that cartoon

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
Politics doesn't ruin friendships as much as Mario Party

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

if world leaders played mario party together, we'd be engulfed in mushroom clouds in very short order. even shorter if it was mario kart

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Latest Google Doodle https://www.google.com/#q=Esther+Afua+Ocloo&oi=ddle&hl=en

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
lol if you pretend you don't think the pep boys are sexy

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ehhhh this is really, really not the desperately painfully #woke nonsense this thread is about

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos

get that OUT of my face posted:

if world leaders played mario party together, we'd be engulfed in mushroom clouds in very short order. even shorter if it was mario kart

Stuxnet should have just installed Dota in Iranian government computers

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

ehhhh this is really, really not the desperately painfully #woke nonsense this thread is about
i disagree. microlending is held up by neoliberals as a shining example of lifting people in places like sub-saharan africa and rural india out of poverty, when it's more responsible for suicides among the people that get them. and what's more woke than having a program like that started by a WoC?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

i disagree. microlending is held up by neoliberals as a shining example of lifting people in places like sub-saharan africa and rural india out of poverty, when it's more responsible for suicides among the people that get them. and what's more woke than having a program like that started by a WoC?

Yeah, microlending sounded good at first but it turns out that creating a whole new, completely unregulated way to put some of the poorest people on earth into debt is not actually the poverty curing panacea we thought it would be.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

The blue shell heard around the the world...

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
i thought micro lending was good when i was much younger and much dumber (still dumb though), and during those times I thought anything that had the words entrepreneurship in it was the loving bumb. but then i realized how loving stupid it is to think that putting poor people in debt would help them.

jesus loving christ what a stupid rear end idea. like, it's a great idea for lenders. an entire untapped market to exploit, and you get to dress it up as goodwill. loving jackpot.

stupid loving liberals couldn't take one second and think to themselves "well, if poor people in my own first world country with a lot more opportunity and resources can't seem to loving escape poverty with debt, how are these poor schlubs in Africa going to do it". they are not. it is a dumb idea. and you are dumb for supporting it.

Kindest Forums User has issued a correction as of 15:40 on Apr 19, 2017

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

if you lend a shopkeeper in somalia $20 at 15% interest administered through a series of subcontracting banks and ultimately sent out to collection when the shopkeeper's business fails after his landlord flees the country you are basically a neoliberal saint, i wouldnt worry too much about what the debt collection process might entail in that country

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You can't just donate idle money to people who are asking for a pittance to turn their lives around. No, that would be immoral, you must make them suffer for every buck to make them appreciate the power of dollar.

Microloans are literally just medieval usury with a new coat of paint.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Why don't they people in debt just kill the people they owe money to?

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i think this is relevant to the thread, since i would call Pride Toronto a brand

http://www.cp24.com/mobile/news/lgbtq-officers-call-on-city-to-cut-annual-grant-given-to-pride-1.3375241

really shows how trying to please everyone can lead to intransigence

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

It always amazed me how microlending was portrayed as literal charity. Like, even if it actually did help (which it obviously doesn't) it still wouldn't be charity! There is nothing selfless about giving people loans that they are required to pay back with interest*!

*Well, above the risk free interest rate at least

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

gently caress the IMF

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Ytlaya posted:

It always amazed me how microlending was portrayed as literal charity. Like, even if it actually did help (which it obviously doesn't) it still wouldn't be charity! There is nothing selfless about giving people loans that they are required to pay back with interest*!

well you see even jobs are a boon handed down to us from the blessed jobcreators to those that find their favor thru good works

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

They're giving me more money than I gave them. They're the ones being charitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

could have been a fairly crappy but still real charity at 0% interest and 0 fees, but then it would actually cost money hmmm