Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

It takes me twenty minutes to get to a working set on backsquat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

Do you mean the priest guy? He's a villain, yeah. Because despite all his talk and conspicuous poverty etc. he's actually just gathering power, bullying everyone who doesn't obey him, and imposing strict religious intolerance on everyone. He's pretending to be pious while using torture to extract confessions and provably can't or doesn't care to tell the difference between true and false confessions. He's also explicitly manipulating the king by holding the king's wife as a prisoner in order to brainwash her and indoctrinate her into his cult.

The fact that he drapes himself in the trappings of poverty, piety, being a man of the people, etc. just makes his brand of manipulation more insidious.

But hey, at least he's systematically taking down the insanely corrupt power structure in King's Landing, right? So we like him for that, I guess!

The sparrow is also from Glen Garry Glen Ross and even younger he looks like a bald conniver

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I don't care that that the sparrow is manipulating people to get power, his goal is to overthrow the feudal monarchy. That makes him good. I want the kings and queens to lose. The kings are queens are already manipulating, torturing, and oppressing people. There's nothing he does in the show that is worse than what the monarchy does.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Isn't he basically Oliver Cromwell, noted piece of poo poo?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I don't care that that the sparrow is manipulating people to get power, his goal is to overthrow the feudal monarchy. That makes him good. I want the kings and queens to lose. The kings are queens are already manipulating, torturing, and oppressing people. There's nothing he does in the show that is worse than what the monarchy does.

Yeah, sure. I mean, it's clear the feudal monarchy is loving awful. But in Game of Thrones, everything is loving awful. And he is just going to replace the monarchy with a theocracy with himself in charge. And "he's no worse than what the monarchy does" is the faintest praise you could possibly drat him with, lol.

The one absolutely consistent theme in GoT is that the powerful suck and the weak get poo poo on, always and forever.

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

Thinking anyone or anything as being good for Westeros other than the cleansing fire of dragon's breath is wrong imo

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Bill Dungsroman posted:

Thinking anyone or anything as being good for Westeros other than the cleansing fire of dragon's breath is wrong imo

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Lyanna Mormont is the only non piece of poo poo in the entirety of GOT

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Diqnol posted:

Isn't he basically Oliver Cromwell, noted piece of poo poo?

Yeah I'd say he's sort of a mix of Cromwell and maybe Osama bin Laden. There's no way his vision of the future involves actual improvement in the lives of the poor, especially given his willingness to surround himself with armed thugs and torture-nuns. The worst aspect of his plan is that it actually gives the viewers a reason to be sympathetic towards Cersei, who is perhaps the most evil character on the entire show and that's saying a lot. Because without the protection of the military of one of the great houses, King's Landing is doomed and everyone in it will starve.

He's also a loving idiot for publicly humiliating Cersei Lannister and then leaving her alive.

Bill Dungsroman posted:

Right but of course as likeable as she is, Khalisi is also a power-hungry despot. She's anti-slave which is super nice, but she still wants to claim power more than she wants any other particular thing.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
If I was in Westeros I'd probably be tending to a small vegetable garden, practicing my swordwork after farming duties

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Spoeank posted:

She'll probably kill arya this season and merry the king beyond the wall.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Spoeank posted:

I like the blonde female knight and the fat guy from the wall for decent folk, also Ned Stark when his head was connected.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spoeank posted:

Several of the kids are basically innocent, and of the main adult characters, I think Gendry, Gilly, and arguably Sam are all pretty much not pieces of poo poo.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
RIP Carl Tanner :-( was a fookin' gin alley legend

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Diqnol posted:

I like the blonde female knight and the fat guy from the wall for decent folk, also Ned Stark when his head was connected.

Brienne has a stick up her butt, is in love with the Kingslayer, is pretty OK with murdering people when its in service of what she sees as her duty, and - like Ned - has the flaw of being too rigid in her approach to actually achieve her goals. And despite really liking her because she's a tough lady knight, she's a noble aristocrat and therefore part of the oppressive power structure.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

SHOAH NUFF posted:

If I was in Westeros I'd probably be tending to a small vegetable garden, practicing my swordwork after farming duties

I would definitely be someone who gets killed soft and nude in a whore house just being in the right place wrong time.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I would be built like a man chiseled from rock...eating from the earth and hunting wild game...I'd also protect the nearby smallfolk from rapes and pillages. They'd call me the Noble, Strong Commoner

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I would be built like a man chiseled from rock...eating from the earth and hunting wild game...I'd also protect the nearby smallfolk from rapes and pillages. They'd call me the Noble, Strong Commoner

They'd call you a whoreson's bunghole.

Witcher 3 is practically a documentary is what I'm saying.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Spoeank posted:

Sam owns

And Mayor Carcetti

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Do you guys seriously have the expectation that fictional characters should embody your personal ideals in order to say that you like them or a show in its totality because I am having trouble wrapping my head around this

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Do you guys seriously have the expectation that fictional characters should embody your personal ideals in order to say that you like them or a show in its totality because I am having trouble wrapping my head around this

People like and dislike fictional characters based on their personal ideals

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

What about it do they get mad about?

Sansa and Ramsey didn't marry in the book. Ramsey married some random broad, no idea who because I didn't read them all.

Prior to this season, a lot of people weren't too happy with Sansa being raped by Ramsey. Mainly because it's not like she needed another reason to hate the guy who stole her homeland and killed a bunch of her family's servants. Most thought that scene was just glorifying rape.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
Bad guys make the best protagonists. Walter White, Vic Mackey, and Boyd Crowder are all loving fantastic, even if they're terrible people.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Well when we consume media (be it sports, a tv show, video game etc) we tend to judge what it is we are consuming and yes that usually means personal investment as the basis of comparison is usually oneself and our experiences. Some people correctly limit this investment by rationalizing that it's a tv show but sometimes one doesn't care enough to do that or (lol) the show was so good it eliminated that boundary for you. Those that retain the boundary can like Peter Baelish and the dwarf and the spider and those that cannot probably don't. If you're still reading this post you've read too much and your time is gone now bitch.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Thaddius the Large posted:

Bad guys make the best protagonists. Walter White, Vic Mackey, and Boyd Crowder are all loving fantastic, even if they're terrible people.

Tony Soprano

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

Not at all, by far my favorite character is Tyrion. But I'm under no illusion that he's actually a "good guy." He's just brilliantly conceived, written, and acted.

seiferguy posted:

Sansa and Ramsey didn't marry in the book. Ramsey married some random broad, no idea who because I didn't read them all.

Prior to this season, a lot of people weren't too happy with Sansa being raped by Ramsey. Mainly because it's not like she needed another reason to hate the guy who stole her homeland and killed a bunch of her family's servants. Most thought that scene was just glorifying rape.

Yeah the tv show has wildly diverged from the books a long time ago though, so whatever. I think it's just that Sansa had become a very sympathetic character and everyone hated her being violated like that. But Sansa's entire character arc has been a transition from being a naive and stupid girl to becoming jaded, powerful, capable of maniuplation, and able to lead and accomplish things, and her violation by Ramsay works well with that character arc. Even though it was disturbing.

e. if the scene is glorifying rape, then I guess when the Boltons flay people that's glorifying skinning people alive?

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 17, 2017

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Tony Soprano

Still haven't gotten around to that one. I'd love to, but I still need to finish Black Sails season 3, new MST3K, and a whole lotta Rick and Morty.

Edit: is Preacher any good? Wasn't sure whether to add it to the list too.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Edit: is Preacher any good? Wasn't sure whether to add it to the list too.

Read the Preacher comics. The TV show is OK, but can't possibly live up to what the comics do.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

This is actually a very important literary tradition designed to open your mind to empathizing with people and situations that you ordinarily would not consider, and is often a testament to the genius of the artist.

Like, every cell of my body is repulsed by Humbert Humbert, yet I still enjoyed Lolita because whole book is designed to make you feel skeevy about sexualizing teenagers.

The quintessential theme of GoT is that power corrupts etc

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

I use my personal morals and ideals when judging which anime characters to cosplay as

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

my fursona is darth vader

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Leperflesh posted:

Read the Preacher comics. The TV show is OK, but can't possibly live up to what the comics do.

I did about a decade ago, and have chosen not to revisit them in the likely event they haven't aged especially well. I assumed the show took some major creative liberties in their adaptation, just wasn't sure if it was still entertaining or no. Then again, being that I haven't heard much any chatter about the show in general, I'm guessing it's pretty forgettable.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah the tv show has wildly diverged from the books a long time ago though, so whatever. I think it's just that Sansa had become a very sympathetic character and everyone hated her being violated like that. But Sansa's entire character arc has been a transition from being a naive and stupid girl to becoming jaded, powerful, capable of maniuplation, and able to lead and accomplish things, and her violation by Ramsay works well with that character arc. Even though it was disturbing.

e. if the scene is glorifying rape, then I guess when the Boltons flay people that's glorifying skinning people alive?

Yeah once this season came along and Sansa had clearly changed into who she is now, it made that scene make a bit more sense.

Also, glorifying rape is sort of a bigger deal since rape still happens a lot. People don't get their skin flayed in developed countries on a daily basis.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

seiferguy posted:

Yeah once this season came along and Sansa had clearly changed into who she is now, it made that scene make a bit more sense.

Also, glorifying rape is sort of a bigger deal since rape still happens a lot. People don't get their skin flayed in developed countries on a daily basis.

Way to trigger the anti circumcision crowd!

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

My favorite GoT characters :

Aria (because she reminds me of my daughter)
Tyrion (because he is the best)
Jon Snuh

I do wish they would have done more with the dire wolves in the series. Do they not really address them in the books?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I did about a decade ago, and have chosen not to revisit them in the likely event they haven't aged especially well. I assumed the show took some major creative liberties in their adaptation, just wasn't sure if it was still entertaining or no. Then again, being that I haven't heard much any chatter about the show in general, I'm guessing it's pretty forgettable.

It does take serious liberties. But it's also so far not even gotten them out of that town the Preacher starts in, so there's a Looooooot of story still left to tell.

I think the show is reasonably well acted, the storytelling is alright, and I'm going to be watching it whenever the next season comes out. But I don't think it's like amazing or anything and I don't expect it to have anything like the impact that the comic did.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Are we talking about which GoT characters we are? I'm Shitmouth.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Quiet Feet posted:

Are we talking about which GoT characters we are? I'm Shitmouth.

I would say typical goons are Samwell irl, but ya'll seem like a bunch of fit motherfuckers so we are more likely like Khal Drogo itt :smug:

If we are talking life goals, I feel like Bronn is the clear winner...

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

weird Asian candy posted:

I would say typical goons are Samwell irl, but ya'll seem like a bunch of fit motherfuckers so we are more likely like Khal Drogo itt :smug:

If we are talking life goals, I feel like Bronn is the clear winner...

I'm blond haired and blue eyed, so I guess I'm a Lannister

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
First day back at work after my vacation and I discover that someone filling in for me hosed up on my work in a way I didn't know was possible. Now it will take me longer to fix said fuckup than if I had just done it myself. Yay...

• Locked thread