Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

learnincurve posted:

My dad who is old and does not give a gently caress, and is a really good resource for all xenophobic slurs, calls Brazillian's "cheating swines".
I asked him why after posting before and he started grumbling and swearing about something that happened in a World Cup in the 1950s. I get the impression that they turned up with style and flair while the British team were still hoofing it up the pitch so clearly they were employing some sort of forrin witchcraft or cheating to win.

I think that's just old person racism. I have an uncle who calls black people in football teams he doesn't like 'spear chuckers' but that doesn't make it a national perception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

wicka posted:

Lmao, what? Why did he have to find the car in 1991, why couldn't he have just found it whenever they were producing the special and thought it was funny? It's the exact kind of thing they did over and over again for like 15 years.

For what it's worth, in his book about making the series, the script editor Richard Porter, who admits to every other piece of poo poo they pulled insists this one they were utterly innocent of and no-one noticed the plate.. Apparently they bought it sight unseen because it was the only Porsche 928GT they could get hold of at very short notice and didn't even see the plates until they had it on the boat and no-one spotted the connection until London got the first load of footage back to edit. They sent out some "comedy sweary" plates out, planning to have them fixed on by Richard in a "Non-scripted prank" but they got there too late.

Believe it or don't but if it's a lie, it's the only one he's lying about.

Khablam posted:

He's personally owned the car since 1991, afaik, or at least the 90's.

From the same book, no, they bought it for the show.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Dudley posted:

For what it's worth, in his book about making the series, the script editor Richard Porter, who admits to every other piece of poo poo they pulled insists this one they were utterly innocent of and no-one noticed the plate.. Apparently they bought it sight unseen because it was the only Porsche 928GT they could get hold of at very short notice and didn't even see the plates until they had it on the boat and no-one spotted the connection until London got the first load of footage back to edit. They sent out some "comedy sweary" plates out, planning to have them fixed on by Richard in a "Non-scripted prank" but they got there too late.

Believe it or don't but if it's a lie, it's the only one he's lying about.

From the same book, no, they bought it for the show.

I really fancy a 928 GT but they're prohibitively expensive now. I ended up buying a BMW 645Ci because I'd wanted one since I was a kid and the V8 burble gives me the royal horn. Coming off a slip road earlier today I dropped a cog and gave it the full beans with the window down and ended up gluing my trouser legs together. My dad recently bought a Merc CL500 and we spent the long weekend acting like children trying to out noise each other.

And yet I can't get him into F1 beyond 'if Ferrari win it's good.'

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Theophany posted:

And yet I can't get him into F1 beyond 'if Ferrari win it's good.'

You dad is right

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I love the 928 but those lovely cylinder liners and the rear transaxle nonsense really scare me away. They just seem like walking nightmares.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

I love the 928 but those lovely cylinder liners and the rear transaxle nonsense really scare me away. They just seem like walking nightmares.

Once you've stared into the abyss of knackered valve stem seals, perished rocker cover gaskets and a ruptured coolant transfer pipe all in an engine created by the world's greatest engine company(TM) everything else is elementary.

I started fiddling with my brother's C180K Merc that's just blown it's head gasket this weekend and it was almost serene.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

The 928 Rear Transaxle is probably fine I'd be more worried about the engine and the electrical nightmares.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Norns posted:

This. A thousand times this.

My regular series in iRacing has 3 of these. To make it even better they scream at each other in Portuguese non stop.

Speaking of Kamel GT. This video about the Audi 90 is really good.

https://youtu.be/YA55FBYKvas

I've watched this video a ton of times. It is so cool how passionate Hans is about the 90 IMSA GTO :allears:

edit: the noises that car makes are straight orgasmic

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Theophany posted:

Once you've stared into the abyss of knackered valve stem seals, perished rocker cover gaskets and a ruptured coolant transfer pipe all in an engine created by the world's greatest engine company(TM) everything else is elementary.

I started fiddling with my brother's C180K Merc that's just blown it's head gasket this weekend and it was almost serene.

I don't mind fixing poo poo. It's when a high major part of the car is a problem child and then it's difficult sourcing parts and then paying out the rear end for them that I'm not a huge fan of.

Having said that I bought an FC RX-7 last year on a whim so YMMV with my advice.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

The 928 Rear Transaxle is probably fine I'd be more worried about the engine and the electrical nightmares.

Yeah the engine would be my bigger concern, I've got no clue why alot manufacturer insisted on pushing through aluminium block engines before they were ready for prime time in that period. I think the transaxle was a licensed Mercedes design so parts likely are still available for it, still wouldn't be thrilled about cracking that poo poo open and repairing it though.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Max probably just plays a shitload of Dota like any normal tiny child and thus has cultivated a natural hatred of anyone from South America

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

1500quidporsche posted:

I don't mind fixing poo poo. It's when a high major part of the car is a problem child and then it's difficult sourcing parts and then paying out the rear end for them that I'm not a huge fan of.

Having said that I bought an FC RX-7 last year on a whim so YMMV with my advice.

How many miles on it? And did the prior owner replace the apex seals recently?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have a classic G reg VE6 ford with a 2.9l V6 in White.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Vando posted:

Max probably just plays a shitload of Dota like any normal tiny child and thus has cultivated a natural hatred of anyone from South America

I'm not a nerd, what is the link between video games and hating south america?

iospace posted:

How many miles on it? And did the prior owner replace the apex seals recently?

It's around 130k miles or so, I'd have to look at it to remember. I ended up taking it out and sending it to some guy to rebuild for like $700 more than the cost of the rebuild kit itself so it was a fairly decent deal. Engine runs like new now so I'm pretty pleased.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

There's a long story behind it but basically Brazilians in online video games are incredibly annoying.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
You guys see what Ted was saying about Alonso's "engine problem"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYPqGtmLtCU&t=330s

He says that maybe Alonso had an engine problem, but also that Alonso told Spanish media that he'll do everything to get to points, but retire on the last lap if he's not in the points.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

1500quidporsche posted:

It's around 130k miles or so, I'd have to look at it to remember. I ended up taking it out and sending it to some guy to rebuild for like $700 more than the cost of the rebuild kit itself so it was a fairly decent deal. Engine runs like new now so I'm pretty pleased.

Nice. Hopefully she lasts you a while before she needs a new one.

Meanwhile I get to sit here with my crappy cold hatch dreaming of potential future car purchases.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

monkeytennis posted:

The people who live there are British and wish to remain so, therefore we shall defend those lovely rocks to the last man :britain:

I would gladly send both of my children to fight and die to keep the Falkland isles English.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

There's a long story behind it but basically Brazilians in online video games are incredibly annoying.

Also Russians.

But because they literally all cheat and hack like crazy.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

wicka posted:

This is what happens when the Sega Master System is the most popular console in your country for 25 years.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm not a nerd, what is the link between video games and hating south america?

They have their own servers where they'd get decent latency and play with people who speak their language, but instead insist on playing on US servers and still speak only portugese unless you suggest they play even a minor part of their game differently, then they'll swear at you in really bad broken english.

Everything else is typical online gamer poo poo, but they like crank it up to 11 with all of that added on top. See also; russians in DOTA but swap portugese for "cyka blyat"

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I had an ex-boyfriend who wasted tens of thousands on eBay and dodgy dealer shitboxes with 130k+ miles on the clock, and would insist that it was how well the car was looked after not the mileage*, and say I was but a silly woman who knew nothing when I said he was a loving idiot to buy anything off eBay or that dodgy place down the road with more than 30k on the clock with no warrenties, and that I was one to talk as my glorious and outstanding classic ford had well over 130k on the clock so I was a hypocrite. Then the shitboxes would go bang within 4 miles of him picking it up. (No joke, four cars never made it home in less than a month).

*this is true, but you also have to know stuff like what a big end is and not be a gullible twat.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

Man you're my new favourite glutton for punishment, ousting Alonso at McLaren.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

1500quidporsche posted:

Is there a shitload of oil in the Falklands or something? I genuinely don't get why both sides care so much for some lovely rock in the ocean.

Falklands has access rights to the oil field blocks in the area, which pisses argentina off no end

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

learnincurve posted:

I had an ex-boyfriend who wasted tens of thousands on eBay and dodgy dealer shitboxes with 130k+ miles on the clock, and would insist that it was how well the car was looked after not the mileage*, and say I was but a silly woman who knew nothing when I said he was a loving idiot to buy anything off eBay or that dodgy place down the road with more than 30k on the clock with no warrenties, and that I was one to talk as my glorious and outstanding classic ford had well over 130k on the clock so I was a hypocrite. Then the shitboxes would go bang within 4 miles of him picking it up. (No joke, four cars never made it home in less than a month).

*this is true, but you also have to know stuff like what a big end is and not be a gullible twat.

Cheap cars are great for mechanically minded people who get a genuinely good deal. They're money pits for anybody else. We've got a couple of good W203 Mercs knocking around our family as pool cars and they're bullet proof as we've had hem for years and already done the preventative maintenance. There's so much garbage out there waiting for a sucker.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Theophany posted:

Cheap cars are great for mechanically minded people who get a genuinely good deal. They're money pits for anybody else. We've got a couple of good W203 Mercs knocking around our family as pool cars and they're bullet proof as we've had hem for years and already done the preventative maintenance. There's so much garbage out there waiting for a sucker.

Pretty much this, I buy really stupid poo poo that I expect to go wrong as a bit of an indulgence and hobby but there's a reason any mechanic you meet is likely to have a dirt simple Toyota or GM, there's plenty of older cars out there that will cost you far less to own and maintain than a new vehicle.

I was talking to a guy the other day who had paid more in monthly payments and insurance over the course of a year for his Chevy Cruze than I've lit fire to trying to keep this Rotary Abortion afloat and it makes me laugh thinking about it.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Somebody bought a Chevy Cruze?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Human Grand Prix posted:

Somebody bought a Chevy Cruze?

Literally just drove past the Cruze factory.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

My wife is currently scouring ebay for good deal on a 67' GT350 fastback project for the next money pit :ohdear:

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

1500quidporsche posted:

I was talking to a guy the other day who had paid more in monthly payments and insurance over the course of a year for his Chevy Cruze than I've lit fire to trying to keep this Rotary Abortion afloat and it makes me laugh thinking about it.

Man, that is depressing in a hilarious amount of ways.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The last big repair I did to my car was to fix the exhaust leak. The midpipe broke off right before the flange connecting it to the muffler. This was on an 11 year old toyota and everything is running smooth once again.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I've never had a car. But I'm considering one of these Lancia Stratos replicas as a project.

http://www.listerbell.com/

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

learnincurve posted:

I had a friend whose husband also bought tons of crappy cars from eBay to fix up and sell. He ended up going insane and tried to commit suicide by cop.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Norns posted:

I've never had a car. But I'm considering one of these Lancia Stratos replicas as a project.

http://www.listerbell.com/

Homemade knock-off Lancia just throws up all sorts of red flags even for me.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

Homemade knock-off Lancia just throws up all sorts of red flags even for me.

It looks too good to be true. The car on the bottom is one of the best replicas I've ever seen.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Reading all this, I'm really happy i dont have a car

I owned a Volvo 360 once, bought it for 300 euros when I was 19, that was cool. But it didn't pass the check next year so that was that.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Human Grand Prix posted:

It looks too good to be true. The car on the bottom is one of the best replicas I've ever seen.

Plenty of reviews around for em. It's using an Alfa 166 as a base. People seem happy with them.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I have a Honda. Never had a real problem with it, very reliable little car. :-)

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

oliwan posted:

Reading all this, I'm really happy i dont have a car

I owned a Volvo 360 once, bought it for 300 euros when I was 19, that was cool. But it didn't pass the check next year so that was that.

Those are neat (DeDion rear end, rear transaxle, torque tube), in addition to being one of the last RWD economy cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

Those are neat (DeDion rear end, rear transaxle, torque tube), in addition to being one of the last RWD economy cars.

I remember watching an old Rover dealer video where they were comparing the Volvo to whatever crap they had up against it and the loops they were jumping through to try and make the Volvo look like the lesser car was pretty funny.

• Locked thread