Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I thought Sage Steel had good chemistry with the Olds when ABC rolled them out for their sideline panel but Beadle was much better with everyone else, and the current ESPN show is the closest they've had to an entertaining show, even if half the fun I'm having is wondering how long it takes until people realize Chauncey is completely full of poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
Beadle's awesome and a good twitter follow

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Henchman of Santa posted:

Sage is all about the All Lives Matter movement

Yup. Complaining about flight delays during BLM protests and letting Chael Sonnen play with her hair lost her a few fans:

https://twitter.com/ktjazz14/status/849367802574245888

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I completely forgot about that airport thing somehow.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

Yea sage is a black republican who pretty much thinks blacks get shot by police because they don't comply
Maybe she doesn't think of herself as black:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Rick posted:

I thought Sage Steel had good chemistry with the Olds when ABC rolled them out for their sideline panel but Beadle was much better with everyone else, and the current ESPN show is the closest they've had to an entertaining show, even if half the fun I'm having is wondering how long it takes until people realize Chauncey is completely full of poo poo.

Josh Lyman posted:

Maybe she doesn't think of herself as black:

Sage Steele is mixed race (one black parent, one white parent) and having cousins who are similarly mixed race I can tell you that poo poo gets complicated.

HOWEVER...Steele seems to be a bit of a starfucker who doesn't care about much aside from bright lights. She caught some poo poo a couple of years ago when she yanked the mic away from that dude from Arcade Fire after the end of the Celebrity All-Star Game because he decided to get political (honestly it was pretty funny), and then earlier this year she caught a massive amount of poo poo because she complained that the protests over Donald Trump's OG immigration Executive Order meant she had to walk her luggage into LAX by hand.

It's the latter that's pretty much the reason why you're seeing the Twitter reaction that Troy Queef posted.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

She's too serious to be an NBA host. The league is supposed to be fun and she seems almost annoyed whenever the panel veers off course. Maybe that's an ESPN thing, but it's one thing I couldn't stand about her as a host and the show. Beadle is more natural and fun in the role.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

Crazy Ted posted:

Sage Steele is mixed race (one black parent, one white parent) and having cousins who are similarly mixed race I can tell you that poo poo gets complicated.

HOWEVER...Steele seems to be a bit of a starfucker who doesn't care about much aside from bright lights. She caught some poo poo a couple of years ago when she yanked the mic away from that dude from Arcade Fire after the end of the Celebrity All-Star Game because he decided to get political (honestly it was pretty funny), and then earlier this year she caught a massive amount of poo poo because she complained that the protests over Donald Trump's OG immigration Executive Order meant she had to walk her luggage into LAX by hand.

It's the latter that's pretty much the reason why you're seeing the Twitter reaction that Troy Queef posted.

She also got lovely over the whole national anthem protest. That's why she's not invited to the cookout.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

BasicFunk posted:

She also got lovely over the whole national anthem protest. That's why she's not invited to the cookout.
Well it's not surprising Sage was upset over the National Anthem protest, because she's also an Army Brat who was born on a military base.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/SI_ExtraMustard...-shaq-good.html

lmao Ernie Johnson owns

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

It's official, Bill Simmons doesn't have one single shred of self-awareness

quote:

"I’ve never understood it either, and I think now that he’s so old it’s like a marvel that he’s still do it. But, you know, no sense of humor. Now I feel like I’m killing Hubie Brown. But he’s just very technical. He cares about the nuts and bolts. He’s bringing in stuff like, “Ah that reminds in the 70s Bob McAdoo and Bob Kauffman used to run that play.” And it’s like, who are you saying that to? No one under 35 knows who those people are."

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

"Honestly baseball is so boring that..."

You know, i kinda used to think that, but honestly I've grown to appreciate the game, and the local flair each team's ballpark has. Not to mention it feels like the players are actually having some sort of fun out there..

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

As a soon to be former young person I can tell you the old timey geezer commentators is what makes local baseball so good. I can't imagine watching a whole season of flashy or trendy young guys trying to make baseball hip. The point of baseball is that it is chill and relaxing and retro and sorta lame. That's the whole charm. I want my broadcasters to be drunk uncles with silly voices who forget that they've told the same story 50 times and constantly praise poo poo hitters for keeping at bats alive.

Also complaining about baseball being old/boring is the laziest argument, and is usually reserved to random Wednesday sports radio in July. To bust it out in April is even more dumb. Not all sports have to be exciting to teenagers. Not all sports have to have cross-over players and big games that appeal to the whole country. Baseball has always been about the local team and the local culture it has. My parents give no fucks about the MLB but they watch every Jays game, sit through all the dumb commercials, laugh at Greg Zaun and complain about Jamie Campbell. Just b/c they dont retweet Simmons or give a gently caress about his facebook live events with TATE doesn't make them less valuable viewers.

BWV fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 6, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BWV posted:

As a soon to be former young person I can tell you the old timey geezer commentators is what makes local baseball so good. I can't imagine watching a whole season of flashy or trendy young guys trying to make baseball hip. The point of baseball is that it is chill and relaxing and retro and sorta lame. That's the whole charm. I want my broadcasters to be drunk uncles with silly voices who forget that they've told the same story 50 times and constantly praise poo poo hitters for keeping at bats alive.

You described Bob Uecker and I wouldn't have him any other way.

He's also hilarious as all hell which helps a ton.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Tom Hamilton spent downtime during a spring training game to get the indians GM's 6 year old kid to drop some hot scoops about signings

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Phil Chenier, the voice of Wizards basketball for the last 33 years is out at the end of the season :smith:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Who the gently caress is Bill Simmons? Some blogger?

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves

Sad about this. They have so much chemistry.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

BWV posted:

Also complaining about baseball being old/boring is the laziest argument, and is usually reserved to random Wednesday sports radio in July. To bust it out in April is even more dumb. Not all sports have to be exciting to teenagers. Not all sports have to have cross-over players and big games that appeal to the whole country. Baseball has always been about the local team and the local culture it has. My parents give no fucks about the MLB but they watch every Jays game, sit through all the dumb commercials, laugh at Greg Zaun and complain about Jamie Campbell. Just b/c they dont retweet Simmons or give a gently caress about his facebook live events with TATE doesn't make them less valuable viewers.

I think that's kinda what makes NBA, MLB, and NHL more fun to follow. There's a great deal of local flavor when it comes through via play by play, following the team and the like. By default? This makes it much easier to avoid idiots dropping hot takes during pre game shows and during the broadcasts themselves.

The NFL and to an extent CBB/CFB world...do not have that. I mean, you got the "Radio Networks" which are a joy to listen to, but on tv? Forget it. You're better off muting whatever wanker CBS has calling the game and listening to the local guys call it on radio. (BTW? Back in the 50's and early 60's? This was not the case. There used to be two feeds for both teams.... :negative:)

Hammy being brought up in this thread is an excellent example of a guy you want. He knows the game, knows the players, can tell you the silly little info about them ("oh he grew up in Veneuzla...was so poor he had to use a milk carton as mitt. The Pitch...fouled and away. You know Jim, He said growing up he idolized Ricky Henderson.."). Guys like Eucker are also what makes the game beloved by a lot of people as well.

But yeah Simmons is an idiot.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/sportingnews/status/853821058574626816

In any case Greenberg's morning show is not going to work

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:stare:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Crazy Ted posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

:cripes:

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I laughed.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Wait, that wasn't the response they were looking for? Whoops!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Holy poo poo

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

They could've at least gone with "military" or something ffs

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
That's a really good joke, y'all are haters

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Deadspin comment about that made me LOL. Basically, that Thames was also in Korea due to his WAR.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Las Vegas will become the third NHL team to have a spanish language radio broadcast along with Chicago and Florida.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Because there is nothing Mexicans love more than Modelo, Keno, lottery scratchers ... and hockey sportsbetting?

Something doesn't add up here.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Robnoxious posted:

Because there is nothing Mexicans love more than Modelo, Keno, lottery scratchers ... and hockey sportsbetting?

Something doesn't add up here.

It's an expansion team trying to appeal to as large of an audience as possible. Obviously Hispanic people don't have much of a history with hockey compared to other sports like baseball but it's probably a minimal cost and it might work. poo poo, if Morrissey can get a huge following with the Hispanic community, why can't a hockey team?

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 22, 2017

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It's an expansion team trying to appeal to as large of an audience as possible. Obviously Hispanic people don't have much of a history with hockey compared to other sports like baseball but it's probably a minimal cost and it might work. poo poo, if Morrissey can get a huge following with the Hispanic community, why can't a hockey team?

When the Panthers made the super bowl I remember an article about their Spanish radio broadcast and how popular it was or something like that. Never hurt anyone to reach out to an untapped demographic.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Doesn't Harnaryan Singh's Punjabi webcast of the canucks games sometimes draw bigger audiences than TV? I swear I heard at times he gets viwership well over a million.

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

The Kings have a substantial Latino and Asian fan base, especially out of East LA and the South Bay. I'm actually surprised more teams don't have a Spanish broadcast.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

C. Everett Koop posted:

When the Panthers made the super bowl I remember an article about their Spanish radio broadcast and how popular it was or something like that. Never hurt anyone to reach out to an untapped demographic.

It's a requirement of rural southern public high school teams to have at least one Hispanic kicker recruited from the soccer team.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

C. Everett Koop posted:

Spanish broadcasters make everything awesome!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gpf-A_Axpg

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

BasicFunk posted:

Spanish broadcasters make everything awesome!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gpf-A_Axpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjp1Zrvn8VQ

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

What do you do when your respective solo shows are crashing into obscurity? You try to put the band back together, of course!

quote:

ESPN is using “the greatest team in sports never played a game” as a tagline for their 30 for 30 documentary about the sports radio partnership of Mike Francesa and Chris “Mad Dog” Russo, and that “Mike and the Mad Dog” documentary’s premiere at New York’s Tribeca/ESPN Sports Film Festival Friday suggested that said greatest team is open to a potential reunion. Francesa and Russo were both there, and when they were interviewed on stage by moderator Andrea Joyce, they discussed that possibility. Joyce asked “Could you see yourselves in some form reuniting and giving the fans what they want,” Francesa said “Yes,” and Russo said “That’s the first time I’ve ever heard you say that!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

DJExile posted:

What do you do when your respective solo shows are crashing into obscurity? You try to put the band back together, of course!

It makes sense. I never liked either one of them individually, but their show had a dynamic to it that made for a good listen.