Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

JoelJoel posted:

Don't you have some sort of government agency in place to prevent such monopolistic practices? I assume they don't routinely put execs from BCE and Roger's on their board. That would be too crazy.

The Canadian government mandates that the major telecommunications companies maintain full wired service for TV, internet and phone anywhere in Canada, including the middle of bugfuck nowhere in the northern parts with very few people. This costs the telcos a ton of money and because of that the CRTC tends to be hands off regarding regulation unless it's absolutely egregious, and even then the response tends to be pretty uneven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I see. You must have really great cell service and affordable voice and data plans.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

JoelJoel posted:

I see. You must have really great cell service and affordable voice and data plans.

Yeah and our internet access is totally NOT third world level....in opposite land!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

JoelJoel posted:

Don't you have some sort of government agency in place to prevent such monopolistic practices? I assume they don't routinely put execs from BCE and Roger's on their board. That would be too crazy.

:(

JoelJoel posted:

6 gigs of data is only $80 a month now, and they no longer charge for caller ID!

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

abuse culture. posted:

Yeah and our internet access is totally NOT third world level....in opposite land!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was true even a year or two ago but it's gotten a lot better. I now have 150mbps service for like $60 a month from Shaw, and an HD cable package with the shaw gateway for like $30 a month including hd sportsnet, tsn and so on. It's still worse than the US but not nearly as much worse as it used to be.

Cell packages are still rear end, although coverage is getting pretty good, even in our extensive wilderness areas.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Actually one of the few benefits of being in New Brunswick is that NBTEL back in the 70s laid fibre op across the province mostly for businesses. Now that the tech has arrived to allow fibre at home I really don't see a reason to ever get cable. I can download 8 gig seasons of shows in like 40 minutes. If that.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Canada is the place where Verizon was considering coming to Canada and Bell, Telus and Rogers pitched a poo poo fit to the government about how that would put them out of business (as in they would be forced to give reasonable plans for mobile) and the government agreed so no Verizon in Canada.

Or something, it was very dumb

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

I still pay for cable cause I like not stealing stuff

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

The Golden Man posted:

Shill.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

It's steal or be stolen from.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
When paying is more convenient than stealing, the vast majority of people pay. It's not your moral duty to make their 19th century business model work.

The Golden Man
Aug 4, 2007

I guess I just value not stealing kind of more than convenience but your opinion is interesting

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
I'm fortunate enough that I get all the Habs games between RDS and Sportsnet with a basic cable package, but elsewhere than Montreal I'd prolly be hosed and have to watch streamz.

Let me put it this way: if everyone dutifully paid their bills, what incentive would broadcasters and the league have to improve service?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I get games from RDS, RDS2, TSN, CityTV and CBC and if I can't cover all of Montreal (those exclusive to sportsnet / TVA sports), I either stream or don't watch the game. When I have 3+ channels that I pay for and can show me a game and I don't get it, I'm not gonna pay for more just because the league and teams agreed to lovely deals for me.

Also I refuse to pay for TVA Sports given Quebecor used to be an employer of mine that threatened the subsidiary company I used to work for because the local population took out their ads form their regional newspaper here during their last lock out, flat out "if you don't start buying ads again, we'll just close business x, y, and z in your city in retaliation". I'm trying to give them the least amount of money possible since then. It's kinda personal.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/StoolChiclets/status/854137401387646977

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

The Golden Man posted:

same, except the opposite

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

This is our year.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

The Leafs are pretty good

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
In Bozak We Trust

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

Drunk Canuck posted:

This is our year.

It's strange to see this post in the non-playoff thread, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I was gunna say; odd place to start rooting on the Leafs from.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Stretch Marx posted:

not really

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Stretch Marx posted:

It makes it funnier when that can be quoted later in the thread.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
I can't believe the caps are gonna let the pens win the Stanley cup again. I'll never forgive them.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Powershift posted:

It makes it funnier when that can be quoted later in the thread.

I misplaced it, but it is a sincere message.

Kilza
Oct 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/854189212920315905

As somebody who thinks Krueger is overrated as a coach, I would very much love this. :getin:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kilza posted:

As somebody who thinks Krueger is overrated as a coach, I would very much love this. :getin:

OTOH, he'd have to be an upgrade to Desjardins, no?

Not that he'd have much to work with, the Sedins refusing to accept a trade would handcuff them even if their GM was competent.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

OTOH, he'd have to be an upgrade to Desjardins, no?

He was a pretty bad coach on the Oilers who refused to line match and tried to get by on pumping up the team with good vibes.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Krueger would still be better than the last two guys the Canucks had behind the bench.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS

Wonderllama posted:

I can't believe the caps are gonna let the pens win the Stanley cup again. I'll never forgive them.

Yeah, cause when I think of teams that can stop the Pens, the Washington Capitals shoot to the top of the list.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

He was a pretty bad coach on the Oilers who refused to line match and tried to get by on pumping up the team with good vibes.

on the other hand EPL teams (and top tier soccer clubs in general) seem streets ahead when it comes to the professional expertise that is applied to running the teams. He might have a ton of valuable insight on how real first rate sports organizations handle their business from the management to the coaching levels. I mean that would be useful to any NHL franchise, but just imagine how critical it could be to the Canucks!

Ken Hitchcock mentioned that he had attended a conference put on by some institute where some of the biggest soccer teams in the world shared their research and methods on working with young athletes and developing players, and supposedly it was a real eye-opener to him. Gave him enough inspiration to come back to coaching so he could try applying alot of those methods at the NHL level.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Kilza posted:

not sure why he would leave a better paid position to come back, but yeah I'll go with the one coach that wasn't poo poo prior to your current one

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

JawKnee posted:

not sure why he would leave a better paid position to come back, but yeah I'll go with the one coach that wasn't poo poo prior to your current one

Krueger would be alright by me, but you have to imagine it's more than just the coaching role (unless he's really desperate to be in the NHL in some capacity again). I figure the Canucks are likely offering the coaching role and some degree of managerial say as well. Whether that's as a replacement GM or just something similar to what Maloney has in Arizona is probably what any sort of hold up is.

It's not as big a drop as people seem to suggest, it's hardly like he'd be leaving Chelsea or Man Utd. He'd be moving on from the Chair position for a mid range EPL team to an NHL front office/head coaching gig. Southhampton were just valued at £259M (around $330M USD) or half to a third of what the Canucks are worth. It's a step up assuming he's something more than just a coach.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
I just don't see why you don't just go with Travis Green. If there's one thing the Canucks front office likes, it's PR. Hiring the AHL coach would show you're actually committed to a youth movement.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Yaya posted:

I just don't see why you don't just go with Travis Green. If there's one thing the Canucks front office likes, it's PR. Hiring the AHL coach would show you're actually committed to a youth movement.

I think the vast majority of fans are in the mood for a steady, experienced hand at this point. They went rookie president/coach/GM last time and it was a giant disaster, I'm not sure there's any patience for growing pains this time around. Plus Babcock is anything but a 'youth movement' type coach and he went to the Leafs with a mandate to grow the kids and that worked a charm. I don't care who they hire so long as they promise not to play Megna and Chaput with the Sedins.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

spectacular piece on deadspin that lays blame for the Red Wings' malaise directly at the feet of Ken Holland

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
When is Benning going to be on the hot seat? Is it possible for him to gently caress up the draft so much that he needs to start updating his CV?

EDIT: ^^^^^^^^^ :whitewater:

quote:

“If Holland was competent enough to figure out that the rebuild is going to take more than a year, then maybe they could possibly trust him with all of his years of experience and all of his connections,” said one person who used to work for the Ilitches and requested anonymity for fear of retribution. “Maybe he could do a good job of having a turnaround in three to five years. But he is absolutely against it. He wants, like, a one-year turnaround. Which means he’s probably going to go and blow money on old veteran players and his usual crap. So I just, I think it’s one of those things where they know he’s not going to change and he hasn’t really been forced to change in the past.”

Mike_V fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Apr 18, 2017

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Mike_V posted:

When is Benning going to be on the hot seat? Is it possible for him to gently caress up the draft so much that he needs to start updating his CV?

If Vancouver keeps 2nd overall and Benning drafts Rasmussen instead of Hischier, his job might finally be in peril.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

That anonymously quoted dude has to be AsinHowe, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Thufir posted:

That anonymously quoted dude has to be AsinHowe, right?

I mean, if it were, he's not wrong.

• Locked thread