Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Also it's not available now.

Buncha liars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

chaleski posted:

My only real complaint with the controls for Zelda is the dodge counters, which seem random and arbitrary as hell. Parrys seem really consistent and are satisfying, though. I'll do a perfect dodge and not trigger a counter, then other times I'll dodge an attack a second or two early and far out of the way in no danger and trigger it.

I agree The entire dodge system is very hosed and it would probably matter if armor didnt straight up 1-1 delete damage so that at over 50 armor you start to only take the minimum default quarter heart of damage vs very powerful enemies

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
"art direction! art direction!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a cell shaded low-poly corn cob

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Wheany posted:

"art direction! art direction!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a cell shaded low-poly corn cob

i refuse to play a game if the protaganist doesn't have at least 32,000,000 polygons

i will sit and count them, don't test me

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Repostin for new page

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Nintendo should do that for Zelda II.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

Nintendo should do that for Zelda II.

Super metroid first

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I'll replay the gently caress out of BotW Remastered in 1080p/60fps in 4-5 years on the Super Switch-U

Real hurthling! posted:

I agree The entire dodge system is very hosed and it would probably matter if armor didnt straight up 1-1 delete damage so that at over 50 armor you start to only take the minimum default quarter heart of damage vs very powerful enemies

Parrying and countering the poo poo out of everyone is my prefered way to play any game that has it, please Nintendo why tease me with such a half-functional mechanic

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Me. Which is why I'm playing it right now.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Lakbay posted:

I've barely been following Switch news but I heard Spla2n got a July release date and was wondering if that's going to have a bundle

If they do a Splatoon 2 bundle I bet it'll be like that drat Mario Kart 8 bundle where it's exclusive to some random country for some reason. Seriously what the gently caress why is the MK8DX bundle Russia-exclusive, Nintendo?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Feenix posted:

Me. Which is why I'm playing it right now.

What region are you in that it's out on the Switch?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The real future of game bundling is Console + Game + Amiibo

Get em hooked on the initial buy in

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Okay, next question, how does one preorder Mario Kart 8 from Target for in-store pickup?

I'm willing to jump a few hoops for a Rubik's Cube, but I'm not willing to wait until May to play.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Infinitum posted:

What region are you in that it's out on the Switch?

Seattle by way of JPN eshop

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Feenix posted:

Seattle by way of JPN eshop

Does it come in English as well? :nyoron:

Another interesting tidbit is that they're also listing a release date for Minecraft as 12th of May
Mario themed Minecraft? That's going to sell like hotcakes.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Infinitum posted:

Does it come in English as well? :nyoron:

Another interesting tidbit is that they're also listing a release date for Minecraft as 12th of May
Mario themed Minecraft? That's going to sell like hotcakes.

Yep. 100% universal.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I got a $12 amiibo for christmas and the bonuses on BotW were lame so I sold it for $50. It sold within an hour of posting it on eBay. It's insane.

Amiibos should be regulated by the SEC.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Feenix posted:

Yep. 100% universal.

Hmmmm was considering picking up Kamiko for 500yen as well.

Decisions decisions.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Do not get the wanderman! It's a trap game!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I wish they'd trap u r posts

in a dungeon

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Infinitum posted:

I wish they'd trap u r posts

in a dungeon

:[

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
Wonder Girl!!

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

It was a great game to begin with and a remake done right, gtfo.

Unfortunately my brain doesn't allow me to replay games, so I'll be skipping it but it looks fantastic.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Infinitum posted:

The real future of game bundling is Console + Game + Amiibo

Get em hooked on the initial buy in

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

this is a stupid dumb bad opinion and you are therefore a stupid dumb bad person!!!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Does the remake do anything besides update the graphics?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I had no problems with perfect dodging in Zelda :shrug: Mostly had to learn to be more patient I kept going way too early.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Infinitum posted:

Hmmmm was considering picking up Kamiko for 500yen as well.

Decisions decisions.

Well you'd need to get a 3k yen card and after Wonderboy you'd have 800 left...

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
Man after playing so much Tetris trying to switch to Puyo Puyo is intimidating. Getting annihilated and can't come up with better than a 3 chain. :negative:

Has anything been said about pre-loading? Wondering if I'll be able to download Mario Kart early.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

LethalGeek posted:

I had no problems with perfect dodging in Zelda :shrug: Mostly had to learn to be more patient I kept going way too early.

It's an acquired skill that you can get used to the quirks of, but that doesn't make it less buggy/funky. There are absolutely some attacks that are worse about it than others, and plenty of situations of "I literally dodged that perfectly but it wasn't inside the perfect dodge trigger window", "I hit the trigger window and watched that weapon slow mo directly through my midsection without taking damage", and "that weapon came nowhere near to hitting me without dodging, but because I side-hopped at the right time it still counts" (spear thrusts seem especially prone to the last one)

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Does the remake do anything besides update the graphics?

Looks like Dragon's Trap is just getting upgraded graphics. The game is apparently such a close reproduction that you can use passwords from the original with the remake and vice versa.

Anyone know how Dragon's Trap compares to Wonder Boy in Monster World? The latter on Genesis was my poo poo back in the day but Dragon's Trap looks like it's simpler and has less depth.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Feenix posted:

Well you'd need to get a 3k yen card and after Wonderboy you'd have 800 left...

Aye that's what I'm lookin at.

It's sorely tempting, but the Play-Asia 3000yen card is around $40AUD.
Wonderboy is only $26AUD

Not sure I'm down for a sub-1hr game either after conversion fees, even if Destructoid did give it an 8.

Tempting temping~
Best to just wait methinks.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

acksplode posted:

Looks like Dragon's Trap is just getting upgraded graphics. The game is apparently such a close reproduction that you can use passwords from the original with the remake and vice versa.

Anyone know how Dragon's Trap compares to Wonder Boy in Monster World? The latter on Genesis was my poo poo back in the day but Dragon's Trap looks like it's simpler and has less depth.

I had a lot of fun with the game as a kid. Played it to death. I've never played WBiMW so can't help you compare them.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

People are talking how it looks in a graphical sense, not it's aesthetic. The game is aesthetically beautiful and looks when you're up close to stuff but everything in the distance is pretty muddy, 900p at 30fps sucks and there's noticeable pop-in. It's limitations of the hardware and they pushed the Switch as far as it can go, but pulling out the Sheikah tablet to zoom into anything in the distance looks like god drat poo poo.

I forgot about this and it's honestly the bigger problem than jaggies or framerate. When the game touts its exploration and the experience of looking out over the land and marking your own landmarks it's kind of lame to zoom in and see a collection of muddy hills and landmarks that are hilariously stark and obviously missing 80% of the stuff that will appear as you get closer.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Tender Bender posted:

I forgot about this and it's honestly the bigger problem than jaggies or framerate. When the game touts its exploration and the experience of looking out over the land and marking your own landmarks it's kind of lame to zoom in and see a collection of muddy hills and landmarks that are hilariously stark and obviously missing 80% of the stuff that will appear as you get closer.

Zooming in isn't exploring, go wander over to that muddy hill a few miles away and see what's up.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's messed up how in photos the red joycons look good and the blue joycons look bad, but in reality the red joycons look bad and the blue joycons look good.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Right now my hot take on Wonder Boy is that it makes me smile and I like games like this sometimes and my only minor complaint is the "momentum change" animation feels a little like you're on an Ice World sometimes which can get a little hairy for platforming.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's messed up how in photos the red joycons look good and the blue joycons look bad, but in reality the red joycons look bad and the blue joycons look good.

Yeah, the red ones are super light in person. I wonder how the yellow ones are going to look, was thinking about getting those.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Echophonic posted:

Yeah, the red ones are super light in person. I wonder how the yellow ones are going to look, was thinking about getting those.

The yellow ones seem like they'll be more of a pear green than a banana yellow-- chartreuse, basically. Should look nice paired with the blue ones. But considering how inaccurately the other colours photograph, who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
If anyone is still looking for decent cases for their system, this is the one I bought.
https://www.amazon.com/Industries-N...ndo+switch+case

I originally went to the store looking for a hardshell case and settled on this one after feeling it. When I travel, I like to put my portables in a case and then put them in my backpack. I generally put the ac adaptors in the backpack for devices and get cases that don't fit an ac adaptor. If you're looking for one that can hold your ac adaptor, this isn't it. The system fits well inside with joy cons attached. The game holders are nice and it has a zipper pouch inside that could hold more games or a small set of headphones.

A good case if you don't mind the ac adaptor not in the case and hard shell isn't as important to you. Would recommend.

• Locked thread