Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

It shouldn't be too hard to make Shadowman compelling. You give him Dr. Strange style stories where he has to deal with weird poo poo in Deadside instead of making him fight normal villains.

Hire me, Valiant, I can do it!

But that's what they did. It wasn't that great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

X-O posted:

But that's what they did. It wasn't that great.

Darn.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I don't like the Deadside stuff and I don't like Ninjak stories where he deals with it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well drat. Now Faith is ending too. So uh, hopefully they get some more ongoings going soon.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

X-O posted:

Well drat. Now Faith is ending too. So uh, hopefully they get some more ongoings going soon.

Where did you read that? What if this is all getting ready for Harbringer War 2

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

X-O posted:

I forget which thread it was, but Rhyno said that they were told about a bunch of new ongoings on a recent retailer's conference call, but he can't say anything until they're officially announced at C2E2.

Rhyno posted:

It was a conference call! They're hosting a lunch at the retailers summit before C2E2 and will be announcing things there at at the con.

Better? :shepface:

We Got Us A Bread fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Apr 7, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Martinpale posted:

I forget which thread it was, but Rhyno said that they were told about a bunch of new ongoings at a recent retailer's summit, but he can't say anything until they're officially announced at C2E2.

It was a conference call! They're hosting a lunch at the retailers summit before C2E2 and will be announcing things there at at the con.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I'm just popping in here to say X-O #1 is gorgeous and I'm glad it sold well. I can't wait to hear about what else Valiant has been up to. :stoked:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Three new ongoings and two new limted series announced. Ninjak is done after the current arc as well.

NINJA-K #1
Written by CHRISTOS GAGE Art by TOMAS GIORELLO Cover by TREVOR HAIRSINE

A NEW CAN’T-MISS ONGOING SERIES! From acclaimed writer Christos Gage (Netflix’s Daredevil) and superstar artist Tomas Giorello (X-O MANOWAR), the United Kingdom’s most dreaded intelligence operative delves into the cold, calculating world of espionage and international intrigue! For nearly a century, MI-6, the most elite branch of Britain’s clandestine intelligence service, has honed a ruthlessly effective, top-secret division – THE NINJA PROGRAMME – into one of its nation’s most finely wielded weapons. Tasked as the first and last line of defense for queen and country, this small shadow army of agents and assassins has produced a succession of notable assets, including NINJA-A, the Queen’s silent weapon of World War I; NINJA-E, the globetrotting secret agent that pulled the Cold War back from the brink of armageddon; and, most recently, NINJA-K, aka Colin King, a brash but fearless instrument of lethality that has saved the world from madmen and terror at every turn. But now…an unknown enemy is hunting and killing members of THE NINJA PROGRAMME one by one – and NINJAK is next on the list. ONGOING SERIES | BEGINNING NOVEMBER 2017

ETERNITY #1
Written by MATT KINDT Art & Cover by TREVOR HAIRSINE

A VISIONARY NEW SERIES! From the minds of New York Times best-selling writer Matt Kindt and blockbuster artist Trevor Hairsine comes an expedition into the Unknown. Beyond time… Beyond space… Beyond reality itself… ETERNITY awaits! This October, Valiant unveils a new plane of existence beyond our own and unleashes a universe of new worlds, new beings, and new myths… LIMITED SERIES | BEGINNING OCTOBER 2017

BLOODSHOT SALVATION #1
Written by JEFF LEMIRE Art by LEWIS LAROSA & MICO SUAYAN Cover by RYAN BODENHEIM

A BLOCKBUSTER NEW ONGOING SERIES! From New York Times best-selling writer Jeff Lemire (BLOODSHOT REBORN, Moon Knight) and extraordinary artists Lewis LaRosa (BLOODSHOT REBORN) & Mico Suayan (BLOODSHOT REBORN), a bloody and vengeful new era for Bloodshot begins this September as Ray Garrison escapes his violent past to build the one thing he never thought he’d earn: a family. But when a hateful secret from his true love’s past threatens their fragile peace, Bloodshot will be forced to run headlong into a barrage of blood, bullets, and broken bones for a revenge-fueled assault that will have crushing consequences for those he holds most dear… Now: In the arms of his beloved girlfriend Magic, Bloodshot has finally found hope for the future…in the form of the couple’s unborn child. But when Magic’s estranged family – a cruel and sadistic clan of homegrown criminals – re-emerge to lay claim to their lost daughter, Bloodshot will be pushed back to the brink of madness, mayhem, and warfare… Soon: Eight years from today, Bloodshot’s daughter has inherited her father’s incredible abilities. Hunted by a high-tech kill squad called Omen, Jessie must hone her powers…and learn how to survive before the world is swallowed whole by the darkness that now pervades America… ONGOING SERIES | BEGINNING SEPTEMBER 2017

QUANTUM AND WOODY! (2017) #1
Written by DANIEL KIBBLESMITH Art by KANO Cover by JULIAN TOTINO TEDESCO

THE WORLD’S WORST SUPERHERO TEAM RETURNS IN AN EXPLOSIVE NEW ONGOING SERIES! This December, four-time-offending writer Daniel Kibblesmith (The Late Show with Stephen Colbert) and taser-proof artist Kano (Daredevil) give the Valiant Universe the adjective-worthy superheroes it deserves: QUANTUM AND WOODY! Sometimes…you embrace your destiny. And sometimes…you and your trouble-making adopted brother find yourselves trapped in a scientific lab explosion that grants you $@&%ing awesome super-powers. As a result of their accident, Eric and Woody Henderson – aka Quantum and Woody – must “klang” their wristbands together every 24 hours or both dissipate into nothingness. Which makes superhero-ing pretty awkward when you’re not on speaking terms at the moment. See, Eric has been keeping a pretty big secret: He knows who Woody’s birth father really is…and where he’s been hiding all these years. With great power comes great sibling rivalry! This winter, you’ll believe two men and one goat can split a one-bedroom apartment and still be a credible threat to evil and injustice everywhere when QUANTUM AND WOODY make headlines and take names!
ONGOING SERIES | BEGINNING DECEMBER 2017

FAITH AND THE FUTURE FORCE #1
Written by JODY HOUSER Art by STEPHEN SEGOVIA and BARRY KITSON Cover by JELENA KEVIC-DJURDJEVIC

A SPECTACULAR SUMMER EVENT! Every second counts when acclaimed writer Jody Houser (Mother Panic, Star Wars: Rogue One), explosive artist Stephen Segovia (NINJAK, Action Comics), comics legend Barry Kitson (Fantastic Four), and special surprise guests push Faith into a centuries-spanning fight for existence alongside the greatest heroes of the Valiant Universe…past, present, and future! Faith “Zephyr” Herbert – former member of Unity, current Harbinger Renegade, and Los Angeles’ #1 superhero – is the universe’s last, best chance at survival! Centuries from today, a devious artificial intelligence has unleashed a blistering attack on the very foundations of time…one that is unwriting history from beginning to end! Now, with her options exhausted, Neela Sethi, Timewalker – the self-appointed protector of what is and will be – has returned to the 21st century to recruit Earth’s greatest champions of today and tomorrow to oppose this existential threat…and she needs Faith to lead them! But why Faith? And why now? This July, fly to the farthest edges of the future in a death-defying race to save time itself, as Faith leads the charge alongside Valiant’s greatest heroes…and becomes a new legend for the ages! LIMITED SERIES | BEGINNING JULY 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Welp that's everything from the conference call that was supposed to be announced at C2E2.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ninjak nooooooooo why couldn't you last forever.

Oh well time for a new Ninjak I suppose.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm excited to see Christos Gage come to Valiant. Also happy that Kibblesmith got the new Quantum and Woody book as he's been great on Valiant High. His sense of humor should fit in fine there. I'm most happy seeing Neela back in Faith and The Future Force though. I've been waiting for someone to use Neela again.

Also this promo art looks great.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Also I have yet to watch it since I was at work but the Valiant Summit was streamed live on Youtube if you want to catch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh_PERxqovE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5Z0AES3kvw

X-O fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 18, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That Ninjak cover looks almost exactly like a 90s cover. It just needs less subdued colors and for the metal part of his arm and his sword to be foil.

Oh and some pointy letters to be yelling about how it's a CAN'T MISS ISSUE THAT CHANGES NINJAK FOREVER!!!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Valiant continues to be the best at conventioning. Got to gab with Dinesh again today and they gave me a shitload of free stuff which I'm gonna pass along to my customers.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Complete with trademark NERD BOSS hat?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He had an XO hat on when I talked to him.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So am I crazy or is the new Britannia not on Comixology? I see the pre-order pages for issues 2 and 3 but the page for 1 goes nowhere.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Does Valiant High have to end? This comic is so much fun it's ridiculous

Greekonomics
Jun 22, 2009

X-O posted:

So am I crazy or is the new Britannia not on Comixology? I see the pre-order pages for issues 2 and 3 but the page for 1 goes nowhere.

For some reason they have it under the first Britannia series (along with the same cover as the original first issue)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Greekonomics posted:

For some reason they have it under the first Britannia series (along with the same cover as the original first issue)

Oh man, thanks so much.

I was going here: https://www.comixology.com/Britannia-We-Who/comics-series/89917

An couple hours ago they had a #1 up but it sent you to an error page and then not long after that it disappeared so I had no idea what was going on.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

bobkatt013 posted:

Does Valiant High have to end? This comic is so much fun it's ridiculous

You ain't lying! Every gag is spot on, including the great Mirage moment.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Space Fish posted:

You ain't lying! Every gag is spot on, including the great Mirage moment.

The good news is that the same writer is going to be on Quantum and Woody later this year. So at least he's sticking around.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Checking in to say Faith is still so refreshing compared to much of the superhero landscape. Always warmhearted, geeky, self-aware, and ultimately sweet, almost to the point of toothache. Latest issue is no exception.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Free Comic Book Day reactions:
X-O Manowar: Nice little anecdote, hits that ideal target of not affecting the monthly storyline while still establishing an accurate tone for new readers.
Bloodshot: "Once upon a time, I was Bloodshot. Then I didn't like being Bloodshot and quit it for a minute, but I met some other Bloodshots and that was nice. Then I quit for keeps, except now? I'm Bloodshot again. Well, not the original Bloodshot, but a nano-accurate simulation with the same memories as the original. You can just call me Bloodshot."

Promotion-wise:
Quantum & Woody are a welcome comeback
Faith + time travel = two kinds of stories Valiant tells really well
PSI-LORDS more like PSI-DORKS
Eternity ... Divinity has been a golden goose, here's hoping for a continuation of that caliber art and story

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Crossposting from digital comics thread:
Valiant High #1-3 on sale.
Supposedly will only ever be digital-only, so now's the time to try this series out! Leans heavily on in-jokes and references from the Valiant universe, but is also cute and lighthearted to the max.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Manowar owns

That is all

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

got any sevens posted:

Manowar owns

That is all

Yup

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxTbRqCdbps

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oh my God. The art in Rapture. It's amazing. And between this and his Deadside arc on Ninjak Matt Kindt is doing some really loving awesome world building with the Deadside. So much better than what we got in those early Shadowman books.

I keep dreading for when something by Valiant lets me down, and other than that early Shadowman it never ever happens.

I really hope Kindt is doing the Shadowman series that starts next year.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Agreed on Rapture. I was originally skeptical because Ninjak* and Shadowman are lower-tier Valiant characters in my book, but issue one of Rapture came along and made me a subscriber. Between that, Secret Weapons, and the better-than-ever Manowar, this looks to be another golden summer for Valiant.

*Seven Blades of Master Darque, Ninjak's arc that directly precedes Rapture, was pretty lackluster. Gathering the "seven blades" deserved a richer setup, and as a result the cast just kinda shows up and rushes straight to the finale. Ninjak tends to make for a strong cameo and an okay lead, in my opinion.

Speaking of Matt Kindt's place as a key architect of the Valiant universe, check out his Paste interview.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Space Fish posted:

Agreed on Rapture. I was originally skeptical because Ninjak* and Shadowman are lower-tier Valiant characters in my book, but issue one of Rapture came along and made me a subscriber. Between that, Secret Weapons, and the better-than-ever Manowar, this looks to be another golden summer for Valiant.

*Seven Blades of Master Darque, Ninjak's arc that directly precedes Rapture, was pretty lackluster. Gathering the "seven blades" deserved a richer setup, and as a result the cast just kinda shows up and rushes straight to the finale. Ninjak tends to make for a strong cameo and an okay lead, in my opinion.

Speaking of Matt Kindt's place as a key architect of the Valiant universe, check out his Paste interview.

The entire series has been about gathering the seven blades. The first arc was all about them and they were tied in with almost every other arc with the exception of the one that sets up Rapture, and I might be forgetting their involvement.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Fair enough, but I don't think the Seven Blades were given much to do. It was very much the Ninjak + Roku show, which is fine, but the kick-rear end #1 cover and solicit led me astray.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

King of Valiant Matt Kindt and Oscar Nominee Eric Heisserer are co-writing Harbinger Wars 2.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Giorello and Allen are heavy hitters, I'll read anything they're working on.
And as much as this event is a "War" "2," here's hoping it's just a neat status quo shake-up for several characters like the first HW was.

Bloodshot being programmed to wreck Harada's poo poo, complete with briefing cutaways to explain how it works, is in my Top 5 Valiant Moments.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Haven't read today's Rai yet, but I'm itching to get to it. I updated the OP and the second post with the upcoming titles and noticed that the August comic has been announced finally. Not sure how I either missed or forgot about it but Fred Van Lente is doing a War Mother mini series. So I'm all over that.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Rai was pretty meh if you have followed Valiant at all.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Jordan7hm posted:

yeah it wasn't very good.

Britannia, however, continues to be cool.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Harbinger sale on Comixology includes Imperium issues + trades, same price either way.
...I don't need to reread Imperium, right?
...okay, which format should I buy?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Digital trades have selected pencil pages at the end of each issue, if you care. I always get trades because sorting sucks in the app so the less the better imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Jordan7hm posted:

I'm just getting into Valiant so I found it a bit helpful.