Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Gologle posted:

There are a few things he can't copy, however. The only one I know off the top of my head is the Arie family's sword technique.

he did copy that though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Baam was a genuine and good person who drew others to him through his kindness and gentle nature long before he was fighting rankers

Just a minor note, but I don't think Baam has ever seriously fought anyone close to a Ranker (not counting the fight with Quant where Quant wasn't allowed to use shinsoo or the game he did with Mule Love, since neither of them were seriously fighting him). It's unclear where Hoaqin stands, but I'm pretty sure he is still far weaker than a ranker without all his souls joined up. Stronger Regulars many floors above where Baam currently is could probably still defeat him; he's just far stronger than a Regular would normally be at the floor he's at.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Ytlaya posted:

Just a minor note, but I don't think Baam has ever seriously fought anyone close to a Ranker (not counting the fight with Quant where Quant wasn't allowed to use shinsoo or the game he did with Mule Love, since neither of them were seriously fighting him). It's unclear where Hoaqin stands, but I'm pretty sure he is still far weaker than a ranker without all his souls joined up. Stronger Regulars many floors above where Baam currently is could probably still defeat him; he's just far stronger than a Regular would normally be at the floor he's at.

I dunno, I feel like Baam's probably going about things nearly the same way as Urek -- more powerful than rankers despite not getting to the top yet (like when he fought Arie). He's way, way too strong for whatever floor he's on to a huge degree. It wouldn't surprise me if he could take down a weak ranker.

We get all these things like how Kaiser's wolf could tear through a Ranker's skin, and Baam's shinsoo reinforcement was on par with that. We saw him blow up Kaiser's armor which was considered high ranker level gear. There's only so many times he goes up against impossible odds. I feel like a bottom of the barrel ranker would be in the same vein.

I think our view might be a bit skewed. Most of the rankers we've seen in action are top tier dudes like Karaka, Yuri, that assassin sheep costume dude or Ha Jin Sung etc etc. Who's the weakest ranker we've seen in action? Quant or Mule? Androssi was already physically equal to Quant on Floor 1. I don't think it's a stretch to think Baam could go toe to toe with someone like Mule Love right now (frankly it didn't seem like Mule was holding back THAT much with the "Oh and also if you happen to die during this game that's just the way it is!" stuff). And I'm sure there's Rankers weaker than Mule.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

When Reflejo powered up he was a B-rank regular and was too powerful for baam then

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Jose posted:

When Reflejo powered up he was a B-rank regular and was too powerful for baam then

Baam is way stronger than he was back then. He could barely even use the Thorn then and now he's throwing black holes. And how far is a B-Rank regular away from being a crappy ranker? is A-Rank regular the last step before ranker, for instance? We know top E Class regulars like Baam and Androssi are actually stronger than the top D Class, for instance.

Power levels are bullshit, basically.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 4, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Androssi was already physically equal to Quant on Floor 1.

Yeah, but Quant wasn't allowed to use shinsoo in that fight, and shinsoo constitutes the vast majority of strength for pretty much anyone, including physical fighters.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

something about becoming a princess makes them extremely physically powerful which is why yuri wasn't totally useless on the floor of death

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah, but Quant wasn't allowed to use shinsoo in that fight, and shinsoo constitutes the vast majority of strength for pretty much anyone, including physical fighters.

I know but I still think it says a lot. I don't think, at this point, weaker rankers are so far out of the most powerful main characters' realm of fighting evenly.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Jose posted:

he did copy that though

SIU explained that the only reason he could do that was because he was using the fake clone's power. Ordinarily Baam cannot.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I know but I still think it says a lot. I don't think, at this point, weaker rankers are so far out of the most powerful main characters' realm of fighting evenly.

Eh, consider Ran, who is one of the strongest Regulars who accompanies Baam and company (maybe only exceeded by Baam/Androssi and more or less equaled by Anak). Ran was portrayed as being weaker than Aka Williams overall, even if he was capable of more damage with his lightning spear thing. Aka Williams, while a very strong D-rank regular, is still a D-rank regular and presumably not remotely close to a Ranker.

I feel pretty confident saying that Baam is the only member of his party that would have a chance of putting up a fight against a Ranker.

edit: Also, there kind of need to be Regulars who can fight Baam's posse, since Rankers are barred from directly interfering with Regulars and they still have a long way to go while climbing.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

Eh, consider Ran, who is one of the strongest Regulars who accompanies Baam and company (maybe only exceeded by Baam/Androssi and more or less equaled by Anak). Ran was portrayed as being weaker than Aka Williams overall, even if he was capable of more damage with his lightning spear thing. Aka Williams, while a very strong D-rank regular, is still a D-rank regular and presumably not remotely close to a Ranker.

I feel pretty confident saying that Baam is the only member of his party that would have a chance of putting up a fight against a Ranker.

edit: Also, there kind of need to be Regulars who can fight Baam's posse, since Rankers are barred from directly interfering with Regulars and they still have a long way to go while climbing.

Most of my theorizing is over the Baam vs Kaiser fight and Kaiser praised Androssi as her equal if not for the Name Hunt rules catching her off guard. Princesses are another breed and it wouldn't surprise me if in a straight up fight even D-Rank princesses can go toe to toe with low rank regulars. By the time a Princess becomes a ranker I imagine they're shoe ins for the top half of rankers from the getgo, so they had to pass up the lower half sometime along their journeys. After all, the e/d/c etc rank Regular stuff is just a matter of how far you are along. Even Rankers are just that, though there's a bare minimum (just being able to exist in the shinsoo) required.

I suppose it's a matter of how much a prodigy Androssi is when talking about her. She apparently started older which is why she's a bit more developed than normal, on top of being a princess.

You say that about regulars having to fight Baam but that's not been the case. The past 3 big fights he had were Reflejo, who jumped the power curve to justify threatening Baam, Hoaqin, who is literally a high ranker level dude nebulously powered down to being arbitrarily just above Baam in power (before Baam got his own power up to surpass him), and Kaiser, a thousand year reigning super warlord who no past d-rank regular ever threatened significantly.

SIU's been coming up with out-of-rank superpowered dudes to fight Baam, not other, competing regulars of similar rank. The last time that looked like the case was with Barghav, but Androssi ended up fighting him instead. Baam just recently crushed another Mad Dog like nothing on the Hell Train, who you'd think would be a challenge for any D-Rank regular but was barely a speed bump for serious Baam.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 5, 2017

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Finally caught up after dropping out when the Hell Train arc first started up. drat has ToG been good recently. Bam finally getting past his creepy obsession with Rachel and actually having a goal, all the expanding lore stuff with Arlene Grace and Bam's origin and the princes of Zahad, and Rachel developing fantastically as a character. She's probably my favorite character at the moment since she's a very average Regular but nevertheless has gone from riding others' coattails to being a pretty good manipulator and driving force in the plot.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

New one up http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/list?title_no=95

Hype ending after some exposition. And now we know why Hell Joe's such a big shot on the FoD.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Joe kinda looks like Karaka in fight-mode.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

That ending :prepop:

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I like how all the enemies are casually invincible at this point and still Baam has to beat their asses.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Hopefully Baam develops some more personality soon besides "likes friends" since it looks like his weirdness with Rachel is gone.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Hypocrisy posted:

Hopefully Baam develops some more personality soon besides "likes friends" since it looks like his weirdness with Rachel is gone.

Well his current mode is "I will crush everyone who gets in my way for what Zahard has done" soooo

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!

:neckbeard: I wasn't expecting that, but I'm so happy it happened that way.

Edit: Also, the first time around I didn't notice Beta grabbing Androssi's jacket for her.

Hirethor fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 11, 2017

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
So uh, do Scout abilities actually involve reading minds or was Karaka bluffing there?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Eopia posted:

So uh, do Scout abilities actually involve reading minds or was Karaka bluffing there?

He's a pretty high tier ranker. It's probably an ability scouts are more likely to learn, like Quant's little blending with shadows ability.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Coffee Mugshot posted:

I like how all the enemies are casually invincible at this point and still Baam has to beat their asses.

They're invincible due to a spell, that can be beaten by a stronger spell/power. Bam's going to black hole all of them.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-246/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=327

Translation's a little messy but what else is new.

I'd feel sorry for Karaka if he wasn't such a poo poo.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Two Tone Shoes posted:

http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/tower-of-god/season-2-ep-246/viewer?title_no=95&episode_no=327

Translation's a little messy but what else is new.

I'd feel sorry for Karaka if he wasn't such a poo poo.

The most powerful ranker currently active in the tower.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
That was some Zoro vs. Mihawk poo poo from early One Piece.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Urek is great

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Enjoying this arc a lot, though not sure how I feel about the implication that Baam could get TWO powerups in the near future in the shape of another thorn, or the Sharingan (Enryuugan? :P). He's already overpowered enough, would really like someone else to get the powerups to remain relevant.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Is Urek going full Frieza with his 'I only need 1% of my power to take care of you' thing or is it just me?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Eopia posted:

Is Urek going full Frieza with his 'I only need 1% of my power to take care of you' thing or is it just me?

Seems more Kenpachi with the limiters and hoping for a good fight.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Gyges posted:

Seems more Kenpachi with the limiters and hoping for a good fight.

Considering Karaka went all out immediately and got stomped its clearly this

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

How poo poo is FUGs info network if an active Slayer doesn't know what one of the most famous people in the tower looks like

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
Karaka only watches the news.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

Shugojin posted:

How poo poo is FUGs info network if an active Slayer doesn't know what one of the most famous people in the tower looks like
i mean, how do you expect anyone to recognize him if they can't see his name on his back??

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Tipme posted:

Karaka only watches the news.

This is the best bit of the entire series

I also like the idea urek is before karakas time so only in reality tv

Tipme
Oct 30, 2009
Hi. I'm a Chelsea fan since 2010. Please murder me with a piece of pipe. thanks.
Can't get over the footballer names though. Yuri (Hazard) about to take on all of arsenal. Already got past Walcott and soon to face Sanchez. If Fabregas defects and helps Yuri defeat hell Joe it would be so perfect.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Urek is better than ever.

Rachel's reactions to Baam trying to be a good guy is great. I want them to stick together somehow.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Tipme posted:

Can't get over the footballer names though. Yuri (Hazard) about to take on all of arsenal. Already got past Walcott and soon to face Sanchez. If Fabregas defects and helps Yuri defeat hell Joe it would be so perfect.

De Jah (and De Sah) has special eyes that see seconds or so into the future.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I don't know how I feel about the Bam and Rachel teamup though. That seems... a bit too much.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like how weird some of the character designs are in this. I just noticed that Hell Joe seems to be wearing a skirt. As did Aka Williams, though Aka Williams also seemed to have lipstick or something. They really eschew a lot of the more typical fantasy designs/races.

edit: "Princess Endorsi. Prepare the Bong Bong."

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!

Avulsion posted:

The most powerful ranker currently active in the tower.

One thing has me nervous, Karaka said that while the others were off fighting he was going to steal their souls/power. If he somehow steals Urek's power now that he's here, that'd be a hell of a thing.