Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the
Nacho being a goof with Ginger

He's super sweet, but holy poo poo he does not like his paws touched. He goes full on snarling, growling and screaming bloody-murder. Our yard is super muddy right now, which means it's always a challenge to get him back inside after doing his business. He also tends to go into zoomy play mode after we try to wipe his feet off, so that means we get muddy paw prints all over the house

TastyShrimpPlatter fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

a slime posted:

Abby likes to lord over her treasures like a tiny dragon

Abby :kimchi: and Nacho :neckbeard: yayhounds!

That's weird about Nacho's feet, Spartacus is super chill about us messing with his feet; wiping off mud, trimming nails, treating his pads, he just stands there cool as a cucumber.

His butt, though... try to wipe his rear end and he goes into full screaming bloody murder mode. He loves butt rubs though, just nowhere under his tail.

I've been remiss in not posting more bubby pics. Here, have a bonus cat too (it was dinner time):

And a nap

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 29, 2017

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

TastyShrimpPlatter posted:

He's super sweet, but holy poo poo he does not like his paws touched. He goes full on snarling, growling and screaming bloody-murder. Our yard is super muddy right now, which means it's always a challenge to get him back inside after doing his business. He also tends to go into zoomy play mode after we try to wipe his feet off, so that means we get muddy paw prints all over the house

Wow, I haven't heard of that being an issue with dogs before! With Taz he'll basically let me do anything with his paws, etc. and the most he'll do is give a "what's going on, what are you trying to do? Am I doing something wrong? :ohdear:" look, etc. and submit completely. (He even happily lets me wipe gunk from his eyes without flinching/trying to pull away, which my previous whippet hated. Not sure which reaction is 'normal' though)

He does look pretty cute there, though, hahah. Those two look like true friends; albeit with one particular doggo likely being distinctly more annoying for the other at times, perhaps! :v:

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

a slime posted:

Abby likes to lord over her treasures like a tiny dragon

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

So cute!

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Mine is like that when it comes to clipping his nails. He puts up with the groomer fine though. Have you tried dipping his paws into a bucket of water when he comes in? Maybe he'll put up with that.

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese
Hey guys, I'm planning on getting a greyhound. The problem is that I live in the Poconos where it gets very cold. I understand that I should get my future puppy a sweater. Do they also need boots? I heard of the boots but am unsure.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
I use the boots more for keeping out the salt than the cold. I'd get a pair for the bitterly cold or deep snow days. Mushers Secret seems to work just as well for days where it's just very cold, rather than extremely cold.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

April 1st means Tess needs to eat a burger. Happy birthday, Tess!

Casey got some burger too.

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Yay! Happy Birthday Tess!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Happy birthday Tess! She's a cutie, and well behaved it seems :3:

People talking about their hounds hoarding toys like tiny dragons made me think Spartacus didn't, but after some thought I realized it's probably more that he hasn't figured out toys. The reason being that it isn't toys he hoards, it's cat food tins:

We leave the tin out so our younger cat Gus will be nice to the old, cranky cat Cali while she's being fed, and so Cali associates Gus with food time. Once Gus is done though the tins are apparently fair game, as is Cali's food bowl.

The dumbass has managed to cut BOTH his hind knees and bled all over a bunch of blankets we keep on the couch (mostly for mud and that exact reason). We tried bandaging him and he looked pretty funny, like an athlete with knee braces, but he didn't like walking in them and they fell off his weird alien legs anyway. So now he has a bunch of Vaseline on them so he doesn't lick them, and that makes him sad

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese
I do have another question before I get a Greyhound. We had a Scottish terrier named Rummie before, and when we let him out (and it wasn't raining/he saw a squirrel/he wanted to bother us) and we couldn't take him for a walk we put him on a lead for about ten minutes in the yard. Otherwise Rummie could dart and be gone (it's not an enclosed yard). I'm just wondering if our tactic should change with the Greyhound. The lead in the yard sounds good in theory but I don't know if the Greyhound might hurt himself or get tangled up. They seem more delicate than a Scottie.

How do you guys let the dog outside?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found the answer earlier in the thread on my work break. I will find alternative means even if it just requires me letting the dog out with me holding them leash.

Naz al-Ghul fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 2, 2017

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, greyhounds have no road sense or sense of direction so they need an enclosed yard or to be on lead always. Most have insane prey drive to the point they'll dart off after something without any regard for anything else (Spartacus seems to be an exception in that he has little prey drive, probably why he was such a crappy racer, but we still always keep him on lead. )

The other important thing is to have the correct type of collar (martingale) because their heads are smaller than their necks and they can slip out, and normal cinching collars will punch or cut through their delicate paper baby skin.

Finally, the lead should be relatively short because they can get to full speed within a few strides and snap their necks if they're stopped too quick. This is more important for if they're tied to something; they can never be tied up in the yard.

Basically greyhounds have all sorts of amazing ways to kill themselves.

Hooray hounds!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

DarkHorse posted:

Yeah, greyhounds have no road sense or sense of direction so they need an enclosed yard or to be on lead always. Most have insane prey drive to the point they'll dart off after something without any regard for anything else (Spartacus seems to be an exception in that he has little prey drive, probably why he was such a crappy racer, but we still always keep him on lead. )

The other important thing is to have the correct type of collar (martingale) because their heads are smaller than their necks and they can slip out, and normal cinching collars will punch or cut through their delicate paper baby skin.

Finally, the lead should be relatively short because they can get to full speed within a few strides and snap their necks if they're stopped too quick. This is more important for if they're tied to something; they can never be tied up in the yard.

Basically greyhounds have all sorts of amazing ways to kill themselves.

Hooray hounds!

Huh, I didn't know that having greyhounds tethered is bad, so that's good to know. (Although I've never planned on having Tazo tethered, so I never asked when I first got him)

But yeah, it's 100% advisable to have a fully enclosed backyard. The fence doesn't need to be high or anything (Since the greyhounds I've seen don't really jump at all - aside from to jump up and punch their owners, like me. :v: Whippets on the other hand...), but yeah, all common sense goes out the window the moment they see or hear something interesting, as they won't hesitate to run across/along the road to chase it. (For example, as I live on a semi-rural property just beyond the fringe of the suburbs, I get a lot of rabbits...so my 'hound gets very excitable and tries chasing them quite a lot - often giving my arm a good yank in the process!)
On the topic, it's actually illegal for greyhounds here (in the backwards country of Australia) to be off the lead on public property (including in fenced-off dog parks...) and you're not allowed to adopt them unless you've got a sealed-off yard.

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese

DarkHorse posted:

This is more important for if they're tied to something; they can never be tied up in the yard.

:stonk:
Well then. I wouldn't leave the poor thing there, so let's say we're just on the patio. If we shorten the lead to the table would that be okay or should I just bring out a crate? It's an open yard, so I'm just a bit concerned.

Edit: local adoption centers are fine with no fences, they state it's not a deal breaker.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
I get by fine without a fenced yard. The dog wants to be inside sleeping 99% of the time anyways. Gannon's also pretty good about just going out for a quick pee. Takes him all of two minutes to find a spot, piss and turn around. They fall into a routine pretty easily so he knows when it's walk time vs bathroom break time.

On the patio just keep him on the lead if there's not a proper fence. I usually just put a patio cushion on the ground next to a deck chair, he lies down next to the chair and you just hold the lead in case he gets up. If that doesn't work out just put him him back in the house or bring out the crate.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah a regular walking leash should be fine. The real problem comes from those 10-15' lines where they can get up to speed and are suddenly stopped.

Most retired racers are lazy couch potatoes, so hopefully I didn't scare you too bad. There's always a chance you get a hyper weirdo like Spartacus, though :v:

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese

DarkHorse posted:

Yeah a regular walking leash should be fine. The real problem comes from those 10-15' lines where they can get up to speed and are suddenly stopped.

Most retired racers are lazy couch potatoes, so hopefully I didn't scare you too bad. There's always a chance you get a hyper weirdo like Spartacus, though :v:

Yeah I was just debating whether to throw away the yard tether or no, so I'll toss it.

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the
If you have any sliding glass doors, please please please get something like this http://m.homedepot.com/p/Artscape-24-in-x-36-in-New-Leaf-Decorative-Window-Film-02-3021/203843088 for the bottom part of the door.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
The dog of Kings

:drac:

SachielDVangel
Jun 4, 2003

DarkHorse posted:

The dog of Kings

The King of Dogs*

* it's in our standard.

SachielDVangel
Jun 4, 2003
He just sits like that.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

SachielDVangel posted:

He just sits like that.

Man, that is a seriously woolly beast. A handsome one too.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

I love your weird muppet dog.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
That's adorable and ridiculous. I wanna fuzzy coat like that

:stwoon: x2

This is what I have instead:

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

dumdums

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Anyone else's dumdums been acting fidgety because of spring? Mine have been whiny and antsy, trying to go outside ever hour and stay out there forever, I think because the weather has been nice and there have been rabbits to chase out of the yard sometimes.

E: also lizards that are fun to chase because they move weird

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 12, 2017

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

My dumdum Josie JoJo Junior Shabadoo has turned up the barkometer in the last month. I'm not sure whether it's weather or yayattention. I don't think it's boredom, we can go for a long sunny walk topped off with chicken legs and some miserable attempts at learning tricks and as soon as I turn my back to do dishes... BIRF! rowrrrowwwBORF

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Abby likes car rides!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Spartacus caught a rabbit :stare:

My spouse and I were out of town and got home late, so I just opened the door right away so they could do their business. I heard a brief growl and a squeak, and thought "oh no, they startled a possum again."

Went out there with my phone light and Sparty had a huge rabbit in his mouth. Went to get it and he walked away across the yard with it, he set it down as he tried to adjust his grip, and sensing the opportunity the rabbit took off under a 1" gap under the fence.

The thing was easily bigger than the size of his head, no idea how it fit under there. He seemed very proud of himself and was super hyped to check the yard for any more of them.

Chainsaw McGee
Dec 31, 2011

DarkHorse posted:

Spartacus caught a rabbit :stare:

Lol, Barbie did practically the same thing last week, except she brought the bigger-than-a-bread-box bunny back in the house. No damage to the hound; the rabbit hopped out of the house on its own only to (I assume) have a heart attack in the backyard.

She was so proud of herself.

Chainsaw McGee fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 17, 2017

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the
We took Nacho to an enclosed dog park right next to a lake the other day. First thing he does is race into the water, trying to get to the group of floating ducks about 30 feet out. He got pretty far before realizing that he needed to swim and then started doing a very panicked doggy-paddle back towards the shore. I was a couple seconds away from jumping in after him, but he made it back by himself. Pretty sure he bumped one of his back legs because he spent the rest of the time at the park half-limping around. We didn't see any cuts or scrapes, but he tends to be a big weenie about bumps and bruises.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Pretty sure he bumped one of his back legs because he spent the rest of the time at the park half-limping around. We didn't see any cuts or scrapes, but he tends to be a big weenie about bumps and bruises.

lol Spartacus did the same thing yesterday. He was so excited I came home he raced from the back yard only to stop suddenly and whine in agony.

Fearing the worst, I ran out the door and checked the hind leg he was holding up. Nothing broken, no cuts or bleeding, nothing dislocated... all the while he's whining like crazy. I check his pads, everything looks fine, he whines once more, and then everything went back to normal :shrug:

Best I can guess is he had a piece of dirt in his foot. Hounds: drama queens, amirite?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
haha, nice! To be honest my ex-racer hasn't caught any, although that's more because I haven't allowed him to - I've had enough rabbit fluff scattered across the yard due to my old whippet to be put off the idea! :D
He's seen and gotten the jump on rabbits a few times now though, but I've held him back each time. (He saw another one just a couple of days ago, in fact. And seeing as I held him back until it ran to safety through the fence, he let out the same sad noise you make when you juuust miss your bus, after running to catch it :( )

EDIT:

DarkHorse posted:

Best I can guess is he had a piece of dirt in his foot. Hounds: drama queens, amirite?

Yep! :D

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 17, 2017

pastor of muppets
Aug 21, 2007

We were somewhere around the Living Hive, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold...

My dog came in the other day favoring her right rear leg and licking at her foot. Turns out she had a dime-sized dried turd stuck between her toes. :v:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Well, the last few days we've had an unexpected guest! A collarless Maremma that I'd never seen before showed up one evening when I was feeding Tazo (I noticed just before I gave him food he let out a cautious bark, but it was too dark for either of us to actually see it), as it loomed out of the shadows while he was tucking in, and had a sniff at the side of Taz's head. Naturally it gave him quite the surprise! :D Taz was initially thoroughly unimpressed and annoyed about the presence of the dog, especially when I decided to keep him in the yard with Tazo for the night. What can I say - he's even more anti-social than I am, I suppose! :D
But yeah, I was mostly concerned that the doggo would get hit by a car, if I didn't keep him in with us. (I live on a 100kmph road, it was very dark, and there are plenty of blind corners and crests)

Naturally I made posts on the state's "lost dogs" FB pages, etc. and contacted the council, but didn't get any hits. (Turns out there are a fair few Maremma owners in the general area - except none were missing) Just this afternoon the dog was picked up though, since I didn't think I'd get any better results after my posts and calls+search of the area, and that they'd have a better chance of either reuniting the dog with his owner, or if not, finding him a new home. In the end the two seemed to become very comfortable with one another, and liked sniffing about the property together. Bit sad though, as after all the initial tension, (mostly with my dog, as he's a bit suspicious of other dogs in my area - all the others seem to want to play rough) they were upset to be parted. :(
Oh well - hopefully the Maremma can be recovered by his family soon.

EDIT: And seeing as none of the photos above that involve an actual greyhound are any good due to being taken at night, here's one from just this morning; li'l Tazo relaxing beneath a somewhat-overgrown trampoline. :3:

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 22, 2017

Fuzz Feets
Apr 11, 2009

Another exhibit in the dignified greyhound portfolio

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Fuzz Feets posted:

Another exhibit in the dignified greyhound portfolio

:smugmrgw:

Continuing the theme of dignified photos, here we have a case of TMT disease (too much tongue) - he was like that for a good five minutes.

And here we see the little dog not letting herself be pushed out of the way to his favorite spot for once. He was very sad about this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
There is a Borzoi available for adoption in my area. It took a lot of work convincing myself I did not need a second dog.