Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Klyith posted:

Lots of stuff about contamination.

You seem like you worry about environmental contaminants an awful lot. That's what I do professionally and my state pays me to do it! Are you a professional worrier too or a hobbyist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

this is an ad

https://twitter.com/KeitaTakahash/status/854074262562324480

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Roll up enough horsey sauce and you get start rolling up sammies.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://twitter.com/Arbys/status/849275376962478082

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

We don't have Arby's here, are they the Mountain Dew of fast food?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

As far as I can tell they just hired a couple people who love crafts and are nerds as their twitter marketer people, that's pretty much it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Jay Rust posted:

Ironically they're actually healthier than most of the major burger chains on account of not actually frying the meat in their sandwiches

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's more like if you can't make a decision between Burger King and Subway and then realize you don't actually care..

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jay Rust posted:

If you're asking if they taste bad, yes.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Phantasium posted:

It's more like if you can't make a decision between Burger King and Subway and then realize you don't actually care..

I've always thought of Subway as the place you go to when you've given up, whether on finding good lunch or having a good life. Then I had Arby's and I saw how much worse it could get.

The fries are good though, and the people they have doing their social media are pretty neat. They definitely have fun with it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I love brands

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Lurdiak posted:

I figured I probably did.
At the very least your impression that it's quite bad is correct in terms of economic damage! And while I'd still rather build nukes than carbon power plants, Japan has gone whole hog on wind and solar in the aftermath which is pretty encouraging.

Wildtortilla posted:

You seem like you worry about environmental contaminants an awful lot. That's what I do professionally and my state pays me to do it! Are you a professional worrier too or a hobbyist?

Nope, just a science nerd who reads a lot.

I live in New York, and a number of years ago joined the anti-fracking campaign. It's really fun when you write to the people in charge that our material is full of inaccurate / bad science, or tries to make harmless things sound really scary. Like radioactivity in fracking wastewater, which is technically true but only in the sense that most water from deep underground, including some well water, is detectably radioactive. That's why we have to test for radon in upstate NY.

Then again some of the people I met there were also campaigning against wind farms, because they make "harmful sonic waves" or something. Constantly telling myself to just shut my mouth and disengage on that one.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Klyith posted:

Then again some of the people I met there were also campaigning against wind farms, because they make "harmful sonic waves" or something. Constantly telling myself to just shut my mouth and disengage on that one.

guile can do it, can't be fake

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

clearly you need to build them opposite to each other, to cancel the so called "projectile spam"

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Phantasium posted:

clearly you need to build them opposite to each other, to cancel the so called "projectile spam"

just get 1 Nash in the middle of all the windmills and use his v-skill to clear them

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Last time I had arbys I got food poisoning

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The Arby's Grand Turkey Club is a great sandwhich. I don't really get much else there...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Most of what I know about Arby's comes from Jon Stewart making fun of them, and the l33t pro gamer commercials they ran during esports broadcasts at 2 in the morning (hey, we were tired and bored)

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Snak posted:

The Arby's Grand Turkey Club is a great sandwhich. I don't really get much else there...

I've been overseas for many years and haven't had Arby's inasmuch time. I can confirm Arby's is delicious.

Please send me a Chicken Bacon Swiss sandwich and some cheese melts in the mail.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

That bit at the start of Parasite Eve II where the lady turns into a weird mutant goblin has always stuck with me, it's really creepy. Other 'creepy' things my mind remembers: that one x-files episode where an astronaut is haunted by a blurry photo of that mars face, and it flies at the camera a lot, woooo~

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
So it turns out sugar ants can survive being in a 200 degree oven for a half hour apparently

Humanity may be doomed to nuclear annihilation, but the sugar ants will prevail

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

lets hang out posted:

Last time I had arbys I got food poisoning

This but substitute Arby's for Schlotzsky's.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Klyith posted:

At the very least your impression that it's quite bad is correct in terms of economic damage! And while I'd still rather build nukes than carbon power plants, Japan has gone whole hog on wind and solar in the aftermath which is pretty encouraging.

Nope, just a science nerd who reads a lot.

I live in New York, and a number of years ago joined the anti-fracking campaign. It's really fun when you write to the people in charge that our material is full of inaccurate / bad science, or tries to make harmless things sound really scary. Like radioactivity in fracking wastewater, which is technically true but only in the sense that most water from deep underground, including some well water, is detectably radioactive. That's why we have to test for radon in upstate NY.

To be fair re: wind. It's just not as good as solar in most places and legit kills birds and bats. The whole sonic wave poo poo is a little loopy though.

I could see that argument for underwater turbines though. Certain sounds can cause whales to dive away from danger when they dont have enough breath which screws their brain up due to low oxygen and they beach themselves.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Captain Invictus posted:

So it turns out sugar ants can survive being in a 200 degree oven for a half hour apparently

My enormous cache of honey and sugar will serve me well once we are all bound in servitude to irradiated hyperintelligent giant ants

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Nasgate posted:

To be fair re: wind. It's just not as good as solar in most places and legit kills birds and bats. The whole sonic wave poo poo is a little loopy though.

I could see that argument for underwater turbines though. Certain sounds can cause whales to dive away from danger when they dont have enough breath which screws their brain up due to low oxygen and they beach themselves.

I could be wrong but I imagine the bird/bat death is probably on par with or less than the rodent death caused by vegetable farming.

In any case, the current discussion among about my friends on energy has been about why thorium reactors never saw much research, and about how gravity batteries seem like a potentially great way to make renewable energy sources like wind/solar more efficient and viable. There's pretty neat stuff but it's pretty far on the horizon.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I rerolled Bandit and I love my bow.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
As far as I'm aware there's no evidence wind turbines kill more birds than any other tall structure and nobody brings that up as a point against cell towers or office buildings.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Agnostalgia posted:

As far as I'm aware there's no evidence wind turbines kill more birds than any other tall structure and nobody brings that up as a point against cell towers or office buildings.

I always thought that was just a talking point made up by coal supporters to confuse the public into inaction so coal could stay the status quo

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

irradiated hyperintelligent giant ants

man, is that a dangerous combo

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Glass towers kill more birds than you can imagine.

If it was a super serious problem they could put cages around the turbines to keep bigger ones out i guess

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Wonder boy owns bones

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
arby's had roast beefs with hamburger toppings for a long time, specifically one w/ shredded lettuce, tomato, cheddar, and bacon, and it was really good and idk why they stopped selling them

it's pretty good by fast food standards but it's tricky to find a vegetable, overpriced, and curly fries are even worse for you than fast food normally is

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Curly fries are really good, though

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
I hope they rerelease Monster World IV somewhere, that game is absolutely phenomenal.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't think the heat will kill the directly, but over a long enough period of time they should dehydrate and die.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
why are you baking sugar ants. is this something like that italian maggot cheese?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
If you're concerned with wind turbines killing bats and birds, you should immediately start campaigning for laws that pet cats aren't allowed to go outside.

bloodychill posted:

In any case, the current discussion among about my friends on energy has been about why thorium reactors never saw much research,
Lot of R&D, little payoff because the cost of fuel isn't the major issue.

Unless you're talking about the "energy amplifier", which is a reactor that needs an external source -- a small particle accelerator -- to keep going, and can't self-sustain without it. It's a cool idea that needed even more R&D and had big unsolved questions whether it could even be done. (Particle accelerator = a delicate machine that needs vacuum to work. Reactor = a big heavy can full of high-temperature, high-pressure steam or water. The interface between the two = ???)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Agnostalgia posted:

why are you baking sugar ants. is this something like that italian maggot cheese?

Because Captain Invictus is a loving weirdo

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

maybe he was trying to kill them :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Cats should not be allowed to roam freely for all kinds of reason. I think it's an annoying double standard that, while everyone considers it unacceptable for a dog to roam around the neighborhood loving up everything, it's normal for cats.

• Locked thread