Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
i used kb+m in ds2 mostly because of greatbow abuse while invading. in 3 invading isnt much fun and greatbow abuse isnt as powerful so i dont see much point in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I can't believe people doing recognize dancer plate. That's really good armor for it's weight.

I like my armor to look kind of practical, so I generally only wear armor that has a bunch of little pouches or cloth so that it kind of looks like it makes sense when I pull a javelin or huge flail out of thin air. I really like the Lorian armor, for example, but it has the same issue where it feels too videogamey or Diablo/WoW-like to just be some guy walking around in bare, extremely ornamented metal.

Then again, I also enjoy running as close to naked with a Great Club, but that also fills like it fits thematically.

Maleh-Vor fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Apr 17, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Anyone well-versed in CE here? I'm wondering what the easiest/safest way to get a bleed-infused weapon onto a fresh character would be. I wanted to do a gimmick run with it but then I realized that you can't infuse bleed until you're at the end of Irithyll god drat Dungeon :geno:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

The distribution of Crystal simple and blessed and lightning is weird

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
you dont need to use CE to just get a bleed infused weapon. just ask a goon here to trade you one.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Ringed city DLC weapons are the new cancer. The weapon art on both the paired greatswords and the ring knight straight sword are insta kills, even after the patch. The straight sword uses the same weapon art as the boss of the first base game, where you get caught in a chain of flaming sword strikes. Ugh!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

hanales posted:

The people who scream about metas and nitpick animation details are not the majority of people who play the game. The people relitigating the iron keep elevator are also not the majority. The majority doesn't give a poo poo about stuff like that. It's the very definition of a vocal minority. Nothing smug about it. But maybe you could invite me to a git gud group on steam to follow that awesome post up.

What about the people who just played the game and thought "this was okay but I liked the first one better"?
I know, crazy concept, but let's ponder it for a second

Maleh-Vor
Oct 26, 2003

Artificial difficulty.

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Ringed city DLC weapons are the new cancer. The weapon art on both the paired greatswords and the ring knight straight sword are insta kills, even after the patch. The straight sword uses the same weapon art as the boss of the first base game, where you get caught in a chain of flaming sword strikes. Ugh!

The spear can be pretty brutal too. All of the Ring Knight weapons are kind of crazy.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Augus posted:

What about the people who just played the game and thought "this was okay but I liked the first one better"?
I know, crazy concept, but let's ponder it for a second

Okay but a lot of those people didn't say "I liked DS1 more" they went "DS2 is an abomination loving B TEAM". I mean there's at least one person in this thread still doing that.

Uncle w Benefits posted:

I'm pretty sure you can roll out of the straight sword weapon art. Regardless, it has a super slow start up and forces the user to walk in a slow stance. Its really obvious when they are gonna try and use it. So that's a good time to roll away and punish them with some long range attack if they commit to it.

The paired greatswords are bullshit though. The phantom range on them is sickening.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Internet Kraken posted:

Okay but a lot of those people didn't say "I liked DS1 more" they went "DS2 is an abomination loving B TEAM".
Why should I care? Why should I listen to what you think of the game when you're only speaking towards a nebulous group of assholes who will never change their minds? A stupid exaggeration is a stupid exaggeration, whether or not you're making it to counter another stupid exaggeration. That just means there's two groups of assholes fighting a holy war for the video game they like somewhat more instead of just one.

A post like this

hanales posted:

The people who scream about metas and nitpick animation details are not the majority of people who play the game. The people relitigating the iron keep elevator are also not the majority. The majority doesn't give a poo poo about stuff like that. It's the very definition of a vocal minority. Nothing smug about it. But maybe you could invite me to a git gud group on steam to follow that awesome post up.

is not any less dumb or obnoxious than people screaming about B-Team.

Augus fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 17, 2017

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm glad this series is getting put to bed for a few years. I think another Souls-esque game like Bloodborne will be good for From.

I'm still waiting for my King's Field reboot. :colbert:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Augus posted:

Why should I care? Why should I listen to what you think of the game when you're only speaking towards a nebulous group of assholes who will never change their minds? A stupid exaggeration is a stupid exaggeration, whether or not you're making it to counter another stupid exaggeration. That just means there's two groups of assholes fighting a holy war for the video game they like somewhat more instead of just one.

A post like this

I have to admit I like the idea that the "silent majority" argument is coming up in reference to Dark Souls 2 of all things. I think the "majority" of people in this case are playing other video games and not worrying about any of this garbage.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Augus posted:

A post like this

Lol you called him a smug rear end in a top hat for making a mild-rear end post about ds2's reception. You are the one being triggered by nothing here dude. Everyone has their favorite, and that's cool cause that's alright. It's still fine to make fun of people for b team nonsense.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Is chest cheat engine even safe to use in this game? I know unlike DS1 there's actual cheat-detection that can ban you from online interaction. I just want to be able to dupe in 99 of any upgrade material I've already maxed a weapon out on, so I have more freedom to try out weapons without their numbers being insufficient.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Apr 17, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Iretep posted:

you dont need to use CE to just get a bleed infused weapon. just ask a goon here to trade you one.
But goons are scary and I don't like relying on other people since I like to take my time experimenting with different weapons and stuff until I find something I like :saddowns:

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Is chest engine even safe to use in this game? I know unlike DS1 there's actual cheat-detection that can ban you from online interaction. I just want to be able to dupe in 99 of any upgrade material I've already maxed a weapon out on, so I have more freedom to try out weapons without their numbers being insufficient.
Amazing chest engine ahead :pervert:

I think spawning/duping upgrade mats is one of the things the game specifically looks for. At least according to this thing I found:
https://www.reddit.com/r/opensouls3/comments/5gc9cb/softban_data_and_testing/

Also according to this thing I can apparently just spawn in an infused weapon, without having to worry about coals and gems and stuff. Neat! How effective are bleed-infused weapons anyway? Is there a sort of number I should aim for? I assume faster weapons = better simply because you'll apply the effect more often, but I wonder how far I can stretch that. It would be neat to do something different than the typical dagger/curved sword bleed stereotype, so I'm looking at potential weapons but the infusion numbers tell me nothing. I'm thinking something like the Winged Knight Twinaxes or the dual animu swords might be cool (never used either) but since I don't know what bleed numbers are good, I can't tell if they're actually viable.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

For all the DS1 vs DS2 chat, I'm starting to come around to DS3 maybe being the best of the bunch. Am I crazy for thinking that 3 has by far the most really good boss fights? I think the boss visuals, music, mechanics, and difficulty are overall the best in the series.

I've never cared about RAW rear end being Objectively Better than the longsword or given a poo poo about PvP at all :shrug:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Is chest engine even safe to use in this game? I know unlike DS1 there's actual cheat-detection that can ban you from online interaction. I just want to be able to dupe in 99 of any upgrade material I've already maxed a weapon out on, so I have more freedom to try out weapons without their numbers being insufficient.

Its safe if youre very careful. The game seems to monitor certain stuff so just cheating all willynilly will get you banned if you dont revert your save. For example just cheating in 99 slabs will apparently get you marked because having 99 slabs on NG is impossible. Generally just using the item swapper to cheat in weapons and consumables you can drop and trade with people normally are all safe to cheat in. Anything that cant be traded or farmed at all from enemies are pretty dangerous to cheat in since the game might be monitoring the ammounts you have of them. You also have to disconect from the internet because the online part might be constantly checking if youre cheating too. You basically have to do all kinds of weird voo doo because people have just figured out what doesent get you banned but arent compleatly sure of everything that does get you banned.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Fuligin posted:

triggered
uh-huh.

Fuligin posted:

Everyone has their favorite, and that's cool cause that's alright. It's still fine to make fun of people for b team nonsense.

That's literally what I already said. I wasn't responding to anyone making fun of B-Team nonsense. Read the posts that you respond to.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

For all the DS1 vs DS2 chat, I'm starting to come around to DS3 maybe being the best of the bunch. Am I crazy for thinking that 3 has by far the most really good boss fights? I think the boss visuals, music, mechanics, and difficulty are overall the best in the series.

The big secret is that each game is better at different things so your favorite comes down to personal preference. DS3 and Bloodborne definitely maintain a more consistently high standard of quality than the early games, owing to the growth in the series's popularity leading to better production value.

Augus fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Apr 17, 2017

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Sadly, there's no love for the Aquamarine dagger, which is a much more fun iteration on the extendo-weapon stance concept. I don't recall the ringed knight weapons letting you immediately combo into their weapon art strikes, whereas the aquamarine dagger absolutely lets you do that.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I've never cared about RAW rear end being Objectively Better than the longsword or given a poo poo about PvP at all :shrug:

DS3, especially after the second DLC definitely has the most, best boss fights. I swear over half of my favorite fights in the series are from DS3. Pontiff, Champ, NK, last boss, Demon Prince, Midir, Gael. I think the only fights I actively dislike are Crystal Sage and Aldrich, although I'm not a huge fan of the gimmick bosses (they kinda feel like non-bosses for the most part). The music and aesthetics of pretty much every fight is ridiculously good.

I don't like ranking things so I don't really have a "favorite" souls game, but I definitely think DS3 is great. It's just a shame it's so linear, but at least I can use CE to facilitate some fun gimmicks :3:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 17, 2017

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

3's boss fights are really good, although i would have liked more variety rather than lots of one on one duels. Bloodborne has it beat in that respect.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
yeah I'm hesitant to put any of ds3s bosses in the top 5 other than champ, but it definitely has the most "good" boss fights of any series.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
With the DLC released and no news coming as far as a new Fromsoft game it's probably about time to let this thread waste off into the ether off my bookmarks as it slowly descends further and further into madness

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

DS3 improves so, so, SO much in NG+ that it's crazy. After my first run I basically thought the game was pretty OK, then halfway through NG+ I was convinced it was the best ever. I think it rewards familiarity with the world a lot more than most other games in the series, and the occasionally insane difficulty curve makes NG+ a joy to run through again. Vordt was such a huge pain in the rear end the first time around, but then he's a total chump since by that point you've been through way worse.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

CE is safe, because:

A) You can family share if you get banned

and

:siren: B) Bans are not permanent :siren:

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
Ehhhhhhhhhhh, it's time to move onto a new game :(

I mean, just look at this latency lag switchery poo poo and the phantom range on things.

I invade your stupid fight club, and I could care less because I need tongues, man. I manage to land a zweihander weapon art, which only half works, then hilarious phantom range does me in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9c7xjb4D1rI

e: yes I get that I'm awful at pvp, but latency and phantom range certainly doesn't help.

uncle w benefits fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 17, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Dewgy posted:

DS3 improves so, so, SO much in NG+ that it's crazy. After my first run I basically thought the game was pretty OK, then halfway through NG+ I was convinced it was the best ever. I think it rewards familiarity with the world a lot more than most other games in the series, and the occasionally insane difficulty curve makes NG+ a joy to run through again. Vordt was such a huge pain in the rear end the first time around, but then he's a total chump since by that point you've been through way worse.

One really cool thing I wish they took from DS2 was adding in new enemies on NG+, that was a good feature

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Uncle w Benefits posted:

e: yes I get that I'm awful at pvp, but latency and phantom range certainly doesn't help.

If anyone asks me why I don't like Dark Souls PvP I link them this wonderful video (that I think came from this thread?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ryhKKGMSXE

Nearly all fights in every Souls game has been like this for me. :sigh: I know a lot of people (*cough* and goons) take PvP super seriously and get really mad when I say that I wish there was a way to turn off invasions in the games without sacrificing other online interactivity and/or (in DS3's case) health, but look at this. Look at it.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Your Computer posted:

If anyone asks me why I don't like Dark Souls PvP I link them this wonderful video (that I think came from this thread?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ryhKKGMSXE

Nearly all fights in every Souls game has been like this for me. :sigh: I know a lot of people (*cough* and goons) take PvP super seriously and get really mad when I say that I wish there was a way to turn off invasions in the games without sacrificing other online interactivity and/or (in DS3's case) health, but look at this. Look at it.

It's like dark souls on ice with that guy!

*queue 56k modem handshake noise*

Again, it is time for a new game now that I have a proper 4K TV that supports HDR!

uncle w benefits fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 17, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

lol at dying to vordt on your first time, nub

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If all fights are like that for you then yeah I get hating PvP, but I'd figure coop would be trash too. I've gotten summoned to laggy worlds and its miserable hitting enemies and not having the HP get subtracted for like 5 seconds. Playing with the PvE on a delay feels really wonky.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

lol at dying to vordt on your first time, nub

Who died to Vordt?

Internet Kraken posted:

If all fights are like that for you then yeah I get hating PvP, but I'd figure coop would be trash too. I've gotten summoned to laggy worlds and its miserable hitting enemies and not having the HP get subtracted for like 5 seconds. Playing with the PvE on a delay feels really wonky.

I never had a problem with coop lag.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i agree but then when i'm playing one of the others as intensely as i'm playing DS3 at the moment, i'll say that one is the best

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Who died to Vordt?

Dewgy posted:

I assume pain in the rear end means "killed me." Since he's not a ringed city damage sponge or a gimmick boss

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I assume pain in the rear end means "killed me." Since he's not a ringed city damage sponge or a gimmick boss

Ah. I only asked because I thought you were taking a dig at me from something in my old video history!

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

Your Computer posted:

The :darksouls: was us, all along.

A fine dark soul to you.

And the person who got engaged I guess.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

my cat is norris posted:

Hello you can laugh at me if you want, I just wanted to show off my super nicely made engagement ring. :shobon:

Solid 18kt gold, about $600 between commissioning the sculptor and the jeweler. My fiance has the Darkmoon ring in solid silver. No we're not having a Souls wedding that would be loving insane but for our engagement we might as well celebrate the thing that first drew us together. OKAY BYE.

That sweater makes me think you'd be better suited with the silver cat ring :haw:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

I've had my fair share of summons (me or others) getting stuck behind fog walls and/or mysteriously dying, but from what little co-op I've done it seems more stable. I rarely summon though, the online interactions that interests me are messages, ghosts and bloodstains :shobon:

Also, summons are voluntary and aid you in something you were already doing solo, while invasions are involuntary and have the sole purpose of loving up your progress. Lag is clearly a bigger issue in the latter, to the point where the entire game mechanic is completely and utterly detrimental to my enjoyment of the game. I'm sure everyone can agree that RNG deaths shouldn't be a part of a Souls game, but here we are :v:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
the proper wedding rings are havels rings and ring of favor and protection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the game has an easier time tracking two people hitting a big monster than two people trying to hit each other