Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wait, is that what people mean when they say Brian obviously outed the guy? That he was clearly Tyler's dad? I didn't get that at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Business posted:

Go back and listen to the clips and consider how carefully everything is written, and how many really smart radio producers with decades of experience were involved in this, and how long they have been crafting this whole story, listening to the same clips over and over again. Even if it's not literally true (which again they aren't saying), the implication is there and they know it

stop

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

If the two people most inconvenienced by the podcast are the KKK dude who bought the property and Tyler's lovely dad, I could not care less.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Escobarbarian posted:

Wait, is that what people mean when they say Brian obviously outed the guy? That he was clearly Tyler's dad? I didn't get that at all.

That's the first I've heard that theory floated. Everyone else is concerned that Brian Reed provided enough information to out the interview subject within his small community and, even worse, framed the "off the record" interview in a way that inherently plays into innuendo and gives more credibility to John as "accuser" than to the "accused."

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 4, 2017

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

It wasn't the uncut mystery crack that Serial S1 was but still I really loved S-Town. What a fascinating guy John was.

I hear the charges of voyeurism, but the majority of this was built on interviews by people - John, Tyler, Rita - who were itching to tell their side of the story. So he let them. I'm okay with it.

PS, John literally referred to Tyler's dad as a "child molester" so I don't think that was the guy.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I didn't get that impression either.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I listened to the whole thing over the last 2 days.

Initially, I though it was going to be like Serial. But the podcast art, ending song, and insanity through he first 2 eps made me think it might be fake to the point I didn't want to Google any of the locations and names because it would kill my suspension of disbelief.

All in all, A+ recommended.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

outlier posted:

There's at least one person who the reporter doesn't know the name of, which would indicate that not everyone signed off. What are the guidelines for this sort of thing?

I don't know about audio but if you film people you need a few signatures to use the footage commercially.

I think the format downplays the fact that this audio was captured over a rather long period of time (my impression is years?) so it's easy to view this as forensically picking apart some crazy dude's life but John reached out to the reporter over a period of years and invited him to become part of his life. Do these guys hanging out in a secret bar at a tattoo shop fully understand the implications of appearing on an internationally famous podcast? Should a lawyer be present to tell them what they should and should not say? In what way would that be journalism?

I'll admit standing outside Richard Simmons' house with a boom box is going too far. To me, this story about John humanized everyone involved. That's the most a documentarian should hope to achieve in depicting his subjects; anything else is a form of lying or fabricating the story.

quote:

It's very much the NPR style, isn't it? And I found the reporter a bit fake as well.

Definitely. It's become a trope in podcasts and is even worse on the ones that do this for no reason. I tried listening to a new serial murder podcast last month and they spent more time introducing each other than talking about the killer. Nobody listens to podcasts about serial murderers because they love hearing about the people who make the podcast. My observation is that a lot of people try to copy the wrong elements about popular shows. Koenig and her assistant were the least interesting part of Serial.

I listen to NPR in the car and like to play a game where I see how long it takes them to shoehorn some minority or immigrant group into a story where they don't belong. I swear they'd do a story on bees and it'd be about a Muslim Somali refugee family raising bees in Brooklyn, which they'd connect back to the travel ban.

I know they are playing to a generational audience and eventually the Chapo Trap House guys will be running All Things Considered, but it's just kind of silly how they instill neoliberal value signaling into every last millisecond of airtime.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

bad day posted:

I listen to NPR in the car and like to play a game where I see how long it takes them to shoehorn some minority or immigrant group into a story where they don't belong. I swear they'd do a story on bees and it'd be about a Muslim Somali refugee family raising bees in Brooklyn, which they'd connect back to the travel ban.

HOW DARE YOU SAY IT DOESN'T BELONG [/FakeOutrage]

Listening to the podcast, a huge portion of these stories are someone making things much more difficult than they need to be because of some cultural hang up, or just plain being a fish out of water who doesn't know how to navigate their situation.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

bad day posted:

... it's just kind of silly how they instill neoliberal value signaling into every last millisecond of airtime.

I think Sean Hannity has a podcast that may be more your liking.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

bad day posted:

why are they always talking about minorities i want to hear about AMERICAN lives :heritage:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

bad day posted:

I know they are playing to a generational audience and eventually the Chapo Trap House guys will be running All Things Considered, but it's just kind of silly how they instill neoliberal value signaling into every last millisecond of airtime.

i'm just gonna quote this for posterity

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
I really don't care if the stories I listen to at work confirm my values or highlight the plight of oppressed and disadvantaged peoples. I just like good stories. S-Town was a good story - I can tell because some parts of it kind of upset me and are still running around the back of my brain, days later.

A really good radio story unpacks in your mind. You think about it afterwards. This is what I like about TAL. NPR weekday shows are the exact opposite - if there's a big storm somewhere they'll do a story about the family of gay Tibetan throat singers who run a Montessori school there. It's a good format, I guess? Do people actually like it? I'm a big Planet Money fan which is strangely exempt from this rule (because it's a podcast?).

bad day fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 5, 2017

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

See, this is stupid because that's not what I'm saying. This is a format they use because it tests well with their base demographic. It's just another example of how marketing techniques have leaked into news content. I could care less about where people are from I just think it's lame to have such an obvious moral agenda and try to pretend it doesn't exist.

Not only that but I'm really not interested in what people who think they need to teach me values have to say. Unfortunately there's nothing else halfway decent on the radio.

bad day fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 5, 2017

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I CAME HERE FOR A STORY ABOUT BEES NOT MUSLIMS YOU NEOLIBERAL SCUM shouted the normal man at his radio

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

bad day posted:

See, this is stupid because that's not what I'm saying. This is a format they use because it tests well with their base demographic. It's just another example of how marketing techniques have leaked into news content. I could care less about where people are from I just think it's lame to have such an obvious moral agenda and try to pretend it doesn't exist.

Not only that but I'm really not interested in what people who think they need to teach me values have to say. Unfortunately there's nothing else halfway decent on the radio.

I think part of it is they were investigating their 20,000 story about news topic of the day and then they actually found a story that broke out of the norm.

Still beats the mould of, "I was talking to this person I go to temple with, and you would not believe what is going on in their family!"

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
Yeah, my impression is it's a sort of selection bias where producers know what stories get aired and specifically tailor their reporting to maximize personal success. I'm not saying it's some kind of NPR conspiracy but the end result is rather silly at times.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
that's literally describing an NPR conspiracy

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

sexpig by night posted:

that's literally describing an NPR conspiracy

No, it's literally not? :confused:

NPR does stories about major news topics, and if they find a secondary story along the way they flesh it out to another content block? :confused:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Tyler robbed that place blind y'all.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Totally and he didn't give one poo poo about taking a school bus worth of junk and trying to build a house with it. He probably stole a lot more before and after johnny bs death.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Invalid Validation posted:

Totally and he didn't give one poo poo about taking a school bus worth of junk and trying to build a house with it. He probably stole a lot more before and after johnny bs death.

Definitely. I let out a WTF when he said he took John's vehicles. What the hell are you going to do with vehicles registered to someone else, Tyler?! Forge the deed and sell them, apparently.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Sup guys just popping into this thread to unironically speak the term Virtue Signaling and also complain about minorities.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Just wanted to say
uncle Jimmy is the best

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Just wanted to say
uncle Jimmy is the best

This.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Listened to all of S-Town yesterday and by the middle of episode 2, I was wishing for more of this interesting guy that started the whole thing instead of a murder story.

I was not happy with how my wish came true.:smith:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Listened to all of S-Town yesterday and by the middle of episode 2, I was wishing for more of this interesting guy that started the whole thing instead of a murder story.

i just wanted to listen the radio guy follow john and like they go around the woodstock area having wacky misadventures :mad:

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
it's funny cuz I initially started the show with a less than positive impression of John. he kind of comes off as your typical hateful medium fish in a small pond intellectual, even if it's truly a lovely town. Kinda just feeling like he's better than everyone and going on what initially seem like bizarre and tangential rants. Plus there are those initial vibes that he may be full of poo poo with regards to whatever he led Brian in on.

of course you find out that he's a complex and contradictory human being like the rest of us and get on this empathetic emotional rollercoaster

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Just wanted to say
uncle Jimmy is the best

YEAS

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

DEATH. DEATH!

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

BOO KOO GOLD!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Just wanted to say
uncle Jimmy is the best

gawd drat yayess

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Just finished S-Town.

That was amazing. Especially when you got to the end and wound up looking at the players in whole new lights.

I'm just getting back into TAL after a while away, and that's definitely a great way to get back in.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

in_cahoots posted:

This is pretty much how I feel. The "but he's an atheist" argument seemed particularly specious. Atheists have families too, just because they're dead and gone doesn't mean their secrets can't cause others pain.

There's just something unseemly about a paranoid mentally ill man calling up a reporter, and that reporter using it as carte blanche to reveal all the details of his personal life. Even people who are used to talking to reporters usually get briefed on what to say and what to expect, because it's easy to say things in the moment without realizing how they will come back to bite you. This man had no way of guessing what would come out of his conversations.

Maybe he should have thought of that (along with many other factors) before he killed himself.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
"Things other people do after a guy dies are the dead guy's fault." -Goons

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I'm gonna guess most people wouldn't care if much more time had passed before airing. However, they knew what they were getting into, the cousin was warned multiple times by her husband not to speak on tape but couldn't help herself.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

UltraRed posted:

"Things other people do after a guy dies are the dead guy's fault." -Goons
Nah but tbf for someone with such strong judgments and opinions (with a history of suicidal idealation) he did go into death completely unprepared
I mean it's hosed up that he didn't even leave some sort of mechanism/instructions behind to protect his mama. I understand the burden of being a caretaker, of having to take care of a sick mother, and I imagine it drives you crazy and cruel over a long enough period esp. if it's all your life is, but that part with her just being locked in a padded room or whatever was hosed up.
On the other hand, mental illness, plus when you're a suicidal atheist I doubt you care about what happens when you're worm food...so f the world. A man of contradictions just like the rest of us.
Maybe that just throws water on the fire of the idea that he really really wanted to leave money to help X or Y, or that he had considerable wealth left over at all

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

bad day posted:

Hey man, didn't know you had an account, how's K3 Lumber doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

"neoliberal value signaling"

that word, i do not think it means what you think it means

• Locked thread