Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I enjoy and appreciate the Beatles a whole, whole lot, but when I'm looking for just straight-up listening pleasure, nine times out of ten, I prefer the Monkees, the group that is so often and unfairly compared unfavorably against them.

And Head was better than any movie the Beatles ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

While we're on the subject of music: I actually like disco. No joke.The Saturday Night Fever soundtrack is one of my favorite albums.

The backlash against disco confuses me. If you don't like that style of music, just don't listen to it. I'm not sure why there was an entire record burning movement against it.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Good disco music is still very listenable and the Saturday Night Fever soundtrack is a great album. The late-70's backlash against it was mostly because disco permeated everything - classic rock, soul, pop, drat near every artist released some sort of discofied poo poo and most of it was terrible. Plus it ruined funk, which was too bad, as funk is more interesting.

I loved disco for a while, I was a ten-year-old kid and thought it was great, but when I got older it was the kiss of death to admit you liked disco, so I bad-mouthed it along with everybody else as we listened to Back In Black. By the Nineties, I was like 'gently caress it, I'll listen to what I want' and bought all the classic disco stuff on CD. Chic, Bee Gees, Donna Summer, all of Casablanca Record's 12" singles- it's all good.

Plus, truth be told, there was a strong element of anti-gay/minority bullshit in the no-disco movement, it was sort of a taste of things to come, what with the sort of redneck glorification movement that took root in the 80's. You saw the same thing with the anti-rap people in the Eighties, there just wasn't a record-burning party at a baseball stadium.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The constant references to and jokes about disco in Martian were pretty annoying, but otherwise I think it's pretty inoffensive.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

While we're on the subject of music: I actually like disco. No joke.The Saturday Night Fever soundtrack is one of my favorite albums.

The backlash against disco confuses me. If you don't like that style of music, just don't listen to it. I'm not sure why there was an entire record burning movement against it.

The backlash against disco ended like a decade ago. In fact a lot of current bands are pretty much straight up disco.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Pitchfork loving loves disco. I don't at all, but the backlash is one of the earliest examples of "rockism."

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Rhett and Link are good are Good Mythical Morning is too

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Everyone has preferences in terms of food, and most people have a handful of things they don't like, but if there are a significant number of foods that you can't stand, that reflects poorly on you as a person.

Celiacs and people who can be felled by the gentle caress of a single peanut get some leeway on this one.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The backlash on Disco had a lot to do with racism and homophobia.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Political opponents aren't criminals. So no.

You don't see where these two areas would crossover whatsoever in a society that can legally execute anyone

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Like I'm not going to report you or whatever but I hope you eventually come to recognize that "give the police total freedom to murder anyone" is the worst opinion posted in this thread by far

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Don't worry my friend, I already did.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Watch Judge Dredd it rules

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Mu Zeta posted:

Watch Judge Dredd it rules

Reported

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
More like Old Dreddless.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

oldpainless posted:

Don't worry my friend, I already did.

Oh thank god I wanted to come off as "slightly concerned old lady neighbor" and not "intensely involved in your life in a negative way from a distance old lady neighbor"

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Its like when I play Secret Hitler. Never vote for anyonr else to be in power, but demand it for yourself. The only benevolent dictator you know to be true is yourself!

The worlds a mess and I just need to rule it.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Watched An American Tale for the first time since i was a very little kid, and it bad. That animation, whew boy. ANd i dont know why they thought it was a good idea to have the kid child actor actually sing "Somewhere Out There". Also the story was all dumb.

Watched FernGully for the first time since I was a very little kid, and it...okay. Its very pretty and got some good songs, but the main theme is kind of preachy and unfair to humans. I mean, the fairies have magical powers and all the animals are their friends, of course they get along with nature. Humans, meanwhile, have to survive. A lizard tries to eat the human and only stops because the fairy says he's her friend. But it was a passable animated film.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Blue Star posted:

Watched An American Tale for the first time since i was a very little kid, and it bad. That animation, whew boy. ANd i dont know why they thought it was a good idea to have the kid child actor actually sing "Somewhere Out There". Also the story was all dumb.

Watched FernGully for the first time since I was a very little kid, and it...okay. Its very pretty and got some good songs, but the main theme is kind of preachy and unfair to humans. I mean, the fairies have magical powers and all the animals are their friends, of course they get along with nature. Humans, meanwhile, have to survive. A lizard tries to eat the human and only stops because the fairy says he's her friend. But it was a passable animated film.

I loved Ferngully as a kid but even then I found something about it sort of offputting. Seeing clips of it as an adult it's just got this "do they know it's Christmas time at all" tone deaf 80s-early 90s thing going on

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I remember being insulted by those really pro-environmental movies as a kid. It wasn't enough to teach you that the nature is important and needs to be preserved; they had to really hammer in that you, as a human being, are a horrible piece of poo poo for needing things as reprehensible as paper or a house, you motherfucker.
You wanna help preserve nature? Shoot a deer.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
As an adult, I hate nature, and I want to bullzone, pave, and subjugate it all.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Das Boo posted:

I remember being insulted by those really pro-environmental movies as a kid. It wasn't enough to teach you that the nature is important and needs to be preserved; they had to really hammer in that you, as a human being, are a horrible piece of poo poo for needing things as reprehensible as paper or a house, you motherfucker.
You wanna help preserve nature? Shoot a deer.

True, but as OP of the Aliexpress thread, let's be honest, most poo poo people buy they have never, ever needed.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Pick posted:

True, but as OP of the Aliexpress thread, let's be honest, most poo poo people buy they have never, ever needed.

We do this because we are adaptive creatures. And we learn adaptation through all the times we really needed that melon baller we threw out just loving yesterday.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

People who grow up in deep car-centric suburbia or anywhere you are totally dependant on your parents for transportation until you hit 16 come out socially stunted and weird like an indoor cat. Generally helpless after 16+ years of their parents having to arrange their entire lives and ferry them everywhere and unable to handle people or ideas outside of what ever narrow little class/race segregated suburbia they grew up in. You can gently caress a kid up just as bad even if you live somewhere "walkable" but you're a paranoid helicopter parent.

Many can become fully functional well adjusted humans after university or just being exposed to the real world, but a lot get stuck in a state of arrested development from their helpless suburban upbringing.

But worst of all, beyond thier inability to empathise with people outside of their class, beyond their secret (or vocal) fears of other races or "urban people", beyond their pathetic helplessness and feeling of malaise when in any environmental that isn't a familiar suburb, office park, or strip mall, beyond all this many of them end up the worst sort of scum of the earth: picky eaters.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
That doesn't fit with my personal experience at all. That basically describes myself and everyone I went to school with and the ratio of normal to weird was about average with the rest of the country.

Now the kids who never got a driver's license or ever had a car even when they were able to in that environment, those are the weird ones.

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

I really like the Resident Evil films.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Alienwarehouse posted:

I really like the Resident Evil films.

Yeah they're popular and good. Nerds don't like them because they don't authentically replicate the experience of early Resident Evil games, Milla Jovovich's character isn't constantly bumping into walls because of lovely controls or shooting at zombies she can't see because of the lovely camera.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Fast Five is the only good movie in the Fast and Furious franchise.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

I hate people that don't use U-turns regularly while driving.

Apartment complex on the other side of the road? You could stop in the middle of a four-lane road and wait for the traffic on the other side to make room for you, endangering the drivers around you because idiots get frustrated and just pull out into the other lane. Or, you could go up about 20 yards and just take a u-turn.

Looking like you're going to miss a turn? No biggie, just keep going and take a u-turn as soon as you can. Don't swerve across 3 lanes without your blinker on because you just remembered the vape shop is on exit 93

Like it solves so many problems for you and the people around you

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Anything to the right of full worker control of the means of production and the abolishment of private property is bourgie claptrap

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah they're popular and good. Nerds don't like them because they don't authentically replicate the experience of early Resident Evil games, Milla Jovovich's character isn't constantly bumping into walls because of lovely controls or shooting at zombies she can't see because of the lovely camera.

I recently watched all six of them with a few :beerpal:'s on my day off. Holy poo poo, we had a blast.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Magnusth posted:

Anything to the right of full worker control of the means of production and the abolishment of private property is bourgie claptrap

bourgie claptrap is cool and good

The workers won't be able to decide anything as a unit until a strong corrupt leader rises from among them anyway.

And if the workers seize control then better means of production will be built elsewhere by people with money. If they can't get a return no further means of production will be built.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What are the means of production going to be in a post-industrial society?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Soiled Meat
Capital is still capital, even if less of it gets invested into tangible assets.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Wheat Loaf posted:

What are the means of production going to be in a post-industrial society?

youtube reaction videos?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Low Desert Punk posted:

Rhett and Link are good are Good Mythical Morning is too

Jesus :lol:.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

you like that? I got more hot takes. corn on pizza is good. oooooo

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I like snow and rain and cloudy skies. I like cold wind and the quiet atmosphere of winter. Snow doesn't bother me at all. I have no idea why people whine so hard about it.

I hate clear skies and long sunny days.

I live in Phoenix.

The Skeleton King has a new favorite as of 00:09 on Apr 20, 2017

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Making a pass at someone shouldnt be considered harassment if its not done after being rejected or told to stop. Telling someone you fancy them isnt necessarily bad in itself and its harmful to perpetuate that norm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Jastiger posted:

Making a pass at someone shouldnt be considered harassment if its not done after being rejected or told to stop. Telling someone you fancy them isnt necessarily bad in itself and its harmful to perpetuate that norm.
It's already not considered harassment if you're doing it at an appropriate place and time.