Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I'm back with more questions about why numbers don't seem to matter in combat. 1.1k of my corvettes vs 1.2k of their corvettes, and the somehow do 4x the damage.

Here is what I was up against

I started with torpedos and got my rear end handed to me.

So I switched to a similar version of what they were rocking

And still got loving wiped

I just need to never try early game wars because no matter what builds I use or what I'm up against this always seems to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Kimsemus posted:

I don't think he was. He was hyper Spiritualist. The Emperor believes that the only way for mankind to be safe is to exterminate any xenos and deviation in mankind until the rest of man is ready for the same psychic awakening he had. The Emperor is an ascended man, who's simply mastered the psychic powers that are developing in the rest of the species.

So for RP purposes in Stellaris, a combo of Spiritualist/militarist/xenophobe makes the most sense to me. The 2nd Ascension trait that allows all your species to unlock their psychic powers is kind of a natural evolution -- the present Imperium in 40k lore is more at the precursor awakening stage.

I have a sneaky suspicion that if someone wanted to make a prebuilt faction that was fanatic spiritualist/fanatic militarist/fanatic xenophobe/fanatic authoritarian the game would probably let you do it. A lot of the normal rules dont apply to prebuilt factions. I will see if I can add an Imperium of Man sort of empire to the goon mod tonight. Anyone want to provide a description that plays on the idea but also adds a new twist?

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Torpedoes are loving terrible against corvettes. They're great against space stations though, so they're actually a pretty good early game tech to re-fit part of your fleet to to kill starports.

Your second fight wasn't with pure coilguns, you've got laser and missile damage done so I'm not sure what your fleet comp actually was. Looks like the other guy has a slight tech edge to go with his bigger fleet. Also there could be govt differences (still not sure if those bonuses are all reflected in fleet strength or not).

In general, don't engage even numbers if you can help it. You're not even building to your fleet cap, when you could afford to build up to like 60-70 corvettes and attack.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
It would be nice if there was an auto campaign for my fleets like with science ships. I would really like to just let the computer handle mop up

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Demon_Corsair posted:

I'm back with more questions about why numbers don't seem to matter in combat. 1.1k of my corvettes vs 1.2k of their corvettes, and the somehow do 4x the damage.

I just need to never try early game wars because no matter what builds I use or what I'm up against this always seems to happen.

Torpedoes are accurate but have no tracking, which means half of them will just get flat dodged because evasion basically subtracts from tracking first and then accuracy, which means your torps are actually about 40% accurate, they are the worst thing to use on corvettes. Your second attempt has worse shields than theirs and if you look, they also do an extra 15% damage or so, probably they have a fire rate buff from their empire. Your ships are weaker and doing less damage and that will snowball as you lose ships.

So you went in with about 20% fewer ships which each do 15% less damage. Bear in mind that when faced with a mass of equal targets the AI will often spread its fire out and they were using shields, and your ships will have been focused down much faster than theirs.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Apr 18, 2017

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Well, that's a nice enough card draw on Day One :staredog:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Demon_Corsair posted:

Well the tech matters. The first problem was Torpedoes. They're a trap in the early game because their low tracking makes them terrible against small, evasive targets...like all those enemy corvettes. The second problem was your shields. You went into battle with ships with identical guns but with only 60 shields to their 90 shields. And you went in with fewer ships. If you're going to win a fight you've got to be either better or more. You went in with worse and fewer. And what should have happened is what happened. :shrug:

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I had a few of the old torpedo corvettes left that I didn't have time to retrofit, and one destroyer with plasma.

After my first fleet was wiped they came to attack me and that's all I had time to make.

This is gonna be a nasty war of attrition. I destroyed their new colony and I'm pretty sure I have more minerals per month.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Lowen posted:

This was a whole bunch of pages ago but I just want to note that IIRC some mods don't disable achievements; notably some graphics replacement/addition mods like more empire colors or more flags.
Ah. Thanks for the correction - I briefly wondered if that was actually true as I was writing it, but I figured namelists couldn't possibly have been left off of a modding whitelist.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Demon_Corsair posted:

I had a few of the old torpedo corvettes left that I didn't have time to retrofit, and one destroyer with plasma.

After my first fleet was wiped they came to attack me and that's all I had time to make.

This is gonna be a nasty war of attrition. I destroyed their new colony and I'm pretty sure I have more minerals per month.

Make sure the first battle is by your station. Drop a platform with a warp trap next to it. Pull 'em right in and hit them with everything you've got while splitting their fire against the hard targets.

Also, ugggggh I was enjoying this game so much but I am probably gonna have to abandon it.

War in Heaven is just completely broken. Like the parts that work are stupid (hope you never invested in the vassals or tributaries traditions because you lose them all even if you refuse to bend the knee!) but then it gets even worse. Did you know that if you declare yourself neutral in the War in Heaven but don't have enough diplomacy tradition, the league doesn't form but you don't get the chance to join later? Also, if you ever select the tradition later, every awakened FE declares war on you and you alone, not just the two guys who you might have been able to take! So instead of me and all my vassals and a league (like 8 guys offered to join and I said ok and then they buggered off and joined an FE lmao) fighting two FE's, it was me and me alone fighting both of those FE's and another FE that had previously awakened to wank off in the corner while I killed the unbidden, and the endless unwinnable war I was stuck in to serve as a distraction.

Also it actually becomes impossible to win wars at that point, since occupying every planet and destroying every ship of an enemy empire only grants 16 warscore for that war assuming you're the only one involve... and usually you aren't so you won't be able to get more than like 5.

Welp, it was a good run I guess.

Also my species got flipped by psionic ascension and some other whacky stuff happened.

Also is it possible for the War in Heaven to ever end on it's own? Can I wait for this to all just blow over? Or is it completely dependent on me personally to destroy one or both of them?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Apr 18, 2017

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

PittTheElder posted:

Like the others have said, there's no option that will cause pops to die off progressively, even though that would make a lot of sense. There's just a timer on how long it takes a pop to die, and it's now pretty long at 5 years, used to be like 3 months, it was much nicer for Space Hitlering.

What you can do though to avoid having to manually recolonize all those worlds though is to resettle some people around.

Displacement purges will get rid of pops progressively, but it won't exactly KILL them (well not directly - it will get rid of them by event, either as refugees or "resettling into uncharted regions") so it might not be as emotionally satisfying.

On the other hand, it doesn't appear to incur the Genocidal diplo-penalty so it's something you can still use if you don't want the entire map to try and kill you just yet.

Cling-Wrap Condom
Jul 23, 2015

I'm tryna get my peen touched, pants.

GlyphGryph posted:

Make sure the first battle is by your station. Drop a platform with a warp trap next to it. Pull 'em right in and hit them with everything you've got while splitting their fire against the hard targets.

Also, ugggggh I was enjoying this game so much but I am probably gonna have to abandon it.

War in Heaven is just completely broken. Like the parts that work are stupid (hope you never invested in the vassals or tributaries traditions because you lose them all even if you refuse to bend the knee!) but then it gets even worse. Did you know that if you declare yourself neutral in the War in Heaven but don't have enough diplomacy tradition, the league doesn't form but you don't get the chance to join later? Also, if you ever select the tradition later, every awakened FE declares war on you and you alone, not just the two guys who you might have been able to take! So instead of me and all my vassals and a league (like 8 guys offered to join and I said ok and then they buggered off and joined an FE lmao) fighting two FE's, it was me and me alone fighting both of those FE's and another FE that had previously awakened to wank off in the corner while I killed the unbidden, and the endless unwinnable war I was stuck in to serve as a distraction.

Also it actually becomes impossible to win wars at that point, since occupying every planet and destroying every ship of an enemy empire only grants 16 warscore for that war assuming you're the only one involve... and usually you aren't so you won't be able to get more than like 5.

Also my species got flipped by psionic ascension and some other whacky stuff happened.

Fallen Empires, and everything about and around them, suck. The war in heaven is unfun and poo poo. They don't help with endgame crises any more than before, they're just huge "gently caress you" orbs hanging over your head that you can't do anything about until the endgame, whereupon you have to engage with the unbelievably obtuse combat mechanics in order to powerfuck your way through their needlessly strong defenses in order to... conquer them like any other species for no real gain. Seriously, why even attack an FE? If you can win, you don't need to.

Utopia is good, it's very good in fact. But the combat/warfare in Stellaris is still total junk. It's core to the game, and needs so much more work.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
I also lost an ironman game to war in heaven bugs (stuck at 57% warscore while occupying everything). I hope they fix it soon...

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Dallan Invictus posted:

Displacement purges will get rid of pops progressively, but it won't exactly KILL them (well not directly - it will get rid of them by event, either as refugees or "resettling into uncharted regions") so it might not be as emotionally satisfying.

On the other hand, it doesn't appear to incur the Genocidal diplo-penalty so it's something you can still use if you don't want the entire map to try and kill you just yet.

How long does it usually take? I displaced pops from a planet given to me in an AI war, and there were still nine xenos on it after fifty years.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Also is it possible for the War in Heaven to ever end on it's own? Can I wait for this to all just blow over? Or is it completely dependent on me personally to destroy one or both of them?

If the end event happened it was worth it, hail chaos :black101:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Anticheese posted:

How long does it usually take? I displaced pops from a planet given to me in an AI war, and there were still nine xenos on it after fifty years.
Goddamn forever, that's how long.

I haven't checked the events to verify, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that the rate of getting rid of them decreases with the remaining population, so that the last few would basically never leave.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

It really sucks because that's just, like... 12 hours of my life, hahah.

Oh wait, alcaras, I think I may have found a solution for both of us!

Console command:
code:
 surrender [country id] [war id] 

Using only [country id] parameter lists wars with their appropriate war_ids for given country. 
or
code:
kill_country [country id]
To figure out who is who I save, I just do "surrender [double digit number]" until I find the right guys (without a war id it just lists their name and wars).

Fallen empires should start around where you set the limit for civs for the galaxy.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I think not having the ability to form Federations screwed up my last War in Heaven but another AI empire was able to form The League of Non-Aligned Worlds properly and then proceeded to not invite anyone. Though I think they already had a federation of their own at the time? I don't know, I wasn't paying too close attention, federations are a waste of time anyway when you can just beat the tar out of everyone yourself. On the plus side, even though the War triggered and I refused to join a side I don't think the war kicked off properly because they never declared war on me so that was a plus; it bought me time while they fought with someone else who was also able to hold them off. The Awakened empires did steal some vassals I was waiting to integrate but I got them back latter so no big deal.

Even though everything was bugged I was able to declare war on one of the Awakened empires and ended up taking all of their planets. The game still properly acknowledged that one side had fallen and the War in Heaven was 'over'. It also properly noted that it was one of the non-aligned empires that did it. I don't know if any other bonuses are conferred on you after winning but I didn't get any so I guess if you were supposed to that was still broken. Who cares though because if you have one of the FE's home world you're pretty much set for the rest of the game.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Woah, for some reason I thought the Total Victory wargoal would just immediately cede all their stuff. I thought it was a convenience! Instead it completely wipes them off the map!? Woah.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Cling-Wrap Condom posted:

Fallen Empires, and everything about and around them, suck. The war in heaven is unfun and poo poo. They don't help with endgame crises any more than before, they're just huge "gently caress you" orbs hanging over your head that you can't do anything about until the endgame, whereupon you have to engage with the unbelievably obtuse combat mechanics in order to powerfuck your way through their needlessly strong defenses in order to... conquer them like any other species for no real gain. Seriously, why even attack an FE? If you can win, you don't need to.

Utopia is good, it's very good in fact. But the combat/warfare in Stellaris is still total junk. It's core to the game, and needs so much more work.

I mean sure you could argue that once you have a fleet that can beat a FE the worlds you capture aren't all that great, but getting the Materialist Ringworld is a serious boon. I usually play Stellaris to build up a strong, prosperous empire and don't really give a gently caress about the win conditions--in the one Utopia game I've played to completion I only won because my federation allies kept declaring wars that gave me vassals which I then integrated, and the AI was for some reason sitting on its rear end while I colonized the poo poo out of the galaxy (with 100% adaptable synths).

I like Fallen Empires in general, but it does sound like the war of heaven is terribly bugged in some instances, and in other parts its poorly designed (the Total Victory war goal is really, really bad).

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

alcaras posted:

What's your secret for making the various factions happy? In my games I've found they had unreasonable desires that I could never (or didn't want to) satisfy. I confess I still haven't wrapped my head around the care and feeding of factions. (Playing as a Hive Mind right now so blissfully free of their troubles).

Figure out what their issues are and make them happy/unhappy, suppress any factions which are likely to be unhappy with your play style.

I'm lucky that the way factions are meshes with the way I play; I like democracy, I don't purge, I don't enslave, everyone is given equal rights with Utopian abundance, and I never get involved in federations.

Pacifists/Egalitarian are good passive earners from the get go, Xenophiles too but only if I'm able to forge diplomatic ties with a number of friendly states - I'll tick the passive study only for pre-FTL sentient unless in in a hurry to get their world/species, in which case I'll deal with them being upset for 10 years. Spiritualists will remain content so long as you don't do anything robotic or colonise tomb worlds (they have no issue with Terraforming them), but really only become earners once you get a Gaia World or go Psionic. Militarists will get a boost when you go on the warpath, but otherwise will remain content so long as you avoid joining federations and can wage unrestricted wars.

It's really just ticking boxes.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Okay, so, I just decided to finish this game by console-ing my way to victory.

I actually had to conquer two FE's to trigger the war in heaven. Despite everything say it was a war between two guys, it looks like every FE counted as an entrant and only one man could be left standing.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

About purging:
I conquered some hive mind planets that were 100% full so that none of my pops could migrate over nor could I build any robots. I was paranoid the planets I had won were going to depopulate and I'd lose them. Even though the tool tip said every pop was going to be exterminated at the exact same time, over the course of the purge some started to vanish early. This gave me some empty tiles to quickly build robots or transfer my own pops over, but still required me to constantly monitor the situation. About 25% of then died before the timer, then once that hit the remaining 75% all died at once.

I understand what they were going for by having purges and such species specific, but there's still so many cases where you just want to thin the herd or only purge certain worlds. The species-specific rights and purging is fantastic, but we still need some fine-grain per-pop controls here and there for some situations.

A "displacement" setting would be great too. The pop lives until another pop migrates or tries to grow into that tile, at which point the pop set to displacement is removed. This would be a perfect setting for situations where you don't necessarily want the race 100% eliminated, just out of the way for your true citizens to grow and replace them. Once you feel they've been pruned enough, turn the setting off.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

GlyphGryph posted:

God bless our brave beta testers working hard on Utopia o7

Leafy Wall
Oct 12, 2011
So I'm trying to find a mod that lets you go down the Psychic ascension path as a Hive Mind and I'm having very little luck finding one that actually... y'know, works. Anyone had any luck with that?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Anticheese posted:

Strudel Man posted:

Goddamn forever, that's how long.

I haven't checked the events to verify, but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that the rate of getting rid of them decreases with the remaining population, so that the last few would basically never leave.

The MTTH for each individual pop is fifty years, so yeah. As far as I can tell it isn't affected by numbers. Maybe there's some hardcoded movement in addition to the events though?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Is there a mod that makes Defensive Pacts have a cost for NPC Empires?

I'm kind of sick of the end game being two giant blobs and myself not doing anything.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Hahah, I can't take back my subjects because I'm not considered independent anymore.

I can make them tributaries though!

Edit:
Also, people are still asking to join the League of Non-aligned Powers even though

a) It doesn't and has never existed
b) The war in heaven is over and there's no one to non-align against

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 18, 2017

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I wish there was a way to get enemy fleet info in this game. The diplomacy screen is frequently so wrong its worth less. Why yes this race has 2x my strength at my fleet cap, our fleet size and fleet power are definitely equivalent.

And there go my mineral and power planet. Guess this game is done.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

I found a shielded world.

Oh man I can't wait to see what pops out when I crack this thing open.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

GlyphGryph posted:

I found a shielded world.

Oh man I can't wait to see what pops out when I crack this thing open.

The Spathi like it down there.

Please do not disturb them.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It will be nice when the entire ground combat system is launched into the sun.

My favorite part is the attachments to individual armies. How did stuff like that survive playtesting?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I just found out that Utopia was a thing, and I guess it's been out long enough for people to have an opinion on it. Reading the description and going through the last couple of pages, I guess it's good but still has the same old problems irt warscore, sectors, armies, and the late game slog? Is that about right? I'm a bit surprised ascension isn't straight up a win condition and you still pretty much have to reach a point where you decide you've 'won' and call it good.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Okay, with all the FE's down, and everybody in my federation, now...

I really want to trigger that Shroud event so everyone fucks off to who knows where and any survivors can officially become an FE and stop bothering me with messages about stupid poo poo while I finish my megastructures.

All I need is my megastructures and my black hole habitats and I'm good.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Man, I knew getting about a million vassals would be risky, but not like this. They rebelled, they can't beat me--they only did it because I was weakened a bit by going off to fight the unbidden, but they can't match the fleets.

The problem is the war score. I conquer a planet and I get all of 3% war score for it. And its ticking down ever so slowly, too, because there's not one single doom stack to fight (well, there were a couple, but they were crushed early on) but rather a bunch of tiny sub 5k stacks running around doing harassment on stuff. After capping 7-10 planets I'm at a warscore of 12% because I got down to -10-15% before getting back from the unbidden.

It's just... annoying.

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

BenRGamer posted:

Man, I knew getting about a million vassals would be risky, but not like this. They rebelled, they can't beat me--they only did it because I was weakened a bit by going off to fight the unbidden, but they can't match the fleets.

The problem is the war score. I conquer a planet and I get all of 3% war score for it. And its ticking down ever so slowly, too, because there's not one single doom stack to fight (well, there were a couple, but they were crushed early on) but rather a bunch of tiny sub 5k stacks running around doing harassment on stuff. After capping 7-10 planets I'm at a warscore of 12% because I got down to -10-15% before getting back from the unbidden.

It's just... annoying.

I feel your pain and I think the war score ought to be a bit more robust in regards to taking an entire planet by invasion...

Tedious.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

BenRGamer posted:

It's just... annoying.

Use the console.

Seriously.

Just use the console.

It's an area where the game is clearly unfinished. Half the time it seems outright broken. If you've won, just use the console and WIN already.

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

GlyphGryph posted:

It really sucks because that's just, like... 12 hours of my life, hahah.

Oh wait, alcaras, I think I may have found a solution for both of us!

Console command:
code:
 surrender [country id] [war id] 

Using only [country id] parameter lists wars with their appropriate war_ids for given country. 
or
code:
kill_country [country id]
To figure out who is who I save, I just do "surrender [double digit number]" until I find the right guys (without a war id it just lists their name and wars).

Fallen empires should start around where you set the limit for civs for the galaxy.

Thanks, though unfortunately my save is on Ironman, so I unless there's some way to break Ironman on saves, I'm out of luck.

To remove ironman, I tried the instructions in https://www.reddit.com/r/Stellaris/comments/4jvy7k/how_do_i_remove_the_ironman_from_my_save/ but it didn't work :-( Not sure if they've changed/fixed that approach.

Lesson learned: Don't play ironman, esp if playing with namelist where achievements won't work either despite the game mistakenly saying they will...

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Hey Wiz I have a rather annoying bug for you. For whatever reason there are some Pops who I can't genetically engineer because I can't reach their borders... even though they're in my territory. I even relocated some Pops to a Ringworld and tried engineering them, but got the same error.

Also for whatever reason the Scourge haven't done anything notable in a century. They might also be bugged.

File: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x9qul26p5h5c4xr/2425.02.16.sav?dl=0

Mods:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=683121431
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=899885943
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=901047299
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=784249404
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=691008512
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=686276531
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=684509615
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=810204739
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=803491311
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=804946681
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=803452214
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=779729987
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=836295988
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=808478850

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
I remember reading that Fanatic Purifiers are still bugged re: Xeno Unity interactions, that still the case? If so, there a mod fix?

• Locked thread