Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Why doesn't Porcupine have any range? He's shooting quills on the cover on the back of the card :psyduck:

Morand posted:

Hey! It's a scary doomsday that will laugh off any superman who tries to take him one on one.

http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8835330&postcount=1
Sweet Christmas :love: My buddy and I have been spitballing for years how to appropriately represent his adaptation, and we always went with him gaining immunity to certain powers but we always figured it would be unbalanced; this depiction is much more simple and elegant.

Other Con LEs have been previewed as well: http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=574719
http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=574867

Zeus is a boss fucker appropriate of the title of ruler of the gods; Cyber Shredder looks hilarious, especially that weirdly ridiculous Mond Control; Spider-Carnage is pretty standard until he's kills himself dealing penetrating Flurry/Blades+1 at the end of his dial; Plastic Man is an average tie-up piece that can turn into other average-to-bad tie up pieces, that guy desperately needs a big 10 figure box with a bunch of random Shifting Focus forms; Sinestro seems really good at top dial, and immunity to powers is cool to see again, but Outwit nullifies him PDQ at the middle two levels.

http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8834366&postcount=101
http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8834399&postcount=107

Superman and Ali are amazing, and that boxing ring looks fun as hell. I'm stoked for more costed terrain things like that to mix up the game.

http://wizkids.com/heroclix/2017/03/31/marvel-heroclix-avengersdefenders-war-man-thing/

And finally a new Man-Thing, kind of a surprising inclusion but a great dial and that Defenders Trait is super super useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I figured the boxing ring was going to be just a map on its own or something; the ability to just drop it down onto any map you're on and go NO YOU HAVE TO FIGHT ME IN THE RING amuses the crap out of me.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

CapnAndy posted:

I figured the boxing ring was going to be just a map on its own or something; the ability to just drop it down onto any map you're on and go NO YOU HAVE TO FIGHT ME IN THE RING amuses the crap out of me.

It's also really nice that you still get the map bonus effect if you can't place the ring, so even losing map roll and your opponent choosing one that prevents the ring placement doesn't completely screw you out of the points spent to include it.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Sanschel posted:

Why doesn't Porcupine have any range? He's shooting quills on the cover on the back of the card :psyduck:

Sweet Christmas :love: My buddy and I have been spitballing for years how to appropriately represent his adaptation, and we always went with him gaining immunity to certain powers but we always figured it would be unbalanced; this depiction is much more simple and elegant.

Other Con LEs have been previewed as well: http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=574719
http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=574867

Zeus is a boss fucker appropriate of the title of ruler of the gods; Cyber Shredder looks hilarious, especially that weirdly ridiculous Mond Control; Spider-Carnage is pretty standard until he's kills himself dealing penetrating Flurry/Blades+1 at the end of his dial; Plastic Man is an average tie-up piece that can turn into other average-to-bad tie up pieces, that guy desperately needs a big 10 figure box with a bunch of random Shifting Focus forms; Sinestro seems really good at top dial, and immunity to powers is cool to see again, but Outwit nullifies him PDQ at the middle two levels.

http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8834366&postcount=101
http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8834399&postcount=107

Superman and Ali are amazing, and that boxing ring looks fun as hell. I'm stoked for more costed terrain things like that to mix up the game.

http://wizkids.com/heroclix/2017/03/31/marvel-heroclix-avengersdefenders-war-man-thing/

And finally a new Man-Thing, kind of a surprising inclusion but a great dial and that Defenders Trait is super super useful.

I wish this stuff was easier to get. :(

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:

Red posted:

I wish this stuff was easier to get. :(

Doomsday is a purchasable, same as superman and Ali. They're the easiest to get. If you can't make it to a con, find a friend to go for you!

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Preview! It's Klaw and he's pretty drat good.

http://wizkids.com/heroclix/2017/04/06/marvel-heroclix-avengersdefenders-war-klaw/

Pick any attack power you want, sidestep up to 6 squares through characters, blocking, and hindering and he takes a max of 2 if he misses a senses roll.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

Tomorrow night is 400 Golden. I recently finished off the Iron Maiden set and I'd like to play at least Powerslave. I'm considering running a full-on Iron Maiden theme of Powerslave, Somewhere in Time, and The Final Frontier, possibly with the Millennium Stone to give Powerslave the Millennium Ring and I'm not sure what else (Automatic Regeneration for somebody?). Any suggestions on how to make the most of the beast that is Powerslave?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

ManiacClown posted:

Any suggestions on how to make the most of the beast that is Powerslave?
He's borderline immobile and it's a glaring weakness. Possess him with Black Hand so you can actually take advantage of that good top click with Running Shot and +1 to speed, and you'll get some nice added healing options down the dial too.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

CapnAndy posted:

He's borderline immobile and it's a glaring weakness. Possess him with Black Hand so you can actually take advantage of that good top click with Running Shot and +1 to speed, and you'll get some nice added healing options down the dial too.

Oh, that's a wonderful idea. It allows me to give him added mobility without breaking theme, plus it works out to an even 400. Even better, I actually have Black Hand!

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I finally got to play a team I've been itching to use for months in a quirky format: 500 points, no figure over 100, all points scored are doubled, but every missed attack takes 20 points off your score. I ran the original JSA:

FL Jay Garrick, 75th Mr Terrific, JW Atom, Hourman, Wildcat, Fate, Spectre, Sandman, Hawkman, Johnny Thunder at half, Green Lantern. With my +11 initiative I took us to the JSA museum every round.

Round 1 vs sealed Deadpool booster hodgepodge. The biggest threats on this team were Cable, Tombstone, and Feral, all of which could one-hit KO any figure pretty easily. We both moved up and I started the assault by having Fate choose Empower and carry Wildcat near Feral, Johnny choose Perplex and boost Jay's damage, Terrific Outwit Feral's defense, and Jay knock her into next week. A well placed barrier marker forstalled Tombstone and forced Cable to funnel into the one room he could reach and still see anybody; unfortunately for him it was Terrific in hindering with Jay and Alan next to him and Cable missed the 20 defense even with Prob. Next was Hawkman's turn, bum-rushing Tombstone for a five damage hit, followed by Wildcat and Fate finishing him off. Lantern carried Terrific, threw down a Barrier next to Cable to shut down Stealth so Terrific could Outwit the defense and Sandman took a shot, landing it and countering Cable's Willpower. Cable took a shot on Fate but missed, then Flash and Wildcat took the fight to him and shut him down for good as time was called.

Round 2 vs X-Force: FF Cable & Wolverine, WoS X-23, GSX Domino & LE Archangel, Cypher, all but Cypher with the Uncanny ATA. I moved up, and he spent a very long time plotting a shot he wound up unable to make because he forgot he needed to push Domino to give her Running Shot. Afterwards I had Flash run up and pop Wolverine in the mouth to drop him to last click. His team moved forward so he could attempt a Quake with Archangel, but had to action token everybody just to make it stick. He pushed X-23 to blades Wildcat but only rolled a 1. Lantern threw down a wall next to Wolverine and Sandman shot him for a KO, then Wildcat Quaked and knocked everybody back a bit, and Hawkman swooped in to bash Cable bit as time was called.

Round 3 vs Avengers: CW Goliath, AoU Mockingbird & Ant-Man, Chaos War Sharon Carter, AA Hawkeye and Manifold, CE movie Iron man. I moved up, he busted down a wall and tokened Hawkeye for a big shot, so I positioned Lantern to create some perpetual awkward blocking terrain. He moved Ant-Man close enough that with a TK Flash could pop him, which he did but Super Senses were made. His next turn Iron Man made Leadership and put a second token on Atom but missed the attack on him, then KO'd Flash with Goliath. Wildcat finished off Atom with Empower and Perplex, then I started chipping apart Goliath. Hawkeye had one shot as time was called on Terrific, but again he was next to Lantern and now Johnny Thunder and even a 12 attack wasn't enough to KO the great Terry Sloan. We both scored 130, but his missed twice to my once for a final total of 110 to 90.

These JSA guys were not in any way shape or form what I was hoping for when Joker's Wild was announced, and they seem disappointing on paper, but they work so amazingly well together it boggles the mind. I had no primary attacker because they all filled the roll, everybody had a job to perform and did it well. Except for Hourman, I only gave him two move actions the entire tournament because he's so aggressively not worth using. Other figures I had initially dismissed were way better once I got their gimmick, like using Sandman to shoot someone with no action tokens so the chosen power remains countered until they get a token and then clear. My only complaint is that the Simpler Time trait is so easy for an opponent to work out that it's basically useless; if you're gonna get a bonus against range or a single d6 Prob, then just attack somebody else and force my hand to either share the defense and get an ineffective Simpler Time trait, or make it easier for you to land the attack.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Morand posted:

Doomsday is a purchasable, same as superman and Ali. They're the easiest to get. If you can't make it to a con, find a friend to go for you!

Yeah, but with our baby coming, I can't go to any of the events that would actually sell these. Any friends who'd go to Gen Con or whatever want the same pieces I do. :P

I might ask my in-laws to get some at GenCon, but I don't think I want to ask them to get all these con pieces for me.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I'm working on a scenario and I could use some feedback:

Newest Fantastic Four
Build a 400 point team with exactly four figures; they all gain the Fantastic Four keyword and team ability when building your force. Each figure must meet one of the following distinct requirements:
-Scientist
-Brute
-Woman
-Wild Card

My question is, is it better to go with the simpler, more restricted build requirements as above, or should I open them up a bit more, like this?

- One must have Scientist or be able to use Perplex or Outwit top click
- One must be a woman or able to use Barrier top click
- One must have Brute or able to use Super Strength or a standard reducer of Invulnerability or better top click
- One must have Celebrity or be a Wild Card

Red posted:

Yeah, but with our baby coming, I can't go to any of the events that would actually sell these. Any friends who'd go to Gen Con or whatever want the same pieces I do. :P

I might ask my in-laws to get some at GenCon, but I don't think I want to ask them to get all these con pieces for me.

Cross your fingers that they sell them again on the NECA SDCC page this year; they didn't last year but they had the previous two or three and it was super nice.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Sanschel posted:

I'm working on a scenario and I could use some feedback:

Newest Fantastic Four
Build a 400 point team with exactly four figures; they all gain the Fantastic Four keyword and team ability when building your force. Each figure must meet one of the following distinct requirements:
-Scientist
-Brute
-Woman
-Wild Card

My question is, is it better to go with the simpler, more restricted build requirements as above, or should I open them up a bit more, like this?

- One must have Scientist or be able to use Perplex or Outwit top click
- One must be a woman or able to use Barrier top click
- One must have Brute or able to use Super Strength or a standard reducer of Invulnerability or better top click
- One must have Celebrity or be a Wild Card

I like the more open build, always give players options when designing these things otherwise you'll see the same 3-4 teams over and over.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Batroc zee leap-air is a pretty bonkers 40 points. Sidestep twice for free and attack for free if you have a token.

http://wizkids.com/heroclix/2017/04/12/marvel-heroclix-avengersdefenders-war-batroc/

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Morand posted:

Batroc zee leap-air is a pretty bonkers 40 points. Sidestep twice for free and attack for free if you have a token.

http://wizkids.com/heroclix/2017/04/12/marvel-heroclix-avengersdefenders-war-batroc/
Which means that if he starts a turn with no action tokens and adjacent to somebody, he can hit 'em twice in one turn. That's pretty nasty.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Con Bebop and Rocksteady: http://www.hcrealms.com/forum/showthread.php?t=575336

Long dial, good and consistent as hell stats, just a pair of brutes running around shooting and bashing everything. The Mind Control trait is awesome, even if it means rolling a 19 to use it yourself.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Through begging borrowing and a minimal amount of pure desperate pleading I have managed to acquire all the deadpool chases and the unicorn.

Now if only I had time to play them :(

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I pulled the Unicorn and I want to play it a lot but I hate that it only has the Deadpool Corps keyword because I don't care about the Deadpool Corps and am not likely to get that Mercs For Money FF pack because who cares.

That drat rainbow marker is so cool, though, that I couldn't bring myself to sell it, as much as I should.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

I'm playing Deadpool Corps on Sunday, actually. I will report back on results, but man, they sorely lack any sort of Carry.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

I'm playing Deadpool Corps on Sunday, actually. I will report back on results, but man, they sorely lack any sort of Carry.

Isn't Championpool a giant? And Stingray is a flier.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Red posted:

Isn't Championpool a giant? And Stingray is a flier.
And Golden Age Deadpool can carry, yeah. I should have said "that's worth their points".

Red
Apr 15, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

And Golden Age Deadpool can carry, yeah. I should have said "that's worth their points".

I won't disagree, but I have yet to play Championpool. 175 is a lot, but he brings a lot to the table.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

I pulled the Unicorn and I want to play it a lot but I hate that it only has the Deadpool Corps keyword because I don't care about the Deadpool Corps and am not likely to get that Mercs For Money FF pack because who cares.

That drat rainbow marker is so cool, though, that I couldn't bring myself to sell it, as much as I should.

Eh? He's also got animal and mystical. You could build some fun teams with him. Go full Deadpool with it. A couple witches because this thing is a babe magnet. A version of Dr Strange whose job it is to follow wade going oh no wade HOW DID YOU GET A UNICORN. And so on.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Generic keywords don't count.

At least in my head. I don't much see the point in generic theme teams.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Steve Vader posted:

Spoken by a man who's never played a Pirate team.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Red posted:

Spoken by a man who's never played a Pirate team.

Do you know how many Pirates we're getting in 2017? We already got three in Deadpool, four in Guardians vol 2 (including generics!!), and a pirate Batman. That nearly doubles the pirates we've gotten since Batroc debuted the keyword in Winter Soldier three(!) years ago. It's a great time to be a swashbuckler.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

Map choice! The correct map can win you a game before it even starts.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Morand posted:

Map choice! The correct map can win you a game before it even starts.

Sure, but I'm not particularly good at judging what kind of map my team needs (other than 'lots of hindering or no hindering' or 'I have no range so I need lots of blocking cover')... but really, is that a thing that should happen? Winning a game before playing it?

I know it's anal on my part, but I'd rather my actual team prove it can thrive on any map than get rewarded for hodge-podges. Even though named themes still get map choice options.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I just really prefer playing teams I've seen in a comic or that at least make sense working together.

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

Sure, but I'm not particularly good at judging what kind of map my team needs (other than 'lots of hindering or no hindering' or 'I have no range so I need lots of blocking cover')... but really, is that a thing that should happen? Winning a game before playing it?

I know it's anal on my part, but I'd rather my actual team prove it can thrive on any map than get rewarded for hodge-podges. Even though named themes still get map choice options.

It's not so much about what your team needs, it's more about how to screw your opponent. Long ranges? Grab shadowlands from hulk or my old favorite the black mercy if you are running stealth. Lots of hypersonic hit and run? Lots of walls with object placement being little traps (at least until the rules update) and so on.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Morand posted:

It's not so much about what your team needs, it's more about how to screw your opponent. Long ranges? Grab shadowlands from hulk or my old favorite the black mercy if you are running stealth. Lots of hypersonic hit and run? Lots of walls with object placement being little traps (at least until the rules update) and so on.

See, I always think 'lots of walls' gives HSS suckers more places to hide, more corners to hide around, although I guess the object traps were what made that work. The only time I allow myself to turtle (and I hate doing it) is when I'm facing HSS jerkwads with a team of putzes like the Wild Pack or The Secret Empire or something. I need to stretch them out to have a chance.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

My map philosophy is PLAY BRIDGE, EVERYONE PUNCH EACH OTHER IN THE MIDDLE but it's worth noting that Morand beats me pretty regularly, so go with his advice.

(Bridge tho)

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Choosing the wrong map has straight up been the main reason I've lost matches before, and my opponent choosing poorly is why I've won when I otherwise shouldn't have. Assessing your team vs your opponent's at a glance and determining what map can benefit you while hindering them is probably the most important and overlooked aspect of this game.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Chase Iron Heart is up: http://wizkids.com/heroclix/2017/04/17/marvel-heroclix-avengersdefenders-war-iron-heart/

It's a neat interpretation of a brand new character with cobbled-together armor, a decentish support piece that could last a while or not even survive a push depending on how you roll. Odd that she's a chase and I have no idea what theme is going on here besides random characters.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

New unboxing is up. WAKANDA KEYWORD. W'KABI! WAKANDAN WARRIORS YAY.

Although most people are pitching a fit because Defenders Hawkeye has the exact same dial as JW Green Arrow for 10 points less. Trait and everything.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Steve Vader posted:

Although most people are pitching a fit because Defenders Hawkeye has the exact same dial as JW Green Arrow for 10 points less. Trait and everything.
Seriously? How'd nobody catch that?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Sanschel posted:

Chase Iron Heart is up: http://wizkids.com/heroclix/2017/04/17/marvel-heroclix-avengersdefenders-war-iron-heart/

It's a neat interpretation of a brand new character with cobbled-together armor, a decentish support piece that could last a while or not even survive a push depending on how you roll. Odd that she's a chase and I have no idea what theme is going on here besides random characters.

Could be like, the new generation of heroes thing? So like Mile Morales Spider Man, Ms Marvel, etc? Bit soon for remakes on most of those I guess but Jane Foster Thor is in the Thor set as well so they could be making them again?

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

CapnAndy posted:

Seriously? How'd nobody catch that?

Maybe keywords affect cost? Or Defenders don't have anyone with a 20 defense to copy?

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

thebardyspoon posted:

Could be like, the new generation of heroes thing? So like Mile Morales Spider Man, Ms Marvel, etc? Bit soon for remakes on most of those I guess but Jane Foster Thor is in the Thor set as well so they could be making them again?

The back of the booster showed Shadowland Daredevil as well as World War Hulk, Fraction's Hawkeye, and new Hydra Cap, so assuming those are chases it's just some weird hodgepodge of well known characters being slightly different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

They've already previewed Shadowlands Daredevil and he's definitely a chase. Figuring out any sort of coherent theme that unites first appearance Ironheart and Shadowlands Daredevil is left as an exercise for the reader, because I sure as hell can't think of one.

• Locked thread